Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetblueguy22

RE: TSA Agent Throws Coffee At AA Pilot

Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:17 am

If a someone has proper identification I don't understand what the big deal is. He was clearly there for a flight and was not a security risk. On the other hand the lack of uniform inspection is what bugs me with the TSA. When I fly out of LGA and BDL it is such a hassle to go through. I'm not exactly a frequent flier but I have been trained through the years to make sure my laptop sleeve is out and ready and liquids easily accesible. But when I'm at BDL they told me to put my iPad in a separate bin, LGA and GFK (granted it is a small airport) did not. At LGA they told me I had to take my laptop out of the protective sleeve, while GFK and BDL they did not. It's just confusing. They need uniformity. The agents at GFK though are much more pleasant than any airport I've experienced. On my flight home for spring break the guy asked me if I was a college student, how things were going, and why I would come all the way out to GFK for school! Though I imagine with a less busy facility they don't have to deal with much out of the ordinary.
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

kevi747

Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:26 am

Quoting vegas005 (Reply 14):
The military should do the screening. They are trained, disciplined and most importantly courteous...

For a few weeks (months?) after 9/11 ex-military guy's were doing security checks at our airports. I've never again experienced such professionalism, courtesy, and respect at an airport...worldwide. And it wasn't just crew members they treated well, it was the flying public as well. "Excuse me, ma'am, let me lift that bag for you." US military personnel are my favorite passengers to have onboard and they were the BEST security screeners, bar none. They are the most respectful, humble, and disciplined people on earth. Every time I have a US soldier onboard is a delight. US airport security screening should be a high paying, well trained job offered to returning vets.

And please don't forget that there are good people who actually take pride in their jobs: To the TSA employees who perform their job with a high level of professionalism and pride: Thank you!

Quoting LXa332 (Reply 44):
Quoting kevi747 (Reply 11):
The BAA security screeners at LHR make the TSA folks at JFK look like the cheerful hostesses at your local Hooters. Those sadistic bastards literally "get off" on harassing, delaying, belittling, and humiliating the flying public, and flight crews in particular.

I flew out of LHR this summer, and I never had any of that treatment! The screeners at ATL were worse than LHR.

Well, lucky you! Maybe its only US based employees they hate.  
Quoting N62NA (Reply 37):
Sounds like you are describing visa officers at any U.S. embassy.   

Don't even get me started on that!   Try being a gay man with a foreign partner....then we'll talk. LOL!  
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

kapnoc4389

Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:44 am

Quoting m11stephen (Reply 12):
The least these people could do is conduct themselves in a professional manner.

Well said! This is an incident that would not have happened had the TSA "officers" acted in a professional manner. The least they could do is act as if they cared about security...

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 19):
I know TSA is not perfect, but they seem to be improving over the years.

Well, if they are getting better it is definitely not at any of the many airports that I frequent(ORD, JFK, SFO...).

XFSUgimpLB41X

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:41 am

I wonder how many millions of dollars of business the TSA has costed the barely profitable US airline industry...
Chicks dig winglets.

maxamuus

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:08 am

Quoting XFSUgimpLB41X (Reply 53):
I wonder how many millions of dollars of business the TSA has costed the barely profitable US airline industry...

I would guess since 09/11 it isnt millions, its billions.

bombayhog

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:36 am

Quoting something (Reply 6):
Just an innocent question: Why do these things always happen in the USA? People are getting assaulted, tasered, groped, arrested for petty crimes, strip searched for not wearing a seatbelt or even killed. You don't really hear those stories from other continents.

Seems strange to hear someone from the UK say this. I'd much rather walk around in a US city/town than in the UK--land of drunken hooligans desperately looking for a fight. While you're probably right that there's a culture of violence in the US that's more systemic on an official level (i.e. police), at ground-level I find the incidence and threat of assault and abuse to be much higher in the UK. And while UK cops may not be doing as much tasering, they can certainly be downright abusive on other levels.

usflyer msp

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:01 am

Quoting geezer (Reply 29):
So after 9-11-01, the Federal Government steps in, takes over security; for quite a time, they had a very good man heading up TSA; (or was it the "parent body", HLS ? Anyway, Michael Chertoff was "in charge"......did a damn good job; he's a very smart man, BTW. Then, in comes the new "Bumbler-in-Chief", and who does he appoint to "run the show" ?

Why, that paragon of no-nothingness, of ZERO ability to run anything, Queen Janet ! THAT's when it all started to go "down hill", and it's been going down farther and farther ever since. Take a close look and you will notice that many of the people who are screaming about TSA right now, are the same people who who put O'bummer in the WH, who in turn gave us the present sorry excuse for leadership running Homeland Security, which in turn runs TSA. The actual guy who is "in charge" at TSA is a pretty decent, well qualified ex-FBI type.........(forget his name at the moment), but as long as he, (and everyone below him in TSA) has to answer to the present lack of leadership at "the top", you're going to continue seeing the same old, same old from the people at "the bottom". A very good example below...........

Nice attempt at right-wing revisionist history...Chertoff was an incompetent bozo just like his boss GWB...remember Hurricane Katrina???? Napolitano isn't great either, I will admit, but we have not had any more attacks have we?

Quoting kevi747 (Reply 51):
US military personnel are my favorite passengers to have onboard and they were the BEST security screeners, bar none. They are the most respectful, humble, and disciplined people on earth. Every time I have a US soldier onboard is a delight. US airport security screening should be a high paying, well trained job offered to returning vets.

Military worship much???? There are tons of military people that are complete @sses like everyone else. FYI, TSA screening is a veterans preference job so alot of the @asshole screeners are ex-military!!!!! My recollection of the National Guard at the checkpoints is not so great...my most vivid memory is one of them accidentally shooting himself in the butt.

The bad TSA screeners are just another reflection of the un-civil society that US has devolved into...where it seems like a competition as to whom can be the rudest, crudest, and laziest...

aloges

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:06 am

Quoting Splitterz (Reply 45):
I just want TSA to be the same across the board no matter what airport I am at. It shouldn't be a guessing game.

Isn't the excuse that if it were the same across the board, the "bad guys" would know exactly what to prepare for? I have to admit that's a pretty astonishing defence of inconsistency.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

planesmith

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:17 am

The only reason people get mad at the TSA is because they're now experiencing themselves, what minorities have been experiencing for a much longer time in many more facets of life. Ironically, probably from the same people who now cry foul.

So true!

Without diplomatic immunity there is just no way I'd step foot on US soil.

Again - so true!!!

Those sadistic bastards literally "get off" on harassing, delaying, belittling, and humiliating the flying public, and flight crews in particular. You must approach them humbly, oozing humility and respect, and they just might grant you access to the aircraft without tearing your bags apart and groping you from head to toe.

any future travel by me will be by sea - and it will avoid the USA....

DTWPurserBoy

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:45 am

For some unknown reason, many TSA and Customs Officials (LHR!) seem to have a real problem with pilots and flight attendants. We don't dare complain or they make our lives misrable. In London I have seen them rip the lining out of suitcases, throw clothing on the floor, arbitrarily "confiscate" items. They have even threatened one female flight attendant to provide a receipt for her wedding and engagement rings that were 30 years old or they would confiscate them. She bursts into tears. Well, needless to say the whole crew ganged up on them, called the station manager and the matter was dropped.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

tonystan

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:58 am

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 59):
many TSA and Customs Officials (LHR!)

TSA in the UK??? Wow, when did we become the 51st state??? LOL!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

eaglepower83

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:55 pm

Personally, I'm a little confused how TSA security is different from pre-9/11 security, sans the pain of taking off your shoes and belts. Oh, and the nudi-scan machines. Those are all things that could've been implemented, TSA or not....it's just more expensive now.
Agreed, the attitudes of many TSA agents are pretty well representative of the average population.
Most are very nice, even humorous. A few are major D!cks....all have that "healthy" dose of American exceptionalism and elitism.
I don't feel any more or less safe than I did pre-9/11. Most of the equipment is the same, and I don't recall any TSA checkpoints actually stopping any terrorists. Maybe out there somewhere they have..........but the fact that I have NO idea, means the TSA has failed.

I'm getting REALLY tired of the nudi-scaning.....maybe I'll opt for pat-down from now on, at least that's a more personal experience. LOL.

United_fan

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:58 pm

Quoting SEA" class="quote" target="_blank">SEA (Reply 20):
Quoting vegas005 (Reply 14):
The military should do the screening. They are trained, disciplined and most importantly courteous...

I'm at COS right now where a LOT of the TSA personell are ex-military and they're really really friendly folks. The same goes for SEA. Seriously, they always ask you about your day, how you're doing, etc. These are people I wouldn't mind having over for dinner. It's a shame that other cities stain the reputation of those who are actually professional and courteous.

Well,dont come to ROC,they are almost all rude, arrogent and demeaning. Except for the cute blonde checking ID's Sunday (she must be new-she was friendly).
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

caljn

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:05 pm

Quoting nycdave (Reply 7):

A certain segment of the population will acquiesce to any indignity. "Keep us safe!" is their mantra.
We allow people to walk around with concealed weapons and take it upon themselves to shoot anyone who they deem suspicious and threatening. It is crazy, but the result of a large media organization appealing to the base instincts of their low information audience.

And what is this newest semi-enforced rule of removing your belt at the tsa checkpoint? I won't do it and will opt for the pat down every time. Nor will I go thru the "hold your hands above your head" scanner. The illusion of security.
I saw two non-US citizens, tourists going thru the checkpoint at LAX the other day on their bare feet. I wanted to apologize for my country and what's happened to us and explain we are not all fearful little mice and that some us of understand life is full of risk, but we choose to live it anyway.

gsoflyer

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:18 pm

The airlines do get the blame. The TSA isn't mandatory, it is just that using them takes liability from teh airline to provide the same security.

Cubsrule

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:28 pm

Quoting gsoflyer (Reply 64):
The TSA isn't mandatory,

You should tell that to places like SFB and CLT, which have been trying for years to get private screeners.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Mortyman

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:35 pm

They have even threatened one female flight attendant to provide a receipt for her wedding and engagement rings that were 30 years old or they would confiscate them.

Wow, incredible !

What was the custom official reasoning for considering weddingrings as a treat ?

Just, plain stupid

mogandoCI

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:46 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 48):
It's no different that fast food or any other low-wage service sector job. With the right management, the low-skill, low-wage buffoons act like professionals. With the wrong management, the low-skill, low-wage buffoons act like low-skill, low-wage buffoons.

Only barely. Unions are designed to protect people's jobs even when they can continue exhibit really horrible attitude at the expense of customer service, as long as the limited set of rules written in stone aren't violated.

Somehow you rarely see bad airport security agents at major Asian hubs like SIN, HKG, ICN, NRT etc. Just because TSA is there to "keep you safe" doesn't mean they're carte blanche to mistreat customers.

eurowings

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:56 pm

For some unknown reason, many TSA and Customs Officials (LHR!) seem to have a real problem with pilots and flight attendants.

There is no TSA in the UK, same with the rest of Europe. I believe the situation is similar to the pre-9/11 set-up in the US, where airport security is the responsibility of the airport operator (in the UK these are private companies). The operator, which is BAA at LHR, can choose to employ their own security team or use private contractors. The screening must comply with UK Department for Transport regulations. Any complaints should be forwarded to the airport operator. I have never had a reason to complain actually, but I rarely fly out of LHR. I use MAN where the staff are usually amiable.

My own *limited* experiences with the US TSA have been mixed. The worst I found was JFK T4 where the employees were rather rude and not very tolerant of passengers who spoke limited English (very common in this international terminal). They were rolling their eyes when an elderly lady was confused at where to go (I thought it was pretty confusing too) and they kept simply barking at her "go with the flow", which made no sense with the chaotic queue.

Oh, and what's with the "say your name" thing at TSA ID check points? The funny thing is they don't even check your ID at security control outside the US!

[Edited 2012-04-05 07:03:28]
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

goboeing

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:02 pm

What a terrible, horrible, pathetic, disgusting, inept organization.

The TSA momentarily makes me embarrassed to be a citizen of the USA.

bjorn14

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:03 pm

Quoting usflyer msp (Reply 56):
but we have not had any more attacks have we?

What about the Christmas Day bomber?...not a very successful attack but still an attack.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

tommy767

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:13 pm

I've never had a problem with a TSA agent at any airport but the New York Area ones -- Especially EWR. I hope the AA pressses charges against him.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

tonystan

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:51 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 66):
Wow, incredible !

What was the custom official reasoning for considering weddingrings as a treat ?

Just, plain stupid

Iv heard this story loads of times. Its an urban legend. The version I have heard involves Indian customs where crew are required to fill out a joint customs declaration form which includes the weight of any ring that crew members may be wearing.

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 71):

What about the Christmas Day bomber?...not a very successful attack but still an attack.

And the shoe bomber!

And the liquid bombers!

BoxBoy

Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:47 pm

It's all about education. The big cities with poor education have the worst trouble with TSA. MIA, NYC, LAX, DTW. TSA is forced to hire whomever can pass a drug test and doesn't have a criminal record yet. When you give uneducated people authority and little supervision this is the obvious result. Do it in a big city, and it will make the news.

Just an innocent question: Why do these things always happen in the USA?

Stay out of the above cities, and you won't have a problem.

kevi747

Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:12 pm

Military worship much????

Yes. I love them.

There are tons of military people that are complete @sses like everyone else.

I'm sure there are some. Tons? I doubt it. Never had a single one be anything but friendly and respectful on any of my flights in 14 years of flying.

The bad TSA screeners are just another reflection of the un-civil society that US has devolved into...where it seems like a competition as to whom can be the rudest, crudest, and laziest...

You couldn't possibly be more wrong. That's a common stereotype though. I flew International routes for 11 years and have been flying domestic US routes the last 5 months. If given the choice I would take a plane full of Americans any day. Rudest? Hardly.    Americans are frequently the nicest, most pleasant people to deal with on an airplane. Laziest? Please.    The second the 10,000 foot bell chimes they can't get their laptops out fast enough to start working. Plus, with an average of only 13 days of vacation a year, we work much more when compared to most other first world countries.

Don't get me wrong there are nice people everywhere. We just have a higher percentage of them here in the USA.  
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

m11stephen

Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:57 pm

You my friend are my hero. I come across this problem all the time.

If you have access to it I would suggest printing off the section of the Aircraft Operator Standard Security Program (AOSSP) relating to vaild identification at screening checkpoints... It is ridiculous how one airport, that my carrier didn't even fly to, would gladly accept my airline ID yet an airport that my carrier had a hub at wouldn't accept it.
My opinions, statements, etc. are my own and do not have any association with those of any employer.

nycdave

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:01 pm

Wow -- lot of anger and vitriol, but only two insightful ideas I've seen:

1) It's ultimately a management problem -- hire the right people, give them the right training, supervise them adequately, and you can even make absurd, post-9/11 security procedures somewhat tolerable. "Unions", "poor, uneducated people", "the gub'mint", and even my favorite, "low wages", are just scapegoats. You can change/eliminate any of them and not improve service a whit if management isn't improved.

2) The problem seems to be worst at large airports and major international gateways -- though as to why, there's no shortage of possible causes.

I agree that not all TSA are awful... even in the worst airports (I've actually had a fairly decent -- and occasionally even friendly -- time of it going through LGA). Likewise, sometimes you get some real awful agents at small airports just as sure as you find small-town sheriffs with power trip complexes. There's awful, incompetent, and outright crazy people in every industry and walk of life. That's not an excuse for the TSA though. If some states have been able to turn around their DMV's with faster and better service, the TSA can get its act together and provide a more uniform, pleasant experience.

AT

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:49 pm

Being a TSA screener (The term officer is insulting to real law enforcement officers) doesn't even require a high school diploma yet the starting pay is at least $13/hr..

Thirteen dollars isn't exactly a cushy salary! Especially in East Coast cities where the cost of living is high.
And it may not require a college education but it is by far from an easy job.

splitterz

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:31 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 57):
I just want TSA to be the same across the board no matter what airport I am at. It shouldn't be a guessing game.

Isn't the excuse that if it were the same across the board, the "bad guys" would know exactly what to prepare for? I have to admit that's a pretty astonishing defence of inconsistency.

What I refer is simply ID checks and other small processes. I try to perfect the process to quickly and efficiently get through security. My problems with inconsistency will not be bringing down an airplane anytime soon thank you very much.

Quoting m11stephen (Reply 75):
You my friend are my hero. I come across this problem all the time.

If you have access to it I would suggest printing off the section of the Aircraft Operator Standard Security Program (AOSSP) relating to vaild identification at screening checkpoints... It is ridiculous how one airport, that my carrier didn't even fly to, would gladly accept my airline ID yet an airport that my carrier had a hub at wouldn't accept it.

I have thought about it, and it would humorous to show em up especially in front of pax. I am sure, however, they would come up with something like "you violated the need to know rule, by having that information to accessible." Somehow it wouldn't surprise me hahaha  

mogandoCI

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:46 pm

Quoting nycdave (Reply 76):
It's ultimately a management problem

Sure, blame the boss, since the individual obviously does not need to have any accountability, since it's merely a reflection of him not being trained or "supervised adequately."

This is a sad state of affairs when we have to put carrots on a stick in front of people just to get them to do their jobs.

lxa333

Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Hoodrats working at TSA, I can say though at Terminal 4 @ JFK which I have used heavily over the years. I have never run into problems with these hoodlums, but they sound unprofessional to me if you hear them conversing with one another. Thats their business though. All I want is for my passport to be checked so I can be on my way to civil societies like those in Switzerland etc. Would never fly AA anyways, so T8 is out of the question.
SWISSAIR-Worlds most refreshing airline

shamrock604

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:29 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 60):

I'm afraid I can also vouch for airport security in the UK having some sort of problem with crew. Its the only place where consistently, the security process is something to be dreaded. That said, when flying as a regular pax, i've never had a problem in recent times. (I say recent as I was treated disgracefully as a young child and called a "little IRA man" by LHR security)

On the subject of the TSA, I actually got the impression they were improving from recent trips to the USA (except at LAX).

aloges

Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:56 pm

Quoting Splitterz (Reply 78):
My problems with inconsistency will not be bringing down an airplane anytime soon thank you very much.

I do beg your pardon? I was referring to the TSA's excuse for their inconsistency as I heard it, not to any travellers' actions.

JAAlbert

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:22 pm

Of course, thowing coffee - if this did occur - is never acceptable. But really, I don't understand the animosity towards the TSA. I travel pretty frequently and I've never had a difficult time from the TSA agents. Even the time I accidentally left the world's largest pair of wire cutters in my computer laptop (well, I was surrounded and pulled to the side, but they were huge). I've seen the hoards of people TSA agents process at EWR and JFK and LAX and am amazed that, despite the hassle we all go through, they have uniformally been courteous.

I don't think the institution of the TSA is the real problem here. Their conduct is merely indicative for a mentality prevalent among a certain, not too tiny, portion of the American population.

"Don't Tread on Me" is the colonial slogan that sums up the uniquely USA attitude. It's okay if we put all our private stuff into the media via facebook, match.com, etc., but how dare a gov't agency enforce security laws!

Without diplomatic immunity there is just no way I'd step foot on US soil.

Ummm . . ., a statement indicative of a different sort of mentality prevalent among a certain, not too tin, portion of the world's population

Quoting nycdave (Reply 7):
anyone know of some good hiring opportunities in Australia, or maybe Scandinavia?

Wasn't it someplace in Scandinavia where some guy blew up the prime minister's office and then shot up 37 kids at a camp?

lewis

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:47 pm

I don't get why people put the UK's security personnel and procedures above TSA, they are equally rude (in a more British way in the UK - more obnoxious than 'in-your-face-rude') and follow the same insane rules! I had a bottle of contact lens solution thrown to the bin at LHR, the bottle was 120ml but it was less than half full. Their brains couldn't grasp that the liquid was not even 60ml. They didn't show any sign of intelligence whatsoever. I have to say that my experiences with the TSA (minus the mandatory groping) were more pleasant than the ones in the UK.

m11stephen

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:11 pm

I have thought about it, and it would humorous to show em up especially in front of pax. I am sure, however, they would come up with something like "you violated the need to know rule, by having that information to accessible." Somehow it wouldn't surprise me hahaha

Haha, unfortunately that wouldn't surprise me! I always just carried around a printed copy of the list of acceptable IDs on the TSAs own website. I wasn't trying to be a jerk or cause problems but the only ID I had at the time was my airline ID since I didn't have a passport and I had physically lost my drivers license card.
My opinions, statements, etc. are my own and do not have any association with those of any employer.

splitterz

Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:46 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 82):
My problems with inconsistency will not be bringing down an airplane anytime soon thank you very much.

I do beg your pardon? I was referring to the TSA's excuse for their inconsistency as I heard it, not to any travellers' actions.

I must've misunderstood you. My apologies!

bond007

Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:39 am

Quoting kevi747 (Reply 11):
TSA screeners at JFK Terminal 8 are some of the most rude, unprofessional folks I've ever seen. Seeing them roll their eyes and shout out passengers is a daily part of my morning routine. This has convinced me that the TSA is nothing more than a "get out of the ghetto" job creation program
Quoting chopchop767 (Reply 27):
The vast majority of the agents I've encountered are incredibly rude
Quoting hiloboy1 (Reply 32):
they were the rudest folks I've ever dealt with

So, you've either had the worst bad luck (but I doubt it), are lying, exagerrating, or simply are following the 'TSA are idiots' crowd. Sure, there are one-time incidents where one TSA guy is a jerk, almost as common as when a gate agent is a jerk perhaps. Some pilots have even been found drinking on the job also ... imagine - that's not worthy of painting all pilots as alcoholics of course.

Funny, I fly 200 times a year, every year, domestic in the US, and haven't seen any of this - hmmmm .... maybe it's my attitude, maybe I'm just lucky enough to find the nice TSA guys .... I wonder  

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

virgincrew

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:50 am

I have had a run in with TSA before in LAX. There professionalism can sometimes be called into question.

I remember challenging them over searching my crew case, the agent asked for my case combination at check in, I said I would open it myself and I wanted to be present during the search.

He refused and I had to go to his supervisor.

I won !!

But found when I reached LHR that my 'Crew Tag' had been taken off my case (very hard for VS crew tags to come off accidentally) and my bag had been passed through the passenger channel and I had to go to LHR Terminal 3 Baggage Reclaim after an 11hr flight to retrieve my case.

I complained to TSA at LAX and they searched cctv and saw the agent cutting off my crew tag !!

Sometimes the way they talk to people, crew and passengers alike is so unprofessional, I know they have a hard job but unless there is an immediate threat to security they should always be professional.
Hello Beautiful !!!

DTWPurserBoy

Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:52 am

Quoting tonystan (Reply 60):
many TSA and Customs Officials (LHR!)

TSA in the UK??? Wow, when did we become the 51st state??? LOL!
Quoting eurowings (Reply 68):
There is no TSA in the UK, same with the rest of Europe

Guys, I think I probably should have been more clear. Of course there is no TSA in the UK--HM Customs are the culprits I was talking about. TSA here just give crews minor hassles--like telling the captain he can't take his fingernail clippers on the airplane because he might take control of the airplane. HE ALREADY HAS CONTROL OF THE AIRPLANE!

Frankly I don't see why we have a Department of Homeland Security. We already had one. It's called THE DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE.

I will pay the TSA their due--they are more thorough than the previous minimum wage people that were there pre-9/11. I find if I just smile and say "Good Morning" I never have issues with them.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

aloges

Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:18 pm

Quoting virgincrew (Reply 88):
Sometimes the way they talk to people, crew and passengers alike is so unprofessional, I know they have a hard job but unless there is an immediate threat to security they should always be professional.

Sometimes, I can't help thinking that they're trained to just bark orders and never even listen to a question. Recently at CLE, I was told for the first time to take my all-plastic belt off - so I asked if it could stay on because there's no metal on it. The agent was pretty unhelpful and simply repeated her order more loudly, with no explanation and with that distinct "Do as you're told, puny underling!" attitude.

Later the same day at EWR, there was another agent of the same caliber so I just took the thing off again. Surprise, surprise, it got caught in the X-ray machine and was retrieved by a supervisor. That gentleman was friendly, helpful and explained to me that the backscatter scanner they were using would pick up even that small plastic belt - which was entirely believable because it also picked up some moisture in my shirt.

That made me wonder: since they have those signs and flatscreen monitors telling you how dangerous everything is and what you mustn't bring on board, couldn't they include such information on it? It should be simple enough and would help prevent unpleasant situations such as mine.

[Edited 2012-04-06 05:24:41]

shamrock604

Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:59 pm

Quoting virgincrew (Reply 88):

That certainly sounds very familiar - I have found LAX to be the worst in the US for the "tude".

JFK recently was a dream...pleasant, friendly and welcoming.

virgincrew

Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:12 pm

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 91):
JFK recently was a dream...pleasant, friendly and welcoming.

I have always found JFK to be great - even in the early days after 9/11 always polite and professional !

LAX have always been vile ....

I remember this BA stewardess once going through before me, we were chatting and we took everything off, belts, waistcoat, shoes etc... but she kept beeping.

She worked out it was her suspender belt clips and when she explained the TSA agent asked to see and she refused unless in private - the TSA agent refused so she hoisted up her skirt and shouted "satisfied" - I nearly fell over !

Hello Beautiful !!!

TSS

Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:38 pm

Quoting virgincrew (Reply 92):
She worked out it was her suspender belt clips and when she explained the TSA agent asked to see and she refused unless in private - the TSA agent refused so she hoisted up her skirt and shouted "satisfied" - I nearly fell over !

For those trying to imagine why a female F/A would be wearing men's suspenders under her skirt, "suspender belt" in the UK is the same as "garter belt" in the US.  
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

tonystan

Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:30 pm

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 81):

I'm afraid I can also vouch for airport security in the UK having some sort of problem with crew. Its the only place where consistently, the security process is something to be dreaded. That said, when flying as a regular pax, i've never had a problem in recent times. (I say recent as I was treated disgracefully as a young child and called a "little IRA man" by LHR security)

On the subject of the TSA, I actually got the impression they were improving from recent trips to the USA (except at LAX).

Must admit I have never had a run in. Im LHR based and walk through the customs channel at my airlines terminal every day and never as much as had a sniff from them.

When I was with Qatar I occasionally was hauled off the bus at the Queens Building and brought into the customs crew channel there but it was always a very random half hearted attempt and usually involved a bit of banter with them!

Maybe you just look suspicious! LOL!

virgincrew

Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:37 pm

Quoting TSS (Reply 93):
For those trying to imagine why a female F/A would be wearing men's suspenders under her skirt, "suspender belt" in the UK is the same as "garter belt" in the US.

THANKS TSS  
Hello Beautiful !!!

virgincrew

Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:38 pm

Quoting tonystan (Reply 94):
Must admit I have never had a run in. Im LHR based and walk through the customs channel at my airlines terminal every day and never as much as had a sniff from them.

When I was with Qatar I occasionally was hauled off the bus at the Queens Building and brought into the customs crew channel there but it was always a very random half hearted attempt and usually involved a bit of banter with them!

Couldn't agree more the crew channel at Queen's Building are normally great and so are HM Customs when you come back through !
Hello Beautiful !!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos