jetjack74
Topic Author

The End Of The NWA Flight Attendant

Tue May 01, 2012 4:57 am

Tonight at midnight, The last shred of my NWA career will be gone
My clock number is retired and we become fully Delta flight attendants as the final piece for integration takes place tomorrow. I will fly with both PMDL and PMNW on the same aircraft, effective making Northwest Airlines flight attendants history.

Sad for us.
Made from jets!

airtechy

RE: The End Of The NWA Flight Attendant

Tue May 01, 2012 5:09 am

I understand the NWA nostalgia, but you well be getting the same paycheck, using the same procedures, and have the opportunity to work with a great new group of people....that goes both ways, too. The pilots have done it for a while now....except for the fenced ones...and I'm sure it will work out great for the FA's.

Delta has ex's from Pan Am, Western, Northeast, Chicago and Southern and others. NW has a lot of ex's also. This is just the latest in a long series of mergers. I wish you the best going forward!  

707lvr

Tue May 01, 2012 6:00 am

Did Bob Reardon make the change as well?

tpaewr

Tue May 01, 2012 6:05 am

@OP, I totally can understand where you are coming from.

EA CO AS

Tue May 01, 2012 6:13 am

Quoting jetjack74 (Thread starter):
My clock number is retired and we become fully Delta flight attendants as the final piece for integration takes place tomorrow. I will fly with both PMDL and PMNW on the same aircraft, effective making Northwest Airlines flight attendants history.

Then repeat after me; smoking...is not allowed...on any Delta flight....  
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

DarkSnowyNight

Tue May 01, 2012 6:31 am

Quoting airtechy (Reply 1):

Delta has ex's from Pan Am, Western, Northeast, Chicago and Southern and others.

They have people from Chicago and Southern still??? Wasn't that merger in 1953? Those folks would have to be into their 80s by now, assuming they'd have been some of the last hired there, and in their very early 20s at the time...
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

BDL757

Tue May 01, 2012 6:31 am

It is sad indeed to see the end of NWA. It does signal the finality of the merger and I hope that we can all work together and incorporate the good from both airlines into the new airline. It doesn't really matter who bought who, whose policies were better, or whether unions are necessary or not; the most important thing is that both companies are better off together than then would have been separately!

panamair

Tue May 01, 2012 8:11 am

If I am not mistaken May 1 only marks the first time that PMDL and PMNW FAs from the same base will fly together...since base transfers won't start for a few months, there will still be plenty of PMNW-only and PMDL-only crews since there are quite a few bases that were exclusively PMNW (DTW, MSP, MEM, SFO, ORD, etc.) or PMDL (ATL, CVG, SLC, MCO, SAN, PDX, etc.) The joint PMDL and PMNW bases, IIRC, are NYC, BOS, LAX, SEA (only satellite for PMDL) and these will be fully mixed on May 1. However it also looks like LOD positions may be open at some of these formerly 'exclusive' bases (e.g., I know a PMDL (ex-Pan Am) NYC Cantonese speaker who will be working DTW-HKG in May, even though that flight is staffed by DTW (hence PMNW-only) FAs...

luv2fly

Tue May 01, 2012 11:23 am

Sad to see this chapter end, having grown up in Michigan NW was my airline.
You can cut the irony with a knife

NWAESC

Tue May 01, 2012 11:28 am

My clock number is retired

I still have to use mine for a few things... for now...

Quoting tpaewr (Reply 3):
@OP, I totally can understand where you are coming from.

+1
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

delta2ual

Tue May 01, 2012 11:33 am

Quoting panamair (Reply 7):
If I am not mistaken May 1 only marks the first time that PMDL and PMNW FAs from the same base will fly together.

Right. June 1st base transfers have been awarded. Then, you will see PMNW from DTW in ATL, MCO and FLL/MIA for example. PMDL will be in DTW, etc. The June 1st transfers will mix things up quite a bit.
May 1st, however marks the end of NW work rules and such. All DL F/A's starting May 1st will have A-Days instead of straight reserve (if required at their base/seniority), the same pay, work rules, benefits, etc.
From the world's largest airline-to the world's largest airline. Delta2ual

crj200faguy

Tue May 01, 2012 12:47 pm

At least when I deadheaded on a dc-9 I knew I would be treated nicely. Sadly, those days are now gone.

WA707atMSP

Tue May 01, 2012 1:02 pm

Sad for us.

I agree 100%. As an ex-NWA employee (I spent four years in Building A), from time to time when I see a DL Airbus, DC-9, or 747, I still hiss at it.

Those airplanes should still have red tails!

stratacruiser

Tue May 01, 2012 2:29 pm

Quoting Darksnowynight (Reply 5):
They have people from Chicago and Southern still??? Wasn't that merger in 1953? Those folks would have to be into their 80s by now

Sounds about right for DL's long haul cabin crews  

strfyr51

Tue May 01, 2012 2:42 pm

If they've STILL got C&S then they still have Northeast too!! The Yellow Bird!!

jetlanta

Tue May 01, 2012 3:08 pm

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 8):
Sad to see this chapter end, having grown up in Michigan NW was my airline.

When I grew up in MIchigan, Republic was my airline. When my dad grew up in Michigan, North Central was his airline. In many ways, NW was a "chapter".

Quoting WA707atMSP (Reply 12):
I agree 100%. As an ex-NWA employee (I spent four years in Building A), from time to time when I see a DL Airbus, DC-9, or 747, I still hiss at it.

Those airplanes should still have red tails!

Time marches on. See above.

Besides, NW was wasn't staying independent under any circumstance. The question was which merger would it be. I think the important parts of the NW legacy...the network and the people, have fared rather well at Delta. Could the same have been said if history had taken a different course.

All that said, I do truly understand and appreciate the nostalgia. NWA was a pioneer.

FURUREFA

Tue May 01, 2012 3:24 pm

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 14):

I've met quite a few Northeast folks from inflight in BOS and NYC. I haven't met any C&S people yet.

turk223

Tue May 01, 2012 3:41 pm

Quoting Darksnowynight (Reply 5):
They have people from Chicago and Southern still???

Yeah, I was thinking that may be a stretch...

DTWPurserBoy

Tue May 01, 2012 4:06 pm

On the day my wings were pinnned on at graduation, the lady that pinned them on said to me (and I quote) "You have a decision to make. You can wear these wings on your jacket or you can wear them in your heart." On behalf of the thousands of men and women that have proudly worn those wings I can honestly say that virtually every last one of them wore them in their hearts. It is a truly unique relationship we have and I will take that to my grave.

Congratulations to all of my friends--both former NW and DL--as they move forward together in friendship and let the laughter continue for many, many years to come. All the best to each and every one of the over 22,000 Delta flight attendants worldwide. And special hugs to all of my friends in the Pacific Division--sometimes the really unsung heroes and the best of the best. Thanks for taking the time to teach us so many interestng and important things about your cultures and languages. It was a great 38 years.

I tried to get to DTW today to cheer you on but (wouldn't you know it) as an S3B I got bumped. Oh well...I am with you in spirit.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

HALFA

Tue May 01, 2012 4:07 pm

I am curious about the HNL flight attendant base. Did any pre merger DL FA's bid for HNL? Were any pre merger NW FA's bumped out of HNL? How many years of service does the most junior HNL FA have? I have had Sophia as the purser on several NW/DL flights out of HNL. Is she still the most senior FA at the HNL base?

Aloha,
HALFA
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........

DTWPurserBoy

Tue May 01, 2012 4:14 pm

Quoting HALFA (Reply 19):
I am curious about the HNL flight attendant base. Did any pre merger DL FA's bid for HNL? Were any pre merger NW FA's bumped out of HNL? How many years of service does the most junior HNL FA have? I have had Sophia as the purser on several NW/DL flights out of HNL. Is she still the most senior FA at the HNL base?

No one got bumped out of any bases. Transfers are awarded as openings become available and now everyone can go anywhere they want. Most people are taking a "watch and see" attitude while things are shaken out. Some, most notably PMNW folks that commuted out of ATL have put in and received transfers there. IMHO, JFK will be the place to be with the most interesting flying but lots of people say they want to wait until the new terminal is completed. But DL has marked DTW as their prime gateway to the Pacific.

Relatively junior f/a's have transferred into HNL over the past couple of years.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

GSPSPOT

Tue May 01, 2012 4:22 pm

Sad to see the last vestiges of such a storied airline fade away.... But pax can certainly tell when they have PMNW cabin crew onboard!  Wow!
Great Lakes, great life.

thegoldenargosy

Tue May 01, 2012 6:18 pm

There are no longer any Chicago & Southern FA's left. Bob Reardon is the most senior FA with a 1951 DOE. The next person on the seniority list has a 1957 DOE. The most senior PMDL FA had a '57 o '58 DOE.

rwy04lga

Tue May 01, 2012 6:47 pm

Quoting airtechy (Reply 1):
Delta has ex's from Pan Am, Western, Northeast, Chicago and Southern and others.

A ramper here at LGA was former National....then Pan Am....THEN Delta!
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

PagoFlyer

Tue May 01, 2012 7:20 pm

PM=pre-merger?
PM=post-merger?

JetBlueGuy2006

Tue May 01, 2012 7:23 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 20):
Relatively junior f/a's have transferred into HNL over the past couple of years.

This may be a slightly dumb question, but how long has DL had a base in HNL? Do they mainly staff the international flights or make turns to the mainland?
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

BDL757

Tue May 01, 2012 7:33 pm

Quoting PagoFlyer (Reply 24):

PM means Pre-Merger.

EWRCabincrew

Tue May 01, 2012 7:44 pm

I completely understand what you feel. This is my second merger with my airline. All you can do is wait, enjoy the ride and meet new people. Keep NW in your heart and DL on your sleeve.
You can't cure stupid

aloha73g

Tue May 01, 2012 8:27 pm

Quoting JetBlueGuy2006 (Reply 25):

This may be a slightly dumb question, but how long has DL had a base in HNL? Do they mainly staff the international flights or make turns to the mainland?

DL has had a satellite base in HNL since the mid 2000s. It is part of their Alternative Flying Program (AFP) and the FA's based here are all officially based at LAX.

Prior to this I believe that DL inherited an HNL base from Western. I am not sure when it closed, but I had a few friends whose mom's were former Western F/As flying for DL. Prior to the AFP, they commuted to LAX.

NW has had an actual FA base here as long as I can remember. They staff the Asia flights but I'm sure they do runs to the mainland as well.

I would assume that the HNL PMNW & PMDL FA bases have merged & are they are flying together as of today.

Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

gaystudpilot

Tue May 01, 2012 9:29 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 18):
On the day my wings were pinnned on at graduation, the lady that pinned them on said to me (and I quote) "You have a decision to make. You can wear these wings on your jacket or you can wear them in your heart." On behalf of the thousands of men and women that have proudly worn those wings I can honestly say that virtually every last one of them wore them in their hearts. It is a truly unique relationship we have and I will take that to my grave.

Congratulations to all of my friends--both former NW and DL--as they move forward together in friendship and let the laughter continue for many, many years to come. All the best to each and every one of the over 22,000 Delta flight attendants worldwide. And special hugs to all of my friends in the Pacific Division--sometimes the really unsung heroes and the best of the best. Thanks for taking the time to teach us so many interestng and important things about your cultures and languages. It was a great 38 years.

I tried to get to DTW today to cheer you on but (wouldn't you know it) as an S3B I got bumped. Oh well...I am with you in spirit.

Very nice note!

fridgmus

Tue May 01, 2012 10:52 pm

A little while back you mentioned in a thread that you were selected to work special charters etc. Will you still be able to do those flights?

F
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

FlyASAGuy2005

Tue May 01, 2012 10:55 pm

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 23):

When I was on the ramp, my supervisor also had a very long career. He started out with Pan Am at JFK and transitioned over to DL. Total service should be right @ 44 years. The most senior below wing agent in ATL has a hire date of 1967. Some of these guys TRULY love what they do

Now onto the topic, I read today that Richard donned an F/A uniform and worked an LGA-ATL flight today with a mixed crew. Help put away carry-ons (I hope the flight was full as to see the nightmare that has become gate checks) and served F pre-departure drinks and assisted with the Y cart service. Ive always said that the man should have went into polotics. I don't really mean that in a negative way but you have to know how to somewhat work the system. Especially in a leadership role such as his in this industry. I just kind of smh when I read about all the woes at AA and now United and their pilot contratcs. Everyone's all with this stuff about UA not wanting to be at a dissadvantage but if they really want a contract they would have had one. Just like how Jerry did and now RA. Swiftly and get it out the way. Some of these "leaders" has forgotten certain elements of effective leadership.

[Edited 2012-05-01 16:01:54]
What gets measured gets done.

CONTACREW

Wed May 02, 2012 3:41 am

Here's a video of 2 DL FA's (Who are Twins) who were given a chance to fly together for the first time in I believe 35 years anyway one of them is based in HNL and one of them is based in BOS. They both worked a flight to NRT from HNL upper deck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVCDWSQBJJw
Flight Attendants prepare doors for departure, cross check verify straps standby for all call

RyanairGuru

Wed May 02, 2012 6:15 am

Quoting CONTACREW (Reply 32):

Very nice story!

We're they PMDL and PMNW? Or simply never crewed the same flight before but coming from the same work group?
Worked Hard, Flew Right

delta2ual

Wed May 02, 2012 11:38 am

Quoting strfyr51 (Reply 14):
Quoting FURUREFA (Reply 16):
I've met quite a few Northeast folks from inflight in BOS and NYC. I haven't met any C&S people yet.

When I was hired in '94, our most senior F/A was from Chicago & Southern. She's long gone. Two of the top 10 today are from Northeast. I wouldn't post their names on a public forum, but suffice if to say that anyone based in BOS or NYC probably know them: one sells jewelry and the other loves Maria Callas! The latter actually gave me one of her NE pins when I left Boston. I treasure that.

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 20):
No one got bumped out of any bases

That's not entirely accurate. The ORD and PDX bases were forced to rebid in entirety because ORD was only PMNW and PDX was only PMDL and they wanted everyone to have a chance to get in if they so desired. The bids were worked in seniority order (of course) and those that live within 75 miles of the base were given preference. Unfortunately, one of my friends based at ORD (PMNW) was not able to hold the base any longer as the most junior F/A in ORD as of June 1st has a hire date of '89. No one was bumped from any of the other bases.
I also noticed from the list MANY PMNW F/A's from DTW amd MSP going to ATL/MCO/FLM. Conversely, quite a few PMDL F/A's are heading to DTW. It will be nice to have everyone integrated (and ready for the next merger!) LOL

DTWPurserBoy

Wed May 02, 2012 12:12 pm

Take a look at the Youtube video called "The Sun Never Sets on Northwest Airlines." It was actually produced and filmed by the nice folks at Delta in tribute.

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 31):
Now onto the topic, I read today that Richard donned an F/A uniform and worked an LGA-ATL flight today with a mixed crew. Help put away carry-ons (I hope the flight was full as to see the nightmare that has become gate checks) and served F pre-departure drinks and assisted with the Y cart service. Ive always said that the man should have went into polotics. I don't really mean that in a negative way but you have to know how to somewhat work the system. Especially in a leadership role such as his in this industry. I just kind of smh when I read about all the woes at AA and now United and their pilot contratcs. Everyone's all with this stuff about UA not wanting to be at a dissadvantage but if they really want a contract they would have had one. Just like how Jerry did and now RA. Swiftly and get it out the way. Some of these "leaders" has forgotten certain elements of effective leadership.

Having worked with Richard Anderson both at NW and later at DL I can honestly say he is one of the most approachable leaders I have ever seen in a major corporation. Every week he posts a message to DL employees on our Intranet site to keep us current on what is going on, problems with fuel, weather, a general review of performance for the week and where he has been traveling and where he will be going. The guy never stands still! He is in NRT one week, FRA the next, then off to MSP and DTW, DCA and BKK. He make sit a point to either visit himself or send our President Ed Bastian around the system so that everyone gets a chance to meet him, talk personally and ask questions. That's the way a CEO is supposed to be--not invisibly locked in a guarded office all day.

The offices of the leadership is a very non-descript little building on the ATL campus. One day I wanted to walk around the the DL Museum that is housed in a hangar there. It was a dark day, about to rain, so the lights were on in the offices and I saw him sitting at his desk as I took a shortcut around his building to get to the museum before the rain started. He looked out, saw me and waved, so I waved back. Makes you proud to have people like that running the show.

When we retired the 747 "Classic" a couple of years ago, he arranged for a farewell flight from MSP to BFI for any employee or retiree and their families that wanted to go. The first people to put for tickets got them and I managed to get two. We flew out to Boeing Field, landed, and were taken to a nice hotel in SEA. The next night they hosted a huge cocktail party with heavy ho rs d'eouvres for over a thousand people at the Museum of Flight. Then Sunday morning, we re-boarded ship 6624 for the last flight back to MSP. On takeoff, many Boeing employees were out on the ramp with cameras to say goodbye to an old friend so out of respect for these hard working people that built the 747 we blasted off the ground and did a major "wing wave" to thank the good people of Boeing. ATC gave us permission to do a figure eight over Mount Rainier before heading home that was truly spectacular.

How many airline executives in the world would loan their employees a 747 for a weekend AND pick up the tab for the whole thing?

EWRCabincrew

Wed May 02, 2012 1:56 pm

Quoting delta2ual (Reply 34):
The bids were worked in seniority order (of course) and those that live within 75 miles of the base were given preference.

A tad off topic...what do you mean "were given preference"? How is that in seniority order? Trying to understand the reasoning, especially when bidding is a seniority issue, regardless of where you live.
You can't cure stupid

DTWPurserBoy

Wed May 02, 2012 10:19 pm

Quoting CONTACREW (Reply 32):
Here's a video of 2 DL FA's (Who are Twins) who were given a chance to fly together for the first time in I believe 35 years anyway one of them is based in HNL and one of them is based in BOS. They both worked a flight to NRT from HNL upper deck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVCDW...QBJJw

David, the guy on the right in the video has been a valued friend since 1974 when we both started at Braniff International. I have pictures of us where we look like escapees from "The Brady Bunch." We laugh that we have to stay friends for life because we know waaaay too much about each other! Both brothers are really great guys.

And there are at least two other set of identical twins flying for DL out there as a result of the merger.

coachclass

Wed May 02, 2012 10:39 pm

Also very sad is that Delta pre-Western merger had the vast majority of the female FAs with beautiful southern accents . That unique feature seems to be gone with the Western, PA and now NW's mergers in the quest to become one of the world's largest airlines.

rwy04lga

Wed May 02, 2012 10:42 pm

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 37):
And there are at least two other set of identical twins flying for DL out there as a result of the merger.

Due to the DL/NW merger, my uncle and I now work for the same airline.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

stratosphere

Thu May 03, 2012 12:41 am

Sad for us.

Well good luck.. I kinda feel your pain.. I lost my NW identity in Aug 2005 after 17 yrs there. So even though I have fond memories of NW during my working years and all my friends my departure from NW was and is bitter. However, I do have friends of mine who are PMNW F/A's and others so for all you guys I hope it all works out..

b727fa

Thu May 03, 2012 12:45 am

I know it's difficult for the vestiges of your past, Emp #, sign-in procedures, briefings, etc to change. Thank you for sharing your feelings and thoughts. And on the other side of the sadness is the AMAZING amount of joy we have in flying with some of the most experienced aviation professionals in the world! We are SO excited to FINALLY be flying together.

On May 1st I saw numerous examples of newly "blended" crews with little gifts for each other--one PMDL guy had corsages for the three PMNW ladies he was flying with that day.

Changes are hard--and we're all going through them. Thanks for be here as we do!
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

ck8msp

Thu May 03, 2012 12:51 am

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 35):

What a wonderful post to read. Glad to hear that this merger really seems to be a success even IMO from a MSP perspective.

Ih8b6

Thu May 03, 2012 1:27 am

Sad for us.

Sad, yes. However, you've had a heck of a lot more time to prepare for this than many of us did. Time to move on. It's too bad. The people that can't get over it had plenty of opportunities - offered by the company...with plenty of incentives - to jump ship, but the economy blows so there wasn't much out there. But the company, they did their part, and gave people a shot. It's not so bad here. Give it a chance. If it sucks, maybe US-American or Southwest-Tran will be hiring soon.

Quoting crj200faguy (Reply 11):

At least when I deadheaded on a dc-9 I knew I would be treated nicely. Sadly, those days are now gone.

You've had a 50/50 chance of getting a PMNW or PMDL crew for a few years no matter what piece of metal you were so I am glad you were treated good on DC-9s. I am sorry that now that crews are mixed you are now going to be treated bad.  
Over-moderation sucks

delta2ual

Thu May 03, 2012 3:37 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 36):
A tad off topic...what do you mean "were given preference"? How is that in seniority order? Trying to understand the reasoning, especially when bidding is a seniority issue, regardless of where you live.

What I meant was for any of the AFP (alternative flying program) satellite bases, bids for transferring in are worked in seniority order for those living within 75 miles of the base, and then seniority order for those outside 75 miles. They give preference to people living there over commuters. If you speak a needed language, you may be able to jump ahead of others if they need your language. All regular transfers into the AFP's were given to people within 75 miles, nobody (besides language speakers) who live outside 75 miles were able to hole the AFP bases this go around. In fact, San Diego and Tampa had no transfers in or out.

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu May 03, 2012 9:49 pm

Quoting ck8msp (Reply 42):
What a wonderful post to read. Glad to hear that this merger really seems to be a success even IMO from a MSP perspective.

Still many things going on behind the scenes. MTC back office/stores are finally moving to one IT system. F/A work rules moved to one system/seniority list. The new Delta.com platform making it MUCH MUCH more user friendly will go live some time between Q2 and Q3.
What gets measured gets done.

TVNWZ

Thu May 03, 2012 10:17 pm

Quoting FlyASAGuy2005 (Reply 45):
The new Delta.com platform making it MUCH MUCH more user friendly will go live some time between Q2 and Q3.

Well, this I'll believe when I see it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos