UAL777UK

RE: New Livery For AA On The Way?

Tue May 15, 2012 2:15 pm

Quoting PRAirbus (Reply 1):
Yes, change it, modify it, update it!!! Most airlines do that after emerging from bankruptcy. Change is always GOOD!

I agree, there is a lot of changes going on at AA and they need a fresh look, rebranding etc. It does not need to be anything too over thr top but when they roll out the first 77W they have the ideal opportunity to start afresh so as to speak both on the outside and inside the plane for that matter.

speedbird217

Tue May 15, 2012 2:16 pm

I hope they don't change it too much. There were a couple of pictures in this thread where this silver-shiny-look was achieved with other methods, so it could be applied on the 787 as well with those techniques I guess.

Love AA's livery, it's one of the few timeless designs out there and it's very distinct. Would be a shame to see it go...

AKLDELNonstop

Tue May 15, 2012 2:45 pm

Quoting virgincrew (Reply 43):

That is indeed a very nice livery. Retains the old polished/silver look and makes the font and tail a bit more modern. I would really like to see that livery.

UAL777UK

Tue May 15, 2012 2:56 pm

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 49):
I highly anticipate that it will be changed whenever Smisek gets the boot.

I sincerely hope you are right!

rj777

Tue May 15, 2012 3:30 pm

How about the tail from that, but instead of stopping it in the middle of the plane, having the stripes run all the way to the front and around.....And American where it is now?

eaglepower83

Tue May 15, 2012 4:14 pm

Quoting rj777 (Reply 54):

How about the tail from that, but instead of stopping it in the middle of the plane, having the stripes run all the way to the front and around.....And American where it is now?

I concur. I think that would look really classy.

AirPacific747

Tue May 15, 2012 4:19 pm

I like this one .......

I don't like the red, white and blue cheatline.. some nostalgic airline geeks might love it, but to most people I would say it looks outdated.

AAMDanny

Tue May 15, 2012 4:30 pm

Not being funny... but American have a lot more important thing's to sort out first before faffing around with a new livery.

falkerker

Tue May 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Quoting dumbell2424 (Reply 12):

Thats one awful livery! Why dont they do exactly as they do with the aluminum airplanes, just leave the composite materials in their original colour.         

na

Tue May 15, 2012 4:49 pm

Sorry, but thats nothing more than a Cargolux copy,only that this time blue is above red.

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 30):

Please not.

bmacleod

Tue May 15, 2012 4:51 pm

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 5):
Not always....

Add AC to list....

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Philippe Samson

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jorge Abreu

The current livery is a little better..

View Large View Medium

Photo © Phil Broad

[Edited 2012-05-15 09:55:55]
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

iluvflywn

Tue May 15, 2012 4:59 pm

Treasure your relationships, not your possessions. ~Anthony J. D'Angelo

AADC10

Tue May 15, 2012 5:26 pm

I do not think AA has a big need to change identity after bankruptcy. While Ch. 11 is not good, the public is largely uninterested as all of the legacies have now gone through it. They will need to have something that will work on composite fuselages since that is the future of aircraft but there is something about the consistency of design that I like, unlike the other airlines that constantly switched liveries because the airline had received a deserved bad reputation.

AA had the A300 with its infamous composite tail fins and other aircraft with various surfaces that were not metallic or could not be polished. They were often painted light grey, which I would suspect would be the base paint on the 787.

qf002

Tue May 15, 2012 5:38 pm

I can understand the attachment that enthusiasts would have to the existing livery, like any classic livery.

But as a young person, I can tell you that my generation isn't interested in something that was created decades ago. We don't appreciate the timeless look, and this is a problem for AA.

I hate to say it, but people born since 1980 are the ones who are going to be buying high yielding corporate tickets on these planes for the next 30 years. They look at AA, with its tired looking, messy and scratched up planes and branding, and they compare it to DL, UA, US etc with clean and fresh looking aircraft and styling. Most people here would argue that it doesn't impact travel decisions, but it really does.

If it didn't, then airlines wouldn't spend millions on their branding (and nor would any other company for that matter).

AA needs a new livery, and they need it in the next few years... Something brighter and more modern than today's...

iFlyLOTs

Tue May 15, 2012 6:24 pm

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 56):

So then a euro-white looks better?

Quoting qf002 (Reply 63):

Other than minor things QF, LH, SQ, and AF have not changed their livery in ages but there's no one complaining about theirs. I really don't think business travelers care that much about what the plane looks like on the outside as much as they care about the service quality on the inside. Yes branding matters, but no where near as much as service.
"...stay hungry, stay foolish" -Steve Jobs

LU9092

Tue May 15, 2012 6:30 pm

Quoting iluvflywn (Reply 61):

I like this livery:

Yikes. Looks like something George W. Bush's campaign team would have come up with in 1999...if you look close, there's probably a sticker on the tail with Calvin peeing on an Airbus logo.  

virgincrew

Tue May 15, 2012 6:48 pm

Hello Beautiful !!!

virgincrew

Tue May 15, 2012 6:51 pm

What about this one ......  stirthepot 

Big version: Width: 1000 Height: 515 File size: 101kb

[Edited 2012-05-15 12:08:04]
Hello Beautiful !!!

AirCalSNA

Tue May 15, 2012 7:05 pm

This thread well illustrates just how difficult it will be to improve on the current AA livery. Sorry to say, but none of the proposed alternates is even halfway decent. The starting point for any new livery has to be keeping the Helvetica font for the titles, which are iconic. Additionally, billboard titles reek of LCC and must be avoided at all costs. The current US scheme was a mistake to begin with and should be dumped if there is a merger, which I think is unlikely.

rampart

Tue May 15, 2012 8:10 pm

Quoting virgincrew (Reply 67):
What about this one ......

Great. Now 4 people think they have an original idea... (complete with stir the pot emoticons)

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 30):
While you may be "stirring the pot", the second image there actually looks pretty sharp, with the exception of the mis-aligned tail logo. Bearing that in mind....
Quoting caleeiii (Reply 19):
Quoting dumbell2424 (Reply 12):
Yessir, yessir.

I find more enjoyment by reading the entire thread, doesn't anyone else?

I'd just as soon AA keep their original livery. Call me staid.. as if 60's and 70's liveries are staid.

-Rampart

JBo

Tue May 15, 2012 8:40 pm

Quoting AirCalSNA (Reply 68):
This thread well illustrates just how difficult it will be to improve on the current AA livery. Sorry to say, but none of the proposed alternates is even halfway decent. The starting point for any new livery has to be keeping the Helvetica font for the titles, which are iconic. Additionally, billboard titles reek of LCC and must be avoided at all costs. The current US scheme was a mistake to begin with and should be dumped if there is a merger, which I think is unlikely.

The bare polished metal look just doesn't look as classy as it used to with so many grey plastic parts dotting the landscape. A silver metallic look would be the best improvement to create a consistent identity with the 787.

I really like the US livery, a combination of the old US livery and HP. I do think it would work well with the AA logo, even if it isn't as "classy" of a look.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

Aloha717200

Tue May 15, 2012 8:51 pm

Quoting rampart (Reply 69):
I find more enjoyment by reading the entire thread, doesn't anyone else?

Perhaps you should take a second look. I noted the original image, stated I didn't like the font, someone else posted a similar one with the American helvetica font, I liked that, and created a version with a properly aligned tail logo.

I have to disagree with the folks here who don't like the current US livery. I've always liked it. And I feel it looks much better as an American brand than a US brand, because of the font. It looks sharp.

That said, I don't want US to merge with AA. And my ultimate preference is that AA keep their current livery, and use silver metallic paint for composite aircraft. All of the other proposed liveries here pale in comparison to that. But if American and US do merge, and they do decide to go with something other than silver metallic, I'd say the US livery with American titles is the next best thing.

[Edited 2012-05-15 13:53:15]

tsugambler

Tue May 15, 2012 9:05 pm

1) AA is NOT going to merge with US. It's just not gonna happen.

2) I've said this in threads on this topic before, but change for the sake of change is RARELY good. (Cf: New Coke) The current livery is iconic, and changing it will damage the brand, not enhance it. None of the proposed liveries above holds a candle to it in style or recognizability (if that wasn't a word before, it is now).

3) AA will not paint its planes white or gray. Going white or gray is just asking to blend in with the crowd, when in reality AA needs to stand out from the crowd. AA will use neither of those colors--if they are going to go the painted route (which they will, presumably, with more and more composite materials in use), then they will choose some sort of reflective paint. The only question is whether it will be metallic silver, or all-out chrome. (I hope they opt for the latter, if it's at all feasible.)

4) Having said that, the livery posted by iluvflywn in reply 61 nearly gave me goosebumps (or at least the back half did--I'd still prefer the standard American title and font). The sight of a huge silver jet with a giant American flag on the back soaring through the sky... well, let's just say I like it.

scbriml

Tue May 15, 2012 9:15 pm

Quoting tsugambler (Reply 72):
3) AA will not paint its planes white or gray.

AA already has large areas of grey paint on a lot of their planes.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

tsugambler

Tue May 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Quoting scbriml (Reply 73):
AA already has large areas of grey paint on a lot of their planes.

Yes... the tails, and some parts of the wings and engines. Not the fuselage (excepting the A300s, which were sort of orphan stepchildren). And yes, AA has had white planes before... and they looked as dull and uninteresting as you might imagine.

If AA foolishly paints their planes white or gray when other, better options are available, then they would deserve to be liquidated.

zippyjet

Tue May 15, 2012 9:45 pm

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 5):

Keep the change!
Another blatant example of good to bad:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ryan Kaskel
View Large View Medium

Photo © Giovanni Verbeeck

The former is simple, and timeless the second looks dated and the globe looks like a "special needs kit" designed it.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

Byrdluvs747

Tue May 15, 2012 11:24 pm

Quoting iluvflywn (Reply 61):
I like this livery:

It looks nice, but not for the entire fleet. I can see that as a "Salute to America" livery on one or two planes, but thats all.

But as a young person, I can tell you that my generation isn't interested in something that was created decades ago. We don't appreciate the timeless look, and this is a problem for AA.

By the time these "young" people are old enough to buy their own J/F fares or in a career position that pays for J, they will be mature enough to appreciate the stability and iconic nature of a timeless livery instead of expecting a new paint job with swooshes and bright kiddie colors every other year.

Quoting virgincrew (Reply 67):
What about this one ......

Wow! You're the first one to post that. Congratulations on your originality.  
Additionally, billboard titles reek of LCC and must be avoided at all costs. The current US scheme was a mistake to begin with and should be dumped if there is a merger, which I think is unlikely.

The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

ghifty

Tue May 15, 2012 11:45 pm

Quoting virgincrew (Reply 66):

Honestly, that's the best concept livery I've seen for AA. It's classy. Maybe if the blue swoop was lower, the titles (in Helvetica) could go above the windows (in white)..
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

Comments made here reflect only my personal opinions.

liftsifter

Wed May 16, 2012 12:06 am

PLEASE! I've had absolutely enough of the current scheme! I certainly hope that it's nothing drastic so that the entire fleet doesn't get flipped upside down. And then we get the excuse that "this type is leaving in X years, so we won't repaint."
A300 A310 A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A342 A343 A346 A380 B736 B737 B738 B744 B763 B77L B77E B77W B788 E190

BC77008

Wed May 16, 2012 12:34 am

You can certainly speak for yourself, but I don't think you're the spokesperson for all young people.

I hate to say it, but people born since 1980 are the ones who are going to be buying high yielding corporate tickets on these planes for the next 30 years. They look at AA, with its tired looking, messy and scratched up planes and branding, and they compare it to DL, UA, US etc with clean and fresh looking aircraft and styling. Most people here would argue that it doesn't impact travel decisions, but it really does.

AA's planes are not tired looking, messy, scratched up nor is it's branding. And no, it doesn't impact people's travel decisions.
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

rampart

Wed May 16, 2012 12:38 am

Quoting Aloha717200 (Reply 71):

Perhaps you should take a second look. I noted the original image, stated I didn't like the font, someone else posted a similar one with the American helvetica font, I liked that, and created a version with a properly aligned tail logo.

I did. The 2nd one posted was the one with the ham-handed attempt at the American typeface. The example previous and all subsequent ones are the exact same idea with slightly better fonts. Apart from fonts, it's not original, and I've seen it for several months at least, and maybe even since some wag suggested that the only airline remaining for AA to merge with was US, something like 2 years ago. I just think it's funny that four people have posted the same livery in one thread, or 3 1/2 if you consider the font update and logo alignment as a unique contribution.

-Rampart

[Edited 2012-05-15 17:41:30]

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed May 16, 2012 12:47 am

By all means, let's give a giant middle finger to the stockholders, creditors, and employees by coming out of bankruptcy and investing money in a new livery and paint scheme.

Sheesh. If it's absolutely necessary because of the new equipment, fine. Otherwise it's a waste of precious financial resources.

PWMRamper

Wed May 16, 2012 12:52 am

I like this one .......

This is sharp.

DocLightning

Wed May 16, 2012 12:55 am

Sure we do. On CERTAIN BRANDS.

McDonald's has never changed their iconic "Golden Arches." Coca-Cola has never changed their iconic script (more accurately, they never did away with it, although they have flirted with other fonts). The question is whether AA's branding is iconic enough to count.

I think that the font and the "AA" with the eagle are pretty iconic and should not be done away with. Similarly, the red/white/blue corporate colors are here to stay. However, it is possible to change liveries while maintaining brand continuity.

Besides, the current strategy of using matte grey on the non-metallic parts of the aircraft just looks ugly and gives the entire aircraft a patchwork feel. Furthermore, in spite of the fact that an all-metal livery is lighter, the cost of maintaining the polish still works out to more than fuel savings. It's not a huge effect, but it is real. That said, recent fuel surges might have erased that benefit, but as of 2008 this was the case.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ord

Wed May 16, 2012 1:16 am

Apparently a new livery and logo have been in the works for the past 18 months...

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...siders-change-in-oldest-jet-livery

ghifty

Wed May 16, 2012 1:32 am

Quoting ord (Reply 84):

New or revised?

One can argue that Delta's widget is "new" but, in my eyes, it's merely revised. Modernised and brought up to current "standards." Look at Delta's widget from the 1970s. It's barely changed 40 years later, but it has changed... it's still as recognizable as it was back then. Delta IS still Delta.

I'm sure AA will be able to find a way to still look like AA while modernizing it's appearance. It's just hard for anyone to envision because their livery has stayed unchanged for a loooooong time.
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

N766UA

Wed May 16, 2012 1:38 am

Quoting tommy767 (Reply 49):
I'm still puking over that UA scheme. It's still the worst.

Agree 100%. It makes zero sense to have Continental's [aging] livery with "UNITED" slapped on the side. It's confusing at best, and frankly I think it's insulting to both CO and UA. It sullies CO's image with United's name, and it robs United of their classic "U." Whoever came up with that idea (smisek?) is a complete idiot.

As for AA, I hope they stick with something silver and don't combine with USAir's livery. We don't need any more hybrids.

American 767

Wed May 16, 2012 1:41 am

Quoting tsugambler (Reply 74):
If AA foolishly paints their planes white or gray when other, better options are available, then they would deserve to be liquidated.

White, I would agree with your statement if they repaint their planes the same way the ex-Reno Air planes were repainted, but I think that gray, even a very light gray close to white, would look good. I really like the tail on the livery presented above on reply 66.
Ben Soriano

commavia

Wed May 16, 2012 1:43 am

You hardly speak for every "young person."

Having been born since 1980, I can attest that for many people - both "old" and "young" - AA's livery looks basically timeless.

The ironic thing - given your emphatic statements, and my allegedly "young" age (by your definition) - is that I actually find the logos and paint schemes of some of AA's competitors - particularly United (ex-Continental, post-merger) and USAirways - to be rather tired, unimaginative and stale looking. Frankly, I think the longevity of AA's paint scheme speaks volumes - to me, it still looks clean, fresh and modern nearly 45 years after introduction.

Now, I'll be the first one to give you AA's other non-logo/paint scheme branding and image. That is dated and needs updating. AA's fonts and style guide look very 1997. When you compare that with, say, Delta, which has absolutely fantastic branding and imagery in their print and media marketing, and on their website, and in their cabins and on airport displays/screens/signage, and with their new crew uniforms, etc., AA has some catching up to do.

But, on the flip side, as I have said numerous times, I still find in my experience that what AA may lack vis-a-vis their competitors in terms of branding and imagery they more than compensate for in terms of operational and technological execution. Generally speaking, I will take AA's IT systems, customer support, empowered and experienced employees (in the air and especially on the ground), and phone service any day over Delta's, United's or USAirways'.

All that being said - in my view, what AA needs is a marketing refresh, not a compete rebranding.

This thread well illustrates just how difficult it will be to improve on the current AA livery.

Couldn't have said it better. It will be difficult to improve upon something so classic.

The most I think AA's logo and paint scheme needs might be some very modest tweaks - but nothing dramatic. Again - AA needs a refresh, not a complete rebranding.

N766UA

Wed May 16, 2012 1:45 am

Oh, and as for AA as a standalone (which I hope it stays because US is a mess), if they're going to replace their iconic logo they'd better be damn sure they get it right. AA stands out in the crowd, and it's utterly recognizable, having used some variation of bare metal for what, 80 years? If they're going to change it they'd better hit a home run.

ghifty

Wed May 16, 2012 1:46 am

Quoting American 767 (Reply 87):
even a very light gray close to white, would look good. I really like the tail on the livery presented above on reply 66.

The skyteam gray is nice.
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

nutsaboutplanes

Wed May 16, 2012 2:07 am

Regardless of what happens merger wise, AA will have to change their livery for one very simple reason: The current, long- lived colors are the visual representation of everything that is wrong with AA inside and out......an absolute unwillingness to change or adjust to the realities of running an airline in the 2000's.

While aircraft aesthetics are important to us on A.net because we think they are cool means nothing. AA will have to attract investors who will be willing to provide AA with the financial capital necessary to emerge from bankruptcy successfully and that means that the company must undergo an attitude adjustment.....one of the best ways to do this is to embark on an aggressive advertising/ branding campaign that is fresh and not more of the same. Like it or not, these colors will change even if they remain an independent AA minus US.
American Airlines, US Airways, Alaska Airlines, Northwest Airlines, America West Airlines, USAFR

Beardown91737

Wed May 16, 2012 2:22 am

While some consider the Helvetica font "iconic" and timeless there is an opposing view which is that a new brand would say "we are a different AA now". I have only been on AA once, but it did not surpass the experience I had on any other legacy flight. We have all see the posts from disgruntled AA crew on here, and a new branding can disassociate the company from the times those feelings made it to the cabin and ticket counters.

I really like the current US scheme and the AA scheme is OK but I don't have an emotional attachment to it so some rebranding would make sense. At least AA isn't in a branding emergency like UA's nasty battleship colors were.

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 35):
13yo teens on a.net

I guess anyone who doesn't love the 1967 livery would be considered 13?

Quoting ord (Reply 84):

lots of effort going into something that could wind up being DP's call anyway
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

wdleiser

Wed May 16, 2012 2:47 am

Quoting Nutsaboutplanes (Reply 91):

They do not "have" to change their livery. I do not equate their livery to their financial situation, I equate shitty management and stubborness as to thinking "We are AA we can make it through any financial situation just fine... because we are AA" to their financial whoa's

Personally I do think they should change their livery but that is because I simply do not like it at all. It makes me yawn. Keep 1 of each type in the current livery, have a few more "retro" jets and for the love of god, do not have a livery that is similar to US Airways.

qf002

Wed May 16, 2012 4:10 am

Quoting iFlyLOTs (Reply 64):
Other than minor things QF, LH, SQ, and AF have not changed their livery in ages but there's no one complaining about theirs. I really don't think business travelers care that much about what the plane looks like on the outside as much as they care about the service quality on the inside. Yes branding matters, but no where near as much as service.

But those minor things are what have maintained a fresh and modern look... Things like tweaking the font (hardly a minor change IMO), adjusting logos etc have completely changed the feel of the brand and the livery. This is all I'm asking AA to do.

Quoting Byrdluvs747 (Reply 76):
By the time these "young" people are old enough to buy their own J/F fares or in a career position that pays for J, they will be mature enough to appreciate the stability and iconic nature of a timeless livery

Maybe.

Quoting BC77008 (Reply 79):
You can certainly speak for yourself, but I don't think you're the spokesperson for all young people.

I realise that... My post was a pretty sweeping generalisation, for that I apologise...

AA's planes are not tired looking, messy, scratched up

Are you kidding me? They looks great after a polish, but give it a few months and the metal has matted, is scratched and is dirty. It makes them look daggy and poorly maintained. That's really not a good look...

And no, it doesn't impact people's travel decisions.

Then why on earth do airlines spend so much money on branding and their liveries etc? It absolutely is key to influencing travel decisions, because it's about building a brand that people want to travel on.

While you'll argue that cost is the single thing people look at, this is simply not the case, especially when you're hunting the high yielding end of the market.

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 83):

Perhaps you should compare what a bottle of Coke looked like in the 1960's to what it looks like today. Or what your average McDonalds looked like 50 years ago compared to today. Both brands have innovated and refreshed their image constantly over the last 50 years, while still retaining their hallmark items/themes etc.

Why can't AA to the same? Freshen it up, do something a but more modern and broadly attractive. I am not arguing to get rid of the font, the logo and the colours. I think the best airline brands are the ones that retain their heritage...

Quoting commavia (Reply 88):
You hardly speak for every "young person."

Agreed. Like I said, apologies for the generalisation...

Quoting commavia (Reply 88):
All that being said - in my view, what AA needs is a marketing refresh, not a compete rebranding.

I'm not arguing for much more... A refresh livery (not one as radical as many other posters are angling for) to go with a fresh new image and brand.

This, of course, has to tie into major changes to the inside of their aircraft, their service etc. From what I can see, they've started work on this...

Georgetown

Wed May 16, 2012 4:26 am

Hey, in all honesty, how about this one?

View Large View Medium

Photo © John Padgett

Let's go Hoyas!

questions

Wed May 16, 2012 4:31 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 86):
Agree 100%. It makes zero sense to have Continental's [aging] livery with "UNITED" slapped on the side. It's confusing at best, and frankly I think it's insulting to both CO and UA. It sullies CO's image with United's name, and it robs United of their classic "U."

A better combined livery would have been the CO fuselage with UNITED in the pre-merger font and the pre-merger tulip U on the tail.

As far as AA, my bet goes for a slightly refreshed livery and logo and some sort of pearlized silver/white fuselage that will end up looking like a KitchenAid stand mixer.

DocLightning

Wed May 16, 2012 4:32 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 94):
Perhaps you should compare what a bottle of Coke looked like in the 1960's to what it looks like today. Or what your average McDonalds looked like 50 years ago compared to today. Both brands have innovated and refreshed their image constantly over the last 50 years, while still retaining their hallmark items/themes etc.

That's my point. It is possible to retain iconic branding without being anachronistic.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

qf002

Wed May 16, 2012 4:45 am

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 97):
That's my point. It is possible to retain iconic branding without being anachronistic.

Apologies for the misinterpretation... I was in defense overload mode  

aerohottie

Wed May 16, 2012 4:46 am

Quoting qf002 (Reply 94):

Why can't AA to the same? Freshen it up, do something a but more modern and broadly attractive. I am not arguing to get rid of the font, the logo and the colours. I think the best airline brands are the ones that retain their heritage...
Quoting DocLightning (Reply 97):

See i'm not sure the AA branding can be "refreshed". The current brand and reputation is in the toilet IMHO.
The difference with McDs and Coke compared to AA, is that those companies continually refreshed their branding and image and thus never allowed their image, branding and reputation to become delapidated.
IMHO I think AA should go for a fairly dramatic change, and have it tied to a larger relaunch of the carrier with new cabin interiors, crew uniforms and a major marketing drive... post bankruptcy emergence of course...
What?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos