Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

LAXintl
Topic Author

Southwest Awarded Chicago-Cancun Authority

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:26 am

With the exit of USA 3000 from the Chicago-Cancun market, a limited entry route designation was made available between Chicago and Cancun and sought after. ( Southwest(AirTran) Applies For MDW-CUN (by LAXintl Dec 7 2011 in Civil Aviation) )

The DOT hence launched a full route authority procedure with Southwest(Airtran) and Frontier being the two applicants for the authority.

Today the DOT issued it tentative show cause order in favor of Airtran. The department found the Airtran application would provide the greatest public benefits in terms of scheduled capacity and competition in the market over Frontiers application which would offer capacity that would primarily fulfill its contract with Apple Vacation.

The DOT noted that the US-Mexico bilateral does not limit number of charter carriers in the market, and Frontier could continue to serve the market anyhow under the guise of a charter operation.

OST-2012-0001
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

mariner

RE: Southwest Awarded Chicago-Cancun Authority

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:04 am

Quoting LAXintl (Thread starter):
The DOT noted that the US-Mexico bilateral does not limit number of charter carriers in the market, and Frontier could continue to serve the market anyhow under the guise of a charter operation.

That's a teensy tad redundant by the DOT since Frontier is flying it as a charter and had been for some months. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.   

mariner
aeternum nauta

Polot

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:09 am

Quoting mariner (Reply 1):
That's a teensy tad redundant by the DOT since Frontier is flying it as a charter and had been for some months. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

Frontier wants the scheduled route authority. The FAA is giving it to WN but is telling Frontier that if they want to continue to fly the route as a charter, as they are doing now, they are allowed to.

mariner

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:12 am

Quoting Polot (Reply 2):
The FAA is giving it to WN but is telling Frontier that if they want to continue to fly the route as a charter, as they are doing now, they are allowed to.

Frontier already knows that - it always knew that and it has a seven year contract to do so. At no stage in this was the DOT going to take the charter away so it seems - redundant.

mariner

[Edited 2012-03-19 18:14:58]
aeternum nauta

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:14 am

Its mentioned by the DOT as the comment was made in the application arguments put forward by AirTran.

By awarding the schedule authority to AirTran the DOT would support and achieve two new entrant US carriers in the market for the price of one, as the Apple flying can exist on charter basis anyhow.

G500

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:53 am

Too bad Airtran is doing this

If Southwest EVER flies international with their own metal, I bet Cancun will be their first destination

B757capt

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:46 am

I wonder if F9 would have gotten more traction on this if their operations were all at ORD?

Frankly I don't get how WN thinks this will work without a codes hare in place to move traffic back and forth the FL/WN network. I guess they are hoping for a lot of feed from DSM  
The views written by this user are in no manner the views of my employer and should not be thought as such.

Polot

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:49 am

Quoting g500 (Reply 5):
If Southwest EVER flies international with their own metal, I bet Cancun will be their first destination

Airtran and WN are merging, eventually this route will be on a plane that says Southwest on the tail and a Southwest interior. It is via Airtran now because they already fly international while Southwest does not.

GentFromAlaska

Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:12 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Thread starter):

The DOT decision takes on the appearance of a win-win for both carriers.
Man can be taken from Alaska. Alaska can never be taken from the man.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:37 pm

Well its a win-win in the sense that neither carrier is locked out and can continue to serve the market which is a plus for the US consumer at the end of the day. The market will see double the number of seats versus if Frontier had been awarded the scheduled authority solely.

gothamspotter

Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:50 pm

Quoting mariner (Reply 3):
Frontier already knows that - it always knew that and it has a seven year contract to do so. At no stage in this was the DOT going to take the charter away so it seems - redundant.

DOT press releases are not written for the airlines, they're written for reporters whose audience is the general public. Obviously Frontier knows they can fly as a charter, but the redundancy you speak of makes it clear for a writer and/or Joe Citizen so they don't have to wonder "why is Frontier still flying the route if the DOT didn't grant them authority?"

LAXintl
Topic Author

Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:14 pm

Frontier filed a response with the DOT stating it will not formally object to the Airtran tentative award, however is disappointed the department did not choose to inject low-fare competition at ORD against 3 established US and foreign legacy carriers.

LAXintl
Topic Author

Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:27 am

No surprise the DOT today finalized the award.

AirTran now has 90-days to institute the service.

WROORD

Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:35 am

F9 used to fly MDW-CUN for Apple Vacations some years ago, so WN can definately make it work. I hope this is going to be year round service.

atrude777

Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:35 am

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 12):

AirTran now has 90-days to institute the service.

To begin June 3rd, 2012

Available for Booking now

www.airtran.com

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

Mexicana757

Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:17 am

Quoting WROORD (Reply 13):
F9 used to fly MDW-CUN for Apple Vacations some years ago, so WN can definately make it work. I hope this is going to be year round service.

And don't forget ATA also flew MDW-CUN. It was one of the last international schedule routes they operated before they went out.

Then U5 and F9 both bid for this route authority, with U5 ending up with the authority.

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 14):
To begin June 3rd, 2012

Available for Booking now

Nice!!! Glad to see CUN back at MDW.      

kgaiflyer

Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:59 pm

Quoting b757capt (Reply 6):
Frankly I don't get how WN thinks this will work without a codes hare in place to move traffic back and forth the FL/WN network. I guess they are hoping for a lot of feed from DSM

I flew IAD-MDW last week for the very first time (Hey -- the Orange Line from MDW to the Loop is way, way faster then the Blue Line from ORD   ) and was surprised the WN plane was full with standbys waiting .

Trust me, once codeshare occurs, the MDW to CUN flight will be oversold every day of the week.

[Edited 2012-04-06 07:12:45]

usflyguy

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:54 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 16):

IAD flights are usually full.
My post is my ideas and my opinions only, I do not represent the ideas or opinions of anyone else or company.

kgaiflyer

Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:09 pm

Quoting usflyguy (Reply 17):

IAD flights are usually full.

I didn't mean to sound shocked, but neither FL nor WN has set world's on fire at IAD with their business models.

Obviously this is about to change.

ADent

Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:53 pm

Trust me, once codeshare occurs, the MDW to CUN flight will be oversold every day of the week.

Too bad that won't be until next year.

AirframeAS

Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:07 am

Quoting Polot (Reply 2):
The FAA is giving it to WN

The FAA doesn't award anything. The DOT does and they make the decisions.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Polot

Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:36 am

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 20):
The FAA doesn't award anything. The DOT does and they make the decisions.

Yes, sorry that is what I meant.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos