Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

chuchoteur
Topic Author

Liquids Ban To Be Lifted?

Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:46 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tion-hand-luggage-lifted-year.html

Looks like new scanners may allow the liquid restrictions to be lifted?

rj777

RE: Liquids Ban To Be Lifted?

Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:04 pm

It looks like this may only pertain to UK airports.

jwhite9185

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Hope so, as its a bit of a pain when your going away for a few days but only need a rucksack.

Web500sjc

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:15 pm

There was some sort of device like that I'm Japan, ITM. I forgot to through out a bottle of water before going through securtiy... They had me put the bottle in some scanner... A green light popped up....and the bottle and I were cleared to fly.
Boiler Up!

warden145

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:26 pm

On a similar note, is the TSA starting to get more lenient about liquids? I flew out of BUR on Wednesday and forgot to pull my bag of liquids out of my suitcase when I went through security, and nobody said a word. I didn't even realize that I had forgotten to pull the bag out until after I got home...
ETOPS = Engine Turns Off, Passengers Swim

timf

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:31 pm

Quoting warden145 (Reply 4):
On a similar note, is the TSA starting to get more lenient about liquids? I flew out of BUR on Wednesday and forgot to pull my bag of liquids out of my suitcase when I went through security, and nobody said a word. I didn't even realize that I had forgotten to pull the bag out until after I got home...

I've started to do this on a regular basis and have never been questioned about it. I still make sure they are under 3 oz and in their own bag, but I just leave it inside my laptop bag (which is also the kind that doesn't require you to take out your computer) and they don't seem to care.

BlatantEcho

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:31 pm

I never pull liquids out and I've never been stopped (Alaska MVPGold, so I fly a fair amount).
I refuse to comply with their silly rules and they don't know what they're doing.... so it works out  

Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:39 pm

Quoting BlatantEcho (Reply 6):
I never pull liquids out and I've never been stopped (Alaska MVPGold, so I fly a fair amount).
I refuse to comply with their silly rules and they don't know what they're doing.... so it works out  

I look forward to meeting you at LHR .

Antidote

Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:40 pm

From what I saw yesterday going through security at PHX, about a quarter of the pax around me never removed their shoes despite specific verbal instructions to do so. All that happened is they got to the gate faster than the ones who complied.

Stratofish

Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:44 pm

Quoting rj777 (Reply 1):

Well, it is thanks to UK authorities we have the liquid ban in place in the first place. So whilst I do not know about TSA's plans in the US, once the UK lifts the ban the rest of Europe will follow within a week and probably the rest of the world also.

They said the ban would be lifted in 2011, that failed because the industry couldn't deliver reliable liquid scanners, since 2011 they say 2013...
The Metro might be the Sub(optimal)way

LXa332

Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:55 pm

Same thing happened to me at MSY.

Jetsgo

Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:21 pm

I don't even bother with travel size contact solution anymore. I went on several trips in 2011 through several airports and not one TSA agent said anything about my full size bottle (10-12oz). RNO, SFO, SMF, LAX, PHX, YUM, DTW, FLL, MCO - no one no where.
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

Chinook747

Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:38 pm

Quoting rj777 (Reply 1):

and the EU is mentioned in the article.

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 11):
I don't even bother with travel size contact solution anymore. I went on several trips in 2011 through several airports and not one TSA agent said anything about my full size bottle (10-12oz). RNO, SFO, SMF, LAX, PHX, YUM, DTW, FLL, MCO - no one no where.

In Canada anyway, contact solution is considered separate from normal liquids as it is considered a prescription, is this the same in the USA?

gizmonc

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:08 am

If the UK lifts the ban on liquids the US will folllow 6 months later. I have never been a fan of TSA. I was working for an airline when TSA started. Most of them had no idea what they were doing. First time I saw a TSA person find some S&M gear in a suitcase they about went NUTS. Screeners at the entrance to the gates had no idea of body piercings.

panam330

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:25 am

I've never put them in a clear plastic bag, and I've never taken them out of my carry-on bag for screening. Never been stopped, questioned, etc. Good to see my tax dollars have trained them appropriately.   

777ord

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:26 am

Im glad to see that the ban is being considered for removal. It really is a big pain to have to deal with it.

I just flew back from BRU on UA to ORD in J and they had no issue stopping a family who left a beer in his carry on in Brussels, but, me, they allowed me to come right through with a bottle of water that I was asking for a trashcan for.

silentbob

Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:46 am

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 11):

They are supposed to test contact solution bottles if they are over the limit. And that is exactly what has happened to me in every city where I have flown with a larger bottle. They're usually done by the time I am done putting my shoes on and getting everything else squared away. It's not really an inconvenience for me, but they always mention that there are travel sized containers available.

willd

Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:10 am

Quoting Stratofish (Reply 9):
Well, it is thanks to UK authorities we have the liquid ban in place in the first place.

I am unsure if your sentence is lost in translation or not. Surely the work of the UK Security Services along with those in the US, Canada, Australia and NZ (with whom we share intelligence, note very little is shared with our European allies) should be commended in this situation rather than highlighted as being an annoyance to travellers. Yes it is annoying but I for one am glad that the plot was discovered by the Security Services.

koruman

Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:23 am

Quoting willd (Reply 17):
Yes it is annoying but I for one am glad that the plot was discovered by the Security Services.

Are you deliberately winding up our American friends, or do you honestly believe that there was such a threat?

I would suggest that you read

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/17/flying_toilet_terror_labs/

Essentially, the "liquid menace" has never made the slightest chemical sense, and any ban should have extended to baggage in the hold if it was intended to reduce risk.

Then again, if the actual intent was to raise fears of terrorism and to ensure ongoing acquisition of "security" products, there was no need to implement a ban which actually made any sense.

ot. Surely the work of the UK Security Services along with those in the US, Canada, Australia and NZ (with whom we share intelligence, note very little is shared with our European allies) should be commended in this situation rather than highlighted as being an annoyance to travellers.

In Australia and New Zealand the ban on liquids has long since been discarded for domestic flights. It only remains for international flights to please our bigger allies.

Quokkas

Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:56 pm

Quoting koruman (Reply 18):
In Australia and New Zealand the ban on liquids has long since been discarded for domestic flights.

Not quite so. The Australian restrictions on the carriage of liquids, aerosols and gels only ever applied to international flights to and from Australia, and to passengers on the domestic leg of an international flight within Australia. This was the absurdity of the restrictions: it was assumed that there was no domestic risk but we were forced to comply with Regulations in force in other countries.
“Not to laugh, not to cry, not to hate, but understand.” Spinoza

baguy

Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:15 pm

Judging by the reluctance of operators like BAA to introduce new stuff and invest in airport infrastructure, I'm going to bet we have the ban for a while yet.

On a side note, I accidentally left a 50ml tub of Vaseline in my coat pocket (so not in the clear bag) on EMA-SXF the other week and it wasn't picked up.

BAguy

Stratofish

Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:50 pm

I am unsure if your sentence is lost in translation or not. Surely the work of the UK Security Services along with those in the US, Canada, Australia and NZ (with whom we share intelligence, note very little is shared with our European allies) should be commended in this situation rather than highlighted as being an annoyance to travellers. Yes it is annoying but I for one am glad that the plot was discovered by the Security Services.

Unfortunately I am not sure if I can share my source but it was right after said (possibly although not probably alleged) plot that UK authorities wanted to ban all hand luggage altogether and the liquid ban was a compromise reached at a semi secret, high level UK-EU meeting.
The Metro might be the Sub(optimal)way

dstc47

Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:48 am

I fear it may be some time before this little goldmine allowing airports to sell water and booze, usually for far more than groundside prices, will end. A lot of vested interests here probably like the status quo, whatever the "security" case for it.

It is still just amazing to see how much stuff is picked up even though this ban has been in effect for some considerable time. Marmalade, fancy jams, cosmetics etc as well as water and booze.

brianw999

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:17 am

Quoting 747438 (Reply 7):
Quoting BlatantEcho (Reply 6):

I look forward to meeting you at LHR .

BTW...this is what 747438 will look like when he meets you....

eurowings

Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:18 am

Quoting koruman (Reply 18):
would suggest that you read

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/17/flying_toilet_terror_labs/

Essentially, the "liquid menace" has never made the slightest chemical sense, and any ban should have extended to baggage in the hold if it was intended to reduce risk.

Then again, if the actual intent was to raise fears of terrorism and to ensure ongoing acquisition of "security" products, there was no need to implement a ban which actually made any sense.

Read what transpired later, it's crucial: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/10/liquid_bomb_verdicts/

[Edited 2012-04-09 04:21:30]
"Freddie Laker may be at peace with his Maker, but he is persona non grata with IATA."- HRH Duke of Edinburgh

r2rho

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:48 pm

The ban isn't really being removed, nor is the paranoia going away. Rather, it is simply the burden on the passengers that will be removed... by installing new scanners that are only produced by 1-2 well known security companies and will cost billions to install at all airports. Hardly an improvement in the global scheme, but the pax will have an easier time through security while wondering why their airport fees suddenly went up.

GT4EZY

Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:07 pm

The regulation surrounding liquids doesn't really bother me. It's not ultra convenient in anyway but sensible packing allows a few days away with liquids in carry on luggage. I work with regulation and it works fine. I don't try to fight the system which, no offence intended, many Americans here seem to do. A plot was foiled, it was proved blowing up an aircraft was possible and so that was fine with me. The probability of such an occurance/threat maybe debatable but like I said, I don't really have a bee in my bonnet about it.
Proud to fly from Manchester!

ckfred

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:05 pm

There used to be a show on the U.S. cable channel Discovery called Future Weapons, hosted by a former member of the U.S. Navy SEALS.

They demonstrated the x-ray machine that could also determine if a liquid was safe to take aboard an aircraft. It was so good that it could determine if a beverage was regular or diet (cola, lemon-line, lemonade, iced tea, etc.), and it worked with metal, plastic, and glass containers, clear and opaque.

According to the person from the manufacturer, TSA had bought a number of these, and the Chinese government had used a number of the machines for checking spectators at the Beijing Olympics.

So, the quesiton is why hasn't TSA deployed the machines?

usairways85

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:24 pm

Quoting timf (Reply 5):
I've started to do this on a regular basis and have never been questioned about it. I still make sure they are under 3 oz and in their own bag, but I just leave it inside my laptop bag (which is also the kind that doesn't require you to take out your computer) and they don't seem to care.
Quoting panam330 (Reply 14):
I've never put them in a clear plastic bag, and I've never taken them out of my carry-on bag for screening. Never been stopped, questioned, etc. Good to see my tax dollars have trained them appropriately.

Between the Spring of '10 and the Dec '11 I went through security probably 125 times. I never took my liquids out and only 3 times was I ever stopped and told that they should be taken out. In the first 3 months of '12 I've gone through security ~15 times and all but 2 or 3 times they called me out for a bag check because my liquids were still in my bag. This was at BDL and 3 different terminals at PHL.

kordcj

Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:40 pm

I have never had anyone point out that my liquids weren't in a ziplock except at YVR. That happened to be within a day or two of when the underwear bomber caused all that ruckus. The US had implemented the ridiculus ban of no carryons for international flights. My laptop didn't survive the brutality of CO's baggage handlers on the trip home.
The most obvious proof for intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.

bennett123

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:38 pm

Did you put it in the hold?.

koruman

Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:17 am

Even "Eurowings'" article actually makes a better argument for banning cellphones, laptops and batteries from carry-on rather than liquids.

F9Fan

Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:02 am

I forgot to remove my bag at CLE once, and it was never noticed. I don't have too much of a problem with the restrictions since packing that way is a good idea IMHO. That said, the TSA agents at CAK must get bored. They made my wife throw away a half-used 4 oz tube of toothpaste, and the hastle I went through at that airport while traveling with my wife and 6 month old daughter last Christmas was a nightmare. I thought getting the formula in the sealed cans would speed the process. Boy, was I WRONG! The agent said since they couldn't open the cans to inspect the liquid, one of us in our party had to get an "extra special" (my term) screening which involved a full body pat-down and a complete inspection of all my carry-on luggage. What a mess.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos