Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

oksman
Topic Author

How Can Air China Be Rated 4 Stars?

Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:48 pm

Hello all

I've flown CA quite some times in China, but just in domestic services and they were a regular airline. But this week I flown them on GRU-MAD route on Y and I was extremely surprised, and in a bad way. First of all, a 7 hour delay (OK, can happen to anyone). But then, it started: a very very old and dated (at least inside) A330, extremely dirty lavatories (I was the second person to use on the flight), no PTV's and no IFE at all (common screens were used only for institutional CA videos at the beginning of the flight, not a movie at all), terrible seats with no head rests (first time I've seen this on long haul), food and service worst then terrible. My intention is not to complain, as I got a great deal on the return ticket, but to understand: some airlines with great service are 4 stars, like EK, that I find great even on coach. How is it possible that CA is on the same level on Skytrax? Is it something to trust? Or I just had bad luck?
Your thoughts?

BMI727

RE: How Can Air China Be Rated 4 Stars?

Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:51 pm

Skytrax is generally derided here as being a joke.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

IrishAyes

Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:29 pm

Sorry, the title of this thread made me LOL, as well as did this comment:

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 1):

Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:50 pm

I flew Air China from SFO to PEK. The service was horrible, dirty lavs, horrible food, almost non-english speaking crew, bad overhead IFE, no inflight magazine, old dirty ratteling 744. Horrible, horrible airline to fly with. Even United was better than them. EVA Air on the way back was amazing. Excellent service and aircraft 77W.
Rgds,

aloges

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:07 am

Quoting oksman (Thread starter):
How Can Air China Be Rated 4 Stars?

because they paid for it

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

kiwiinoz

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:14 am

I travel in China a lot have have blacklisted them with our travel desk. Will happily go China Southern or China Eastern well ahead of Air China.

If you look across all of the Skytrax ratings there are some odd ones in there

BestWestern

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:41 am

Yawn, it's the monthly accuse airlines of corruption and paying off skytrax thread. Amazing how people think its ok to accuse airlines of bungs, etc on a public forum.

I for one don't like air china and my business goes to HU and the excellent CZ. However the air china domestic service is far superior to that offered by European or US companions.

As for not speaking English... Just how many us carriers have a foreign speaker on each one of their domestic fights?

Lufthansa have no ife on long haul, as does KLM. Food is a regional thing to be honest. Old 744s? a complaint from a country where DC9s and ageng 767s are flown is a sign of pot and kettle.

No inflight magazine.... In a country where every airline has at least two or three different ones in every seat set???
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

aloges

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:47 am

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 6):
Amazing how people think its ok to accuse airlines of bungs, etc on a public forum.

Do you actually believe that airlines don't fight dirty?

As for not speaking English... Just how many us carriers have a foreign speaker on each one of their domestic fights?

He was talking about a flight from SFO to PEK which is hardly domestic.

Lufthansa have no ife on long haul, as does KLM.

Reality begs to differ... in any case I'm guessing that you meant "PTV" instead of "IFE".

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Wilco737
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Frans Zwart

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

kiwiinoz

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:55 am

Yawn, it's the monthly accuse airlines of corruption and paying off skytrax thread. Amazing how people think its ok to accuse airlines of bungs, etc on a public forum.

Actually, I dont think anyone alleges corruption. Skytrax is a private organisation and can accept fees for whatever it wants. There is certainly no illegality in accepting money for a rating.

Hotels are the same. Except for government ratings agencies, most awards and ratings are paid for, either via advertising in publication, or just a straight out fee.

col

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:15 am

Air China is not 4 star. They have a total mish mash of on board products which makes no sense. The 330 fleet is a basket case with the 332 with and without PTV. The 333 has PTV part way through until economy, then overhead. Their fares are cheaper, so you get what you pay for a 2 1/2 star service. Domestically they are OK. The best route I have flown was TAO-ICN on their 321's.

By far the worse is PEK-KUL on their 757's, done this flight too many times!!!

Most Chinese Carriers have the same terrible toilet situation, give the plane a month in service then it smells just like a ten year veteren.

I find the crews OK, much more friendlier than a lot of US carriers, knowing a little Chinese helps, xie xie.

We live in hope that one day they will see what everyone else offers and bring it up a notch. I hate to say this, as now it is my only chance to get on board one, but those 757's need to go into retirement.

BestWestern

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:39 am

Kiwi, in the last thread on this very subject, someone suggested corruption

What % of the LH long haul fleet have IFE in economy?
What % of the DL long haul fleet have IFE in Economy?

It's not just about paying Skytrax. As I said on the last thread on this very subject, about 18 months ago, I was on a MU flight with a staff member sitting beside me with a huge report on what they had to do to reach four stars. They haven't made it yet - which to me suggests some level of rigor. MU in my opinion don't deserve four stars, but CZ does. I have flown Air China long haul in business, and the service was fine.

The Chinese airlines are improving dramatically. The change in service levels on CZ over the last two years is dramatic. Their new long haul A330 fleet is superb, with excellent hard product. Soft product is getting there in a slower fashion. Q

HU short haul is superb, and wipes the floor in comparison to anything in Europe or the US. Staff are faultless, food is excellent, and the hard product is outstanding in comparison to anything served up on a comparative short haul or transcon flight by the likes of Delta or British airways.

And lets not be all stereotype like about toilets and superior about the food. fish noodles may not be my thing for breakfast, but it's better than half a biscotti.

kiwiinoz

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:09 am

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 10):

I don't know about the last thread. I was just pointing out that what was being suggested in this thread does not amount to corruption

That being said, if the ratings agency themselves is willing to be flexible with it's rating qualification and make allowances, then who are we to question the validity of a 4 star status? This status belongs to Skytrax. Therefore if they say it's for star, then it is so.

I agree that Air China is better than it used to be, but it generally doesn't compare well to other airlines in the 4 star category, especially for on board hardware

juantrippe82

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:17 am

It's the same for the auto industry, alot of the "awards" have been made up or payed off by the industry.
Don't worry, I'm never wrong.

BestWestern

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:57 am

http://www.airlinequality.com/news/china_24FEB.htm

Skytrax discusses China. Fair article.

B2468

Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:00 am

Is 5 stars the highest rating?

Granted, my experience is from flying in Y and I have never experienced the premium products of the Chinese airlines, but I don't mind CA. Actually, I find Chinese airlines to all be quite similar in Y...I have flown on CA, MU, CZ, and MF, and all are mostly the same (HU is supposedly good, but I have never experienced them). The product is pretty average, nothing to write home about; definitely not 5-star, I'd say they are 3-star (provide an average product, nothing very bad, but nothing to write home about), but I can see a case for making CA 4-star. Chinese airlines have always taken me where I want to go, at low fares, with only one delay of more than one hour, and I have never had an outright negative experience.

I think much of the negativity toward Chinese airlines is mainland China's customer service culture...it pretty much doesn't exist. Anyone who has been to China has probably experienced very surly, and in many cases, outright rude service from people in the service industry. Smiles are virtually nonexistent, no "hello" or "thank you" (in Chinese, of course), and it is not uncommon for them to throw money or documents on the counter in front of you. A great example from a few weeks ago: I was at the checkout at a Walmart in Shanghai, and the Chinese customer in front of me asked for a bag and the cashier took the bag out and just threw it on the counter, then began ringing up my purchases, leaving the Chinese woman with a bunch of things on the counter which were starting to get mixed up with mine. The Chinese woman told the cashier "You should help me put stuff in the bag first", and the cashier, without looking at her said "those things are yours now, it isn't my job to bag them".

I think customer service on Chinese airlines is much better than what one would experience on the streets of China, but you still get that feeling of coldness...the gate staff and F/As in my experience have always been professional and efficient, but there is just something lacking in the service...it's almost robotic in a way. In contrast a recent experience on NH was so much different; much more welcoming, and even on the US airlines, a smile and polite greeting has always been returned. In China, that dynamic just doesn't seem to exist.

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 13):
http://www.airlinequality.com/news/china_24FEB.htm

Skytrax discusses China. Fair article.

This was an interesting read, and I totally agree with Skytrax when they say that Chinese airlines need to work on consistency. In flight offerings in Y can vary drastically...for example on one flight on MF HGH-CGO, we only got a small beverage and a small packet of codfish chips (holy hell I couldn't wait to get off that plane!). However, on the return CGO-HGH, Y pax got a full hot meal service (both flights were at roughly the same time of day). Sometimes you get something, and sometimes you don't, and the airlines don't really clearly indicate what services will be offered on flights, especially domestically.
CNC/DH4/ERJ/306/310/319/320/332/333/343/346/388/72S/731/732/733/734/73G/738/741/744/74E/752/762/763/77E/77W/D95/D1C/M82

BestWestern

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:15 am

The other thing that needs to be worked on, CZ and HU excepted, is attention to detail. Sometimes it's the small things that make a difference, and what's lacking here is training and process mapping. This is most evident on the ground, especially in non hub airports, and on the finer details of especially premium cabin service.

In saying that, CZ seem to be getting there. For example, CZ seem to be rolling out and enforcing sky priority with vengeance, and the crew are getting there with service. I feel that my AF platinum card means more to CZ than it does on my home carrier, where I am greeted by name, and feel looked after even if I am in the back of the cabin. even when English let's them down, they try to get the 'we value you' message across. It's funny when the poor girl comes down the cabin with her loyalty list and looks at the foreigner and the look of mild 'oh heck' spreads over her face.

I really don't fly Air China enough to comment, but in my opinion Shenzhen air and China Eastern are at the opposite end of the service equation in China. Lucky I don't have to fly them more than 5 times a year.

I always find these complaints like 'no English in their magazine' funny. There is a hell of a lot more English in an average Chinese airline brochure than in an American one to be honest.

rogercamel

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:21 am

Well - in my experience many Asian airlines are inconsistent. Particularly if they are an established airline, and are trying to both grow their network and at the same time upgrade their fleet to more modern planes - there are inevitably some old planes that get are still going around. I'd think that SkyTrax is skewed by the experience on the higher yielding routes (which would tend to get newer and nicer planes).

oksman
Topic Author

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:39 am

Quoting B2468 (Reply 14):

For me it was exactly the contrary. You might find it strange but in China I flew CA and MU many times and crew and ground services were always nice and helpful, and I don't speak Chinese. That was one of the reasons I believed Skytrax.

Happened the same to me. Full meal in a short one hour hop on MU (I guess it was KMG-LJG) and not even a beverage on PEK-SHA.

Quoting juantrippe82 (Reply 12):

I don't want to discuss ethics here, but if a car magazine accepts money to give a prize to some car I won't read if I know and won't buy the car. Same with Skytrax. What we need is reliable information, this is what they are intended to provide. If they're failing on that, they'll loose the customers because they're service is worthless. Regarding CA, I chose to fly them because they had excellent price and are *A members, and I don't fly IB (worst service ever and totally unreliable). They never promised a good service, it was only me, that believed Skytrax. I'll never do it again, not even access or recommend their website. Maybe we should start a rank here on A.net.

Stealthz

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:49 am

Not sure (with all due respect B2468) that the poster of the comments below has a real grasp of the situation.

I was at the checkout at a Walmart in Shanghai, and the Chinese customer in front of me asked for a bag and the cashier took the bag out and just threw it on the counter, then began ringing up my purchases,

I have shopped at a couple of Walmarts stateside and I have patronised the retailers of Shanghai, I would have seen throwing the bag on the counter and moving to the next customer as wildly exceeding my expectations!!

My niece flew CA SYD-PEK-NYC a little while back and being a selfconfessed cheapskate backpacker of only 21 Y/O she chose CA because it saved her a few hundred dollars(many in fact).. returning a few weeks later her first admission was .. "it wasn't worth the saving.. next time I'm flying a proper airline"
If your camera sends text messages, that could explain why your photos are rubbish!....well that might have changed!!!

B2468

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:41 am

Quoting oksman (Reply 17):
For me it was exactly the contrary. You might find it strange but in China I flew CA and MU many times and crew and ground services were always nice and helpful, and I don't speak Chinese. That was one of the reasons I believed Skytrax.

Well, like I said, I have never had an outright bad experience on the Chinese airlines I have flown...both ground and airborne staff were always professional and efficient, and English skills were always adequate...although I do speak Chinese, I usually use English when communicating with staff and have never had a problem (when they see a foreigner, they default to English, and it is just easier to follow them). The Chinese airlines are just not "stellar" in my personal opinion, like the experiences I had in Y on KE and SQ (then again, on KE and SQ, they were far more expensive than options on MU or CA). CA may deserve 4 stars...I believe that there is certainly an argument to be made there, especially since I have never experienced their J or F product.

Quoting stealthz (Reply 18):
Not sure (with all due respect B2468) that the poster of the comments below has a real grasp of the situation.

No offense taken here...I have been living here for over 5 years, and I am the first person who will tell you that understanding China is unbelievably difficult to a westerner.

Quoting stealthz (Reply 18):
I have shopped at a couple of Walmarts stateside and I have patronised the retailers of Shanghai, I would have seen throwing the bag on the counter and moving to the next customer as wildly exceeding my expectations!!

My point in telling that story is that customer service culture in China is still developing, and for many who perform these reviews and "star ratings", they are not Chinese, and are probably a little put off by the mechanical nature in which Chinese in customer service positions do their jobs. In my "Walmart" anecdote, the important part was where the customer complained that the cashier should help her, and the cashier said "the stuff is yours, it isn't my job"...as someone who understands Chinese and even some Shanghainese, the cashier's tone was very impatient and basically "get out of here, I've got other things to tend to". No attempt to please the customer was made. My wife, who is Chinese and was also with me, thought the cashier's behavior was inappropriate. I can't speak for your experiences at Walmart in the US, but at the Walmarts I have been to in the US, customer service was always better than that (it is the other customers that piss me off, not the staff). But, that is the norm here. Again, the airlines are usually much better than Walmart, but there is still the feeling of coldness that you don't feel on other nations' airlines.
CNC/DH4/ERJ/306/310/319/320/332/333/343/346/388/72S/731/732/733/734/73G/738/741/744/74E/752/762/763/77E/77W/D95/D1C/M82

skippy777

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:00 am

I Think they paid for the review. Air China is not 4 star I would say 3 star. I always rate my own flights on www.btmagazine.nl Not a commercial group but just an honest review. I fly many sections a year mainly First- and Business class. If I look a Skytrax I always see advertisings from an airline and they have an excellent rating. Weird As I also noticed once that Garuda was marked as a 4 star airline close to 5 star. Yeh for sure. The airlines use the ratings for there marketing tools. So the best way is to rate your flights as well on these non commercial websites to be sure to get a correct rating

L410Turbolet

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:03 am

Lufthansa have no ife on long haul, as does KLM.

No IFE on KLM? Really?
I think you should do at least a basic reaseach before making such baseless claims. Google search is you friend.

a complaint from a country where DC9s and ageng 767s are flown is a sign of pot and kettle.

One could just as claim that being from a country that gave Europe the "blessing" of Ryanair (and their inflight (dis)service standards) is not the best qualification to recognize quality.

As far as Skytrax and their ratings. They can give as many stars to whichever airline they feel like, but I find it perfectly legitimate to question their credibility when reality is in contradiction with their formal rating.
Interestingly, even on forums like Flyertalk and Tripadvisor the general consensus is that Skytrax is a joke. Must be some sort of international conspiracy, huh?

chrisrad

Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:06 pm

Quoting Skippy777 (Reply 20):
Weird As I also noticed once that Garuda was marked as a 4 star airline close to 5 star. Yeh for sure.

Have you actually read the many glowing reports on this very website on Garuda? they have improved dramatically in the last few years.
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

BestWestern

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:53 pm

Turbojet, why the anger towards me? I'm not complaining here. I have flown KLM plenty of times, I have a Flying Blue platinum card. Not all their aircraft have IFE. Not all Air China aircraft have IFE. KLM business class seat is pre-historic, at least Air China have full flat beds being rolled out, as does CZ.

It's easy to dismiss Chinese airlines as one star carriers who buy stars, but they are improving dramatically, as are the airports. Two years ago Kl service to china was superior to CZ, but now the tide has turned. CZ to AMS offers a better service with better seats, and better crew, and have not followed the trend towards sardine seating in economy.

My argument that someone complaining about old aircraft in china, yet lives in a country buys second hand aircraft from China is kind of weird.

Brendan03

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:44 pm

I might weigh in here, though my experience with Air China was back in 2008, I have to admit, I was very disappointed, even going in with an open mind.

The condition of the A330-200 was quite different to those I'm reading here. The plane was in good condition, clean and well appointed for basic economy. Toilets were clean, Head-rests (and seats) were comfortable and the PTV's fitted had a fairly wide range of features (though the games didn't work and would freeze if you tried using them)

The major letdown for me was the service and attitude from Flight crew. Meal service was non-existent other than your 'main' - There were no snacks, other than a plain bread roll with no condiment options, not even butter or a tiny packet of plain nuts, not even salted.

They even ran out of wine before dinner. The return flight was terrible as well, I called for Lemonade/Sprite after waking up during the night and had a small paper cup of water thrust into my hand before the flight attendant vanished, at which point I was too exhausted and sick of the attitude from the attendants to bother fighting it.

Having flown Garuda as well at various stages before the re-brand, I can't even begin to compare the two. Garuda have always been fantastic to me.

Naturally, Experience may vary from person to person but after having done MEL-PVG-PEK and PEK-PVG, PVG-MEL, I have sworn off of Air China and I would not give them a second thought unless there was a massive, drastic change which was quite obvious even from someone who only has a vague interest in the market.

Whilst I don't like to tar an entire airline with the same brush, It's quite difficult when I had 4 different flights, I found the overall experience the same. There was almost a level of contempt from the crew towards the passengers.

4 Stars? My experience would be 3.5 if I was feeling generous but again, This was 4 years ago.
Coolier than thou.

skippy777

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:08 pm

@chrisrad I haven't flown them anymore since they still had the business class cabin where the last two rows where available for smokers. I think they where one of the last airlines to forbid smoking during a flight. Next month I have to fly to Jakarta and normally fly with KLM, Lufthansa or Singapore, but noticed that Garuda is flying Amsterdam - Dubai - Jakarta. I might try them how they are doing nowadays, put from the past I new it was really nothing

L410Turbolet

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:26 pm

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 23):
Turbojet, why the anger towards me?

What anger? I was just pointing to your errors. And if someone from a country that degraded air travel to the level of FR can snide at LH's or KL's service I don't see anything wrong about someone from the US pointing out to Air China's crappy aircraft.

Not all their aircraft have IFE.

AFAIK, with the completed retrofit of the 747 and MD11 fleet, all KLM's widebodies have PTV.

softrally

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:46 pm

I literally LOL'd when I read the title. I've had a horrible experience with them once, and I wondered the exactly same thing.
Flown on: 738, 744, 762/763, 772, 77W, 788, A306, A318/319/320/321, A332/333, E145, E190, CRJ700

b6a322

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:01 pm

My argument that someone complaining about old aircraft in china, yet lives in a country buys second hand aircraft from China is kind of weird.

Okay, we still fly DC9s and MD80's. Point taken. Every country has its old planes that fly in revenue service. But this is't what we're discussing here.

They key words are "At least inside"

Quoting oksman (Thread starter):
a very very old and dated (at least inside) A330,

That said, you can step onboard a 25 year old Delta MD80 and feel like it was delivered a few years ago. You can board a WN 733 and although it doesn't have IFE, it feels like it was delivered a few years ago.

Cabin age appearance is what this part is about. Not the actual aircraft age.
The content I post are my own thoughts, nothing more. :)

kulatict

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:29 pm

Quoting col (Reply 9):
By far the worse is PEK-KUL on their 757's, done this flight too many times!!!

Most Chinese Carriers have the same terrible toilet situation, give the plane a month in service then it smells just like a ten year veteren.

totally agree with this...flew this route on the chinese new year season 2011, was an absolute nightmare... the flight attendants don't really enforce any 'safety measure'...the passengers were still moving about and the pilot started taxing. (we're talking about a 757 here, you can see from the nose to the tail on what's going on).... luggage pilling up on the seat and they just don't care.... and i don't even want to start with the lav's situation...

the general stereotype of horrible flight attendants are that in US, we have grumpy grandmas and in China, they have model wannabes that don;t quite make the cut....

as for all the discussion of whether CA deserved a 4-star...well, all these stars are trully subjective anyway...one person's 1-star is another person's 4 star...the CA flights that i took ranged from 4-stars on PEK - HRB on January 2005 to 0-star on PEK - KUL on Feb 2011...that's my personal viewpoint, who to say that i'm wrong on how i feel????

Navigator

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:47 pm

Quoting rogercamel (Reply 16):
Well - in my experience many Asian airlines are inconsistent

I think it would be fair of you to divide the asian carriers in different categories. Remember that top notch Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines etc are Asian carriers. I would suggest you group them in a superior category. But another Asian carrier is Pakistan International.... You see my point. Asia is large and your point does not really get through... An equally valid point would be to say that many European carriers are inconsistent... that will include both Russian and Scandinavian carriers....
747-400/747-200/L1011/DC-10/DC-9/DC-8/MD-80/MD90/A340/A330/A300/A310/A321/A320/A319/767/757/737/727/HS-121/CV990/CV440/S

Viscount724

Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:26 pm

I have flown KLM plenty of times, I have a Flying Blue platinum card. Not all their aircraft have IFE.

I think we're refering to longhaul widebody services here. What KL widebodies have no IFE? None as far as I know. I believe their entire widebody fleet has seatback PTVs. Even their MD-11s were updated with new seats and PTVs a few years ago.

juantrippe82

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:22 pm

Quoting oksman (Reply 17):
Maybe we should start a rank here on A.net.

Perhaps we should, but I just don't have the time  
Don't worry, I'm never wrong.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos