Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

ANCsupercub
Topic Author

AS Chartered Bus?

Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:03 pm

I am sitting at the gate waiting for my flight to Spokane and they need voluenteers to take a bus they chartered. I imagine a flight must have been canceled, but how often do
Airlines charter buses? I have never came across this before.

KingFriday013

RE: AS Chartered Bus?

Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:32 pm

EWR-ABE is actually operated by a bus, not a plane. And that's scheduled service!

When a flight cancels or diverts, from what I understand if they're not too far from the actual destination they'll sometimes charter a bus if it will be easier than sending in another plane. Wait 3 hours to fly 5 minutes... or take a bus 30 minutes. A bus is probably cheaper for the airline too, especially if it's a small load (most 45 foot charter buses hold 50-57 people depending on the operator's seating configuration).

-J.
Will add later

ANCsupercub
Topic Author

Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:41 pm

That's interesting. They didn't seem to convince anyone by the time I boarded to take te bus. A 300 dollar voucher wasn't enough to justify the 5 1/2 hour bus ride. I'd much rather take the 45 minute flight. I fly this route quite often and have never seen them ask for volunteers for a bus.

UnitedTristar

Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:47 pm

Quoting ANCsupercub (Thread starter):

this happened to me on a UAX flight from LAX to IYK...they canceled and put us on a bus

-m

CrimsonNL

Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:53 pm

A few years ago I was scheduled to fly EIN-STN with Ryanair. Thick fog however caused the airplane from STN to divert to NRN instead. We were put on a bus from EIN to NRN and then flew to STN.

Pretty good service considering the ticket price was only 3 euros!
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

HPRamper

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:06 pm

When I worked for HP at PDX, occasionally we would get a diversion of the MFR CR2 and they would be bussed. As far as I know people generally took the offer up, as the next flight was a full day later, and the bus was probably more comfortable than a CR2 anyway.

MountainFlyer

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:20 pm

Quoting KingFriday013 (Reply 1):
EWR-ABE is actually operated by a bus, not a plane. And that's scheduled service!

That was the first one that came to mind for me too.

Also, several years ago I had a UA ticket originating from ONT which included a short hop on a Brasilia to LAX. They ended up busing us to LAX due to "winds." Granted, that's a fraction of SEA-GEG (I'm assuming that's the route you're flying).
SA-227; B1900; Q200; Q400; CRJ-2,7,9; 717; 727-2; 737-3,4,5,7,8,9; 747-2; 757-2,3; 767-3,4; MD-90; A319, 320; DC-9; DC-1

EA CO AS

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:53 pm

QX routinely charters buses to/from SUN when weather doesn't permit flights. In fact, in the early 90s QX offered scheduled service to/from SLE and PDXSLE was done via chartered airport limousine.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

QANTAS747-438

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:16 pm

WN sometimes has to do it when LAX receives SAN diversions due to fog. They'll get a bus for the 2hr ride south.
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

N1120A

Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:59 pm

We we on approach to OXR and the minimums got us, so we turned back to LAX. They grabbed 2 Super Shuttles and we all piled in (including the flight crew, who were RONing). Had a cool chat with the captain as she explained all about the Bro and OO's operation.

Quoting UnitedTristar (Reply 3):
this happened to me on a UAX flight from LAX to IYK...they canceled and put us on a bus

Ouch - that's a long, boring ride.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

OH-LGA

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:07 pm

When I worked for OO in SFO, we chartered buses quite often during irregular ops. We had a binder with pre-approved companies - we would call around and see who would be able to do it. Often it was during flow, where smaller flights get hit the worst with EDCTs. It just made the most sense because flights would be booked full for days, the weather wasn't forecast to get any better, and so on. We would also grab SuperShuttles for closer destinations and smaller amounts of pax because they were even more readily available.

From SFO I remember running busses (or SuperShuttles) to FAT, SMF, MRY, ACV (6 hours, oy), MFR (even further), RNO and MOD.

Also, our ASE operations are regularly affected by wind and weather conditions, so there are well-defined ASE diversion plans in place for GJT (the usual alternate city) as well as bus operations from DEN.

It's all about getting passengers to their destination as quickly as possible - even if it means going intermodal.  
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

srbmod

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:07 pm

I imagine a flight must have been canceled, but how often do

Years back when I worked for EV, they once had to charter a bus to transport the passengers of a cancelled ATL-AEX flight, as the next flight was several hours later and it was a full flight (a/c type was an E-120) and there wasn't any available spare a/c to operate the flight. That was the only time I remember it happening when I worked there, so depending on the airport and airline, it may be more commonplace at other airports than at places like ATL.

LOWS

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:14 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 9):
Had a cool chat with the captain as she explained all about the Bro and OO's operation.

I'm curious. What's "the Bro" and what did she say about OO?

NC1844V

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:17 pm

Back in 2008 I was stuck in Seattle during some horrible weather (snow) and I could hear them requesting passengers for a bus on the PA system. If I was just going just down the road it might have been worth it to not sit in the in Terminal for days which was looking like what was gonna happen for some people.
Steven

wingsofman72

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:24 pm

Several years ago I was in SAP and due to heavy rain the airport was closed (runway flooded). CO put us on a bus (actually just gave us tickets) to TGU and then a flight the next day from TGU to IAH non-stop (as it was still expected to be clossed).
As it was, we got on in TGU the next day, and were the first flight to land at SAP after the flood (lots of mud on the runway), loaded up and went to IAH normally. Could have saved the trip and the hotel in TGU, but was interesting none the less.

UnitedTristar

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 9):
Ouch - that's a long, boring ride.

Except when you pass Mohave!!!

-m

heathrow

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:44 pm

I know it's happened to my dad being diverted on a TATL BA flight to somewhere like BHX or MAN and he's been put on a bus.

Also, KL, LX and AF all service YOW (or XDS) with a bus to YUL on scheduled "flights".

chopchop767

Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:58 pm

When USAIR flew into Athens, GA from CLT, there was a late flight which, from time to time, was cancelled and everyone was bused down. It's been a while, but I recall the flight left late in the evening already and the few times I used the service, it was delayed probably 4 of the 5 times. Also, the few times I took the flight, there was only about 10 or so people on the plane; which sat 30. One time, the flight was on mechanical for five hours and there was another couple in the USAIR lounge who remarked, looks like we're taking the bus again. As bad as it was, that flight was far more convenient then driving and then flying out of ATL.
this year: nap, lgw, fra, dub, fco, add, jib, muc, iad, sea, dca, bos, cdg, ist, bah, prg, ord, hsv, cmn

redzeppelin

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:01 am

I once had a bus from RST to MSP (on NW) on a stormy day when MSP was having weather delays. It is only about an 80 minute bus ride, and we still arrived with plenty of time to make connections. I knew in advance that the flight was delayed and took my time getting to the airport, and then I barely got there in time to park my car and jump on the bus. Perhaps the closest I have ever come to missing a flight and it was actually a bus.

I lived in RST for a while and heard about this kind of thing happening frequently there. NW would often make an equipment swap and run a bus on some of the short hops to places like RST, LSE and DLH when traffic was backed up at MSP.

gothamspotter

Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:42 am

United will book you a connecting Amtrak train from Newark to Philadelphia, Wilmington, Stamford or New Haven.

USAIRWAYS321

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:09 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 7):
QX routinely charters buses to/from SUN when weather doesn't permit flights.

At QX's expense, or the passenger's? I have a hard time believing QX pays for the bus if weather is to blame.

I've been on SEA-PUW flights a couple of times that couldn't land in Pullman due to poor winter weather, and landed in Lewiston instead. They always made it abundantly clear (usually with a rude attitude towards customers) that despite paying for a ticket to PUW, QX was perfectly within its rights to leave me in LWS with no ground transportation to PUW.

Each time, the passengers were left to pay their own way up to Pullman.

EA CO AS

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:18 am

Quoting USAIRWAYS321 (Reply 20):
At QX's expense, or the passenger's? I have a hard time believing QX pays for the bus if weather is to blame.

QX picks it up. It's less expensive than letting customers wait for available seats over the next few days.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

varigb707

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:27 am

I was once shoved into a chartered bus, to get me from JFK to BOS, due to a cancellation of my American Eagle Flight...
I was told : "take it or leave it, pal"
First, I said 'hey' and then I said 'now'. "Hey Now!" - Hank K.

USAIRWAYS321

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:42 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 21):
QX picks it up. It's less expensive than letting customers wait for available seats over the next few days.

So why do they feel obligated to get customers to SUN, but not to PUW?

747400sp

Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:21 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 5):
As far as I know people generally took the offer up, as the next flight was a full day later, and the bus was probably more comfortable than a CR2 anyway.

IF it is a MCI E/J 4500, Prevost H series and Van Hool T-2145, then the passengers should enjoy the ride better than any CR2. Those larger size (50000 + lb) motorcoaches, has those large windows, help give passenger a great view.

ulfinator

Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:54 am

When I flew QX to Sun Valley (KSUN) a few years ago we couldn't get into the airport because ceilings were too low so they flew us to (KBOI) and charted a bus for us to Sun Valley. It was better than not getting there at all.

ANCsupercub
Topic Author

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:57 am

A 5 1/2 hour bus ride seems kind of long. It wouldnt be worth a 300 voucher. For the record i I was on Alaska not Horizon. The gate agent said the flight was oversold and they had a weight and balance issue. They were only asking for four people so I imagine an ealier flight got canceled (I'm sure they wouldn't charter a bus for four passengers) I guess it is spring break for a couple schools. They must not have a lot of empty seats later in the day.

EA CO AS

Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:38 am

Quoting USAIRWAYS321 (Reply 23):
Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 21):QX picks it up. It's less expensive than letting customers wait for available seats over the next few days.

So why do they feel obligated to get customers to SUN, but not to PUW?

It's not so much a matter of "feeling obligated" but rather making a rational business decision.

Weather doesn't result in cancellations to/from PUW anywhere near as often as SUN, and since QX wishes to serve SUN, the only way to serve that market consistently and reliably is to have a standing backup plan available for those frequent WX issues. In fact, AS/QX res agents provide bus advisories to customers making any bookings to/from SUN so they're given a heads-up that their future "flight" might be a long bus ride if conditions warrant.

Keep in mind, the vast majority of customers to/from SUN are coming from elsewhere in the AS/QX system which is a consideration as well.

zippyjet

Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:32 am

This happens more than you think. In the Mid Atlantic and Northeast it can be daily especially during the Summer Thunderstorm season. Here at BWI we seem to be a repository for flights that divert from the over crowded cluster you know what airports of DCA, PHL, LGA, JFK and EWR to name a few. The five mentioned airports are prone to disruptions from bad weather, ATC issues and big government (closing at the drop of a hat). The aforementioned airports are within an hour to four drive from BWI. So we end up getting their diverted flights. And since it's usually at night buses are employed to cart the unhappy passengers to their final destinations. To put it mildly especially with the New York area passengers this goes over like the proverbial fart in church or Synagogue. Though you may have hurricane force winds, fog that's thicker than Jessica Simpson's waistline (with love child in the oven) those folks from the Northeast believe we the airlines are conspiring against them.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

flyingalex

Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:24 am

It also happens in Europe from time to time. Last winter I was booked to fly SOF-ZRH-STR on LX. The ZRH-STR flight was cancelled due to forecast severe icing enroute, and LX sent us to Stuttgart by bus (a bus marked "Zürich Airport", so it seems to have a dedicated operation for this sort of thing).

Sure, I would have preferred a 25-minute flight to a 3-hour bus ride, but I was just happy to get home that night.

Even when the weather cooperates, ZRH-STR is usually one of the first flights they cancel if one of their Avros goes tech, so that bus appears in STR fairly often.

On the scheduled side of things, LH operates several daily buses from FRA to Heidelberg, Mannheim and Strasbourg.
Public service announcement: "It's" = "it is". To indicate posession, write "its." Looks wrong, but it's correct grammar!

twa727

Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:34 pm

I've been put on a bus once UA Express from IAD to ROA, though it started out with a flight. We were on the last flight of the day, which was delayed to start with. When we got on board the plane at IAD, we were told that they didn't think we were going to be able to land at ROA due to the fog, but they were going to give it a try. So, we flew to ROA and they tried to make the landing twice before diverting and returning us back to IAD.

The agents told us the flights the next day were already mostly full, and that taking the bus option was our only choice if we didn't want to be delayed in Washington for quite a while. It turns out the ORD to ROA flight that evening had also diverted to IAD, so they had quite a crowd that needed to get to Roanoke.

By this point it was after midnight, and we had to wait for well over an hour more for them to secure buses at that time of the morning. The "buses" turned out to be mini-buses -- the same sort of vehicles often used as airport shuttles to the rental car offices but with forward-facing seats, and they were just as comfortable. We finally got sorted out and left IAD about 2am. To make things even better, about an hour down the Interstate, our driver stopped at a gas station to pick up a couple cans of Red Bull to stay awake. Even then, he seemed to be weaving a bit as we sped down the highway. After a 4-5 hour drive, we finally got into Roanoke airport around dawn -- just in time to see the morning UA flight arrive.

Cessna172RG

Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:11 pm

I used to work for Horizon about seven years ago. In the winter when the weather got bad, we would often see busses brought onto the ramp to board passengers for Wenatchee and Bellingham flights that were cancelled due to snow/visibility. One some days, most of the evening departures were all busses, especially on Wenatchee runs.

We would have Food & Beverage put special snack bags on the busses to ensure that the customers got something to munch on.
Save the whales...for dinner!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos