lasairlinerenth
Topic Author

WN "Old School" Livery

Thu May 31, 2012 10:39 pm

Hi Everyone,

Although I joined Airliners.net a few weeks ago, I have not yet started a topic thread of my own. But I saw something intriguing this morning that I am unable to answer definitively via searching through the current or old and archived threads.

I work on the campus of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV), which is just a stone's throw from McCarran International (LAS). When the airport is routing departures off runways 1R or 1L as often happens here, planes are just getting airborne as they are flying over the campus before turning to head off in the direction of their next destination.

At approximately 11:45AM to 11:50AM this morning (5/31/2012), I saw a Southwest (WN) 737 -- apologies, I could not tell whether it was a -300, -500, or -700 -- overflying the campus after departure that was in what I will term the "old school" orange and brown livery. In due course, the jet made a backtrack turn over The Strip and headed south. I had no time to catch the registration or to snap a picture on my I-Phone.

For years now, the parade of WN aircraft into and out of LAS has been predominately in the Canyon Blue livery -- other than the special schemes like Shamu and California One, etc. So I was rather surprised to see a WN plane in the old livery -- unless my eyes were deceiving me, which is entirely possible the older I get!

My questions are: Has WN finished painting all of their aircraft in the Canyon Blue livery? Does WN have aircraft that are in the "old school" livery as a special scheme? If so, how many?

Thanks for any responses y'all may have.

Regards,
Tony

southwest737500

RE: WN "Old School" Livery

Thu May 31, 2012 10:47 pm

WN has 3 aircraft in that livery and I believe there all on the 737-700
Next flight: TUL-ATL-CLT CRJ900 and MD88

Polot

Thu May 31, 2012 10:52 pm

Quoting lasairlinerenth (Thread starter):
My questions are: Has WN finished painting all of their aircraft in the Canyon Blue livery? Does WN have aircraft that are in the "old school" livery as a special scheme? If so, how many?

Yes, WN has three 73Gs in the old livery, to symbolize their original three starting cities. They are N714CB, N711HK, and N792SW. They actually differ slightly from the old livery, they don't have the white around the windows, they lack the heart and black beneath the cockpit windows, and the paint has a metallic gold color:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Giovanni Verbeeck
View Large View Medium

Photo © Craig McCorriston

AA94

Thu May 31, 2012 10:53 pm

Nope, you are correct. You likely saw one of the three planes that WN is keeping in the old "mustard rocket" color scheme. These aircraft are:

N714CB B737-700 Tribute to WN president Colleen Barrett
N792SW B737-700 Last aircraft delivered new in the old color scheme
N711HK B737-700 Tribute to Herb Kelleher, WN cofounder

The trio also represents WN's original three cities of service, DAL, HOU, and SAT.

Hope this helped! Cheers.

Silver1SWA

Thu May 31, 2012 11:07 pm

Quoting poLot (Reply 2):
Yes, WN has three 73Gs in the old livery, to symbolize their original three starting cities. They are N714CB, N711HK, and N792SW. They actually differ slightly from the old livery, they don't have the white around the windows, they lack the heart and black beneath the cockpit windows, and the paint has a metallic gold color:

Correct with the exception of one point. N714CB does in fact have the white trim around the windows. It is the sharpest looking of the three aircraft, in my opinion.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

lasairlinerenth
Topic Author

Thu May 31, 2012 11:08 pm

This is all awesome information guys! I can't thank you enough for helping me to fill in the gaps in my knowledge of WN's respective paint schemes. And I think it's terrific that they have the three aircraft identified by AA94 as tributes to their past.

Regards,
Tony

panam330

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:03 am

I'm probably in the minority thinking this, but I prefer this livery over the canyon blue one. It's full of character, whereas the new one looks kind of cheap, like a Crayola crayon. The old WN brown, not so nice - but this gold is gorgeous, especially in person.

Polot

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:22 am

Quoting panam330 (Reply 6):
I'm probably in the minority thinking this, but I prefer this livery over the canyon blue one. It's full of character, whereas the new one looks kind of cheap, like a Crayola crayon. The old WN brown, not so nice - but this gold is gorgeous, especially in person.

I completely agree, the metallic gold looks amazing, especially at dusk. I'm sure that it is expensive though.

micstatic

Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:31 am

Quoting panam330 (Reply 6):

I FAR prefer the old livery with the white around the windows. Though I like the original over gold. I feel like switching back at some point would be cheaper to paint than the current deep blue livery. Maybe I'm wrong. At the time they went canyon blue I think Southwest was looking to further extend itself as a true nationwide carrier. Now that they have done that in a major way, switching back could add some nostalgia to a big time player. Just my two cents.
S340,DH8,AT7,CR2/7,E135/45/170/190,319,320,717,732,733,734,735,737,738,744,752,762,763,764,772,M80,M90

rikkus67

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:41 pm

I agree with the other posters. The original scheme...even when faded... look much better than the Canyon Blue, ESPECIALLY when faded. US Airways got rid of the dark blue, Northwest & United (pre-merger) got rid of the dark grey...all because of fading issues. Interesting that the Mustard colour did not show anywhere near as bad of fading....

But, Canyon Blue it is, for now.
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

skycub

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:05 pm

Quoting rikkus67 (Reply 9):
I agree with the other posters.

I also agree. The brown, in my opinion, was much better than the blue.

The brown, at least, represented the colors of the desert and the American southwest.
My opinions are my own. They are not representative of my employer, my union or my co-workers. They are all mine.

futureatp

Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:42 pm

I flew on 792 a year ago HOU-PHX. Ive been a steady Southwest flier 20+ years now and that is still the only special livery aircraft I have been on with them. Or any airline come to think of it...

I have a question to add, and after working at Sky Harbor as long as I did I thought I would know the answer already but are there subtle differences in the shade of gold in the three aircraft? I vaguely remember reading it somewhere but, does one aircraft have more metallic in its paint? And, I never knew one had the white window lining.

ODwyerPW

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:21 pm

I like the gold w/out the white windows. I would love to see that on a 738Max or 739Max (one can dream).
learning never stops.

aztrainer

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:42 pm

I have a question about the Canyon Blue color scheme. I thought that WN moved to it because it was going to last longer, but it seems as they dull very quickly. What is the lifespan of a normal Canyon Blue paint job vs the old WN colors?

It even seems as the Shamu's black last longer than the Canyon Blue.

Quoting skycub (Reply 10):
The brown, at least, represented the colors of the desert and the American southwest.

We have blue here also, just look at the AZ flag and it is not in the summer when the wind is blowing the dust everywhere.

71Zulu

Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:09 pm

Does anybody know what was the last plane fly the old colors before being repainted to Canyon Blue?

And also the last -700 to be factory delivered in the old colors?

Quoting AA94 (Reply 3):
the old "mustard rocket" color scheme.

Mustard Rocket, lol hilarious!

Silver1SWA

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:29 am

Quoting futureatp (Reply 11):
I have a question to add, and after working at Sky Harbor as long as I did I thought I would know the answer already but are there subtle differences in the shade of gold in the three aircraft? I vaguely remember reading it somewhere but, does one aircraft have more metallic in its paint? And, I never knew one had the white window lining.

Yes, the three aircraft are in a metallic gold color, slightly different than the desert brown used on the old scheme.

Quoting aztrainer (Reply 13):
I have a question about the Canyon Blue color scheme. I thought that WN moved to it because it was going to last longer, but it seems as they dull very quickly. What is the lifespan of a normal Canyon Blue paint job vs the old WN colors?

No, actually the blue scheme has a shorter life expectancy than the brown livery. It had a few people here scratching their heads wondering why they would choose paint that wouldn't last as long. If I recall correctly, the old livery got 8-10 years (or maybe even longer) of life and the blue is more like 5-7 years.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

micstatic

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:03 am

well the AirTran merger has certainly caused some more stress for Southwest. I think it makes sense to go back to the future with the livery if it is cheaper.
S340,DH8,AT7,CR2/7,E135/45/170/190,319,320,717,732,733,734,735,737,738,744,752,762,763,764,772,M80,M90

beertrucker

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:36 pm

They Blue to do me does not mean Southwest. The Brown/Tan is what I remember from when I worked on the ramp at CMH. I do love the one with the Gold flake in it. Time to bring back the brown. I am all for that. I have flown on one of the three years ago MCO-ALB. When it was at the gate I looked down the termanal and thought how much better it looked then the Canyon Blue look.
Fly HI

neutronstar73

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:40 pm

I love the Southwest Airlines old school colors. I like the Canyon Blue scheme, too, but the old school really does it for me. I think they are the best looking 737s out there.  

With the Canyon Blue scheme in second place!  

catdaddy63

Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:42 pm

I, for one, would love to see a 73H painted in the gold. And any guesses when we might see a special livery 73H?

Silver1SWA

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:01 pm

Quoting micstatic (Reply 16):
well the AirTran merger has certainly caused some more stress for Southwest. I think it makes sense to go back to the future with the livery if it is cheaper.

What does AirTran have to do with this? Southwest isn't going back to its old livery.

CALTECH

Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:44 pm

All the talk about brown/gold 'old livery.' When I worked on them, their old livery had the pea/puke green soup colors. The change to brown/gold was great.

View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon Collection-Pima Air and Space Museum
View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

You are here.

chrisair

Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:45 pm

There's a Canyon Blue 73G with the yellow/brown winglets floating around. Saw it last week in Vegas. It looked a little strange.

micstatic

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 20):
What does AirTran have to do with this? Southwest isn't going back to its old livery.

Well, the merger is clearly running "over-budget" with all of the issues they have been having. I think this offers atleast 1 way to lower costs for the carrier. (Cheaper paint scheme)

warden145

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 20):
Southwest isn't going back to its old livery.

Thank goodness for that. I must be the only one here who absolutely couldn't stand to look at WN's old livery. The canyon blue may not be the best looking livery out there, but it's exponentially better than the "PukeAir" livery they had before.

Note that I'm speaking only about the livery; not trying to bash WN as a whole...although I didn't like their original cattle-call boarding system, I have to say that the new system works out quite nicely, and I've been quite satisfied with my last few experiences on WN...
ETOPS = Engine Turns Off, Passengers Swim

N8911E

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:40 pm

The original is my favorite.. And when I say original, I mean THE ORIGINAL ORIGINAL!!!
https://www.airliners.net/uf/166244/phpEyIXww.jpeg

jeffry747

Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:37 am

Just my $0.02. The old puke looking colors: NASTY! The brown/gold colors look beautiful when the paint is fresh and/or clean, but ugly when old and dirty. The canyon blue also looks bad when old and dirty, but looks amazing when fresh and clean.

Both liveries were meant to represent sunset in the American southwest, and in my opinion, were crafted to look their best when seen in the morning or evening light

View Large View Medium

Photo © Glenn Calvin

View Large View Medium

Photo © Mike Paschal

View Large View Medium

Photo © Matt Coleman - Nashville Aviation Photographers

C'mon Big B, FLY!

rduguy

Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:12 am

Quoting Silver1SWA (Reply 4):
Correct with the exception of one point. N714CB does in fact have the white trim around the windows. It is the sharpest looking of the three aircraft, in my opinion.

Per the picture in Reply 2, N336SW is actually the one with the white around the windows. If I am looking at it correctly.

Polot

Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:26 am

Quoting rduguy (Reply 27):
Per the picture in Reply 2, N336SW is actually the one with the white around the windows. If I am looking at it correctly.

N336SW is a 733 that was in the old livery. I used it to illustrate the difference in paint color between the old livery and the special livery. It is in fact N714CB that has the trim.

Silver1SWA

Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:43 am

Quoting micstatic (Reply 23):
Well, the merger is clearly running "over-budget" with all of the issues they have been having. I think this offers atleast 1 way to lower costs for the carrier. (Cheaper paint scheme)

The AirTran issues are relatively short-term compared to how long it would take for switching liveries to have any positive financial impact, if at all. Too many planes wearing paint that still has years of life left, you'd be looking at a decade before all aircraft were switched to a different paint scheme.

Quoting rduguy (Reply 27):

This thread is about three 737-700 aircraft painted in a slightly modified version of the old paint scheme. The photo of N336SW was used to illustrate the difference between the old desert brown livery to the special "gold" livery that we are discussing. Of the three 737-700s wearing this special scheme, ONE of them, N714CB has the white trim around the windows, the same kind of white trim that used to be standard on the old livery. That is why N336SW is seen with the white window trim.

I'm surprised this hasn't been done yet, but these are the three aircraft we are discussing.

N714CB

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Arcellana

N711HK

View Large View Medium

Photo © Andrew Compolo

N792SW

View Large View Medium

Photo © Felipe Garcia - PHX Spotters

deltal1011man

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:44 am

Quoting rikkus67 (Reply 9):

FWIW most airlines have dumped dark colors not because of how bad they look after a few year but because it is much easier to keep euro-white cool in the summer. The less the packs are work the more fuel you save.
I have heard the old US was almost impossible to keep cool in the summer on the ground.

I am a little surprised WN is still going with such a dark color to tell the true. I wont complain, not much of a WN fan, but its nice to have something that isn't boring and white running around. AA and WN are the only US carriers I can think of that isn't mostly white.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos