Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

styles9002

RE: Qatar Airways To Launch ATL, ORD, BOS With 787s

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Quoting BOStonsox (Reply 49):
According to a Massport presentation I found online, these are the numbers for BOS-Asia:

BOS-NRT: 186 PDEW
BOS-TLV: 158 PDEW
BOS-PDG: 122 PDEW
BOS-ICN: 119 PDEW
BOS-PEK: 108 PDEW
BOS-HKG: 108 PDEW
BOS-BOM: 85 PDEW

Going by these numbers, I think someone is bound to launch BOS-China sooner or later, though MU would need the 787 in order to do so. BOS-India will be a little harder. These numbers make BOS-TLV seem more promising.

These numbers are interesting but without some guidance on what yields can be expected they don't give a complete picture.

As for TLV, El Al used to fly to Boston years ago but abandoned the route.

N62NA

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:20 pm

Quoting washingtonian (Reply 43):
But the fact remains that for decades now, almost every airline chooses to deploy their most prestigious products to JFK. Now you can think this is an irrational decision by free-market airlines for decades now (as you suggest) or you can think there is an actual, real reason for it. Take your pick.

Yep, I made this point just yesterday re: the "refurbished" BA 767s now on EWR-LHR and how you would NEVER see BA put this "2nd class" hard product on JFK-LHR. Nonetheless, it is exciting to see QR coming to EWR!

pnd100

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Quoting washingtonian (Reply 43):
Quoting pnd100 (Reply 42):
There is definitely a "prestige" element to JFK even though demographics & location suggest that EWR is a better choice for many foreign airlines.

Demographics and location do not suggest such a thing. I'm not one to think that JFK is VASTLY superior to EWR; they both serve their purposes and there is a need for both. Both are more or less equally (in)convenient to get to from Manhattan. But the fact remains that for decades now, almost every airline chooses to deploy their most prestigious products to JFK. Now you can think this is an irrational decision by free-market airlines for decades now (as you suggest) or you can think there is an actual, real reason for it. Take your pick.

Quoting pnd100 (Reply 42):
I'm sure there are other factors as well but I can tell you that worldwide even common people know about JFK airport & I'm sure that cache factors in to the decision.

Yes. JFK is the "main" NYC international airport even though EWR is just as much of an international airport for NYC.

Sorry I wasn't able to express myself properly. I of course understand that JFK is New York's main airport & if I ran an airline I would also send my best product there. What I wanted to convey was that even if a large community of foreign origin is near EWR, the foreign carrier may choose JFK in part due to the prestige & reputation that JFK enjoys. JFK is one of the top 5 prestigious airports in the world. It's not the largest airport even in it's own country but there is definitely "something" about JFK. Every foreign carrier has JFK on their wish list. I was trying to say that EWR cannot compete with JFK on foreign carriers. Even if EWR holds advantages in other areas, foreign carriers would prefer JFK.

I'm not sure if I'm making any sense! I'm gonna get some coffee   

MAH4546

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:31 pm

According to a Massport presentation I found online, these are the numbers for BOS-Asia:

BOS-NRT: 186 PDEW
BOS-TLV: 158 PDEW
BOS-PDG: 122 PDEW
BOS-ICN: 119 PDEW
BOS-PEK: 108 PDEW
BOS-HKG: 108 PDEW
BOS-BOM: 85 PDEW

Going by these numbers, I think someone is bound to launch BOS-China sooner or later, though MU would need the 787 in order to do so. BOS-India will be a little harder. These numbers make BOS-TLV seem more promising.

None of those numbers are remotely near true. Those numbers use "marketing math." BOSTLV is the largest of those markets after BOSNRT, seeing just around 50,000 annual passengers.

Quoting ASFlyer (Reply 40):

No MIA? How odd. I thought there was a large need for travel to the Middle East from Miami.

I'm not surprised at all. It is pretty well known EK has its sights on MIA next year, and like BOS, ATL, etc., these aren't markets that can just suddenly absorb a lot of ME capacity. Airlines are going to pick and chose the smaller markets for now. LAX, ORD, WAS and NYC can handle an onslaught of capacity from all three; other U.S. cities absolutely cannot.

Most importantly, for now, this "announcement" by Qatar is no different than when Turkish "announced" Houston, Miami, Boston and Detroit last year. In both situations, a high-up mentioned some random cities at a press conference and it was reported by a third-party source.

[Edited 2012-04-13 13:40:59]

B747forever

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:39 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 53):
LAX, ORD, WAS and NYC can handle an onslaught of capacity from all three; other U.S. cities absolutely cannot.

And that is why I am surprised that EK is still alone at LAX, now with two daily flights.

Viscount724

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:45 pm

Quoting behramjee (Reply 9):
They used to operate a daily A333 to EWR via GVA in 2006-07.

A332 not A333.

airbazar

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:04 pm

Going by these numbers, I think someone is bound to launch BOS-China sooner or later

For what it's worth, China is Massachusetts' "third-largest export market, trailing Canada and the United Kingdom, and accounting for nearly $1 out of every $10 in merchandise that Massachusetts companies sell overseas."
http://articles.boston.com/2012-04-0...08710_1_china-minhang-global-sales
The A340 may be the right plane for this long and thin route for its cargo uplift and BOS's relatively short runway and humid Summers.

BOStonsox

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:06 pm

None of those numbers are remotely near true. Those numbers use "marketing math." BOSTLV is the largest of those markets after BOSNRT, seeing just around 50,000 annual passengers.

I remembered you saying that about airport's numbers on another thread, but I don't know where to find anything more accurate. While they may boost those numbers up, how far off can they be? At the very least, it shows where Massport's priorities are.

MAH4546

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:22 pm

Quoting BOStonsox (Reply 57):

I remembered you saying that about airport's numbers on another thread, but I don't know where to find anything more accurate. While they may boost those numbers up, how far off can they be? At the very least, it shows where Massport's priorities are.

Very far off. International O&D traffic numbers can be found on private, subscription-only databases. I just looked up some; either the numbers are not accurate in the least bit, or traffic between Boston and those cities took a nosedive between when those numbers are dated and JAN11-DEC11 (very unlikely). BOSHKG is the next biggest at ~40,000 annual passengers.

pnd100

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:18 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 58):

Just out of curiosity which websites are the best for PDEW numbers? If it is against the forum rules to post them here could you please message them to me?

MAH4546

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:34 pm

Quoting pnd100 (Reply 59):

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 58):

Just out of curiosity which websites are the best for PDEW numbers? If it is against the forum rules to post them here could you please message them to me?

There are no public websites listing international O&D. It's pay for, private databases. A few websites, like Routes Online, do use the data and publish it publically in articles. Airlines will also use the data in government filings for routes.

N623JB

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:37 pm

Can anyone answer?................................

chrisnh

Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:12 am

The big value proposition for the 787 was always its ability to open up long & thin routes. So far, it seems as though the foreign flag carriers are using that recipe. Let's see if our own airlines will.

pnd100

Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:15 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 60):
There are no public websites listing international O&D. It's pay for, private databases. A few websites, like Routes Online, do use the data and publish it publically in articles. Airlines will also use the data in government filings for routes.

Yes Sir, I was referring to those, please let me know which private websites you are referring to. I understand subscriptions are required.

phxa340

Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:16 am

You can tell by my username but I am seriously hoping someone / anyone announces European / Asian services via the 787 from PHX. Come on QR !! I think we are just too close to LAX.

MAH4546

Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:30 am

Quoting pnd100 (Reply 63):

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 60):

Yes Sir, I was referring to those, please let me know which private websites you are referring to. I understand subscriptions are required.

Amadeus, ARC and DOB Systems are three of many airline/travel solutions companies that offer such. IATA is another.

pnd100

Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:55 am

Thanks for the information MAH4546

DTWLAX

Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:27 am

Quoting tjwgrr (Reply 14):
ORD and possibly EWR... hmm... one step closer to joining *A?

Just because they start a route to Star hub does not mean they will join Star.

Quoting jonathanxxxx (Reply 21):
If anything this might be catering to the Indian or other Middle Eastern traffic.

I wonder how big a blow that will be for DL and Skyteam. DL/KL/AF serve only BOM, DEL and BLR if I am correct. If Skyteam loses that traffic from DTW to QR with the additional option of flying into secondary cities in India from DOH will be a major blow.

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 27):
Along with NRT (JL), PEK (MU), and DEL (AI), and IST (TK), BOS is getting DOH (QR).

AI is not flying DEL-BOS nonstop anytime soon.

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 30):
I know for a fact that the current plan is that AI will launch DEL-BOS in January 2013, after they launch DEL-MEL in October, although that has not been made public yet, and is still waiting on various government approvals.

AI have had a lot of plans in the past. How may plans actually materialized?
Also wasn't DEL-MEL supposed to start in 2011?

Quoting Irishpower (Reply 35):
Still no west coast destinations! I'm curious-when do we think LAX or SFO might be added?

QR will have stiff competition from EK and TK at LAX and EK at SFO. No wonder they are not really keen on the 2 routes.

Eightball

Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:38 am

I know that LAX would be a more likely destination for QR, but I think that it would be great if QR added an SAN route with the 787. If the route can't support a daily flight, then probably a 3x weekly service would work.

[Edited 2012-04-13 19:05:10]

catiii

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:16 am

One additional point on Atlanta service, there are a few former PMDL executives at Qatar now so I do wonder if that played a role in their starting service.

SANFan

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:29 am

Quoting Eightball (Reply 68):
I know that LAX would be a more likely destination for QR, but I think that it would be great if QR added an SAN route with the 787. If the route can't support a daily flight, then probably a 3x weekly service would work.

Hmmmm, I like the way you think, Eight'! I haven't heard of much interest or priority by the SDIA for nonstop service to the Middle East but that doesn't mean there is none. Once someone starts LAX service, perhaps "the competition" might more seriously think about SAN as an option... Anything's possible!

With what's happened around here in the last few months, nothing would totally surprise me any more. The Dreamliner is truly just that for an airport like SAN!

bb

jreuschl

Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:56 am

Does this put off EK announcing ORD?

Eightball

Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:10 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 70):
The Dreamliner is truly just that for an airport like SAN!

Exactly. By using the 787, carefully planning the route's flight frequency and marketing the route properly, SAN could possibly be a good destination for QR.

For what it's worth, in my last two visits to Jeddah, my route was SAN-IAH-DOH-JED-DOH-IAH-SAN. The flights that were between SAN and IAH were on UA, while the rest of the flights were on QR. Flying on a UA 738 between SAN and IAH is good and IAH is a good airport to transit through, but I'd rather fly straight from SAN to DOH instead of transiting through IAH.

IndianicWorld

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:42 am

The 787 would appear to be a huge game changer for these routes but time will tell.

I still feel that airlines will start many new routes but in the end will rationalise back to a more conventional network in a few years. Even the 787 will struggle to make some markets work I would suspect.

aeroblogger

Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:45 am

Quoting DTWLAX (Reply 67):

AI have had a lot of plans in the past. How may plans actually materialized?
Also wasn't DEL-MEL supposed to start in 2011?

DEL-MEL has been put on hold until the 787 arrives due to lack of a suitable aircraft.

IndianicWorld

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:01 am

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 74):
DEL-MEL has been put on hold until the 787 arrives due to lack of a suitable aircraft.

Even then I have my doubts.

The 6 billion dollar deal with the Indian govt will likely give them some room to move, but AI are still an airline that struggles in just about anything it attempts.

aeroblogger

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:04 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 75):

Even then I have my doubts.

Doubts will be there. I have no problem with people saying "I'll believe it when I see it" - that's a fair attitude when it comes to AI. But writing it off as "it will never happen" is another story...

IndianicWorld

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:07 am

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 76):
Doubts will be there. I have no problem with people saying "I'll believe it when I see it" - that's a fair attitude when it comes to AI. But writing it off as "it will never happen" is another story...

And thats not what I said. It may well happen, but yes, when it happens it happens. No one should hold their breath.

EY460

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:21 am

Is announcing these routes so early a good move for Qatar? I know that it's good for advertising, but they give their competitors time to react. If any of these city is of any interest for EK, they can beat QR in no time. We have seen what happened with EY in Washington.

behramjee

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:32 am

One of the announcements of the year thus far no doubt as this is extremely smart to take advantage of the medium sized B787s and use them on secondary services to USA with exception to ORD which deserves a B77W in the long run. What one finds most interesting is the increase to NYC from daily to triple daily. How this should be handled is the following:

a) JFK should not be increased to triple daily but rather double daily only and the additional daily frequency should be to EWR in order to diversify its reach in the NY market segment. In addition, there are 2 options that QR should consider when it comes to deciding which EU airport to fly via to NYC. # 1 is obviously DOH-BUD-JFK because no airline now flies nonstop to NYC from BUD ever since Malev collapsed and there is a huge un tapped O&D market segment to be tapped here. The B 787 over here is once again the perfectly sized aircraft to cater for this segment and with QR developing a 0200 departure hub wave bank out of Doha airport to the Indian Subcontinent region, KSA, GCC and Far East, the timings of this service would look like this so as not to cannibalize the 0800 departure of the already established nonstop service of QR083 at 0805.

QR XXX Dep DOH 1255 Arr BUD 1730 // QR XXX Dep BUD 1850 Arr JFK 2230
QR XXX Dep JFK 0005 Arr BUD 1450+1 // QR XXX Dep BUD 1620 Arr DOH 2235
*In this way, the current BUD-DOH schedule more or less remains the same!

b) Option 2 involves QR returning to EWR as no GCC carrier + MS/TK operate there thus giving QR back the niche that it once had as the EWR market size to India, Africa and Eastern Europe is mass volume as well and on some routes even bigger than JFK! For this second option, there are two scenarios that should be considered. The easiest option is to revamp the old DOH-GVA-EWR route with a daily B787 product because everyone knows that GVA struggles on a year round basis maintaining 55% S/F on an A332 hence it is now a 4 weekly A319 operated flight of which the premium seat product is below par. By operating a daily B787 with an excellent J and Y product to GVA and onwards to EWR, it definitely shall help increase S/F as the flight is catering to three different market segments versus one only. The schedule for this service would be as follows:

QR XXX Dep DOH 0855 Arr GVA 1435 // QR XXX Dep GVA 1600 Arr EWR 1850
QR XXX Dep EWR 2210 Arr GVA 1010+1 // QR XXX Dep GVA 1140 Arr DOH 1850
*In this manner, the same DOH-GVA schedule is maintained, GVA-EWR can see an evening service as well as an early morning departure at 0920 of UA957 so it provides a good choice for O&D pax here and it allows the flight back from EWR and GVA to arrive back into DOH at the peak time to connect to all of QR’s prime destinations departing within 90 minutes to Asia, Indian subcontinent and GCC region. In particular, EWR-AMD/BOM is beautifully connected in both directions via DOH!

The other scenario which one may find more adventurous and riskier but one which has a lot of potential in the long run to do well is to operate to EWR via Warsaw (WAW), Poland which would be a new destination altogether for QR. Poland as we all know is Eastern Europe’s largest and most healthiest economy and one of the few that avoided being plagued by the recent economic recession. In fact, its economic growth has been so huge, that it has now overtaken Holland as Europe’s sixth largest economy with also the highest GDP growth rate in Europe. With FIFA’s EURO 2012 tournament being played there this summer, the long term tourist market segment will only increase and there are no direct flights currently to both EWR and to the Middle East from WAW airport. Demand to Far East Asia, Australia, India, DXB, and NYC to/from WAW is big along with cargo as well which plays a key role in QR’s new route decision making process. One must also note that LOT only operates 4 times per week to JFK nonstop from WAW so with QR operating a daily service into EWR, it has a great chance to be a top contender market share wise especially in the high yielding premium cabin segment due to offering not only a daily service but a much better on board product in turn. The schedule for DOH-WAW-EWR would look somewhat like this:

QR XXX Dep DOH 0900 Arr WAW 1355 // QR XXX Dep WAW 1525 Arr EWR 1910
QR XXX Dep EWR 2040 Arr WAW 1140+1 // QR XXX Dep WAW 1320 Arr DOH 2000
*Once again a good schedule allowing the key markets required to feed WAW and EWR in both directions via DOH to be well connected

spr773

Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:56 am

Well they (Qatar) ain't going to go leaps and bounds till the present lousy Doha airport is upgraded. I had a nightmarish experience where one bus was used to accomodate a flight of an almost full A321 flight. It was a hot humid 36 deg C and then to top it all of once the bus reached the aircraft the doors were closed. The driver ran up the stairs and then knocked....but to no avail. Then the poor chap ran up the front stairs and then after a few minutes the rear door were opened and we escaped the stuffy bus. Thats even worse than any Indian airport I have transited

MAH4546

Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:15 am

Quoting EY460 (Reply 78):
Is announcing these routes so early a good move for Qatar? I know that it's good for advertising, but they give their competitors time to react. If any of these city is of any interest for EK, they can beat QR in no time. We have seen what happened with EY in Washington.

Nothing has been announced. A QR rep gave an example at a press conference of potential future 787 markets, and Bloomberg takes it out of context as if there are concrete plans. For all we know, LAX and SFO could be next.

winglets747

Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:51 am

Quoting MAV88 (Reply 33):
There has been no announcement for BOS-PEK service.

China Eastern issued this last week, saying it will open PEK-BOS with daily service.

12-Apr-2012 东航将于6月1日起开通北京——波士顿定期客运航线,每周7班。

东航于上世纪90年代开通了上海——洛杉矶航线,经过多年经 营,该航线在美国当地市场拥有了较好的口碑。为丰富东航产品,同时增加东航在美国的市场份额,东航先后于2006、2011年开通了上海——纽约、上海 ——夏威夷航线,初步构建了东西海岸遥相呼应的航线网络。而北京——波士顿航线的开通,无疑将进一步优化这一网络结构,为东航的客户提供更多选择。

2011年6月,东航正式加入天合联盟。东航在美国的合作伙伴达美航空在美国市场拥有相当完善的航线网络。依托合作伙伴的网络优势,东航不断完善自身的中美航线网络,为旅客出行提供更好的服务,同时提升中国民航在国际航空市场的竞争力。

aeroblogger

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:07 am

Quoting winglets747 (Reply 82):

China Eastern issued this last week, saying it will open PEK-BOS with daily service.

东航于上世纪90年代开通了上海——洛杉矶航线,经过多年经 营,该航线在美国当地市场拥有了较好的口碑。为丰富东航产品,同时增加东航在美国的市场份额,东航先后于2006、2011年开通了上海——纽约、上海 ——夏威夷航线,初步构建了东西海岸遥相呼应的航线网络。而北京——波士顿航线的开通,无疑将进一步优化这一网络结构,为东航的客户提供更多选择。

2011年6月,东航正式加入天合联盟。东航在美国的合作伙伴达美航空在美国市场拥有相当完善的航线网络。依托合作伙伴的网络优势,东航不断完善自身的中美航线网络,为旅客出行提供更好的服务,同时提升中国民航在国际航空市场的竞争力。

Thank you for the clarification. So JL and MU are both confirmed! TK and QR have both announced that they are considering. I know that AI will launch, but no official confirmation yet.

Lots of Asia service for BOS!

RWA380

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:26 am

Oh I see, it's so obvious....sorry my bad attempt at humor, other than the date I can't read this, I guess my Chinese is not as good as yours. I'll assume your summary is all the details that all these characters represent.  

delta2ual

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:07 pm

Quoting WA707atMSP (Reply 25):
Even a DTW-BEY flight on MEA would be better than QR, because DTW-Iraq is shorter via BEY than via DOH, and MEA could potentially code share with DL on the route.

I was thinking the same thing. With such a large population of Iraqi, Lebanese, and Jordanian in the Detroit area plus the connection opportunities at both end, I wonder if DTW-BEY could work with MEA/DL? What about Saudi?

SANMAN66

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:34 pm

Quoting Eightball (Reply 68):
but I think that it would be great if QR added an SAN route with the 787.

A SAN-DOH route would be an extreeeeemely long route! Would a 787 have that kind of range? BOS-DOH
is a pretty long route too!

Quoting SANFan (Reply 70):
I haven't heard of much interest or priority by the SDIA for nonstop service to the Middle East but that doesn't mean there is none. Once someone starts LAX service, perhaps "the competition" might more seriously think about SAN as an option... Anything's possible!

Agreed. I think LAX-Middle East service would decide if extra capacity is needed from the West Coast. I'm not
sure how good the loads are from the West Coast to the Middle East. Likely not as strong as the East Coast.

mogandoCI

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:53 pm

I have no idea how MU plans to fill their planes. I just checked random dates in July, and can't find any nonstop flights between PEK and BOS. It's only 1.5 months before this alleged start date.

Add to the fact that MU only operates to LAX/JFK within lower 48, PEK-BOS is even longer than AKL-LAX if they intend to use 332, and MU doesn't have any existing long-haul network out of PEK, this would be a tough route to succeed.

BOStonsox

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:23 am

This would be awesome, but it has not been covered in the Boston media as far as I can tell and I just don't know how they can get it started by June. I'll believe it when I see it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos