JU068
Topic Author

Ryanair's Paphos Base Opened Today

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:55 pm

Good afternoon.

This morning Ryanair's flights from Frankfurt Hahn and Stockholm Skavsta touched down in Paphos at 11:40 and 11:50 respectively. Both flights had a load factor of 85%.

Passengers were welcomed with traditional Cypriot food, dances, wine, welcome bags and music. Festivities lasted from 11:00 to 13:00.

Nassos Hadjigeorgiou, the head of the Paphos regional board of tourism, among other things stated that though these flights are needed but that the airport still needs connections to Austria, France and other airports in the Netherlands besides Amsterdam.

Ryanair will connect Paphos to a total of 15 European cities with two aircraft based in Cyprus. Tomorrow, April 6th, Ryanair will have a total of three departures out of Paphos to Thessaloniki, Chania and Krakow.

A few days ago Cyprus Mail reported that since the flights went on sale hotels in Paphos have seen more bookings. This is great news for the region as it has been badly hit by the crisis.

If you wish to read the full story please click here:
http://www.cyprus-mail.com/cyprus/new-era-begins-paphos/20120405

Ciao.

kl911

RE: Ryanair's Paphos Base Opened Today

Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:08 pm

Very good news indeed for the region, and for ME  
I cant wait to go BUD - PFO in October.

Will FR have a crew base in PFO too? or overnight the first two crews of the day?
Would Cyprus have so many pilots/crew available?

lukeyboy95

Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:15 pm

I was on the inaugural PIK-CHQ on 27th March just gone. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that was the first FR flight to call in at CHQ.

Regardless, sadly there was no such celebration or food, infact, it looked like the airport hadn't even realised FR were coming.

Loads were 65% outbound, and 3% inbound to PIK

Meanwhile, the same days STN service had 85% outbound, and 11% inbound.

Of course, it is early day in the season and the service, and hopefully loads will improve when flights are going so far.
Breaking down the stereotypes - one by one

[email protected]

Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:17 pm

Quoting kl911 (Reply 1):
Will FR have a crew base in PFO too?

As far as I'm aware, each FR base is also crew base.

Quoting kl911 (Reply 1):
Would Cyprus have so many pilots/crew available?

Don't forget that Cyprus is part of the EU, so pilots and cabin crew stationed there could be from anywhere within the EU.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

JU068
Topic Author

Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:26 pm

Quoting kl911 (Reply 1):
Will FR have a crew base in PFO too? or overnight the first two crews of the day?

It was stated that Ryanair will create 600 jobs in Paphos. So I guess that they will have a crew base there.

Quoting lukeyboy95 (Reply 2):
and 3% inbound to PIK

Wow!! How did it feel? 

lukeyboy95

Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:10 pm

Quoting ju068 (Reply 4):
Wow!! How did it feel? 

ha. On routing PIK-CHQ-STN, so I asked the FA's what the loading was back to PIK and they said about 6 passengers!

Certainly, on CHQ-STN with 11% it felt wonderful, alot like a private jet, and best of all, like I was getting one over on MOL!
Breaking down the stereotypes - one by one

kl911

Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:15 pm

Quoting ju068 (Reply 4):
It was stated that Ryanair will create 600 jobs in Paphos. So I guess that they will have a crew base there.

ok, I was under the impression that those jobs advertised by FR were always the groundstaff, shops, hotels etc in the whole area benefitting from a large base like this. But if you include those on top of 600 crew then this will be a very welcome boost to Cyprus unemployment figures.

Well done Ryanair.

Joost

Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:18 pm

Quoting ju068 (Reply 4):
Quoting kl911 (Reply 6):
ok, I was under the impression that those jobs advertised by FR were always the groundstaff, shops, hotels etc in the whole area benefitting from a large base like this. But if you include those on top of 600 crew then this will be a very welcome boost to Cyprus unemployment figures.

The 600-figure is probably derived from delivery 600,000 passengers per year. Ryanair uses a rule-of-thumb to define the number of jobs created, as 1000 jobs per 1 million yearly passengers. This number is quoted for every destination - not just bases. For Ryanair-like operations, the number is quite a high estimate.

For crew, Ryanair typically employs 6 sets of crew (2 cockpit + 4 cabin) = 36 people per based aircraft. For a 2-aircraft base like PAP, this is 72 employees. Of course, there is also airport staff, line maintenance staff, etc.

kl911

Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:41 pm

Quoting joost (Reply 7):
For crew, Ryanair typically employs 6 sets of crew (2 cockpit + 4 cabin) = 36 people per based aircraft. For a 2-aircraft base like PAP, this is 72 employees. Of course, there is also airport staff, line maintenance staff, etc.

And ofcourse the indirect jobs that Ryanair creates. Those 600,000 pax need accomodations, tours, restaurants, bars, taxi's etc.

CYatUK

Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:57 pm

Quoting joost (Reply 7):

I bet ex Eurocypria (ECA) crew must have been quite popular as they were flying the B738 for many years.

JU068
Topic Author

Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:14 pm

Does anyone know where they plan on servicing their aircraft? I doubt they have the adequate facilities in Paphos...

Joost

Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:42 pm

Quoting ju068 (Reply 10):

Does anyone know where they plan on servicing their aircraft? I doubt they have the adequate facilities in Paphos...

Minor servicing tasks (line maintenance) are usually performed at the bases, as well as some cleaning, etc.

For larger maintenance tasks (A-checks etc), basically anything that requires a hangar, the aircraft are rotated throughout the network to pass maintenance stations. IIRC, they have major facilities at PIK and also minor facilities at STN, DUB and some other airports.

Quoting kl911 (Reply 8):
And ofcourse the indirect jobs that Ryanair creates. Those 600,000 pax need accomodations, tours, restaurants, bars, taxi's etc.

Oh yes, tourism creates jobs. If Ryanair manages to attract additional tourism, the generates additional economic activity. If Ryanair only takes passengers from other carriers, without growing the total market, it doesn't generate additional jobs.

aeroflop

Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:45 am

Don't forget that they close bases at whim. So whenever they need to get rid of a base, goodbye 600 jobs.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos