Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

n6238p
Topic Author

MDW Expansion, Satellite Terminal?

Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:52 am

I've heard from several customers of the Odyssey MDW FBO that they are closing their doors and are being forced out along with the national guard hangar and any other tenants in the southeast corner below 4R along taxiway Yankee. Rumor has it that a new satellite terminal is the reason for these movements. Now I have not read anything that suggests this is actually happening but I have heard these details from several different sources all saying the same thing. Anyone know anything about this?
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

Cubsrule

RE: MDW Expansion, Satellite Terminal?

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:00 am

Given the present terminal has a number of un- and under-utilized gates, why would a satellite terminal be necessary?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

elbandgeek

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:14 am

I remember at one point TZ was planning on building a satellite for their regional ops but those plans fell apart during bankruptcy and the subsequent shutdown of C8. I highly doubt there's any reason to build it now when WN is obviously never gonna be flying RJs

Cubsrule

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:17 am

Quoting elbandgeek (Reply 2):
I remember at one point TZ was planning on building a satellite for their regional ops but those plans fell apart during bankruptcy and the subsequent shutdown of C8.

Remember too that C8 operated from a pad on the south side for much of the life of the TZ hub. They bus boarded from an awful holding room below A10.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

fghtngsiouxatc

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:00 am

I'm sure Odyssey is shutting its doors because it can't compete with the two super-FBOs at MDW (Signature and Atlantic). Looking at Odyssey's website, they don't even mention MDW on their locations page anymore. I was actually on their website less than a week ago and there was a small link for the MDW FBO, but it was small and hidden. Odyssey may have already shut its doors at MDW from the looks of it.

On the note of building a satellite terminal, as other members have mentioned, there are several unused gates already at MDW. With DL rumored to move to Concourse C, WN will eat up a couple more gates, but the number of unused gates will probably stay the same. If TZ was still around and WN had the operation is has today, maybe there would be a necessity for a satellite terminal. Now that MDW is down to 5 airlines (whatever happened to Viva Aerobus?), I highly doubt they're going to even consider a satellite terminal.

MaverickM11

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:14 am

Quoting fghtngsiouxatc (Reply 4):
whatever happened to Viva Aerobus?

Didn't even last 3 months on MTYMDW...
I don't take responsibility at all

n6238p
Topic Author

Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:26 am

I should make a slight edit to my post as I was talking about the southwest side not the southeast. I'm not sure what the airport may be doing with this section of buildings. They may just be building a facility for vehicles or MX if they are making room for anything at all. I've used both Atlantic and Odyssey and while Atlantic had a lot more space, Odyssey beat the crap out of the other two FBOs prices. I do not see any reason for expansion in this area at all as well thus explaining my interest in this rumor.
To actively root against anybody is just low, and I hope karma comes back at you with a vengeance

KarlB737

Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:30 pm

It appears that LakeShore Express uses Atlantic Aviation for its flights from PLN to MDW.

Lakeshore Express

http://lakeshoreexpress.com

Reference to Atlantic Aviation:

http://lakeshoreexpress.com/flight-information.html

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos