Condor24

RE: Never Found Wreckages

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:43 am

The wreckage of the South African Airways 747 that crashed en route from Hong King to Johannesburg in the late 80s.
Apparently carrying potentially toxic substances. Although I do think they traced one of the black box recorders.
'Condor, the span to fly'

bennett123

Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:59 am

If Ken Leishman's body was eaten by wolves, why did'nt the same happen with the other two bodies?.

connies4ever

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:38 am

Quoting bennett123 (Reply 51):
If Ken Leishman's body was eaten by wolves, why did'nt the same happen with the other two bodies?.

A very logical question. My only theory on this would be access to the body. Leishman could either a) have been ejected from the wreck, or b) there was a sufficiently large opening adjacent to his body that a wolf or wolves could have pulled him from it. The nurse and patient may well have been buried in the fuse and were inaccessible.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Archer

Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:37 am

I saw PAA mentioned. Did we remember the Stratocruiser in the 1950's that just disappeared
between HNL and SFO?

Few traces ever found.

connies4ever

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:39 pm

Quoting Archer (Reply 53):
I saw PAA mentioned. Did we remember the Stratocruiser in the 1950's that just disappeared
between HNL and SFO?

That would be "Clipper Romance of the Skies" Nov 8/57. Possible causes catastrophic mechanical failure or sabotage.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_377

13 hull losses out of 56 built. Not an inspiring safety record, mostly due to either the engine or the prop. Personally, if given the opportunity to fly in one (if any are still around) I'd take a pass.

rfields5421

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:33 pm

Quoting speedbird217 (Reply 26):
While searching for them, another PBM Mariner went missing.
They never found any wrecks.

The PBM, after take off from the Banana River Naval Air Station (now Patrick AFB), was observed to explode in the air off the Florida Coast by the civilian ship SS Gaines Mills. The carrier USS Solomons also observed the aircraft disappearing from radar at the same location and time. The civilian ship sailed through an oil slick but recovered not of the wreckage observed - looking only for survivors or bodies.

PBM's had issues with avgas fuel leaks and an inflight fire/ explosion was not unknown.

The US Navy Accident investigation report was publishing in the US Navy Aviation safety magazine back in the 70s. An article based on official USN records to refute most of the BS about the missing flight of 5 TBM aircraft.

There were several aircraft launched to search for/ help the missing aircraft. Some of the aircraft launched for the unsuccessful search did overfly several islands of the Bahamas, with no 'unusual' weather or events reported.

The US Navy official report of the missing flight is that likely the lead pilot may have suffered a 'normal' instrument failure and did not recognize it until he was lost. The lead pilot had previously had to ditch twice in the Pacific when he got lost in other missions.

falstaff

Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:21 pm

There was a B-25 that crashed in the Monongahela River, in Pittsburgh, in 1956 that supposably was never recovered and still hasn't been found. There is all kind of rumors about what the plane was carrying and why the government never claimed the plane was recovered. My dad always told me about he and his father watched some of the dredging operation, back in '56, but never saw a plane come out of the water. I always thought my dad was telling me a story he didn't know the end of (I just assumed they recovered the plane later, after he and his dad left, and he didn't know it was recovered until I saw a program on PBS about it.

http://old.post-gazette.com/regionstate/19990404bomber4.asp

There is even a book about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Incident-That-...ld-Killed-Pittsburgh/dp/1558564950
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

airfrancejfk

Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:47 pm

I can think of two.

Korean Air flight 858 - On November 29, 1987, B707 flying Baghdad-Abu Dhabi-Bangkok-Seoul, destroyed by in flight explosion over the Andaman Sea. Some wreckage washed ashore but the actual hull was never recovered.

Cubana flight 455 - on October 6, 1976, DC8 flying Georgetown-Port of Spain-Barbados-Kingston-Havana, destroyed by in flight explosion shortly after take off from Barbados. The area of the crash is known however I dont believe there was ever any recovery of the wreckage.

Thunderboltdrgn

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:03 pm

I copied this from one of my other post on another topic,

At September 9th 1942, a British bomber, type HP.52 Hampden, crashed in the
Swedish mountains. it took 34 years before it was found again by a hiker.

http://www.forcedlandingcollection.se/RAFe/RAF024-AE436.html
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

maxpower1954

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:40 pm

Quoting ThunderboltDrgn (Reply 58):
At September 9th 1942, a British bomber, type HP.52 Hampden, crashed in the
Swedish mountains. it took 34 years before it was found again by a hiker.

http://www.forcedlandingcollection.se/RAFe/RAF024-AE436.html

That was a very interesting story, thanks for posting it.

The HP.52 Hampden is about the ugliest airplane in history, don't you think?

vv701

Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:37 pm

Quoting ThirtyEcho (Reply 45):
Big band leader Glenn Miller, who went down somewhere over England during WWII. Nothing has ever been found.

GlennMiller was flying from England to Paris in December 1944 in a Norseman C-64 when the aircraft disappeared. It has been assumed that the aircraft was lost, possibly due to icing, over the English Channel. However there have also been more than one conspiracy theory put forward.

If the C-64 was lost in the English Channel then the chances of any evidence being found lie somewhere between very remote and totally impossible. However land wrecks of a similar age are still being discovered.

Earlier this month my family and I made a pilgrimage to Cassino in Italy where my father was killed during one of the four battles for Monte Cassino that were fought between January and June 1944. I was talking to the supervisor of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemetery in Cassino. He said that relatively recently a local farmer had unearthed an RAF World War 2 fighter aircraft. He said ts cockpit still contained human remains. Through DNA testing and reference to records the supervisor told me that the authorities were able to identify the aircraft and the pilot. His remains were interred in the cemetery in the presence of members of his family.

HSVflier

Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:13 pm

As someone who spent 3.5 years locating MIA from WW2 across the South Pacific and Europe, I can tell you there are thousands of wrecks that remain to be found. I can't tell you how many times we would be hiking through the jungle in New Guinea and found wreckage that was previously unknown.
Flown DL, UA, CO, WN, LH, TZ, WO, AA, US, LO, HA, PX, NW, KE, AB, QR, LX, EE, 5Y

teneriffe77

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:22 am

I know that one of my father's uncle's was flying a naval fighter during WW2 and his remains were never found.

ssteve

Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:37 am

Quoting falstaff (Reply 56):
There was a B-25 that crashed in the Monongahela River, in Pittsburgh, in 1956 that supposably was never recovered and still hasn't been found. There is all kind of rumors about what the plane was carrying and why the government never claimed the plane was recovered. My dad always told me about he and his father watched some of the dredging operation, back in '56, but never saw a plane come out of the water. I always thought my dad was telling me a story he didn't know the end of (I just assumed they recovered the plane later, after he and his dad left, and he didn't know it was recovered until I saw a program on PBS about it.

It actually took off from Philadelphia on October 28, 1943.  

MSYPI7185

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:51 am

Senator Hale Boggs (LA) - His plane disappeared in Alaska. Neither the wreckage or bodies have ever been found.
IIRC there were 2 or 3 others onboard with him.

MD

connies4ever

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:42 am

Quoting SSTeve (Reply 63):
It actually took off from Philadelphia on October 28, 1943.
Quoting SSTeve (Reply 63):
Quoting falstaff (Reply 56):
There was a B-25 that crashed in the Monongahela River, in Pittsburgh, in 1956

That's an awfully long loiter time !  

BreninTW

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:54 am

Quoting Condor24 (Reply 50):
The wreckage of the South African Airways 747 that crashed en route from Hong King to Johannesburg in the late 80s.
Apparently carrying potentially toxic substances. Although I do think they traced one of the black box recorders.

That would have been the Helderberg, and it was most certainly found (data recorders were recovered). However, the bulk of the wreckage was left.

SAA has lost one other aircraft that was never found:

A comet: http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19540408-2

connies4ever

Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:11 am

Quoting BreninTW (Reply 66):
SAA has lost one other aircraft that was never found:

A comet: http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19540408-2

I believe the technical means existed to identify the wreckage, and possibly raise some of it, as with another Comet. However, location was very unclear.

Comet was a painful learning experience for aviation. It is to the British authorities credit that they openly shared all knowledge gained with everyone, the principal benefactors being Boeing and Douglas.

WA707atMSP

Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:37 pm

A Northwest Airlines DC-4 crashed into Lake Michigan offshore from St. Joseph, Michigan, in June, 1950, killing all 58 passengers and crew. Some human remains from victims washed ashore, but the main wreckage has yet to be located.

In recent years, author / marine salvage expert Clive Cussler has helped fund searches for the wreckage through his "National Underwater Marine Agency". Here is a link to a web site about the search:

http://www.michiganshipwrecks.org/dc4.htm

If Clive and his team are successful, I'm sure at least a portion of the wreckage will be put on display at Dirk Pitt's hangar / home @ DCA  

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos