Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

christopherwoo
Topic Author

Video: Jet Blast Vs Girl - Ouch

Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:41 pm

Haven't seen this posted before but shows the danger that can exist on this famous beach. All I can say is ouch....

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=31b_1333901432

Dublinspotter

RE: Video: Jet Blast Vs Girl - Ouch

Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:44 pm

Quoting christopherwoo (Thread starter):
All I can say is ouch....

I agree!!

Looked very sore!!!

was that like a flood barrier she hit??
Dublinspotter

PC12Fan

Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:44 pm

Ouch indeed.   
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

rg787

Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:47 pm

It's a concrete thing... it sure did a lot of damage on her. I think that second fence is new, I don't remember it being there in february

WestJet747

Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:04 pm

That must have hurt like hell...but I don't feel all that bad for her. There's at least one sign on the fence at the end of the runway that says it is to get in the way of the jet blast. From the video it appears it is no accident that she got blasted. I hope she wasn't too badly hurt though.
Flying refined.

n6238p

Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:11 pm

Well even though going to SXM may be every a.nutters wet dream, mine came running to help at the end of the video. Score of 9.5/10 only because the fence girl didn't smile at the judges during the dismount.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

EK413

Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:25 pm

Not saying she deserved it but she should've read the signs... Hope she recovered...

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

LV

Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:42 pm

That was only an A320... imagine if it had been a 747

maxamuus

Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:52 pm

Ouch! That had to smart!

Metjetceo

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:06 am

If you go to the end of the video, they also have an awesome photo of takeoffs going the opposite direction of the normal traffic on the runway.

On a seperate note, my 8 year old says that next year we are going on a cruise and "riding the fence".

N62NA

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:20 am

I'm surprised they don't build at least a very modest height deflector just inside the airport fence, something to angle the jet blast upwards a bit.

beau222

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:35 am

It did look like a big run up before breaks released, but no pity here the signs actually say you can DIE from the blast.

Metjetceo

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:35 am

Not that I would ever say people put money over safety, but I think that beach is a HUGE draw for the island.

CrossChecked

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:42 am

Quoting N62NA (Reply 10):
I'm surprised they don't build at least a very modest height deflector just inside the airport fence, something to angle the jet blast upwards a bit.

Why should we adapt our airports to accommodate idiots?
Cabin crew, doors to manual and cross check.

WestJet747

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:45 am

I think it could pose a safety risk as well. For whatever reason, if an aircraft cam in too shallow, it would be far less dangerous to clip the fence than it would to clip a deflector. But as metjetCEO put it...

Quoting metjetCEO (Reply 12):
Not that I would ever say people put money over safety, but I think that beach is a HUGE draw for the island.

This is probably the bigger reason!
Flying refined.

777ord

Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:59 am

If SXM put up a fence deflector of some sort, it'd TOTALLY be like Las Vegas cutting back on the freeze booze while gambling or turning the lights off on the strip after 2am. SXM I doubt will never get rid of that feature of it. Phillipsbourg on the other hand..... Kinda lame with all its jewelry shops.

I feel bad she got injured, but I do not feel bad that she completely ignored the warnings.

And yes, the view at the end of someone rushing to help made it all worth it!!!

N62NA

Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:14 am

One other point - those engines are what, like 20,000 pounds of thrust each? Imagine if a 777 was taking off what it would be like!

Zkpilot

Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:15 am

All I can say is check out 00:44      
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

N766UA

Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:18 am

What a dummy.

I've stood on that exact same fence behind every type of big jet down there, it's really not that difficult to hold on. That's the thing though, if you're going to try it, you have to HOLD ON and commit, not let go when some sand hits you.

Zero sympathy for her. There's a sign every 10 feet that says "extreme bodily injury or death can occur." If you're gunna try it, be ready for what's in store and hold on at all costs.

Jackbr

Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:37 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 18):

What's the experience of standing there like?

virgin747

Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:37 am

I seen this link on Facebook, but never really watched it. Now that I did, it makes me wonder if said pilot has seen the link. I wonder what his reaction would be.

N766UA

Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:48 am

Quoting Jackbr (Reply 19):
What's the experience of standing there like?

It's fun! It's a hot, sustained, powerful blast of wind, but it's not so strong that you can pick your feet up and fly horizontally or anything.

The hardest part for me was the sand and rocks that get thrown at you, because they come fast. My knuckles were cut up a couple of times (not horribly so, though) from rocks. That's what I think happened to this girl, she probably didn't think it through, panicked when she got blasted by sand, and tried to bail. Alas, she wasn't smart enough to realize she was standing in JETBLAST and that wouldn't be prudent.

It's and outstanding way to dry off after coming out of the water, though, I must say. No towel required; instantly dry!

JETPILOT

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:19 am

The Jetblue captain decided to use the displaced threshold to take off from which according to regs is not to be used for takeoffs and landings. He also went to TO power while still holding the brakes which is not SOP. He did it to give the people a show. If he had taken off from the end of the runway like he should have the jet blast would have been much less severe and she probably would have been able to keep her footing.

andrefranca

Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:41 am

on my case it was a AA 757, it launched a stone against my right hand holding the fence, result: 3 days of intense pain LOL 

Max Q

Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:27 am

Quoting jetpilot (Reply 22):

The Jetblue captain decided to use the displaced threshold to take off from which according to regs is not to be used for takeoffs and landings. He also went to TO power while still holding the brakes which is not SOP. He did it to give the people a show. If he had taken off from the end of the runway like he should have the jet blast would have been much less severe and she probably would have been able to keep her footing.

Agree, that was very irresponsible, to hurt someone just to put on a show is unforgivable.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

DocLightning

Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:33 am

The Jetblue captain decided to use the displaced threshold to take off

Do you think he will get in trouble? The date is 4/4/12 and the aircraft is "Blue Sapphire." Shouldn't be too hard for someone in a position to take action to find out about it.

I thought it looked as if the tailcone was awfully near the beach.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

JETPILOT

Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:50 am

He won't get in trouble for hurting the girl. I mean it's clearly marked "DANGER JET BLAST" But he could get violated from the FAA for not using Jetblue standard operating procedures. The captain is responsible for operating the aircraft according to the company procedures or the FAA regs whichever is more restrictive. Jetblue doesn't need the bad publicity now as one of it's pilots went nuts only last week. I'm sure Jetblue wants it's pilots to operate with the highest standards of professionalism. I have never or would never takeoff from a displaced threshold. It's not designed to support the weight of the aircraft.

Reggaebird

Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:55 am

When riding the fence the most important thing to know is that you should NEVER let go. She let go and ran and that's what happened to her.

Here is a video of me riding the fence behind a Boeing 747: I am the guy in the grey pant and black shirt at the fence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN5kv...o2BEdw&index=52&feature=plpp_video

Reggaebird

Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:58 am

Quoting Reggaebird (Reply 27):
When riding the fence the most important thing to know is that you should NEVER let go.

However, if you do let go, here is the proper way to run away: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyjN0NhPOVc

Max Q

Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:02 am

Quoting jetpilot (Reply 26):

He won't get in trouble for hurting the girl. I mean it's clearly marked "DANGER JET BLAST" But he could get violated from the FAA for not using Jetblue standard operating procedures. The captain is responsible for operating the aircraft according to the company procedures or the FAA regs whichever is more restrictive. Jetblue doesn't need the bad publicity now as one of it's pilots went nuts only last week. I'm sure Jetblue wants it's pilots to operate with the highest standards of professionalism

Not so sure he won't get in trouble. I hope he does, in fact, I think at a minimum he should have a certificate suspension.

Quoting jetpilot (Reply 26):
It's not designed to support the weight of the aircraft.

Wadrs that's not strictly correct, it is designed to take the weight of a taxiing Aircraft, just not one that is landing.

It is usually displaced for a reason, in this case to avoid precisely this kind of jet blast incident and to ensure that landing Aircraft do not have an issue with obstacle clearance by approaching too low.

GGg

JETPILOT

Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:16 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 29):
Not so sure he won't get in trouble. I hope he does, in fact, I think at a minimum he should have a certificate suspension.

I didn't say he won't get in trouble. He clearly violated SOP.

Max Q

Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:38 am

Quoting jetpilot (Reply 30):
I didn't say he won't get in trouble. He clearly violated SOP.

He sure did JP.

IMHO he was a real idiot, hurting anyone, for the sake of showing off is as bad as it gets.

GGg

Reggaebird

Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:52 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 31):
IMHO he was a real idiot, hurting anyone, for the sake of showing off is as bad as it gets.

Isn't there something to be said for an individual's responsibility for their own safety? I don't think the proximity of the aircraft made any difference he. The fact is that the young lady let go, turned and ran without watching her step. Mind you, I am not saying that she deserved her injuries but she does, at least, share a large bit of the responsibility.

Max Q

Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:05 am

Quoting Reggaebird (Reply 32):

Isn't there something to be said for an individual's responsibility for their own safety? I don't think the proximity of the aircraft made any difference he. The fact is that the young lady let go, turned and ran without watching her step. Mind you, I am not saying that she deserved her injuries but she does, at least, share a large bit of the responsibility.

You are correct, she should have been more careful but if the J Blue Pilot had taxied forward to the point on the runway you are required to reach before applying take off thrust the jet blast effect would have been far less pronounced and she would not have been nearly as badly affected.

The irresponsible part here was the J B Pilot, he deliberately disregarded SOP as JP has pointed out, these procedures were written to avoid this precise issue.

He had no valid reason to do this.

GGg

JETPILOT

Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:47 am

Actually..... I made a mistake it's not a displaced threshold. It's even worse. I checked the video again. It's a blast pad marked with yellow chevrons. The yellow chevrons indicate that it's not for use for any reason. It's actually there to give a buffer zone to whatever is behind the jet from the jet blast. A displaced threshold can be used for takeoff but not landing.... Sorry about the confusion. I'm tired.

Tbone354

Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:51 am

Why is this the pilot's fault? That woman does not seem to have the sense God gave an end table. What combo of drugs and alcohol would one have to drink to stand that close to the hot end of two full throttle jet engines? She deserves whatever she got. Maybe next she will try tying a rubber band to her ankle and jumping off a bridge? You know, bungee jumping. That's a good idea too.

Silver1SWA

Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:54 am

Displaced thresholds can be used for takeoff but not for landing. As noted in the post above, the area in question in the video is something different, an overrun/blast pad area not to be used for taxi, takeoff or landing.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

YXwatcherMKE

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:47 am

Well I hope her injury is minor, however, I would bet that she has a head injury and a concussion. And that can be bad for the person years down the road. I live with a person (my wife) that had a concussion back in 1992. She now has short term memory loss, can get lost going to the story 2 miles away. needs to write everything down that she needs to do the next day or she will not remember to do it. She can't be left alone at all, not able to work any longer and at one point in her life, before her injury, she was able to multi-task 4 different things at once and hear someone ask a question 30 feet away and give an answer with out losing a beat of the phone conversation she is having while typing on the computer and having a conversation with a person across her desk. She was a district manager with national honers and a member of two different national steering committees. So even though she may look okay in the video at the end, you can't see inside the head to see what is going on in the brain.
As much as as I see it, as much as fun it can be to stand at the fence when the a/c power up and see if you can make it to the end. Is it worth it, It only a few seconds of fun but if you lose its a life time of hell for you and your family.
I miss the 60's & 70's when you felt like a guest on the plane not cattle like today

kl692

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:49 am

Quoting LV (Reply 7):
That was only an A320... imagine if it had been a 747

I was thinking the same thing too. Feel sorry for but you know what, she was asking for it because she knew what could happen. Even though CYYZ have things in place to prevent jet blast, sometimes you still feel it.
A310, A330,A346,B73H, B747,B772,B77W,CRJ

mandala499

Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:21 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 18):
Zero sympathy for her. There's a sign every 10 feet that says "extreme bodily injury or death can occur." If you're gunna try it, be ready for what's in store and hold on at all costs.

Has anyone tried to sue the local council on that one? *probably someone tried, and failed?*

I smell lawsuit !   
I can just imagine... "He was too close to the fence when he took off so the blast was stronger than it normally is, so I couldn't hang on! I was expecting a thrill, not a mishap due to his recklessness. Had he started the take off from the normal position, I would have had my thrill and no mishap."   

Quoting Reggaebird (Reply 28):
However, if you do let go, here is the proper way to run away:

LOL! And he still had time to look if there was a car coming at him... and turned off the jetblast path when he could.
Smart fence-rider... not fun!   

Quoting jetpilot (Reply 34):
The yellow chevrons indicate that it's not for use for any reason. It's actually there to give a buffer zone to whatever is behind the jet from the jet blast.

The overrun area (yellow chevrons) is paved but not for taxi, take off or landing as overrun areas are not maintained to the same level and are does not have to be as strong as a taxiway/apron. It is there to provide additional paved surface to use in case of a rejected take off, paved so that it provides consistent braking capability for the aircraft... and are often softer... (where I am, they're usually damn soft to "trap" the unfortunate overruner at low speed).
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

CrimsonNL

Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:31 am

I don't think this is nessecary. The pilot disobeing the proper procedures is one thing, but noone forced the girl (at least I think that's safe to assume) to stand there. It's her own fault and noone but herself should be blamed for this.

I'm personally getting sick and tired of the authorities having to protect people from their own stupidity by placing fences, barriers and warning signs at every spot that's remotely dangerous. Common sense is something thats not found in a lot of people anymore, and all this pampering of stupid people in modern society isn't helping.

Martijn
Always comparing your flown types list with mine

CX Flyboy

Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:44 am

Some aircraft have procedures in case of problems with bleed systems of standing on the brakes prior to takeoff, increasing to a high thrust setting to cycle certain switches and valves and only then releasing the brakes. I did this the other day in my 777.
Not saying the Jetblue pilots had to do this but we simply do not know, so it is best not to jump to conclusions in saying the captain was wrong in adding thrust the way he/she did.

yeelep

Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:51 am

I don't think the main issue is the high thrust setting prior to brake release, its where he or she is doing it.

brianw999

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:00 am

Quoting EK413 (Reply 6):
Not saying she deserved it but she should've read the signs... Hope she recovered...

She deserved everything she got....and more. Yes, I hope she recovered... but with a suitable level of scarring to remind her of her stupidity ....... it is this very kind of stupidity that will get the beach and road closed or a huge blast shield erected thus spoiling the airport photography for those whose brain cells are actually connected and functioning.

One thing I don't feel for her is one single iota of sympathy.

shufflemoomin

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:04 am

Not even an ounce of sympathy. Most of us have seen the warning signs on the fences making it very clear what dangers doing this poses. They chose to ignore those and someone got hurt. Entirely their own fault. Maybe next time they'll learn that warning signs are there for a reason. If idiots like this keep ignoring the warnings, you all know what will happen. Eventually this beach will be closed to the public and we'll lose one of the world's great spotting areas.

Max Q

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:48 am

Quoting jetpilot (Reply 34):

Actually..... I made a mistake it's not a displaced threshold. It's even worse. I checked the video again. It's a blast pad marked with yellow chevrons. The yellow chevrons indicate that it's not for use for any reason. It's actually there to give a buffer zone to whatever is behind the jet from the jet blast. A displaced threshold can be used for takeoff but not landing.... Sorry about the confusion. I'm tired.

Even more reason why this Pilot should be held accountable for his or her irresponsibility.

Quoting YXwatcherMKE (Reply 37):
Well I hope her injury is minor, however, I would bet that she has a head injury and a concussion. And that can be bad for the person years down the road. I live with a person (my wife) that had a concussion back in 1992. She now has short term memory loss, can get lost going to the story 2 miles away. needs to write everything down that she needs to do the next day or she will not remember to do it. She can't be left alone at all, not able to work any longer and at one point in her life, before her injury, she was able to multi-task 4 different things at once and hear someone ask a question 30 feet away and give an answer with out losing a beat of the phone conversation she is having while typing on the computer and having a conversation with a person across her desk. She was a district manager with national honers and a member of two different national steering committees. So even though she may look okay in the video at the end, you can't see inside the head to see what is going on in the brain.
As much as as I see it, as much as fun it can be to stand at the fence when the a/c power up and see if you can make it to the end. Is it worth it, It only a few seconds of fun but if you lose its a life time of hell for you and your family.

Very sorry for you and your Wife YX. I wish you both all the best.

Quoting kl692 (Reply 38):
she was asking for it
Quoting brianw999 (Reply 43):
She deserved everything she got....and more.
Quoting shufflemoomin (Reply 44):
Not even an ounce of sympathy.

Very compassionate.

This woman was badly hurt simply because she wanted to watch an Aircraft close up, she was injured because this idiotic Pilot positioned his Aircraft hundreds of feet closer to her location than authorized , in fact operation of the Aircraft was prohibited in this area, he aggravated the problem by needlessly holding power against the brakes.

If he had rolled forward to the correct spot then applied power the resultant jet blast would not have been nearly as severe and she would not have been hurt.

He operated his Aircraft carelessly and recklessly and hurt someone as a result, unforgivable.

[Edited 2012-04-09 02:55:18]

[Edited 2012-04-09 02:56:28]

GGg

smittyone

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:09 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 45):
He operated his Aircraft carelessly and recklessly and hurt someone as a result, unforgivable.

Agree, if he intentionally blasted those people. But...

Could he have genuinely been concerned about getting the longest possible runway length to avoid the hills at the end? High density altitude/heavy flight?

Using a blast pad (clearly unauthorized) seems like a foolhardy thing to do if you're just showing off. Especially on the most video'd runway on Earth.

B2468

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:25 am

How hot is the jet blast coming out of those engines? I figure it can't be too hot, since the folks "riding the fence" don't seem to get burned, but what kinds of temps are we talking about here?
CNC/DH4/ERJ/306/310/319/320/332/333/343/346/388/72S/731/732/733/734/73G/738/741/744/74E/752/762/763/77E/77W/D95/D1C/M82

JOYA380B747

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:31 am

One question, what's wrong with taking off from the other side of the runway i.e R 28 instead?
India's biggest loss w.r.t global aviation (so far) - Being an Australasia-Europe stopover.

Max Q

Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:40 am

Quoting SmittyOne (Reply 46):

Could he have genuinely been concerned about getting the longest possible runway length to avoid the hills at the end? High density altitude/heavy flight?

It doesn't matter.

It is prohibited to operate any Aircraft in that area.

It is not usable runway for performance planning.

He illegally taxied on to this area placing the tail of the Aircraft much, much closer to the adjacent beach than airport authorities allow and applied take off thrust while static.

By this irresponsible, unauthorized and illegal action he maximised the effect of the jet efflux and potential injury to people on the beach.

As a result, an innocent spectator was badly hurt, it is fortunate no one was killed.

GGg

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos