Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

American 767
Topic Author

Is American Still Thinking Of Buying The 787?

Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:48 pm

I know they have been thinking seriously of ordering the 787, 42 on firm order with more on option, but I don't think this order ever became officially firm. Did it? And now that they are in Chapter 11, they have not mentioned anything about their future plans of adding the 787 in the future. There was a thread recently regarding the huge order they placed last summer for NG737s, 737MAX and A32Xs. But nothing was mentioned about the 787.

Is the 787 still in sight on the horizon? Or is the order canceled?

Ben Soriano

PS: I know JAL and United are getting it soon.
Ben Soriano

qf002

RE: Is American Still Thinking Of Buying The 787?

Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:56 pm

AA need these aircraft quite urgently... IIRC they only have to firm up 18 months out from each delivery, I'd expect them to do so.

gothamspotter

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:02 pm

AA will get the 787, but a much more substantial issue than the bankruptcy is the fact that they don't have anyone to fly them under their current pilots contract. Given the tenuous relationship with their unions right now, I don't think they're going to say much about the 787 for the time being.

Acey559

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:26 pm

Around the time of the first ANA delivery I was in Dallas for training and Boeing had brought in a little 787 simulator. It had the aircraft seats and the cockpit and was tied to what I assume is Flight Simulator X. Anyway I asked the guy what they were there for (it was at the C.R. Smith Museum) and he said it was because the first 787 was delivered and AA has orders for it, so it was a PR thing. That was before bankruptcy so I don't know how much is changed, but I believe they're still planning on getting them. In fact, in the training center there's a big (probably at least 10 to 15 feet long) banner with a 787 in AA colors on it.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

NYC777

Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:34 pm

AA has an MoU for the 78-9 so theya re not in a rush to finalize that. They have to first renegotiate the pilot union contract and also get through the BK proceedings before finalizing this order but they have time.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

MAH4546

Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:33 pm

AA still has absolutely every intention to begin 787-9 deliveries in easy 2014. Fortunately, due to bankruptcy, AA will essentially be able to forcibly negotiate contracts in its favor that will eliminate any problems unions would have tried to create pre-BK.

To say that AA hasn't talked about 787s since BK is patently false. It has mentioned them multiple times about part of its new, younger fleet.
a.

bristolflyer

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:50 am

What will their colour scheme be? Pretty sure that CFRP doesn't polish up as well as aluminium.
Fortune favours the brave

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos