Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fca767
Topic Author

Gatwick - Worlds Busiest Single Runway Airport!

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:31 am

Gatwick: "Worlds Busiest Single Runway in the world."
"Gatwick and it's other airports all across the world"

GRRRRRRR!!! I can't watch that Program 'inside gatwick" any more...And the other one "nothing to declare UK"

I'm not a braniac but I'm sure Gatwick has two Runways...and it tires me of hearing the Narrator go on and on, like saying "tens of thousands of it's passengers will be left stranded and it's airport and it's other airports around the world"
And on Nothing to delcare UK, an Aerial shot of Heathrow and then them saying "Back at Gatwick" over and over the falseness.

IndianicWorld

RE: Gatwick - Worlds Busiest Single Runway Airport!

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:34 am

Settle  

Btw, Gatwick is still officially a one runway airport. Nothing has changed there.

timboflier215

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:35 am

Gatwick does have two runways, but they are too close together for simultaneous operations, so the airport is, in fact, single runway from an operative standpoint.

fca767
Topic Author

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:40 am

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 1):
Btw, Gatwick is still officially a one runway airport. Nothing has changed there.
Quoting timboflier215 (Reply 2):
Gatwick does have two runways, but they are too close together for simultaneous operations, so the airport is, in fact, single runway from an operative standpoint.

Yea, they should say single use operator.

rutankrd

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:54 am

26R/08L is not an operational runway , except as an emergency and night time maintainance strip.

Requires special procedures and notams , clearance of stands on the southern pier and stacking of landing aircraft with lengthy gaps on runways usage to allow traffic to back track and taxi along the northern parallel taxiway.

Use is this strip adds significant burdens to the airport operations when events do require its commissioning.

This runway is really just a taxiway and clearances prevent it ever being deployed simultaniously .

Gatwick is to all intents and purposes and operationally a single runway airport.

B747forever

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:55 am

Quoting fca767 (Reply 3):

Splitting hairs, huh?
Work Hard, Fly Right
1052 flights/294 airports/180 airlines

tribird1011

Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:58 am

Don't know the actual distances, but are the runways far apart that you can segregate operations? ie. use one for arrivals and the other for departures? -- kinda like YYZ when using 24L and 24R or 06L and 06R?

TupolevTu154

Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:28 pm

Quoting fca767 (Thread starter):
And on Nothing to delcare UK, an Aerial shot of Heathrow and then them saying "Back at Gatwick" over and over the falseness.

I'll agree with you on that one. Highly irritating!

PITrules

Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:36 pm

Quoting IndianicWorld (Reply 1):

Officially, its not, ever since the parallel taxiway became a runway.

Quoting timboflier215 (Reply 2):
so the airport is, in fact, single runway from an operative standpoint.

Until, of course operations commence on the SECOND runway.

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 4):
26R/08L is not an operational runway , except as an emergency and night time maintainance strip.

In which case it is operational as a runway.

Use is this strip adds significant burdens to the airport operations when events do require its commissioning.

Significant burdens, such as the ability to take arriving and departing aircraft, when a true single runway airport, such as SAN cannot?

Gatwick is to all intents and purposes and operationally a single runway airport.

Until the main runway is closed, and operations shift to the "standby runway", delays notwithstanding.

I guess Heathrow is "The World's Busiest International Airport", even though its not. How long has the BAA and the magazines of Key Publishing got away with that nonsense?
FLYi

Thenoflyzone

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:06 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 8):

In which case, the first runway is closed, making it still a single runway airport again.

Give it a rest already.

LGW never uses both runways together, be it dependent ops, independent ops, segregated or not. Period !

Quoting tribird1011 (Reply 6):
Don't know the actual distances, but are the runways far apart that you can segregate operations? ie. use one for arrivals and the other for departures? -- kinda like YYZ when using 24L and 24R or 06L and 06R?

Read above.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

skipness1E

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:10 pm

Also it's not great on Pier One being under the flightpath of 26R.....
They also need to clear the stands on the 140s as they infringe the runway, so it's not known as the emergeny runway for nothing.

brilondon

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:11 pm

Don't know the actual distances, but are the runways far apart that you can segregate operations? ie. use one for arrivals and the other for departures? -- kinda like LGW are not far enough apart for that type of operation. IIRC when they built the second runway they did not have any intentions of operating the two runways together but as a alternative when ever the main runway was closed for anything you can think of.

As to LHR being the World's Busiest International airport, technically it is. There are more international passengers travelling through it then any other airport in the world. But the inference that it is the busiest international airport in the world is what people get from that statement.

[Edited 2012-04-28 06:16:48]

[Edited 2012-04-28 06:18:58]
Rush forever Closer To My Heart

swiftski

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:12 pm

It is single runway.

Otherwise, it's like having a single lane road, calling it a busy single lane road, then when someone overtakes saying that it's no longer a single lane road, because for an instant there were two cars abeam each other, and thus, in different lanes.

No one says that, do they?

PM

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:12 pm

It has ONE runway. End of story.

I love the airport. It is unique and so many of my life's adventures have started or finished there. A very special place.

PITrules

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:16 pm

Quoting thenoflyzone (Reply 9):
In which case, the first runway is closed, making it still a single runway airport again.

Give it a rest already.

LGW never uses both runways together, be it dependent ops, independent ops, segregated or not. Period !

Comprehend the point-

Runways need maintenance, periodic closure due to emergencies, etc. The fact that LGW has a second runway to continue operations to deal with these issues means that it is not a single runway airport.
FLYi

swiftski

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:19 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 14):
Comprehend the point-

Runways need maintenance, periodic closure due to emergencies, etc. The fact that LGW has a second runway to continue operations to deal with these issues means that it is not a single runway airport.

Motorbikes need maintenance, etc. The fact that motorbikes have a spare tire to continue operations means they are not two wheeled, they are three wheeled. And cars are five wheeled. And eighteen-wheelers are actually 19 wheelers.

/Ugh.

PITrules

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:26 pm

Quoting swiftski (Reply 12):
Otherwise, it's like having a single lane road, calling it a busy single lane road, then when someone overtakes saying that it's no longer a single lane road, because for an instant there were two cars abeam each other, and thus, in different lanes.

You mean overtaking on the other lane?

Quoting swiftski (Reply 15):
Motorbikes need maintenance, etc. The fact that motorbikes have a spare tire to continue operations means they are not two wheeled, they are three wheeled. And cars are five wheeled. And eighteen-wheelers are actually 19 wheelers.

The extra wheel allowing continued operations, does it not? Unlike a true single runway airport.

Holy smokes, enough of the stupid analogies.

Gatwick has two runways.
FLYi

rutankrd

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:00 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 16):

Quoting swiftski (Reply 12):

You mean overtaking on the other lane?

The extra wheel allowing continued operations, does it not? Unlike a true single runway airport.

Holy smokes, enough of the stupid analogies.

Gatwick has two runways.

AGAIN IT HAS ONE LICENSED STRIP !

Only one runway.

The emergency strip is a taxiway that may deployed in very special conditions . Its pave weight limit is that of a hardened taxiway and not a runway period.

fca767
Topic Author

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:00 pm

Nooooooo....if a bike had 3 Axles, with a third tire raised off the ground then it's a three wheel bike.

rutankrd

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:07 pm

I guess Heathrow is "The World's Busiest International Airport", even though its not. How long has the BAA and the magazines of Key Publishing got away with that nonsense?

This remains very much the case . NO other airport on planet earth handles more INTERNATIONAL traffic than Heathrow .

PITrules

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:15 pm

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 19):
NO other airport on planet earth handles more INTERNATIONAL traffic than Heathrow .

Agreed. And if need be, the above should be the phraseology used to convey that point.

But it is not the "World's Busiest International Airport", as there are other international airports that are busier. Calling Heathrow the busiest international airport in the world is misuse of the very language the English gave the world.
FLYi

BestWestern

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:16 pm

Let's all agree that Gatwick has 1.5 runways?
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

frmrCapCadet

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:24 pm

SeaTac had two runways, unless the weather was bad. Then it became a single runway airport. Enough of a problem that a third runway was built at great expense (and controversy). So now is it a 3 runway or 2? Definitional threads like this can be fun or maddening, depending upon one's state of mind.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

fca767
Topic Author

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:25 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 20):
Agreed. And if need be, the above should be the phraseology used to convey that point.

But it is not the "World's Busiest International Airport", as there are other international airports that are busier. Calling Heathrow the busiest international airport in the world is misuse of the very language the English gave the world.

I agree, I'm just tired of documentaries making me feel like i'm watching the Worlds first, best of something.
I mean most of the time they'll slip in the Best busiest Mother's Uncle's Brother's Aunty in the world...etc.

PlymSpotter

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:26 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 14):

Gatwick's situation is similar to those airports which use a taxiway as a stand in runway when they have an issue with their single runway. The fact is that it has no ILS and does not meet modern design and safety requirements by a long long way, meaning it is only allowed to be operational in an emergency with the main runway closed and numerous other measures taken. The status 'not available on request by pilots' sums up it's identity.

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 17):
Its pave weight limit is that of a hardened taxiway and not a runway period.

Weight is definitely not an issue. It has the same PCN as LGW's runway; 100 F/C/W/T, making it one of the strongest runways in the UK - if not the strongest. IIRC LHR's are 'only' 83 F/A/W/T.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

rutankrd

Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:26 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 20):
But it is not the "World's Busiest International Airport", as there are other international airports that are busier. Calling Heathrow the busiest international airport in the world is misuse of the very language the English gave the world

Pure semantics and statistics

Atlanta Dallas and Chicago are largely domestic hubs and the two busiest international airports in the US are JFK and Miami.

The UKs third airport Manchester handles more international traffic than the three US super hubs !

In fact no US airport shows in they top 15 for International traffic.

vv701

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:27 pm

Quoting fca767 (Reply 3):

That would be meaningless and therefore totally confusing to Joe Public.

NO other airport on planet earth handles more INTERNATIONAL traffic than Heathrow .

I have been holding my breath and waiting for someone to say that this is wrong because traffic between EU countries is not "international". Actually, come to think of it that is . . . No. I won't go there.  

readytotaxi

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:15 pm

Quoting bestwestern (Reply 21):
Let's all agree that Gatwick has 1.5 runways?

Oh YES !   
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Polot

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:05 pm

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 25):
The UKs third airport Manchester handles more international traffic than the three US super hubs !

That has more to do with geography than anything else.

Quoting VV701 (Reply 26):
I have been holding my breath and waiting for someone to say that this is wrong because traffic between EU countries is not "international". Actually, come to think of it that is . . . No. I won't go there.

Technically it is, the EU is not a country. Too bad airports don't list intercontinental traffic though, that would be more interesting.

[Edited 2012-04-28 10:06:10]

zeke

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:19 pm

HKG handles more international passengers than LHR, LHR is #2. I think HKG is now the #1 international freight airport in the world as well. I think it will not be long, and DXB will overtake both HKG and LHR.

http://www.aci.aero/cda/aci_common/d...i&cp=1-5-212-1376-1379_666_2__

LGW actually sees more international traffic than JFK, just goes to show how busy it is.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

ATLFlyer323

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:38 pm

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 25):
Pure semantics and statistics

Atlanta Dallas and Chicago are largely domestic hubs and the two busiest international airports in the US are JFK and Miami.

What relevance does that information have to what you quoted. He did not mention anything about US international airport traffic.

Quoting zeke (Reply 29):
LGW actually sees more international traffic than JFK, just goes to show how busy it is.

Wow! That is amazing! From most posts on here you would think LGW is the poor ugly sibling of LHR with no traffic at all. I never realized they had so much international traffic! How much domestic traffic does LGW handle?

-ATLFlyer323
Everyday, the fluffy temptation of wheat!

Polot

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:44 pm

Quoting atlflyer323 (Reply 30):
Wow! That is amazing! From most posts on here you would think LGW is the poor ugly sibling of LHR with no traffic at all. I never realized they had so much international traffic! How much domestic traffic does LGW handle?

According to Gatwicks website, ~11% of their traffic was domestic. That figure is from January 2011 but it is probably roughly the same. Keep in mind though that international includes flights within the EU, which is why LGW has more international passengers than JFK; this is of course why most European airports and airlines carry more international passengers than their US counterpoints. According to the same statistics 16% of their traffic is longhaul international (although they don't define their criteria for that). The balance (73%) is shorthaul international (i.e. intra EU).

ATLFlyer323

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:47 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 31):
According to Gatwicks website, ~11% of their traffic was domestic. That figure is from January 2011 but it is probably roughly the same. Keep in mind though that international includes flights within the EU, which is why LGW has more international passengers than JFK; this is of course why most European airports and airlines carry more international passengers than their US counterpoints. According to the same statistics 16% of their traffic is longhaul international (although they don't define their criteria for that). The balance (73%) is shorthaul international (i.e. intra EU).

Thanks for that! It's funny how a simple play on words can always change statistics drastically.

-ATLFlyer323
Everyday, the fluffy temptation of wheat!

zeke

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Quoting atlflyer323 (Reply 30):

LGW is dwarfed by LHR, this is the number of international passengers so far this year.

HKG 4,872,000
LHR 4,822,402
DXB 4,798,533
LGW 1,859,457
JFK 1,743,824

DXB is growing at over 10% a year, it should comfortably be in #1 place very soon.
“Don't be a show-off. Never be too proud to turn back. There are old pilots and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots.” E. Hamilton Lee, 1949

RussianJet

Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:56 pm

Some new hair-splitting records being set here. Take a chill-pill folks. The single runway claim can be quite satisfactorily argued by most standards, therefore it is unsurprising to hear it on a documentary for the masses. That's really all there is to it.
✈ Every strike of the hammer is a blow against the enemy. ✈

vv701

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:08 pm

Quoting Polot (Reply 28):
Technically it is, the EU is not a country.

Yet the EC - not the British government - is responsible for commercial aviation policy. For example it controls slot policy at LHR. It also determined the caveats and their detailed terms when it and not the British government approved the IAG purchase of BD. It also requires all renegotiated and new bilateral agreements between EU countries and non-EU countries to conform to certtain minimum requirements. Of course this latter requirement can cause problems as it is often not the EC involved in the negotiations. But as I understand it it is only the Russian Federation that has so far not agreed to the EC determined conditions.

Of course the Open Skies agreement was between the EU and the USA and was negotiated by the EC and the American government.

Polot

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:25 pm

Quoting VV701 (Reply 35):
Yet the EC - not the British government - is responsible for commercial aviation policy. For example it controls slot policy at LHR. It also determined the caveats and their detailed terms when it and not the British government approved the IAG purchase of BD. It also requires all renegotiated and new bilateral agreements between EU countries and non-EU countries to conform to certtain minimum requirements. Of course this latter requirement can cause problems as it is often not the EC involved in the negotiations. But as I understand it it is only the Russian Federation that has so far not agreed to the EC determined conditions.

That may be true, but a passenger flying between the UK and France, for example, is still technically an international one and is counted as such in the statistics.

The individual nations may defer to a higher power for policy matters, but the EU is not a sovereign nation, just as the Arab League or the African Union are not.

kdhurst380

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:33 am

LGW has held this position for quite a number of years, quite surprised the A.net pedants haven't picked up on it yet.

It's classed as such because no other runway in the world, apart from 08R/26L at LGW sees more movements, which in turn makes it the worlds busiest single runway airport. I don't have a source, I'm too lazy to look for it, but I'm sure I've previously read that 08R/26L has handled in the region of 70 movements in an hour at it's peak.

It has two runways yes, but operationally, as many have said, can only operate with one runway at a time, the rest of the time 08L/26R is just another parallel taxiway.

Edit: Current claim is the "Worlds busiest single-use runway averaging 52 movements an hour"

[Edited 2012-04-28 17:36:49]

Eagleboy

Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:40 am

Don't know the actual distances, but are the runways far apart that you can segregate operations? ie. use one for arrivals and the other for departures?

NO

Which only happens if there is a problem with the main runway....

In which case it is operational as a runway.

but this then prevents the first runway being used.

Circular arguments are fun indeed!!!

EK413

Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:19 am

Tried to dig up information on the separations with no success... However there appears to be plans on a second runway...

Several options to expand Gatwick have been considered, including a third terminal and a second runway to the south of the existing runway. This would allow Gatwick to handle more passengers than Heathrow does today. If a second, wide-spaced (as opposed to close parallel) runway is approved, a new terminal could be sited between the two runways. This could either complement or replace the current South Terminal, depending on expected future traffic developments.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

coolum

Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:41 am

The information for runway separation is contained in Annex 14 Volume 1.

Annex 14 - AERODROMES
Chapter 3
Minimum distance between parallel runways
3.1.11 Recommendation.- Where parallel non-instrument runways are intended for simultaneous use, the minimum distance between their centre lines should be:
- 210 m where the higher code number is 3 or 4;
- 150 m where the higher code number is 2; and
- 120 m where the higher code number is 1.
Note.- Procedures for wake turbulence categorization of aircraft and wake turbulence separation minima are contained in the Procedures for Air Navigation Services - Air Traffic Management (PANS-ATM), Doc 4444, Chapter 4, 4.9 and Chapter 5, 5.8, respectively.
3.1.12 Recommendation.- Where parallel instrument runways are intended for simultaneous use subject to conditions specified in the PANS-ATM (Doc 4444) and the PANS-OPS (Doc 8168), Volume I, the minimum distance between their centre lines should be:
- 1 035 m for independent parallel approaches;
- 915 m for dependent parallel approaches;
- 760 m for independent parallel departures;
- 760 m for segregated parallel operations;
except that:
a)For segregated parallel operations the specified minimum distance:
1) may be decreased by 30m for each 150m that the arrival runway is segregated toward the arriving aircraft, to a minimum of 300m; and
2) should be increased 30m for each 150m that the arrival runway is staggered away from the arriving aircraft;
b) for independent parallel approaches, combination of minimum distances and associated conditions other then those specified in the PANS-ATM (Doc.4444) may be applied when it is determined that such combinations would not adversely affect the safety of aircraft operations.
Note: Procedures and facility requirements for simultaneous operations on parallel or near-parallel instrument runways are contained in the PANS-ATM (Doc.4444) Chapter.6 and the PANS-OPS (Doc.8168), Volume.I, Part.VII and Volume.II Parts II and III and relevant guidance is contained in the manual of Simultaneous Operations on Parallel or Near-parallel Instrument Runways (Doc.9643)
Big version: Width: 615 Height: 343 File size: 18kb
Big version: Width: 615 Height: 340 File size: 28kb
Big version: Width: 616 Height: 231 File size: 16kb

[Edited 2012-04-28 21:47:07]
Coolum

s.p.a.s.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:56 am

According to Jeppesen, and they just replicate the official AIP-UK information, LGW has two runways, but with a big remark that 26R/08L is only used when 26L/08R is non-operational.

Besides that, the short runway has PAPI, runway lights and markings, and both share the same pavement load capability (listed as PCN 100). They even have IFR approach procedures published for it, RNAV/GNSS for both ends. This is very different than having a single runway and a long parallel taxi-way running along that might be used as a runway, but is not permanently marked or lighted as such, some airports have this setup. Most of the time there are no procedures published, although depending on the NPA available for the de facto runway, they can be used for the temporary rwy/taxi-way.

So while on a day to day basis it operates as a single runway airport (due to operational reasons) officially it is listed as a two runway airport.

Can we at least agree that Kai Tak was a single runway airport?  
"ad astra per aspera"

huaiwei

Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:39 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 29):
HKG handles more international passengers than LHR, LHR is #2. I think HKG is now the #1 international freight airport in the world as well. I think it will not be long, and DXB will overtake both HKG and LHR.

Since we are all into splitting hairs, Hong Kong is officially an inalienable and integral part of China (as far as Beijing is concerned, of course), so flights within that one country is domestic. Who cares that you actually need passports for this "domestic flight" thou?  

Oh, and both the PRC and ROC officially believes that Greater China is one country too (with slightly different boundaries thou). So lets remove all the HKG-Taiwan data from the international statistics as well, which immediately chops off at least 10% of HKG's international statistics. Viola! LHR is the busiest international airport and Memphis the busiest freight airport again! 

[Edited 2012-04-28 23:41:37]
It's huaiwei...not huawei. I have nothing to do with the PRC! :)

mikey72

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:04 am

They could build a taxi-way from LHR running adjacent to the M25 and then down the M23 to LGW.

I like Boris Johnson but he's got nothing on me for airport expansion ideas !
Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I can stand.

asctty

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:36 am

Who cares how many runways LGW has? When it is up to full capacity during the summer, the departures waiting area is a nightmare, especially around the departures board which won't tell which gate you need to go until 45 mins before the flight. There are hardly any seats at peak times, and very little else to do. When the summer season is in full holiday flight mode, the number of extremely bored kids is amazing. Anyone trying to advocate an additional runway being brought into use obviously, even if one was certified for use, hasn't used the airport recently.

mikey72

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:10 am

Int. pax traffic stats 2011

LHR handled 64.6M people in 2011. Making it the busiest.

Quoting zeke (Reply 29):
HKG handles more international passengers than LHR, LHR is #2

Bullsh*t !

LHR handled 64.6M and HKG handled 53.3M people.

You're only 11M people short.

Oh I do like a good pis*ing contest !!

[Edited 2012-04-29 01:14:12]
Flying is like sex - I've never had all I wanted but occasionally I've had all I can stand.

rutankrd

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:51 am

Quoting mikey72 (Reply 45):
LHR handled 64.6M and HKG handled 53.3M people.

You're only 11M people short.

Agreed for once.

Quoting huaiwei (Reply 42):
Oh, and both the PRC and ROC officially believes that Greater China is one country too (with slightly different boundaries thou). So lets remove all the HKG-Taiwan data from the international statistics as well, which immediately chops off at least 10% of HKG's international statistics. Viola! LHR is the busiest international airport and Memphis the busiest freight airport again!

Salient points

Dubai immense growth based on double counting on an even bigger scale than at LHR.

jwhite9185

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:01 am

Quoting skipness1E (Reply 10):
Also it's not great on Pier One being under the flightpath of 26R.....

Slightly OT but at the LGW fair last week, i heard a police officer on one of the stalls telling somebody that pier 1 is going to be demolished due to this very reason. He didn't give a timescale though. Although I'm taking that with a pinch of salt...

mikey72

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:21 am

Quoting rutankrd (Reply 46):
Agreed for once.

I just let off a couple of huge rockets in the back garden.

coolum

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:56 am

Quoting jwhite9185 (Reply 47):

This should have been started already.
It's the main reason Pier 2 had a lot of it's stands renumbered, to accommodate more aircraft in anticipation of the Pier 1 closure. The work commenced when BAA still owned the airport.

Pier 1 is due to be rebuilt by the way after the demolition. From what I remember, this will then run North - South instead of the current East - West building.

[Edited 2012-04-29 02:58:57]
Coolum

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos