Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

spudsmac
Topic Author

GoJet, A Career Liability For Pilots? Update

Thu May 24, 2012 6:41 am

GoJet, A Career Liability For Pilots? (by Aviateur Dec 6 2008 in Civil Aviation)

I'm at that point in my CFI career where I need to start looking at moving on and was thinking about GoJet. I don't want to this to turn into a circle j*rk, but has the general mentality towards GoJet pilots changed much since the original thread?

Mir

RE: GoJet, A Career Liability For Pilots? Update

Thu May 24, 2012 10:03 am

From what I hear, it's improved somewhat, but you're still going to have those people who will look at you as if you're crap for going there, probably because it's what they're used to doing and people like that tend to be very set in their ways.

I don't really get it myself - yes, GoJet did the profession no favors, but there are so many other regionals you could say the same thing about, and I don't see anyone calling to make that a career liability.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

DashTrash

Thu May 24, 2012 12:41 pm

I really don't think it's much of a career impediment. That being said you may run into some trouble jumpseating, but it will depend on the captain of the aircraft you're trying to get on.

If GoJet has a base that you wouldn't need to commute to, it could be worth it. Living in base is everything with almost every airline, and every base at almost any regional is always under threat to close should a contract go away.

The truth of matter is all regionals suck in some form or another. Go where you'll get the fastest upgrade, keep your nose clean and learn from the guy in the left seat. When you're senior enough to hold captain, even on reserve, take it, but only when you're proficient in the airplane and your decision making skills have developed.

Best of luck! Just curious where you live, and if you're willing to move?

spudsmac
Topic Author

Thu May 24, 2012 2:12 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking at GoJet because of the fast(er) upgrade time.

Quoting DashTrash (Reply 2):
Best of luck! Just curious where you live, and if you're willing to move?

I'm in PHX now and would be willing to move. I'm actually thinking about teaching at ERAU so I can get a MBA for free while instructing before I start at the airlines so I can move up to management easier. I'm torn on whether I should go to the airlines now or after I get the degree since hiring is really picking up. There was 130% turnover for CFIs at my current flight school last year! It's not due to working conditions being bad either.

Salukipilot

Fri May 25, 2012 3:49 am

Quoting spudsmac (Reply 3):
Thanks for the advice. I'm looking at GoJet because of the fast(er) upgrade time.

Haha good luck with that.

I wonder what the 2008 hires at TSA were thinking when they came to class.

Never chase an upgrade...especially at the cost of working for a crappy regional.
Frontier Pilot

BMI727

Fri May 25, 2012 6:34 am

Quoting DashTrash (Reply 2):

I really don't think it's much of a career impediment. That being said you may run into some trouble jumpseating, but it will depend on the captain of the aircraft you're trying to get on.

I would think that the number of those old guard haters is only going to shrink. In a decade or two regional experience (GoJet or otherwise) will probably be the rule rather than the exception for the career arc of a pilot. It will probably go from being disloyal or a scab to just being a case of paying one's dues.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

KAUSpilot

Fri May 25, 2012 6:50 am

Quoting spudsmac (Thread starter):
I don't want to this to turn into a circle j*rk, but has the general mentality towards GoJet pilots changed much since the original thread?

No, it has not. If you have to ask the question, then deep down you already know what the correct answer is.

seven3seven

Fri May 25, 2012 6:56 am

Yes it has. The original pilots at GoJet still have a stigma but now its just another airline. I base this on actually talking to both GoJet and TransStates pilots on my jumpseat.

Im more worried about you already wanting to get into major airline management through the pilot ranks. You should be more worried about being able to pay off your ERAU loans.
My views are mine alone and are not that of any of my fellow employees, officers, or directors at my company

Acey559

Fri May 25, 2012 8:11 am

All regionals suck. I enjoy my job but there's still a major gap between my job and that of a Delta or American pilot. I've jumpseated on G7 many times and spoken to a decent amount of their pilots. They're all nice guys and gals and I'm finding fewer and fewer people who really care about the GoJet "stigma". I went to a "good" regional that was planning on a bunch of hiring and I now live in constant fear of furlough because of bankruptcy. Do what you have to do, that's all I can say. Good luck to you and hopefully we'll all be flying around making a respectable wage someday in the not too distant future.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

cbphoto

Fri May 25, 2012 12:21 pm

Quoting KAUSpilot (Reply 6):
No, it has not. If you have to ask the question, then deep down you already know what the correct answer is.

I agree with this statement 100%!

Look, i'll leave my personal opinion out of the matter, however, keep in mind one thing. Most old farts at the majors right now, could care less about Gojet and the history behind it. Saying that though, a lot of regional guys know what Gojet did and have strong opinions against them. Fast forward life by about 5 years and a lot of these regional guys will be in the majors and some will be on hiring boards and stuff. They might still have strong opinions about Gojet and there pilot group, which could have implications on your future employment. Obviously I can't predict that for certain, but judging other forums and talking to other regional guys I know (especially strong union guys) Gojet is still not a well liked company!

Just my 2 cents though!
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

DashTrash

Fri May 25, 2012 2:23 pm

If I lived in PHX I would try for something with closer bases. Even if you don't mind moving....

lhcvg

Fri May 25, 2012 2:27 pm

I realize this isn't directly related to the employment side, but I have to give kudos to GJ for the flights I've had on them. I end up flying them each time I fly back home because they fly a CR7 ORD-CVG. And each time the crews have been very professional, informative a la mainline pilots (actually get on the intercom a few times with updates, have friendly rather than bored tone, etc.), and the a/c are quite nice inside. Obviously it's a small sample, but I was a bit taken aback with my positive experience given their negative reputation. I thought I would throw at out there for the flight crews.

PWMRamper

Sat May 26, 2012 5:06 am

In my experience dealing with many crews, from GoJet to TransStates and everything in between, there's still a bit of tension there, but not for the new hires at G7.

The initial guys? Definitely moreso, but anyone after that initial group, not at all.

I chatted with an AX guy for about 20 minutes, asked him about it. His, and many of his coworkers, attitude is that at it's hard to turn down a pilot job these days.

I've seen a Captain turn down a G7 jumpseater exactly once, in the 4 years I've been at work, and this was in late 2008. The F/O chatted with the Captain, and ended up convincing him to let the guy jumpseat. Haven't heard a peep since.

spudsmac
Topic Author

Sat May 26, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks for the replies!

Caspian27

Sat May 26, 2012 10:44 pm

I agree. NEVER chase an upgrade at a regional.

Anyone offended by that? I'd like to see one of my posts actually not get deleted...
Meanwhile, somewhere 35,000 ft above your head...

Acey559

Sun May 27, 2012 12:55 am

Quoting LHCVG (Reply 11):

A decent amount of their pilots are UA furloughees and former TZ guys (not sure if any of them are left, though) so that may the reason.

Quoting Caspian27 (Reply 14):

I agree. The industry is so dynamic that the place to be now is furloughing in a few months. Look at Colgan, they were going gangbusters a few years ago and now that whole operation (plus others) is down the tubes. It's sad but that's how the industry is.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

lhcvg

Sun May 27, 2012 1:09 am

Quoting Acey559 (Reply 15):

A decent amount of their pilots are UA furloughees and former TZ guys (not sure if any of them are left, though) so that may the reason.

That's interesting, and would definitely explain my experience. I had to remark on that because it's always been so striking that GoJet of all places is the one where it seems most mainline-like IME. The OO and XJ flights I take on UX are usually the standard bare minimum regional fare in terms of flight crew attentiveness and informativeness.

Cubsrule

Mon May 28, 2012 1:53 pm

Quoting LHCVG (Reply 16):
I had to remark on that because it's always been so striking that GoJet of all places is the one where it seems most mainline-like IME.

As a former STL resident, I have a lot of experience with G7, and I agree with your sentiments. I found the onboard experience to be consistently better than what I'll call the "regional average" and generally close to mainline.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

goboeing

Mon May 28, 2012 6:54 pm

Hey spudsmac,

I sent you a message. Let me know if you didn't get it.

futureualpilot

Mon May 28, 2012 7:16 pm

If you've got the times to get on at GoJet you can qualify elsewhere. I'd suggest a trip over to Jetcareers or airlinepilotforums where you can get a glimpse of how GoJet is viewed by current airline pilots. Don't chase an upgrade and don't go based on the experiences passengers have had.
Life is better when you surf.

cbphoto

Mon May 28, 2012 7:22 pm

Quoting futureualpilot (Reply 19):
If you've got the times to get on at GoJet you can qualify elsewhere. I'd suggest a trip over to Jetcareers or airlinepilotforums where you can get a glimpse of how GoJet is viewed by current airline pilots. Don't chase an upgrade and don't go based on the experiences passengers have had.

I agree 100% with this statement! I also agree with the "don't chase an upgrade" statement as well! Be smart about your career moves, especially if the majors is where you want to end up one day! Why risk it just to fly an RJ?
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

crash65

Mon May 28, 2012 7:46 pm

I'm actually thinking about teaching at ERAU so I can get a MBA for free while instructing before I start at the airlines so I can move up to management easier.

If your goal is to go into management, make it easy on yourself and stop flying today, get the MBA, and work in just about any industry outside of the airlines. If your still focused on an airline career, then keep to it, good luck, and NEVER mention to your coworkers that you have management aspirations. It will make your life/career much easer and more pleasant.

Good luck, regional flying was the most fun I had in my career, but I would never want to go back and do it again. As for Go-jets vs anyone else, I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Get the job, get the upgrade, never stop learning.

atct

Tue May 29, 2012 5:06 am

I have some buds over at GoJets and its not a bad place. No better or worse than most other regionals. As I give all my friends advice, take the first class date offered by an airline.

atct
Trikes are for kids!

N353SK

Tue May 29, 2012 4:28 pm

Blowjets requires 4500 hours for upgrade.

JBirdAV8r

Tue May 29, 2012 4:49 pm

Quoting futureualpilot (Reply 19):
Don't chase an upgrade

Upgrade times come and go at a whim.

A regional with a less than stellar dispatch reliability risks losing its contracts, even if they were the lowest bidder. That's another thing to keep in mind.

I really don't think you're doing yourself or the industry as a whole a favor if you look at a regional as a "stepping stone." Ideally, that's sort of what it becomes--but if you use that mentality to choose a workplace, you put blinders on and start accepting things that are otherwise pretty absurd.

Shop for a regional like you're going to be sitting FO for five years (because there's more than an outside chance you will...anywhere). Don't just look at base pay and upgrade time. Check out reserve rules. Quality of life is huge. Can you live in base? Look at the contract, if you can. Talk to pilots. How is the maintenance? Some regionals keep on top of it MUCH better than others. Doing multiple longer legs in a jet with negative RNAV because of a busted FMS gets old fast. These things are important to me.

And don't expect to get on well with your fellow Trans States people there in Bridgeton.

The bottom line is that I think there are some truly pretty good regionals out there. Make sure to look at all of them--and look at them all with the realization that you may be spending ten years or more there.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos