tommy767
Topic Author

RE: UA To Start SFO-RDU On 8/15

Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:35 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 23):

Technically DL's RDU-LAX is "seasonal" so it is what it is -- daily in the summer.

Quoting boeing71234567 (Reply 45):

Great addition to RDU! but personally I would like to see something like SFO-BDL. I would assume there is a bigger market in the northeast, rather than RDU.

They tried this once pre-9/11. It bombed. Back then UA flew SFO to MIA, BDL, and ATL all of which have since been dropped.

Quoting FSDan (Reply 48):
WN already flies DEN-RDU. That probably dampens UA's prospects on that route.

I could still see DEN-RDU on a E170 or a CR7.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

cessna2

Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:58 pm

I looked up one of the old press releases from RDU Airport Authority about the top ten destinations for Mainline and Regional destinations feasible for daily service they are as follows. (From Winter of 2011)

"The study determined that the following cities should be priorities for the airport to establish mainline (large) jet service.

San Francisco
San Diego
Los Angeles
Kansas City
San Juan
Seattle
Fort Myers, Fla.
New Orleans
Salt Lake City
Portland

The following cities were identified as priorities for the establishment of regional (small) jet service:

San Juan
Kansas City
West Palm Beach, Fla.
Fort Myers
Buffalo
New Orleans
Albany
San Antonio/Austin
Omaha
Syracuse

International Service
In evaluating the development of additional non-stop international service from RDU, the study determined that in order for a route to be successful, it would require service to a city that would allow for connections to additional destinations.

The study noted that it is feasible for RDU to pursue the establishment of an additional transatlantic gateway through Paris, Frankfurt or Munich. These would need to be developed in conjunction with one of the major air carrier alliances, such as SkyTeam or Star Alliance.

Another possible region for international service is the Caribbean. San Juan, though part of the United States, could provide a strong gateway for Caribbean connections. Additional service to Cancun or Punta Cana was determined as feasible."

It will be interesting to see how many of these destinations actually come to frutation.

JaxMan19

Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:04 pm

Quoting cessna2 (Reply 51):
The following cities were identified as priorities for the establishment of regional (small) jet service:

Shouldn't JAX be added to that list, I mean through the past they've had Midway, AE and Expressjet....Theres definetly a market for JAX-RDU

Flytravel

Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:50 pm

Quoting FSDan (Reply 48):

WN already flies DEN-RDU. That probably dampens UA's prospects on that route.

It's only 1x daily on WN. If UA wanted to build more of a UA FF base in RDU, a flight to the DEN hub might make sense. WN hasn't expanded at RDU also, so I wonder where the RDU loyalty is or if it is just split depending on where one is flying. RDU used to be a gateway to the Southeast on WN and WN could have dominated here, but other cities have grown while it didn't and RDU but is falling more on the lines of just another Southeast city on the WN route map.

Flytravel

Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:31 pm

Quoting chopchop767 (Reply 40):
I would think UA's massive FF base in the Bay Area would sustain the service even if DL has more flights. Especially, on a route of that length, FF are willing to pay more to fly with their carrier of choice and accrue those miles.
FL flies the route also. Even though FL didn't have a FF base in SF, FL probably offered low enough fares that UA might have figured would it wouldn't just but DL but an LCC with low fares where they would have to compete on fares to some extent. Maybe with WN de-emphasizing ATL from FL, and maybe reducing overall SFO-ATL flights and fares increasing on WN metal, there could be room but then maybe VX would jump on the route. From the Bay Area, DL also offers SJC-ATL although just 1x, so the Bay area residing traveler gets service to ATL from another airport (that maybe more convenient for those near San Jose) as well.

[Edited 2012-04-12 14:32:11]

Womack17

Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:45 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 11):

I'm stupefied by Harry Potter! Awesomeness!!!!!!!!!

Me too my friend. We have been trying to convince airlines and its enthusiasts that RDU-SFO is a nonstop that is long overdue. This is simply fantastic news. Going to book my seat on that first day round trip. Can't believe RDU is finally getting some well-deserved love.

Kudos to the Airport Authority and the State of North Carolina
Oh how I miss Midway Airlines. A class act right to then end.

cessna2

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:45 am

Quoting Flytravel (Reply 53):
WN hasn't expanded at RDU also, so I wonder where the RDU loyalty is or if it is just split depending on where one is flying. RDU used to be a gateway to the Southeast on WN and WN could have dominated here, but other cities have grown while it didn't and RDU but is falling more on the lines of just another Southeast city on the WN route map.

WN came in at the wrong time. AA still had a big FF base in RDU due to the fact that Midway's FF program was through AA. After AA wound down RDU, DL stepped up and took as much market share as they could. So all in all the big FF base goes to DL but on the other hand WN carries the most passengers through RDU. So to say WN hasn't expanded could be argued. Also wait till after T1 is remodeled...its been repeatedly said WN plans an expansion once they are able to get their hands on more gates.

tommy767
Topic Author

Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:07 pm

Quoting Gman3 (Reply 32):
I also noticed DEN ATL flights in our trip patterns for May.. Finally.... I always amazed we downgraded that years ago to a regional.

About frigging time! DL was kicking UA's ass on this route for so long. Glad DEN-ATL will be operated with 1x 320.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

casinterest

Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:08 pm

Quoting cessna2 (Reply 56):
its been repeatedly said WN plans an expansion once they are able to get their hands on more gates.

They are adding Houston, and technically they get ATL once all the mess with the computers is cleaned up. RDU is still growing, and I think now that the big mergers are cleaned up, there will be more route expansions out of it.

I still find it funny that i usually have to get on an A321 for a flight to Charlotte or a 757 for Atlanta. There are plenty of route possibilites out there.

I am kind of amazed though that Delta hasn't restarted the SLC route yet.
Where ever you go, there you are.

bjorn14

Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:15 pm

Quoting drerx7 (Reply 16):
Hollywood entertainment connections make this work.

I remember when AA was drawing down their BNA hub that the C&W community begged AA to keep this route...even some minor protests IIRC.

Quoting CV880 (Reply 42):
RDU's only chance for more TATL is DL.

Does AA still fly RDU-LHR?
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:36 pm

With the 319 now one would think RDU-SLC would make sense. WithUA also not flying to denver maybe there is just little demand to those connections to the smaller rocky mountain cities? Also one thing to consider is that DL has some limitations and shortages of mainline gates during the two peak rushes at SLC. The new terminals are suppose to alleviate deltas gate issues to have more gates that can handle maineline and the larger regional jets so we might see some cities like RDU, BDL, MKE, and FLL come back. Delta has had to make some choices because of gate limitations

tommy767
Topic Author

Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:39 pm

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 60):

I think UA can do RDU-DEN with an E170 but they may not want to take the risk right now. Don't forget, UA does fly mainline between RDU-IAD (mainly A320s) so once in IAD, anybody can connect to the destinations with ease.

The fact that IAD-RDU gets mainline and IAD-ATL doesn't says a lot.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

BoeingGuy

Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:50 pm

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 59):
Does AA still fly RDU-LHR?

Yes, now on a 763. As I understand it, the route is subsidized. This one remains after AA gutted RDU. Unfortunately, SJC-NRT did not survive.

ERJ170

Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:20 pm

I do believe there are subsidies available but if I read correctly up here, RDU-LHR doesn't actually use the subsidies.... And it's still a profitable route...
Aiming High and going far..

cessna2

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:25 pm

Quoting casinterest (Reply 58):
They are adding Houston, and technically they get ATL once all the mess with the computers is cleaned up. RDU is still growing, and I think now that the big mergers are cleaned up, there will be more route expansions out of it.

This is true however don't expect much more till T1 is renovated. WN averages about 7 flights a day per gate and at peak travel season they have about 33 flights a day from RDU using 4 gates. Once FL is integrated they may be able to open up a few more destinations with that 5th gate but I expect them to take on a 6th gate as soon as they can.

[Edited 2012-04-13 14:12:08]

FSDan

Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:17 am

Quoting TOMMY767 (Reply 57):
DL was kicking UA's ass on this route for so long.

With 9 daily mainline flights vs 2 E-Jets and 1 Airbus, they still are. But that is the case for almost every route out of ATL  .
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:48 am

Quoting TOMMY767 (Reply 61):
I think UA can do RDU-DEN with an E170 but they may not want to take the risk right now. Don't forget, UA does fly mainline between RDU-IAD (mainly A320s) so once in IAD, anybody can connect to the destinations with ease.The fact that IAD-RDU gets mainline and IAD-ATL doesn't says a lot.

Geography is probably the reason though. ATL is significanlty more south and west than RDU so many less options are realistic thru IAD that can work from RDU. For example RDU-IAD-Cali/LAS/SLC/PHX etc etc are not too bad a routing but ATL-IAD-those cities and others is much less ideal and the connection options thru IAD are more limited because of geography.

ERJ170

Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:26 pm

When will the flights be bootable? I don't see city pair on the route map and I can't book it yet either!

Womack17

Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:27 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 67):
When will the flights be bootable? I don't see city pair on the route map and I can't book it yet either!

First of all - Happy 8th Anniversary today my friend. Mine was back in April.

I booked through Kayak.com and will be filing a detailed trip report for all to peruse

RDU-SFO/2012-08-15/2012-08-15" target="_blank">http://www.kayak.com/#/flights/RDU-SFO/2012-08-15/2012-08-15

$396
United
RDU 7:10a → SFO 9:56a 5h 46m nonstop
SFO 1:00p → RDU 9:10p 5h 10m nonstop
Economy
Details

United $396
DetailsFares
Depart Wed, Aug 15 RDU to SFO – nonstop 5h 46m
United – Flight 138 5h 46m
Take-off Wed 7:10a RDU Raleigh, NC
Landing Wed 9:56a SFO San Francisco, CA
Economy | Boeing 737-800 (Narrow-body Jet) | 5h 46m | 2394 miles | Fare code: LA14KN | 9+ seats remain

Return Wed, Aug 15 SFO to RDU – nonstop 5h 10m
United – Flight 140 5h 10m
Take-off Wed 1:00p SFO San Francisco, CA
Landing Wed 9:10p RDU Raleigh, NC
Economy | Boeing 737-800 (Narrow-body Jet) | 5h 10m | 2394 miles | Fare code: LA14KN | 9+ seats remain

Hope to see ya on the flight

-Womack17

[Edited 2012-04-15 11:31:47]

cessna2

Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:30 pm

Yea its bookable...im thinking bout doing this as a Birthday gift to myself! Sure would be fun!

ERJ170

Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:27 pm

Thn for real, I'm crazy. I put it in for aug 17 and get an error message... On united.com

cessna2

Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:54 pm

Just looked on the site and it works fine for me!

Womack17

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:04 am

Its available for booking through all major travel sites ie) Travelocity, Expedia, Kayak and its also available on United.com for every date I checked after Aug. 15. I am going on the inaugural flights round trip on the same day. Thinking about upgrading to first which is 1839.00 if you book on United.

southwest737500

Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:07 am

Quoting threeifbyair (Reply 13):

You would see CLT SEA on AS way before RDU
Next flight: TUL-ATL-CLT CRJ900 and MD88

delta2ual

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:19 pm

Quoting cessna2 (Reply 51):
San Juan, though part of the United States, could provide a strong gateway for Caribbean connections.

Maybe B6 could start San-Juan to connect to their mini hub there?
From the world's largest airline-to the world's largest airline. Delta2ual

strfyr51

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:39 pm

Quoting FSDan (Reply 38):

This and the SFO-AUS route make the tech connections Complete But! I would have thought American would have flown the Route First! Didn't they have a Large operation @ RDU?? I mean they built a pretty good sized operation at SJC in the HEART of "Silicon Valley". Seems to me this connection would have made our flight a MOOT POINT!! I haven't kept abreast of American's competition I'm afraid with living through our OWN Trials and Tribulations at United.

cessna2

Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:46 pm

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 75):
This and the SFO-AUS route make the tech connections Complete But! I would have thought American would have flown the Route First! Didn't they have a Large operation @ RDU?? I mean they built a pretty good sized operation at SJC in the HEART of "Silicon Valley". Seems to me this connection would have made our flight a MOOT POINT!! I haven't kept abreast of American's competition I'm afraid with living through our OWN Trials and Tribulations at United.

AA operated a hub at RDU from about 85-95/96 before downgrading to a focus city. Over the past couple of years they really dropped RDU off their map and DL has stepped up. AA in my opinion really dropped the ball because they have no presence on the east coast besides JFK and MIA. If RDU could get back AUS and SJU we'd be set with Bio-tech hubs and more businesses would place headquarters and R&D centers here.

ERJ170

Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:29 am

Two more questions...

1. I want to confirm United has officially dropped RDU-CUN Sat service, right? Has DL dropped it too?

2. Is there any other station, other than Den, that UA could add RDU?

cessna2

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:08 pm

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 77):
1. I want to confirm United has officially dropped RDU-CUN Sat service, right? Has DL dropped it too?
Not sure if they have or not...I know it was seasonal for UA and DL so I guess we'll find out starting soon.

2. Is there any other station, other than Den, that UA could add RDU?

UA doesn't have enough presence in RDU to serve anything else except DEN. They pulled out of DEN because WN entered the market. So i'd say its a long shot for them to bring back that service again being the reason WN is the biggest player in RDU whereas UA is towards the bottom. I wanna say its WN, DL, AA, US, UA, FL. US may be ahead of AA now but not sure.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos