sam1987

RE: IAG To Offer 14 Slots In BD Deal

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:05 pm

Quoting LHR27C (Reply 78):
a person familiar with the matter

Almost as good as "a source said..."

In this article:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/5e1fb672-7...7e-00144feab49a.html#axzz1qXMqhU00

"Virgin is highlighting how BA, by combining with BMI, would become the sole provider of flights between Heathrow and Aberdeen, Basel, Edinburgh, Manchester and Nice"

So what?! BA is the sole provider of flights between Heathrow and numerous destinations already. Branson could start flights to any of these destinations if he really wanted to.
Next flights: LGW-LBA-LGW, LHR-SIN-SYD, SYD-BKK-LHR, LGW-GRO, GRO-CIA, CIA-MAD, MAD-LGW

WAC

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:13 pm

Quoting Bongodog1964 (Reply 98):
You said that the deal wasn't awaiting EU approval and was in the hands of IAG/LH. As of now no decision has been released by the EU, thus IAG/LH are still waiting. Tomorrows the day. IAG stated in December that they expected regulatory approval by the end of the 1st quarter of 2012, which ties in with whats now happening.

Do you really think the airlines are notified when the press is notified...??

skipness1E

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:23 pm

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 77):
Quoting anstar (Reply 75):
Last finanical year they had the highest revenue figure in their 28 year history...

Still waiting on this one....
Anyhoo G-VEIL went trundling off 27L this afternoon looking jolly sexy in her new colours so credit where credit is due. Looking forward to the new A330s that will not be flying domestically, just to be clear! Virgin have plateaued, the bearded billionaire himself has admitted he sees little growth in the UK business, though this is mainly because they are being squeezed by the cartels, I mean "alliances" on all sides.

vv701

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:05 pm

Quoting mikey72 (Reply 96):
Without wanting to get into a p-ing contest...how many long-haul routes do BA fly from LHR and how many do VS ?

If I count correctly BA flies to 62 long haul destinations (including DME now served by 744s/763s and TLV served for some time by 772s and 763s) and VS to 20.

The VS figure includes three seasonal routes to CPT, ORD and YVR but excludes BOM which is scheduled to start next October. BA flies to all 20 VS destinations.

AIR MALTA
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 103):
The VS figure includes three seasonal routes to CPT, ORD and YVR but excludes BOM which is scheduled to start next October. BA flies to all 20 VS destinations.

That's the cherry picking everyone is talking about... and how many of these routes have at least another competitor than BA?

VS while increasing competition on routes is bringing nothing new to the UK or LHR.

Anyway, let's wait for the official announcement and then start debating on the future of BMI in IAG.
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

lhr380

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:30 pm

Quoting mikey72 (Reply 96):

No, no one died, but what they did was illegal and wrong and unethical. If you think that sort of behaviour is fine, well....I don't really know what to say.

Trying to bankrupt a business by stealing customers away by lies and stealing information. Show me where VS has done that sort of thing. Yes they are a pain in the backside (SRB mainly) with what they say and have done here, but he has done nothing illegal........

You need to look at the bigger picture and calm it down.
(The views on this site are my own and no one elses)

bastew

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:20 pm

I think the issue with the 'dirty tricks' campaign is that BA has moved on and Virgin has not. I actually started my flying career at VS and it was drilled into us at training stage that BA was akin to the devil. All the senior executives that played a part in the dirty tricks campaign have long gone from BA. But SRB is still there....and still has an axe to grind. Who can forget Virgin shopping BA to the authorities when they were both involved in price collusion? BA got walloped with a huge fine and VS got immunity. Then last year BA buys a few slots that were on the open market. Virgin has a cry to the press about that too. When one newspaper had the gall to actually ask them why they hadn't purchased them their reply was 'we thought the slots being sold were only temporary'. But again, BA's fault. They shouldnt have been able to buy them.

Virgin is the airline of free competition. The airline 'of the people'. When it suits it. Remember Bermuda II? The restriction that allowed only two UK (one of which was VS) and two US airlines to fly into LHR from the US? Well surely getting rid of Bermuda II and allowing more competition from other airlines would benefit the consumer? NOT according to Virgin at the time. They managed to twist the situation and vehemently opposed it saying it was bad for the UK consumer. Of course BA wasn't happy with the cancellation of Bermuda II either. But instead of crying about it they did something about it....set up a JSA with AA. What did Virgin do? Complain, complain, complain.....

I'm really not too sure what Virgin's number one priority is.....turning a healthy profit and growing the company or playing the anti-BA card. I'm beginning to think it is the latter.

The IAG/BD deal will go through tomorrow, on the condition that they give up slots to Scotland and Saudi Arabia. And if Virgin start LHR-Scotland routes I will eat my hat.

[Edited 2012-03-29 16:35:49]

mikey72

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:20 am

Quoting lhr380 (Reply 105):
No, no one died, but what they did was illegal and wrong and unethical. If you think that sort of behaviour is fine, well....I don't really know what to say.

Trying to bankrupt a business by stealing customers away by lies and stealing information. Show me where VS has done that sort of thing. Yes they are a pain in the backside (SRB mainly) with what they say and have done here, but he has done nothing illegal........

You need to look at the bigger picture and calm it down.

Sorry but I'm entitled to my opinion. We're not talking about arms dealers or drug runners here for heavens sake.

I'm pretty sure that most major legacy carriers faced with a similar situation back in the 80's would have considered or used the same tactics. It is naive to think they would not.

Quoting bastew (Reply 106):

bastew is correct.
Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I can stand.

vv701

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 104):
how many of these routes have at least another competitor than BA?

All 20 with just one exception, namely ACC.

AIR MALTA
Topic Author

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:42 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 108):
All 20 with just one exception, namely ACC.

Just sums it up.

AIR MALTA
Topic Author

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:45 pm

When is the announcement going to happen?

bastew

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:54 pm

Today.

Though it is the EU and Brussels. They are probably on their four hour lunch break still.   

AIR MALTA
Topic Author

Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:03 pm

Quoting bastew (Reply 111):
Though it is the EU and Brussels. They are probably on their four hour lunch break still.

nice one. I live in Antwerp and I know many guys working there. I tried to corrupt someone working for the competition DG (not aviation) but did not manage  ... But hey, the result should come soon as they are all preparing their bags to go to the airport for the week end shuttles  

Dano1977

Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:22 pm

Decision of the merger due to be announced today at 1800UK time.
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

AIR MALTA
Topic Author

Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:26 pm

Quoting Dano1977 (Reply 113):

Good.

mikey72

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:04 pm

Humph....'bout time !

Wonder if SRB will do his '''Luke finding out Darth Vader is his father'' impression.

Actually that's quite amusing...

Willie Walsh : '' Richard, come with me, it is the only way''

Sir Richard : '' I'll never join you ''

Oh the drama.
Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I can stand.

LHR27C

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:10 pm

Actually, they just announced it.

I have started another thread as I thought it was significant (details of the slot requirements, etc):

IAG Wins EU Approval For Bmi (by LHR27C Mar 30 2012 in Civil Aviation)
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned forever skyward

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos