Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

irshava

RE: SQ Reintroducing Y Class On A345 US Nonstops...

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:07 am

Will this new service be introduced to EWR?
“If you were born without wings, do nothing to prevent them from growing.”

legacyins

Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:58 am

DOT data show SIA’s exclusive non-stop flights to the US, which operate with all-premium A340-500s configured with 100 business class seats, have performed fairly well last year. The Newark-Singapore flight recorded an average load factor of 75% in 1H2011. The Los Angeles flight had an average load factor of 66% in 1H2011 but has performed better since capacity was cut from seven to five weekly flights at the beginning of May. Both non-stop routes were also scaled back during the global economic downturn as load factors sunk below 50% in late 2008 and early 2009.

Ron88888888

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:05 am

SQ 21 and 22 being some of my favorite airline experiences ever -- so, I finally took out a membership on this site after years of enjoying reading the forums from the sidelines. I've flown this flight roundtrip a dozen times since it began -- have enjoyed each time tremendously. Flying over the north pole, I've enjoyed waking up midflight to gaze at massive icebergs in the Arctic circle, the Canadian tundra, and the Mongolian grasslands at sunset (or was it sunrise?)... the scenery along the way is unbelievably beautiful and wild. I just wish I had been able to see the aurora borealis. Anyone else have any favorite sights while on these flights?

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 45):
Why is the J product on the SQ A380 more comfortable than the A345? I thought they were almost identical.

Honestly, I find it an absolute pleasure to fly the 345 in SQ J class. In general, the J product is unbelievably good on SQ in my opinion (I even find the food fantastic), but I feel even more so on the 345 than the A380 or even the 77W. The J product on the 345 feels more roomy than on the A380 or 77W -- I believe the pitch is more generous. Also, I feel the 345 itself is a smoother ride for some reason I cannot put my finger on.

I hope SQ will be able to keep this ULH route for years to come... I've appreciated not having to stop and disembark and reboard in Frankfurt or Amsterdam as I used to have to do for SIN-NYC on SQ. The only drawback I've found is that for EWR-SIN, there's no shower accessible at the EWR lounge, whereas during the stop in FRA or AMS a shower is easy to get. Because I am always connecting starting my journey for EWR-SIN via DC or Boston, I always wished I could get cleaned up before boarding the 18.5 hr flight.

With a switch back to mix J and Y class on this routing, I think there will also be a peculiar side benefit. J class passengers who are used to getting on before most everyone else are not afforded the same experience for the EWR and LAX non stops, with everyone being in the same class. I've witnessed this a few times, with some passengers actually insisting to the gate agent on boarding first as if they were afraid of being relegated to boarding with Y class. How funny it is to watch this behavior. Those folks will again get the satisfaction that has been eluding them for some time!

SQ22

Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:45 am

Quoting airbazar (Reply 47):

I haven't flown an A380 but everyone raves about how much more comfortable and quiet it is compared to everything else. And the hard product is also better than on the old ratty 744's.

Me too, but 744 upper deck was nice.

Quoting Ron88888888 (Reply 52):
SQ 21 and 22 being some of my favorite airline experiences ever -- so, I finally took out a membership on this site after years of enjoying reading the forums from the sidelines. I've flown this flight roundtrip a dozen times since it began -- have enjoyed each time tremendously. Flying over the north pole, I've enjoyed waking up midflight to gaze at massive icebergs in the Arctic circle, the Canadian tundra, and the Mongolian grasslands at sunset (or was it sunrise?)... the scenery along the way is unbelievably beautiful and wild. I just wish I had been able to see the aurora borealis. Anyone else have any favorite sights while on these flights?

I totally agree. I also preferred EWR over JFK when I had to go to Manhattan, just take the train an you'll arrive at Penn Station, very convenient.

AngMoh

Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:55 am

Quoting sq_ek_freak (Reply 40):
Didn't SQ charge a hefty premium for the non stops to the USA even when Executive Economy existed? I remember having the choice of about $1,200 via NRT or a little over $1,700 on direct....is that what you were referring to? If that premium is enough to cover the costs of operating the ULH is another matter I suppose...

Originally there was a $200 surcharge which later disappeared. The difference is that for the non-stop flight, no discounted (or non-flexible) fares were available. If you flew on a fully flexible ticket in the highest booking class, the cost for SIN-LAX was the same as SIN-NRT-LAX but the direct flight was executive economy, so in fact better value for money. So for business there normally was not a big difference, but if it was a holiday trip when you go for the cheapest rather than a flexible ticket there was quite a large difference in fare.
727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739/ER 742 743 744/M 752 753 762 772 77E 773 77W 788 A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 A345 A346 A359 A35K A388 DC-9 DC-10 MD11 MD81 MD82 MD87 F70 ERJ145 E170 E175 E190 E195 ATR72 Q400 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 BAE146 RJ85

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:01 am

Today's indicative loads:

SQ038: 90%
SQ037: 93%

SQ022: 100%
SQ021: 80%
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

infinit

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:05 am

Honestly, I find it an absolute pleasure to fly the 345 in SQ J class. In general, the J product is unbelievably good on SQ in my opinion (I even find the food fantastic), but I feel even more so on the 345 than the A380 or even the 77W. The J product on the 345 feels more roomy than on the A380 or 77W -- I believe the pitch is more generous. Also, I feel the 345 itself is a smoother ride for some reason I cannot put my finger on.

I hope SQ will be able to keep this ULH route for years to come... I've appreciated not having to stop and disembark and reboard in Frankfurt or Amsterdam as I used to have to do for SIN-NYC on SQ. The only drawback I've found is that for EWR-SIN, there's no shower accessible at the EWR lounge, whereas during the stop in FRA or AMS a shower is easy to get. Because I am always connecting starting my journey for EWR-SIN via DC or Boston, I always wished I could get cleaned up before boarding the 18.5 hr flight.

Must be quite a view.

This has always been the flight I've wanted to be on most. I'd rather this than flying with their Suites product. For the very reason that its 14hours of bliss!

Interesting reading all the perspectives above. Perhaps this route is simply not viable. If they can't make money with a 70-80%-filled full-fare J class plane, I doubt it would be profitable bringing their other products- Y and even F in.

Maybe a stopover somewhere is inevitable.

airbazar

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:31 pm

Quoting infinit (Reply 56):
Interesting reading all the perspectives above. Perhaps this route is simply not viable. If they can't make money with a 70-80%-filled full-fare J class plane, I doubt it would be profitable bringing their other products- Y and even F in.

That was my point originally. They can't make money with J, how can they expect to make money with Y fares?
I think this is simply the case that the route is so expensive to operate that they can't ever charge high enough fares to cover the costs, so if they're going to lose money on it, they may as well expand coverage through a wider customer base. It also keeps these customer from flying with a competitor, and there's some business sense in that. It's not like SIA is hurting for money or anything. They can afford to operate a few non profitable routes for prestige and market share. It's important to not lose sight of the big picture here.  

nycdave

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:24 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 47):
Sorry none of that makes sense. Comparing SQ's EWR-SIN with the JFK-FRA-SIN, it's an extra 2hrs eastbound and 3hrs westbound, on the same plane, and plenty of time to sleep on the way to SIN. How do you figure "at least 8-10"?

My apologies -- there are a couple routings that come in around 5-7 hours longer than the n/s, but most alternate routings are longer... and of course, all of that depends on no delays, while the n/s often arrives nearly an hour early.

Also, most of the people I know *don't* enjoy the prospect of being herded off the plane to enjoy the world-class amenities and ambience of FRA (sarcasm), especially when they could be sleeping peacefully instead.

docpepz

Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:39 pm

Quoting SInGAPORE_AIR (Reply 55):

Today's indicative loads:

SQ038: 90%
SQ037: 93%

SQ022: 100%
SQ021: 80%

It's Friday so of course the flights are full. Do give us the loads on a Wed. Thanks for this anyway!

Flighty

Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:00 pm

Quoting airbazar (Reply 57):
They can't make money with J, how can they expect to make money with Y fares?

As with any flight, the demand is a mix of economy and premium class. The most profitable business and economy fares are distinct from one another. You plan your seat map to make the most profits, as a fleet (not only on that route, at least typically). Usually that plan has a certain amount of economy (usually the majority of the aircraft length). Does economy make more money than an extended J class that might be empty, yes it does. At the limit, you can be almost certain that the initial 50 economy seats will outperform the dregs of the J class. So few airlines go all J class on a fleet.

hodja
Topic Author

Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:13 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 45):
A 777-200LR, while more efficient, is not going to be amazingly so and with SQ already having paid off their A340-500 fleet, the capital costs of adding five 777-200LRs makes such a scenario financially untenable (even if SQ gets half off, that would be upwards of $690 million).

Years ago, when the 777-200LR was just introduced, a lot of forum members felt SQ should immediately sell the A345 at a loss, and buy new 777-200LR with cash, merely because it was a marginally better aircraft in terms of performance.

If SQ had actually done somthing like that, it'd been a total financial disaster...

As you say, the profitability & success of these marginal ULH routes don't really depend heavily on the actual equipment being flown.

Anecdotally speaking, I've been on both routes several times and usually found the cabins half full on weekdays. With only 100 seats on the aircraft, I'd imagine SQ needs a fairly high load factor to offset the significant costs of operation.

FWIW, I think the ULH's are a great product - flying nonstop is the way to go, and I'd pick it anytime over a 1-stop flight. I welcome the reintroduction of Y+, which would certainly make these routes a more frequent option for myself. (usually only flying J when someone else is paying or using points)

[Edited 2012-03-30 21:10:26]

[Edited 2012-03-30 21:23:44]

sshank

Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:05 am

You summed it up beautifully! I have done SQ 21/22 a couple of times and the scenery on the route is absolutely unreal.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos