BrianDromey

RE: Irish 7/12: Up There Where The Air Is Rarified ...

Fri May 04, 2012 1:27 pm

Quoting DavecFlyer (Reply 97):
EI-CVA is sat in Hangar 6 at the moment and is for sale. It hasn't flown since a C check last year.

I'm not sure what the other one is.

Were -CVA, CVB, CVC, CVD rumoured to go to Amsterdam Airlines at one point? I guess if EI does get some/all of the ex BD slots at LHR they could revise the plans and expand the fleet, although I would think they would need more than 2 aircraft. I suspect that these UK routes would be relatively short-lived, but slots would be retained. Im not really sure what EI would bring to the UK domestic market that is not already there.

DavecFlyer

Fri May 04, 2012 2:23 pm

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 100):
Were -CVA, CVB, CVC, CVD rumoured to go to Amsterdam Airlines at one point?

Yes, I believe so. I guess Amsterdam Airlines were struggling for a while before they finally went under.

By the way, I mentioned my difficulties with Gold Circle on the last thread - I am now happy to report that all my points have been credited including the ones that were outside of the 3 month window.
ei,sf,fr,amm,cc,wx,bd,ba,ok,ua,ma,ay,re,cx,qf,fj,as,ac,az,adh,fua,ib,aww,km,aa,vs,nw,skb,cli,ne,kl,sa,ek,fi,lh,sn,af,qi,

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri May 04, 2012 4:37 pm

EI has announced its first dividend ... 3c per share, to be paid in July. FR - itself so generous with dividends (!) - has called it insulting. (My heart bleeds).

In other news, US will be downgrading to a 757 for Winter 2012/13; was a 762 last Winter. Service will be 6w.

kaitak
Topic Author

Fri May 04, 2012 4:41 pm

Aer Lingus's traffic statistics for April 2012:

http://www.investegate.co.uk/Article.aspx?id=201205040700177172C

Summary: everything moving in the right direction.

EIBoston

Fri May 04, 2012 4:53 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 103):
Summary: everything moving in the right direction

I hope so, that is usually the way I like my aeroplanes to go 

Phen

Fri May 04, 2012 6:29 pm

Quoting ein105 (Reply 82):
All of EI's 330-300's are the 'newer' ones, with the oldest having been delivered in 2007.

I'm aware of that  

Thanks Kaitak for your interesting reply!

Eagleboy

Fri May 04, 2012 6:52 pm

Quoting kaitak (Reply 102):
EI has announced its first dividend ... 3c per share, to be paid in July. FR - itself so generous with dividends (!) - has called it insulting.

They never specified how much of a dividend they were demanding........

bx737

Fri May 04, 2012 6:56 pm

The aircraft going are CVD and DET, both being returned at the end of their respective leases. CVA is for sale and I gather the replacement for it is one of the 2 A319s coming in 2013. I hope this helps. As stated above CVA has not flown since its C-Check last September and is stored in Dublin. I beleve the market is depressed for A320s at the moment with over 80 aircraft seeking new homes

shamrock604

Fri May 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Quoting Eagleboy (Reply 106):
They never specified how much of a dividend they were demanding........

Had to laugh at the comment from the FR guy on six-one this evening "An airline with decent profits, with over a billion in cash".... Which is it guys? A basket case heading for a break up, or a profitable company hoarding its cash? You cant have it both ways.

Given FR have paid a dividend about, oh, once, their own shareholders must be having a wry chuckle!

AmricanShamrok

Fri May 04, 2012 8:03 pm

Quoting EI320 (Reply 81):
Domestic routes ex LHR - a perfect way to burn cash. Hopefully sense will prevail on this one.

Quoting bx737 (Reply 107):
The aircraft going are CVD

Sad to see my namesake go. Hopefully we'll see the St Kevin name return on an A350!

eicvd

Fri May 04, 2012 8:13 pm

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 109):
The aircraft going are CVD

Sad to see my namesake go

Will indeed be sad to see CVD go  
COYBIB

OA260

Fri May 04, 2012 9:06 pm

Quoting eicvd (Reply 110):
Will indeed be sad to see CVD go

LOL.. welcome to the defunct user name club , I call it retro myself  

shamrock350

Fri May 04, 2012 9:19 pm

Aer Lingus Appoints Chief Technology Officer

Quote:
Aer Lingus today announced the appointment of Ravindra Simhambhalta as its Chief Technology Officer. Mr Simhambhalta most recently worked for Tesla Motors as Vice President Information Technology. He will join Aer Lingus in June and will have responsibility for the leadership of the Information Solutions and Services (ISS) team.

Mr Simhambhalta’s career to date spans three continents, bringing with him a wealth of global experience in technology innovation, gained from working in senior Director and CIO roles in the aviation, software and motor industries.
He has particularly strong experience of technology within the aviation industry having spent four years with Virgin America. He joined Virgin in 2006 during its startup phase and pioneered a systems architecture and infrastructure designed to drive differentiated customer experiences and support strong e-commerce platforms. He also spent a year in Dublin in the 1990s while working with GE Information Services.

Aer Lingus CEO Christoph Mueller commented, “We are delighted to announce the appointment of Ravi Simhambhalta as Chief Technology Officer. I am confident that under Ravi’s leadership, the ISS team will deliver innovative technology solutions to enhance the customer experience, drive commercial opportunities and support ongoing cost reduction in Aer Lingus.”
Aer Lingus,
04 May 2012

http://corporate.aerlingus.com/media.../pressreleases/title,14809,en.html

Aer Lingus have also added a 75th anniversary section to their website, it's got a few nice images. Never seen it before so it's nearly a year late, typical of the Aer Lingus website I'd say!

http://corporate.aerlingus.com/mediacentre/75thanniversary/

Quoting AmricanShamrok (Reply 109):
Sad to see my namesake go. Hopefully we'll see the St Kevin name return on an A350!

A St Kevin A350 sounds good but I'd be happy with a St Kevin A321NEO based at Shannon!

EIBusiness

Fri May 04, 2012 10:27 pm

Industrial Relations and other Issues aside: Today's announcement from Aer Lingus, combined with the recent announcements are indicative of undeniably prudent financial management that is to be most commended. I would argue that Aer Lingus' has demonstrated one of the sharpest positive financial turnarounds in the industry in the past twelve months - if not in explicit monetary terms - certainly in absolute terms. The recent launch of the Corporate website and the enhancement of publications, investor related disclosures etc. are all to be highly commended.

Very positive performance on T/A Business Class has been highlighted repeatedly and this is as a direct resulting of Aer Lingus finally adopting a more optimal, less rigid and incremental pricing model in the past 18 months, not only on Business Class fares but across the Operating network for the majority of fare types.

In terms of the Business Class product: I think that it is sufficient for East Coast routes at present - but on routes such as DUB-ORD it is probably less than sufficient - but not below par when compared to direct competition on the route for example. We must remember that the core hard product is not at all that old. I think that some of the ''finer'' aspects are missing from the Cabin, certainly not in terms of the service (in my experience) but in terms of the overall experience. The Business Cabin is rather clinical - (grey contrasting with green) and even with my minimalist perspectives aside - it needs ''sprucing up''.

From an Investor's perspective: ''Buy'' would certainly be my classification on EI stock at the moment, if it weren't for:
- The abnormal shareholding structure.
- Uncertainty relating to the Pension Deficit issue.

Moreover - while the EI performance is quite exceptional in the face of the continued economic adversity that plagues these shores (This Year will see a 4th consecutive Year of contraction in GNP) - the near term economic situation is likely to deteriorate further. All private consumption and business indices indicate that the majority Eurozone and EU area is now either in or entering recession. Forward looking PMI indicators confirm this. There is increasing risk of a ''severe'' shock to the economic system from a rising tide against austerity etc. Tonight: Ireland remains locked out of Capital Markets with IRL 10 Year Bond Yields at 8.2%. Continually soft domestic demand and inflationary pressures will adversely impact EI's performance in the coming near term. I would also caution as to how much more yield growth can be achieved - a very limited amount most likely.

All of those provisos aside however - EI has performed very well. One area that needs to be invested in now is Customer Service in the form of at least some on-board product enhancement. Notably: A confidentiality agreement has been signed with EY regarding discussions. To speculate wildly also: let's imagine that an arrangement with EY facilitated the transfer of aircraft type options - EI just happens to have an order for several large A350 aircraft that may be over-specified in terms of capacity....

EIBusiness
Vivo Per Lei...

OA260

Fri May 04, 2012 10:33 pm

Quoting shamrock350 (Reply 112):
Aer Lingus have also added a 75th anniversary section to their website, it's got a few nice images. Never seen it before so it's nearly a year late, typical of the Aer Lingus website I'd say!

Better late than never   I like the uniform over the years bit . Personally this will always be my favourite :

shamrock604

Fri May 04, 2012 11:01 pm

Quoting EIBusiness (Reply 113):
In terms of the Business Class product: I think that it is sufficient for East Coast routes at present - but on routes such as DUB-ORD it is probably less than sufficient - but not below par when compared to direct competition on the route for example. We must remember that the core hard product is not at all that old. I think that some of the ''finer'' aspects are missing from the Cabin, certainly not in terms of the service (in my experience) but in terms of the overall experience. The Business Cabin is rather clinical - (grey contrasting with green) and even with my minimalist perspectives aside - it needs ''sprucing up''.

You are correct, the core hard product is fine and can indeed be further adapted to complete lie flat if required. But yes, the cabin is a little clinical. Personally, i'm a fan of the clinical cabins (the A320 cabin is also clinical) because it feels spacious and light filled once above the clouds. However, comparing it to BA, or AF, yes, it is somewhat dull, but that is not something that would cost a lot to fix. I think EI probably need to go on a branding exercise with Business Class and learn how to actually sell it. Their current attempt on the website is rather pathetic.

Notably: A confidentiality agreement has been signed with EY regarding discussions. To speculate wildly also: let's imagine that an arrangement with EY facilitated the transfer of aircraft type options - EI just happens to have an order for several large A350 aircraft that may be over-specified in terms of capacity....

Well, now that is most juicy..... one would be delighted should, say, a certain Boeing Long Haul product be in the mix!

tonystan

Sat May 05, 2012 3:22 am

Laughing at the uniforms....my mum still has her late 60s hat AND the Thunderbirds are Go hat from the early 70s! I also think I saw the 80s beret stuffed into some drawer in my folks broom closet last time I was over!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

ei912

Sat May 05, 2012 7:25 am

EI just happens to have an order for several large A350 aircraft that may be over-specified in terms of capacity....

I like your thinking EIBusiness, this would definitely be a good option for EI to offload the perhaps unsuitable 350. And although difficult, DY have managed to source some 787's at a relatively late stage, so maybe EI still have an opportunity to change the long haul plans to a 788/789 combo?
That being said, I wish EI would make some sort of move re: a smaller jet or even another franchise to feed long haul, there is still sufficient time to build up much more connection possibilities before the (presumably) late arrival of the 350.

kaitak
Topic Author

Sat May 05, 2012 9:11 am

Quoting EI912 (Reply 117):
I like your thinking EIBusiness, this would definitely be a good option for EI to offload the perhaps unsuitable 350

I was thinking that EY might take EI's 350s, but they only have A350-1000s on order, along with 41 789s (the largest customer, to date, for the 787-9). I still think that the fact that EI has early delivery slots works to its advantage, if it chooses to go down the 787 road; the fact that AB has entered into a co-operation with EY on 787s is also interesting and perhaps EI might choose to do this. However, at the end of the day, I think EI will stick with the A350s.

BrianDromey

Sat May 05, 2012 9:25 am

I agree with you, I think EI have done a great job focussing on yield. Business class now accounts for about a quarter of revenue, despite accounting for about 10% of capacity, on a per-seat basis. It is in stark contrast to a few years ago when the viability of Business Class as a whole, was being debated here.

I think you are certainly engaging in wild speculation there! I think it's too soon to say for certain what will happen and at the end of the day 3% is not a huge ownership stake. That said, there are certainly some synergies EI could benefit from and of course widened access to the Ethiad network, possibly also the Virgin Australia network and even Air Berlin too, although I'm not sure what some of those partnerships would really add to the network as a whole.

Eirules

Sat May 05, 2012 10:23 am

I wonder could we see EI beginning to co-operate with AB to Berlin as part of this agreement? EI already have quite a strong German route network which could only be strengthened if they had some kind of partner there
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

ClassicLover

Sat May 05, 2012 10:54 am

EI just happens to have an order for several large A350 aircraft that may be over-specified in terms of capacity....

I've been turning around on the A350 for Aer Lingus recently.

The A359 is listed as 315-366 pax in a 2 class configuration (Wikipedia... yes, I know, I know). Considering Aer Lingus Business Class has been selling very well (and there is no reason why this should not continue), one would think the aircraft would have more than 24 J seats in EI configuration. Add to that possible lie-flat, and the capacity will be similar to the current A330s.

One thing EI should be doing is making some kind of deal with either BA or QF, or even EY or EK for flights to Australia. Sure, you can book it with a travel agent, but it would be nice to be able to put "Dublin" and "Sydney" (etc) into the Aer Lingus web site and purchase flights that way. If 50 people per day (I think that was the last figure I saw) were travelling to Australia, then surely it would make sense for EI to codeshare with someone for that amount of seats onwards to Australia.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

tonymctigue

Sat May 05, 2012 11:34 am

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 121):
One thing EI should be doing is making some kind of deal with either BA or QF, or even EY or EK for flights to Australia. Sure, you can book it with a travel agent, but it would be nice to be able to put "Dublin" and "Sydney" (etc) into the Aer Lingus web site and purchase flights that way. If 50 people per day (I think that was the last figure I saw) were travelling to Australia, then surely it would make sense for EI to codeshare with someone for that amount of seats onwards to Australia.

As it is, you can book flights on both the SQ or CX websites from DUB/SNN/ORK to many places in Australia via LHR. It seems odd that you cannot avail of this option on the EI website. The various agreements are obviously in place. Can anyone shed light on this one?
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

EIDL

Sat May 05, 2012 12:45 pm

You can also book via AMS to most of KL's route network from KL's website and, again, not via EI's.

Is this normal practice for any other airline with codeshare and interline deals to only sell seats to the other partner? They don't do it for B6/UA obviously but do for everyone else.

[Edited 2012-05-05 05:47:03]

tonymctigue

Sat May 05, 2012 2:59 pm

A bit of a setback for NOC

BMI Baby to stop Knock services.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0504/bmi-baby-to-stop-knock-services.html

I wonder could FR take over this route? It has been on offer from NOC for a long time. Thing is though, does NOC want FR to get into the kind of position where it has a stranglehold over them just like they had at SNN?
Airports: SNN GWY NOC DUB ORK BOS EWR JFK ORD MCI BOI SEA LHR STN CDG LYS FAO GVA HKG MEL ADL HBA

ein105

Sat May 05, 2012 3:01 pm

The additional EI Regional DUB-BHX flight is not For sale past June anymore, so I'd guess that they're changing the route to NOC-BHX

styles9002

Sat May 05, 2012 4:45 pm

Quoting EIRules (Reply 120):
EI already have quite a strong German route network

Strong compared to who? BA? Ryanair? According to some quick calculations, EI appears to serve 6 cities in Germany with approximately 62 flights a week on scheduled services. Also, no one destination is served non-stop more than twice a day (DUB-FRA/DUS)

EI certainly serves Germany with more frequency and destination than 10 years ago but suggest they have a 'strong' route network to Germany probably an overly optimistic assessment. EI does have a strong route network to the UK, but not to Germany in my opinion.
It is what it is.

Eirules

Sat May 05, 2012 5:12 pm

Compared to FR, EI have a much stronger network to Germany from Ireland. FR have German bases so you can't comrade the two like for like. I simply meant Germany is quite a strong market for EI. Outside of UK its probably their biggest market or a close 3rd to Spain. Far more so than France or Italy

ein105

Sat May 05, 2012 6:34 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 114):
Better late than never I like the uniform over the years bit . Personally this will always be my favourite

I think that was the nicest one. It was smart and tailored. The current uniform was nice when it was introduced, but it needs to be refreshed.

Quoting Reply 126):
Strong compared to who? BA? Ryanair? According to some quick calculations, EI appears to serve 6 cities in Germany with approximately 62 flights a week on scheduled services. Also, no one destination is served non-stop more than twice a day (DUB-FRA/DUS)

Its strong in comparison to FR ex Dublin. Germany has certainly grown in importance in the EI network. EI's UK network is really the only place that it is strong in comparison to other airlines. And in reality, with the Regional partnership, could become even stronger

ei912

Sat May 05, 2012 9:10 pm

Quoting tonymctigue (Reply 124):
A bit of a setback for NOC

[quote=ein105,reply=125]The additional EI Regional DUB-BHX flight is not For sale past June anymore, so I'd guess that they're changing the route to NOC-BHX

I hope you are correct EIN105, I would like to see EI / EIR expand more from NOC more than anyone. However, I would expect FR / BE to take up the route in the current market. BE and the Q400 would seem to be the more suitable a/c for the route, however it would be no surprise if FR jumped into the route with the 738 pullout. FR would certainly provide cheaper fares for the NOC market.

OA260

Sat May 05, 2012 9:16 pm

Quoting ein105 (Reply 128):

I guess for me it was the style when I first moved to Ireland and EI were phasing out the B747 and just got the new A330s. BFS was starting BFS-SNN-JFK and the memories of my first EI flight DUB-LHR in the then Executive Class.   Nostalgia....

TravelGuy

Sun May 06, 2012 5:19 pm

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 90):
MIA is the only possible I can see on the East Coast of the US, and it may canninalise MCO.

In that choice, EI would be better served focusing on MIA instead of MCO. MCO is low yield market, entirely fed from one direction (i.e. ex Ireland Mouse traffic) and very price sensitive. MIA at least offers the option of front of the bus traffic, much better onward connection options, and the ability to make at least some inroads into Latin American/Caribbean traffic.

Quoting kaitak (Reply 102):
EI has announced its first dividend ... 3c per share, to be paid in July. FR - itself so generous with dividends (!) - has called it insulting. (My heart bleeds).

Indeed it is odd to hear FR complain about dividends. There is what I can only describe as a "complaint fatigue" that arises when listening to all of FR's public statements. Ryanair raises a lot of good points and make some very valid public statements re: management and finance matters. However the rather constant level of complaints they make (wrt Aer Lingus), some that are just meant to throw a jab in like that statement, means that so much of their valid statements get lost in all the noise. FR stands to receive a check for circa EUR 4.77MM from this dividend. Nice to be able to complain about that! (then again they've taken a bath on share price, but that's another argument)

EWR, out of the question I think. UA wont give that one up, and I think NY does not need so much extra capacity at the moment, which would depress yields in a market where EI are already clear market leader.

I know this point has been debated before ad nauseum but I really feel strongly that one cannot use the phrase "clear market leader" to describe the position of Aer Lingus' Ireland-New York routes.

If one is referring to yield on the route, United holds the clear pricing power on their EWR routes with an ideal aircraft size, massive onward feed, and strong Mileage Plus affiliation. Aer Lingus's yield power suffers from having too many seats on the A330s to fill year round, whereas the US carriers can swap out different aircraft types to suit the season and demand. United also take the three-routes-to-two argument as well. Business Class traffic favors the US carriers as well. In terms of softer product offerings, there can be good debate on the leader though.

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 115):
I think EI probably need to go on a branding exercise with Business Class and learn how to actually sell it. Their current attempt on the website is rather pathetic.

Successfully selling Business Class seats on the transatlantic takes more than just putting your product up on a website and hoping it sells, or lowballing the market and hoping to build market share. Whereas the back of the bus is more specifically sensitive to price, business class requires a better understanding of corporate travel buyers' decision drivers, and a better understanding of how corporate travel management works in general.

Across the pond, corporate travel drives the majority of business class seat sales, and which tends to be higher yielding and more consistent. The general consensus is that EI lacks a proper understanding of this critical component of the market or how to work with it.

A few personal observations - If EI are looking at US East coast / Canada, i'm gonna plump for YYZ.

That would seem to make sense at first glance. Canada as a whole is performing fairly strongly in terms of economic/financial indicators, and Toronto is a sizable and relatively wealthy metro area, with a sizable ethnic connection to Ireland as well. However it bears noting that the economic engine of Canada has decidedly moved west in recent years to the prairie provinces, away from the traditional industrial areas of Ontario.

Montreal is a nonstarter in my opinion. They served it before (albeit ages ago) with very lackluster results.

Outside of Toronto and the West Coast, I feel strongly that EI will not go back to an airport where they have "failed" or face direct competition from another airline. Any expansion will be done cautiously to a "top tier" city where they avoid direct competition from a US major who could cut the market from them. When you go through the options with that in mind, there won't be more than a handful of realistic options. I would like Toronto's chances, but that is pure speculation on my part. If I had to make an alternate guess, SFO would be up there. Then again, they have been cautious in recent times so EI might just not make any expansion moves across the Atlantic.

captainmeeerkat

Sun May 06, 2012 7:25 pm

Hi guys and gals,

I have a quick question that I only trust the knowledgeable people here to answer!  

I'm returning to DUB next week for a visit to my family. At the beginning of June, I want to book flights to DME and return to DUB in the middle of August. Through a booking agent, it gives BD as the cheapest option.

My question, will BD still serve DUB (as BMI or BA) ? What will happen if they pull the plug? Do I get rerouted on BA or a refund?

Should I go with my usual LX or LH via the continent to be safe?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Rgds,
Cptn MK
my luggage is better travelled than me!

AmricanShamrok

Sun May 06, 2012 8:08 pm

A St Kevin A350 sounds good but I'd be happy with a St Kevin A321NEO based at Shannon!

Wouldn't mind that either!

--

An SAS Boeing 737-600 just landed at Shannon for re-painting at the Eirtech facility. It was operating as flight SK9115 from Stockholm.

eicvd

Sun May 06, 2012 8:10 pm

Quoting captainmeeerkat (Reply 132):

You should be safe if your flying in August, BD will operate there normal schedule up untill the winter timetable.
COYBIB

shamrock604

Sun May 06, 2012 10:21 pm

Quoting TravelGuy (Reply 131):

My reference to EI aa the market leader on the NY route was with reference only to DUB-NYC, not to Ireland- NY.

OA260

Sun May 06, 2012 10:31 pm

Quoting captainmeeerkat (Reply 132):

Your fine unless some drastic route cut on that specific route your 99% guaranteed of your flights going to plan. Had it been after October then it's another matter.

captainmeeerkat

Mon May 07, 2012 5:30 am

Thanks eicvd and OA260, always helpful and with good advice!  

Looking forward to getting back to DUB for a while and seeing aome green metal besides S7!  

ClassicLover

Mon May 07, 2012 8:36 am

You don't think that Aer Lingus might be the potential buyer for BMI Regional by any chance?

The thought struck me earlier today - it'd be very cheap for a start, gives some more access to the UK market and so on... there have been reports that there is an interested party. Possible?
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Eirules

Mon May 07, 2012 10:39 am

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 138):
You don't think that Aer Lingus might be the potential buyer for BMI Regional by any chance?

The thought struck me earlier today - it'd be very cheap for a start, gives some more access to the UK market and so on... there have been reports that there is an interested party. Possible?

With EI anything is possible, but I think it would be a terrible decision if they did. EI's LGW experiment should have thought them enough to demonstrate that EI's brand recognition in UK isnt as strong as they thought and running domestic UK flights would be a waste of money. EI have made good progress on becoming profitable again and need to follow that strategy - expand long haul, bring in smaller jets for thinner European routes and continue to look at European markets which they dont serve (personally I think there is more to be gotten from the Scandinavian market for a start)

OA260

Mon May 07, 2012 11:34 am

Not unless they intended to buy them and relocate to DUB and just use their A/C.

captainmeeerkat

Mon May 07, 2012 12:05 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 140):
Not unless they intended to buy them and relocate to DUB and just use their A/C.

A very good point - the mix of EMB135/145 might be ideal for EI to continue expansion where the larger Airbus aircraft are too much capacity.

However, I don't see it happening. EI are too cautious and perhaps that is the reason for their current profitability.

Ire2008

Mon May 07, 2012 12:50 pm

I highly doubt EI are looking at regional jets let alone BMI regional! Regional jets are too costly to fit into Aer Lingus' model.

Kevin

shamrock604

Mon May 07, 2012 1:56 pm

Quoting captainmeeerkat (Reply 141):

The EMB 135/145 are gas guzzlers. They only really suit a premium/high fare model. Much better go for the 170!

BestWestern

Mon May 07, 2012 2:21 pm

The 135 and 145 only really worked serving major hubs, and with the price of oil these days, I wonder if any 50 seat operator anywhere has sustainable profits. In Europe, AF probably has the largest set of 145s / CR2s and this may be pne reason behind their ever poor financials.

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 143):
They only really suit a premium/high fare model.

Austrian couldnt even make them work.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

Eirules

Mon May 07, 2012 2:49 pm

Anyone know why BA have uploaded the BD flights from DUB-LHR for point to point bookings but not for connections? If you try to book DUB-MAD or HEL you get EI flights but for the same dates if you just book DUB-LHR the BD flights are there?

Cabincrewifly

Mon May 07, 2012 3:15 pm

I was thinking the same thing, but its hardly worth buying a fleet or second hand regional jets and all the other problems that come with them
EI FR RE EIR IWD MA FUA

BestWestern

Mon May 07, 2012 3:20 pm

And you then inherit the whole redundnacy costs. EI doesnt need a second head office in Aberdeen.

If you were in need for ER3s, no doubt there are others who will pay you to take them away... buy 1 get 4 free...
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

OA260

Mon May 07, 2012 5:18 pm

Quoting EIRules (Reply 145):

Inventory is being transferred over so until the BA flight number is the primary flight number I expect connections to not be possible until then.

Phen

Mon May 07, 2012 9:24 pm

Came across these nice shots:

A6-EBC Boeing 777-36NER Emirates by elevationair, on Flickr

A6-EGO Boeing 777-31HER Emirates - 1000th 777 by elevationair, on Flickr

Hard to believe they're filling these every day along with EY!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos