Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

baje427

RE: Dushi Korsou- Caribbean Aviation Thread 96

Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:54 pm

Does anyone know if CAL will refit the 767 to have a CAL interior or will they keep the LAN interiors from what I have seen from the J trip reports on CAL their product looks nice they just need to step it up a notch in order to compete on the longhual sectors. I am surprised there is not more traffic between POS-LON is there not a larger Trini population in London than Barbadian I could be wrong.

baje427

Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:56 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 195):

Hey A388 are do you think Insel or DAE will ever attempt an English speaking route I think to Fokker 50 can make CUR-POS as the Dash 8 can.

BW424
Topic Author

Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:36 pm

Quoting baje427 (Reply 200):
Does anyone know if CAL will refit the 767 to have a CAL interior or will they keep the LAN interiors from what I have seen from the J trip reports on CAL their product looks nice they just need to step it up a notch in order to compete on the longhual sectors.

The interiors from LAN will be kept since they are extremely modern and its a relatively short dry-lease (5yrs). The J cabin will have flat-bed seats and the Y will have contemporary IFE.

Quoting westindian425 (Reply 199):
Who is on the board of BW? What are their qualifications?

Old BoD

Arthur Lok Jack (Chairman)
Chairman, Guardian Holdings Limited

Gervase Warner (Board Member)
CEO, Neal and Massey Group of Companies.

Robert Riley (Board Member)
CEO, British Petroleum Trinidad and Tobago (BPTT).

Shafeek Sultan-Khan (Board Member)
Business Consultant

William Lucie-Smith (Board Member)
Certified Chartered Accountant (CPA) and Consultant

New BoD

Rabindra Moonan
Economist/ Small Businessman

Mohan Jaikaran (Vice-Chairman)
Owner, World Indian Network Television (WIN TV)

Venosh Sagewan-Maraj (Board Member)
Political Party Lobbyist & Organizer/Small Businessman

Avedanand Persad (Board Member)
Pundit

Gizelle Russell (Board Member)
Attorney-At-Law

Dennis Lalor (Board Member)
Jamaican representative/ Insurance business mogul
It is what we think we know already that prevents us from learning.......

LimaFoxTango

Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:38 pm

Quoting baje427 (Reply 200):
Does anyone know if CAL will refit the 767 to have a CAL interior or will they keep the LAN interiors from what I have seen from the J trip reports on CAL their product looks nice they just need to step it up a notch in order to compete on the longhual sectors.

Is there such a thing as a "CAL interior"? I think on one of the past threats it was noted that CAL's aircraft had many different interior colours and that they probably couldnt change them even if they wanted to. It's about time CAL invest in a true IFE product and look to install PTV's rather than leasing 767's to fly empty across the pond.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

baje427

Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:02 pm

CAL does not need PTV on its 738 why invest in that product when they have a virtual monopoly on most of their routes.

flybyguy

Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:44 pm

Quoting BW424 (Reply 202):

The interiors from LAN will be kept since they are extremely modern and its a relatively short dry-lease (5yrs). The J cabin will have flat-bed seats and the Y will have contemporary IFE.
Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 203):

Is there such a thing as a "CAL interior"? I think on one of the past threats it was noted that CAL's aircraft had many different interior colours and that they probably couldnt change them even if they wanted to. It's about time CAL invest in a true IFE product and look to install PTV's rather than leasing 767's to fly empty across the pond.

I'm not sure why this is even a contentious issue regarding IFE or long-haul product on CAL. Just about all the Caribbean based airlines have some of the most lousy customer service in the western hemisphere... not sure if it's a regional attitude or not. Reservations being routinely lost and bags staying behind also come to mind as problems that plague Caribbean carriers.

I'm almost certain that there will be little or no maintenance of the LAN interiors for the 5 years this dry lease term. I'm sure that if issues arrive with the IFE system it will remain in-op for the remainder of the lease. I think many Caribbean people choose foreign carriers, not because of any lack of national pride... it's because Caribbean airlines are abysmal on every level and wouldn't hold a candle to even the worst of foreign carriers with routes in the region.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

LimaFoxTango

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:57 am

Quoting baje427 (Reply 204):
CAL does not need PTV on its 738 why invest in that product when they have a virtual monopoly on most of their routes.

It's that kind of mentality why airlines like REDjet or any foreign carrier for that matter, can come into the Caribbean and grab passengers from the hands of LI or BW. It was seen as something fresh, something new, something different from what we were accustomed to. Yes RD did have a ridiculous business model, but for the short time they were around they managed to get a significant amount of pax from both LI and BW and revived intra-regional travel. Why for once we in the Caribbean can't be leaders in something. Why must we always be followers and the last to get things the rest of the world has had for years. Most airlines these days are installing PTV's in aircraft. It's the sign of the times and a way to stay competitive in this industry.

Quoting flybyguy (Reply 205):
I'm almost certain that there will be little or no maintenance of the LAN interiors for the 5 years this dry lease term. I'm sure that if issues arrive with the IFE system it will remain in-op for the remainder of the lease. I think many Caribbean people choose foreign carriers, not because of any lack of national pride... it's because Caribbean airlines are abysmal on every level and wouldn't hold a candle to even the worst of foreign carriers with routes in the region.

It's a shame, but I have to somewhat agree with you on this.

817Dreamliiner

Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:34 pm

Quoting baje427 (Reply 204):

Even if they have a Monopoly on most of their routes, thats really no excuse to not at least maintain the interiors that they have on their aircrafts. Its all about staying competitive and keeping your market share. I really hope for their sake that they maintain the interiors properly on the 767's coming from LAN during the lease

It's about time CAL invest in a true IFE product

Agreed, AVOD in my opinion would probably be a win for CAL on their longest routes( POS-JFK and YYZ) instead of LiveTV offered by B6, DL and probably UA/CO
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

A388

Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:46 pm

Quoting baje427 (Reply 196):
Nice pic too bad we don't have spotters in BGI like you
Quoting baje427 (Reply 196):
Great pic, congratulations getting into the top 5.

Thanks guys, it is always nice to be on the frontpage 
Quoting baje427 (Reply 201):
Hey A388 are do you think Insel or DAE will ever attempt an English speaking route I think to Fokker 50 can make CUR-POS as the Dash 8 can.

I don't know baje427. My feeling says that the POS route is too crowded now but LIAT still does have high fares on the route compared to Surinam Airways. At least that is what I've heard. Loads are good as far as I know.

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 207):
Even if they have a Monopoly on most of their routes, thats really no excuse to not at least maintain the interiors that they have on their aircrafts. Its all about staying competitive and keeping your market share. I really hope for their sake that they maintain the interiors properly on the 767's coming from LAN during the lease

I also hope Caribbean Airlines will indeed improve their cabin interiors one day to have consistant product throughout their fleet. I also see Caribbean Airlines keep the LAN interiors which are good interiors as long as they are maintained.

A388

A388

Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Also, one of my other DAE ATR42 photos has been accepted to the database:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Roger Cannegieter - Curacao Aviation Photography

A388

turk223

Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:57 pm

"CAL interior"?

What CAL interior? Some of the aircraft have a "standard" interior, but mostly it is just a mish-mash of the former operators' interiors...

I've always thought it just makes for a sloppy product. Yes. Safety, price, service and all that are most important but a nice uniform product just makes an airline seem more "professional".

Just my two cents.

817Dreamliiner

Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:02 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 209):

Great pic A388, I assume the "Curacao" near the tail is a tourism marketing logo like the one for Aruba?
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

guyanam

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:37 pm

Note comments made by Bajans here concerning LGW BGI. No room for CAL. CAL does NOT know how to promote to the leisure market (it failed on the JFK ANU, grabbing only the VFR and outbound ANU traffic). If BGI doesnt help them they dont stand a chance on the UK BGI market. It has been stated that the VFR isnt enough. Remember most of the Bajans who left for the UK are either very old, or dead so this is a very mature market.

As to POS, the stats refer to TWO way travel so it implies around 900/week on the POS UK. BA will definitely keep many of these passengers, unless they relinquish the route. So if CAL grabs 60% that means 550 pax/week. With very few using them on the BGI LGW. Bajans still have raw feelings aboput being ":abandoned by BWIA", as at least one person has reflected here..

To me it should be 4X LGW POS. 4X LGW KIN and just leave BGI out of it. Maybe they should have waited until the issues delaying Jca UK service are resolved.

[quote=BW424,reply=202]Chairman, Guardian Holdings Limited
The new BoD looks very disturbing. What does a pandit, economist/small businessman, a ,lawyer and a politica labbyisty have....that is apart from being die hard UNC activists who have to be rewarded. At least Nicholas owned a hotel. As bad as he was this is WORSE!!!

baje427

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:42 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 208):

Hey A388 how is Insel Air interior and service?

westindian425

Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:25 pm

Quoting flybyguy (Reply 205):

You must not know how AA rolls when it comes to customer service in the region.

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 207):
Agreed, AVOD in my opinion would probably be a win for CAL on their longest routes( POS-JFK and YYZ) instead of LiveTV offered by B6, DL and probably UA/CO

I agree with this!

Quoting guyanam (Reply 212):
The new BoD looks very disturbing. What does a pandit, economist/small businessman, a ,lawyer and a politica labbyisty have....that is apart from being die hard UNC activists who have to be rewarded. At least Nicholas owned a hotel. As bad as he was this is WORSE!!!

We agree on something!! We should celebrate! lol
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

BE77

Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:43 pm

Quoting baje427 (Reply 213):

Here's my 2 cents on them  
Flown with them maybe 4 or 5 times.
Service is good to excellent...treated me properly when we were delayed out of CLT and I missed a cnx in CUR (recommended a nearby hotel in CLT as I had arrived on a redeye - I did not expect them to pay that room, but they did set me up with a very reasonable rate at a nearby hotel, then they provided a decent hotel in Curacao, right down by the harbour in the middle of the action since I had about 18 hours to wait for the next flight.

Onboard very friendly, OK food.
Interiors are original equipement MD, so a bit dated, but in decent condition (seats worked, etc.).

Security lines at CUR are horrid - slow to process, etc. Not Insel's fault of course, but you get to go through two lines (AIF + Security, all outside of air co.
Tower, Affirmitive, gear is down and welded

yellowtail

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:33 pm

Quoting windian425 (Reply 72):
What does a pandit, economist/small businessman, a ,lawyer and a politica labbyisty have.

Sounds like the beginning of a joke...
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

A388

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:00 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 211):
Great pic A388, I assume the "Curacao" near the tail is a tourism marketing logo like the one for Aruba?

Yes, but the Curacao logo comes from Curacao while the Aruba logo was an initiative from Aruba. So the idea might seem similar but they are not related to each other.

Quoting baje427 (Reply 213):
Quoting BE77 (Reply 215):
Here's my 2 cents on them
Flown with them maybe 4 or 5 times.
Service is good to excellent...treated me properly when we were delayed out of CLT and I missed a cnx in CUR (recommended a nearby hotel in CLT as I had arrived on a redeye - I did not expect them to pay that room, but they did set me up with a very reasonable rate at a nearby hotel, then they provided a decent hotel in Curacao, right down by the harbour in the middle of the action since I had about 18 hours to wait for the next flight.
Onboard very friendly, OK food.
Interiors are original equipement MD, so a bit dated, but in decent condition (seats worked, etc.).
Security lines at CUR are horrid - slow to process, etc. Not Insel's fault of course, but you get to go through two lines (AIF + Security, all outside of air co.

BE77 answered it well, having flown Insel Air in December of last year, the onboard service is good indeed, very friendly crew. On one of my flights there was a 2 hour delay which was solved pretty quick as another aircraft was provided (their own aircraft by the way). The interior is outdated but as BE77 said, it works. I haven't flown their Foker 50's or EMB110 so I don't know how that is.

The length of the security lines in CUR depends on the day and moment because when I went through the security lines it went fast so I found it to be okay. However, part of the security area indeed isn't cooled so I can imagine it can be unpleasant if the queue is long.

A388

baje427

Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:47 am

Quoting westindian425 (Reply 214):

You find AA's service to be abysmal? I guess its how you look at it I have missed connections on AA through MIA and I was accommodated at a hotel and provided meals etc and generally AA is always on time yes the interiors are dated but I cant imagine people would view 2012 AA as AA in the 1990's.

Quoting A388 (Reply 217):

BE77 answered it well, having flown Insel Air in December of last year, the onboard service is good indeed, very friendly crew. On one of my flights there was a 2 hour delay which was solved pretty quick as another aircraft was provided (their own aircraft by the way). The interior is outdated but as BE77 said, it works. I haven't flown their Foker 50's or EMB110 so I don't know how that is.

Are there any cabin updates offered for the MD80's I believe DL and AA may have updated theirs perhaps Insel can do the same.

A388

Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:50 am

Quoting baje427 (Reply 218):
Are there any cabin updates offered for the MD80's I believe DL and AA may have updated theirs perhaps Insel can do the same.

I have no idea on that, unfortunately.

A388

baje427

Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:45 am

Does anyone know how to access the DOT traffic stats I know on this thread we use to have the stats posted to Caribbean destinations is someone willing to post for BGI or direct how to access the stats thanks

BWIA 772

Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:06 am

Last time I checked immigration to the UK by bajans has not stopped or fallen off dramatically over the last 15 years. So this hypothesis of yours regarding VFR shrinkage due to death and old age is really a pile of crap.

Regards
BWIA 772
Eagles Soar!

andrefranca

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:32 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 217):
I haven't flown their Foker 50's or EMB110 so I don't know how that is.

I'm ONLY 172 cm, and I felt not really well inside Insel's EMB 110, though the service for me was much better and professional than DAE, the MD's had still Alitalia everything inside, and the communication is made on papiamentu the local language which very easy for portuguese/spanish speakers.... they also do it in english but sometimes hard to understand.

guyanam

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:47 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 216):

It would be funny if they were not responsible for a major Caribbean corporation.

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 221):

Why not compare contemporary migration of Bajans to the UK with that of the late 50s and early 60s? Thats when the peak migration to the UK occurred when Bajans were recruited to work in hospitals and on the rails. Not 15 years ago.

I saw UK census data for foreign born and the only West Indians who had increased population in 2000s vs 1970 was Montserrat (volcano) and T&T where there was little of the late 40s-early 60s UK migration. Other had declines resulting from the death of older migrants and the remigration of others, either back home or to N America.

Take it from me as some one who live din the UK in the late 70s and who visited frequently throughout the 80s, most West Indians who would now be in the 40s and 50s speak with British accents because they were either born there or migrated there as kids, following parents who migrated earlier.

I assume that you know that its much easier for a West Indian to migrate to Canada and the USA, both offering better prospects than the UK. Indeed many UK Caribbean descendants themselves live in those countries. I suspectvery few US/Cda based Caribean people re migrate to the UK.

So this is relevant to the comment by a Bajan who said that VFR out of North Am is more important than out of the UK. Also more Bajans travel to the USA.

CAL will have a tough time on the LGW BGI as most will be UK tourists, and even the socalled VFR might be mainly UK born and/or bred Bajan descendants who might not be any more loyal to the Caribbean than they are to the UK.

time2lyme

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:58 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 223):
CAL will have a tough time on the LGW BGI as most will be UK tourists, and even the socalled VFR might be mainly UK born and/or bred Bajan descendants who might not be any more loyal to the Caribbean than they are to the UK.

I'm not so sure about this. I come across a lot of caribbeans in the UK, from St Lucia, St Vincent, Grenada and mostly Trinidad, and they are all fiercely loyal to the country of their birth, so why not bajans too?.

And what is more surprising is that a lot of them talk of old BW, lambast BA. New BW might have something here...

A388

Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:19 am

I found this nice photo edit of a Caribbean Airlines 767-300:

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifieda...earch/photo_search.php?id=00014947

It gives you a decent idea of what the Caribbean Airlines 767 will look like. Too bad it's missing the winglets.

A388

817Dreamliiner

Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:27 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 225):

Interesting, not bad but I prefer to see the real thing first before making a solid judgement, thanks for sharing the pic A388.
Hopefully we'll be seeing it soon.

A388

Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:59 am

Two of my photos taken of the open day in Curacao have been accepted:

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Hope you enjoy them!!!

Cheers,

A388

817Dreamliiner

Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:16 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 227):

Great Photos again A388, lol interesting that a KC-135 is parked up at the gate! Also regarding the coastguard Dash 8, I remember seeing one flying around Montserrat at about 500ft, when working at MNI tower a year or so ago, was an interesting sight. Was actually good seeing something different than the usual twinotter or islander.

N312RM

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:34 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 173):
Interesting, dont think ive ever heard of Rollins Air or blue wing. Conviasa should probably get their act together and address the safety issues. Did Conviasa ever serve Europe?

Rollins Air is a small regional airline serving mostly domestic routes in Honduras. They used to fly into GCM several years ago but were forced to cease operations due to safety issues and non-payment of fees. Last year they leased an L-1011 to start service to Europe. Looks like they have met the same fate there as well.

A388

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:44 pm

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 173):
Did Conviasa ever serve Europe?

Conviasa has flown to MAD. You can search the database for photos.

A388

GUYAIR707

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:35 pm

On board BW421 JFK-GND. Checkin was very smooth, met a very friendly agent.

GUYAIR707

guyanam

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:45 pm

Quoting time2lyme (Reply 224):

Note you didnt mention British people with Bajan parents. I suspect they can' t be relied upon to be necessarily loyal to a TRINIDADIAN product. I am sure in its best days more Bajans flew BA back to BGI than BWIA. That old time Bajan crowd love the Queen too much....Thats why it used to be called Little England and Bimshire. With VS and BA serving the market well I dont see success for BW on the LGW BGI. And its not as if there is a huge outbound market from BGI a smsost Bajans travel to the USA.

The UK VFR market is very different from the US and Canada as this is a very old migration, with very limited new recent migrants so we are dealing with people who weere boren and/or raised outside the Caribbean.

Now the LGW POS will be helped by intransits to GEO as they will FINALLY have a one airline way to fly "home". This segment plus the POS nonstop market still doesnt merit a daily flight though. 4X will be good enough..

guyanam

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:46 pm

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 231):

What are the passengers loads into GND?

GUYAIR707

Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:45 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 233):

9Y-ANU is filled to capacity first and coach.

GUYAIR707

trintocan

Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:29 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 168):
Three regional airlines banned by EU in new blacklist updat"Conviasa, an air carrier certified in Venezuela, was added to the list due to safety concerns. The other two are Blue Wing Airlines of Suriname and Rollins Air of Honduras."

I'm pretty certain that Blue Wing had been listed previously on the blacklist. It has had several accidents over the years which have contributed to its being listed. Conviasa on the other hand did have European ops (MAD as mentioned). It's a bit unfortunate but its problems seem to reflect the issues in Venezuelan aviation as a whole. It seems so paradoxical that Venezuela, one of South America's richest nations, has airlines lumbering on with old planes while neighbouring airlines have shiny new jetliners.

Quoting A388 (Reply 227):
Two of my photos taken of the open day in Curacao have been accepted:

Great photos A388! I'm loving them so please keep them coming. Thanks for giving the Caribbean representation at the highest levels on the board's photo popularity stakes.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

A388

Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:35 pm

Quoting trintocan (Reply 235):
Thanks for giving the Caribbean representation at the highest levels on the board's photo popularity stakes.

Thanks trintocan. The airport overview photo is now on the frontpage!!! 

A388

guyanam

Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:49 pm

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 234):

Good. I assume that virtually all got off in GND.

LimaFoxTango

Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:07 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 225):
I found this nice photo edit of a Caribbean Airlines 767-300:

http://www.cardatabase.net/modifieda...earch/photo_search.php?id=00014947

It gives you a decent idea of what the Caribbean Airlines 767 will look like. Too bad it's missing the winglets.

Not a bad edit indeed, but if this is anything near to what the real thing will look like, I think it looks ghastly. I'm surprised a photo of the real thing hasn't popped up online yet.

baje427

Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:39 am

Quoting GUYAIR707 (Reply 234):

Will you be doing a TR we dont have enough Caribbean reports on the site

Quoting guyanam (Reply 232):

I think BW will definitely have a challenge in LGW-BGI for the following reasons 1) Starting in the low season 2) Increase in the APD 3) Major recession in BGI and London 4) Competition for BA and VS. I wish them all the best but its not looking good.

Inbound

Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:25 am

Word on the inside is the flights to LGW are already heavily booked from "Summer" all the way to Christmas.
They picked this period to start ops as it heads into Olympics.

For the techies, the first aircraft should be in POS in early May but it hasn't been painted yet.
Regs are rumoured to be 9Y-LHR, 9Y-LGW.
Pratt & Whitney 4000 Engines.
Config 30/191.
Maintain own separation with terrain!

aa1818

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:56 am

Quoting inbound (Reply 240):

I was hoping to see a 9Y-LGW and perhaps a 9Y-JFK.
Or maybe something not in keeping with the current trend like 9Y-BIG or 9Y-TRI/ TNT/ JAM/ BIM.
Something other than airport codes- leave the airport codes for the 737s, the sequential is nice for the ATRs (hopefully they'll have a huge fleet of 'em one day) and get creative with the registration for the 767s...have some fun! haha
Wishful thinking I guess.

Config 30/191.

Suitable configuration.

Word on the inside is the flights to LGW are already heavily booked from "Summer" all the way to Christmas.
They picked this period to start ops as it heads into Olympics.

Excellent news. I do hope these ventures are successful. I also hope that CAL doesn't have to wet lease more 767s for peak periods and can maybe grow it's 767 fleet to 3 or 4 to include rotations such as GEO-JFK/ YYZ, POS-JFK/YYZ/MIA/FLL and KIN/MBJ- JFK/YYZ/FLL.

I'm no engine techie, what are the pros and cons of the PW 4000s? Any commonality with the CFMs on the 738s?
What other airlines (besides LAN) use the PW engines on the 767?

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

817Dreamliiner

Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:14 am

Thanks for the update Inbound, appropriate regs I would say.

Quoting aa1818 (Reply 241):
I'm no engine techie, what are the pros and cons of the PW 4000s? Any commonality with the CFMs on the 738s?

CFM is a joint venture between SNECMA and GE Aviation, pretty much 50-50 from what I remember, so no commonality with PW.

BWIA 772

Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:43 am

To be honest keeping some sequential codes such 9Y-CAL and 9Y-CAN or even 9Y-TKA would have been ok. If anything I think the jets should be named for example Caribbean Warmth and Caribbean Elegance or Soca Jet and Reggae Bird. Personally I would name one "Doubles" and the other one "Ackee and Salt Fish"   

PW 4000 series powers A300, A310, A330 762/3 (of course) MD 11 744 and 777. While the engine is not as popular as the GE CF 6 or the Trent, it is not an uncommon engine so BW should be fine.

Quoting 817Dreamliiner (Reply 242):
CFM is a joint venture between SNECMA and GE Aviation, pretty much 50-50 from what I remember, so no commonality with PW.

Eagles Soar!

time2lyme

Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:04 am

I was hoping to see a 9Y-LGW and perhaps a 9Y-JFK.
Or maybe something not in keeping with the current trend like 9Y-BIG or 9Y-TRI/ TNT/ JAM/ BIM.
Something other than airport codes- leave the airport codes for the 737s, the sequential is nice for the ATRs (hopefully they'll have a huge fleet of 'em one day) and get creative with the registration for the 767s...have some fun! haha
Wishful thinking I guess.

You mean like 9Y-PAN, or 9Y-HUM.

Can you have 4 letters? If so, then how about 9Y-ROTI  

aa1818

Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:47 pm

Quoting time2lyme (Reply 244):

Exactly! I really like that!

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 243):
PW 4000 series powers A300, A310, A330 762/3 (of course) MD 11 744 and 777. While the engine is not as popular as the GE CF 6 or the Trent, it is not an uncommon engine so BW should be fine.

Ok. Thanks for the clarification.

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 243):
I think the jets should be named for example Caribbean Warmth and Caribbean Elegance or Soca Jet and Reggae Bird. Personally I would name one "Doubles" and the other one "Ackee and Salt Fish"

Yeah- besides the registration, I hope they also give them creative names!

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

A388

Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:04 pm

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 238):
I'm surprised a photo of the real thing hasn't popped up online yet.
For the techies, the first aircraft should be in POS in early May but it hasn't been painted yet.
Config 30/191.

There we have our answer. I was wondering the same but apparently the aircraft is still not painted yet.

Excellent news. I do hope these ventures are successful. I also hope that CAL doesn't have to wet lease more 767s for peak periods and can maybe grow it's 767 fleet to 3 or 4 to include rotations such as GEO-JFK/ YYZ, POS-JFK/YYZ/MIA/FLL and KIN/MBJ- JFK/YYZ/FLL.

I wish them success as well. Having two 767's to do daily rotations to London isn't going to give Caribbean Airlines room to do other routes with those two 767's so they will most likely have to keep wet leasing other (widebody) aircraft in peak periods. The problem is if Caribbean Airlines takes a third 767 that is needed in peak periods, what do they do with this aircraft during low seasons? Transavia Airlines as an example leases some of their 737's out during their low season (winter) but the 737 is much easier to lease out compared to a 767.

A388

time2lyme

Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:06 pm

Quoting time2lyme (Reply 244):
Quoting aa1818 (Reply 245):
Exactly! I really like that!

...and for aircraft stationed in jamaica

9Y-POT   

817Dreamliiner

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:22 pm

Quoting time2lyme (Reply 247):
...and for aircraft stationed in jamaica

9Y-POT   

lol, I can see the funny side of that!

A388

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:50 pm

I think I haven't posted these photos but here they are:

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

Better late than never...

A388

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos