Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

yellowtail

RE: The Valley - Caribbean Aviation Thread 99

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:47 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 99):
Would this mean that AA may fly B737-800 MIA-PBM 2-3 times per week soon?

Now that would be nice....I will start traveling to PBM in January and will do so a couple of times a year going forward. Would be nice to avoid POS...and I am not a real fan of PY
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

2travel2know2

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 100):
Now that would be nice....I will start traveling to PBM in January and will do so a couple of times a year going forward. Would be nice to avoid POS...and I am not a real fan of PY

You could get to CUR and fly 7I Insel from there.
As for CM to PBM.. most likely it has been studied @ CM route planning department.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

yellowtail

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:22 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 101):
As for CM to PBM.. most likely it has been studied @ CM route planning department.

well everything gets studied....but are they interested right now...IMHO not likely.

unless I am going to the other side of the world....i tend to avoid multistops whenever possible

A388

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:29 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 102):

unless I am going to the other side of the world....i tend to avoid multistops whenever possible

I think you mean multiple stops with different airlines, right? Because Caribbean Airlines doesn't fly from PTY to POS yet (allowing more conveniency by using one airline from PTY to PBM). By chosing CUR you will also have one stop along the way when using CM and 7I, just as flying via POS (using CM and BW).

A388

BE77

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:32 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 99):
Would this mean that AA may fly B737-800 MIA-PBM 2-3 times per week soon?

Direct PBM to anywhere in North America would really, really make a dfference.
It doesn't matter where to really, but MIA is certainly the most likely.

Probably the worst aspect of flights northwest from PBM though is that you can find a flight out any day of the week between BW, SR, and PY - but they all leave between 6:15am and 7:15 am (occasionally about 10am), but the next bank of flights is....wait for it....tomorrow morning at the same time. Same for arrivals - all flights from the NW arrive between 11pm and 1 am. So while it works not too bad for connections (not as well as you would think though), if you miss a flight / if it cancels, or anything, there are no options. I've spent more than the occasional day hanging out in CUR (excellent place to be 'stuck' for even a few hours), POS (not so good), MIA (blah - pay wifi, need lots of time to get anywhere interesting), BGI (good if time to leave the airport), and so on.
It also means you get to wake up at 2 am for the 7 am flight (1.5 hour to the airport, min 2 hrs before flight checking, hotel shuttles leave about 2:30 am - blah), all for the opprotunity to wait 2 to 5 hours for a cnx in POS or CUR.

So here's hoping that someone figures out the possibilities of direct PBM-MIA, although I don't know how that would work, as I think Suriname is FAA Cat 2 anyway, so as I understand it new direct PBM - MIA flights (there are none now) would be allowed only for US airlines...which might not go over well poltically at the PBM end.

Ironic though, with all the connections and such involved, it is generally easier and more convenient to get to Europe from PBM than it is to anywhere in North America!
Tower, Affirmitive, gear is down and welded

yellowtail

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:38 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 103):
I think you mean multiple stops with different airlines, right? Because Caribbean Airlines doesn't fly from PTY to POS yet (allowing more conveniency by using one airline from PTY to PBM). By chosing CUR you will also have one stop along the way when using CM and 7I, just as flying via POS (using CM and BW).

And to get to CUR from BZE either involves.....BZE-MIA-CUR or BZE-SAL-SJO-PTY-CUR....

A388

Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:42 pm

Quoting BE77 (Reply 104):
So here's hoping that someone figures out the possibilities of direct PBM-MIA, although I don't know how that would work, as I think Suriname is FAA Cat 2 anyway, so as I understand it new direct PBM - MIA flights (there are none now) would be allowed only for US airlines...which might not go over well poltically at the PBM end.

I'm not so sure about that seeing that PY already flies to MIA with their locally (Surinamese) registered aircraft (albeit via AUA and GEO). When was Suriname downgraded to CAT 2?

A388

BE77

Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:45 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 106):
When was Suriname downgraded to CAT 2?

You are probably right - I can't find the current list, but some references say they are CAT 1.
With the downgrade of CUR and BGI recently, I thought maybe being CAT2 was the reason PY does not run a direct PBM-MIA route. I would have thought that would be a good option instead of doing the connection through CUR or POS - at least to do the direct flight once or twice a week. I have only been on the PY flight a couple of times all the way through, so I don't know what percentage of pax are stopping in POS or CUR, and how many are continuing to MIA.

caribbean484

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:02 pm

Quoting BE77 (Reply 107):
Quoting A388 (Reply 106):

Suriname is a Cat 1 country, the reason why PY has to stop off another destination is because PBM does not meet that TSA security mandate after 9/11. The same would go for AA and any airline wishing to fly to PBM from the US.
I know the problem is being rectified hopefully very soon.

Honesty if AA wanted to service PBM it would have done so a long time ago without open skies, the same goes for GEO.
All ah we is one family

andrefranca

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:05 am

Ironic though, with all the connections and such involved, it is generally easier and more convenient to get to Europe from PBM than it is to anywhere in North America!

Yeah funny though! I've been doing a search return PBM-AMS with both KL and PY are average 800 USD, JJ charging that in brazil? DREAM ON
Quoting yellowtail (Reply 102):

You have a lot of options there in BZE right? but most of them bound to the US...

BW424
Topic Author

Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:03 am

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 50):
Care to elaborate?  

LOL, sorry for the late response......had a hectic week with work and well the Miami Heat win.....place has been euphoric past couple days...Anyway, just thought it interesting as I did hear a little rumour, but that has died a quick death.

CAL has a new Line Ministry, or should I say, its original and rightful ministry.......Ministry of Finance. It has been shifted back to Finance after the present administration moved it to the superfluous Transport arm. Also, Minister is Larry Howai, former CEO of First Citizens Bank for many years. He has made the state-owned bank a formidable name globally, being ranked the no.5 safest bank in the Western Hemisphere to invest in. So, there is a silver lining. What remains is a grossly incompetent BoD and diluted management.
It is what we think we know already that prevents us from learning.......

yellowtail

Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:17 am

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 109):
You have a lot of options there in BZE right? but most of them bound to the US...

Yes. Except for TA. CM is overdue   

BE77

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:12 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 108):

Thanks for the info which certainly answers why they stop elsewhere, etc.
The security reason probably then explains why work seems to be (finally) advancing a lot recently on completing the new PBM terminal - much of it has been built but not finished for about 4 years, but which for 3 of those years almost nothing was done.
Groundside the new terminal looks like it is almost ready to be used (which might mean next month or two years, another story though). So, they still only use the older terminal for departures, but arrivals (customs and bags) have been in the new terminal for a few years now.

Inbound

Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:30 pm

Quoting BW424 (Reply 110):
CAL has a new Line Ministry, or should I say, its original and rightful ministry.......Ministry of Finance. It has been shifted back to Finance after the present administration moved it to the superfluous Transport arm.

Can you confirm this? I would really prefer this arrangement if true.
Maintain own separation with terrain!

caribbean484

Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:54 pm

Quoting Inbound (Reply 113):
Can you confirm this? I would really prefer this arrangement if true.

Afrim Inbound, CAL will now report over to the ministry of Finance and hopefully a new competent management and board come along.
All ah we is one family

BW424
Topic Author

Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:08 pm

"Bankers hail Howai as Finance Minister"

Chief executive officer of First Citizens Group, Larry Howai, is T&T’s new Finance Minister. Howai could not be reached for comment but First Citizens in a statement confirmed: “Mr Howai has decided to be of service to the country by taking up this national assignment as Minister of Finance.”

Commenting, Ronald Harford, chairman of Republic Bank Limited said he was not surprised by the appointment. “We all know Howai has done an excellent job at First Citizens. It’s risen in stature under his reign. He is well-qualified. We wish him the best. Based on his track record he has great promise.”

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2012-...ankers-hail-howai-finance-minister

I must say, he would have been an excellent successor to Brunton as CAL CEO. He has extensive experience with state enterprises as FCB is state-owned. FCB is actually the epitome of how all state enterprises should be run.

He's Finance Minister now, but I don't think that guarantees CAL's board getting an overhaul. But, let's wait and see.......
I'm just so glad that two of the worst politically appointed misfits have been removed....that being nicholas and maharaj. Now, another 6 to go (board members) and CAL could finally try and start to rebuild.

A388

Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:26 pm

Quoting caribbean484 (Reply 108):
Suriname is a Cat 1 country, the reason why PY has to stop off another destination is because PBM does not meet that TSA security mandate after 9/11. The same would go for AA and any airline wishing to fly to PBM from the US.

Honesty if AA wanted to service PBM it would have done so a long time ago without open skies, the same goes for GEO.

That clears it up, thanks Caribbean484!!! I'm a bit wiser now 
Quoting BW424 (Reply 115):

Let's hope Caribbean Airlines can now get everything in order now.

A388

andrefranca

Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:01 pm

Quoting BW424 (Reply 115):

Let's hope for the best indeed! before that I was thinking "CAL is gone in 3,2,1...."  

baje427

Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:19 pm

Can you guys confirm when AA will discontinue DFW-BGI I see the flight still operates on Saturdays.

BW424
Topic Author

Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:42 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 117):
Let's hope for the best indeed! before that I was thinking "CAL is gone in 3,2,1...."
Quoting A388 (Reply 116):
Let's hope Caribbean Airlines can now get everything in order now.

Well, the major issue is the board and I'm not certain that it will be changed.

It is reported that CAL's cabin crews are having 3 night or 6 night layovers in LGW depending on the flight they operate. Must be an extreme financial drain.

2travel2know2

Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:09 pm

Quoting BW424 (Reply 119):
It is reported that CAL's cabin crews are having 3 night or 6 night layovers in LGW depending on the flight they operate. Must be an extreme financial drain.

Operating POS-LGW red-eyes and LGW-POS red-eyes would mean B767 lots of hours @LGW tarmac but the same crew would be flying it to and from LGW.
BW should check if that schedule is suitable for BW crews and the current airline needs of those B767.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

BW424
Topic Author

Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:07 pm

"Devant Maharaj: Lok Jack can’t advise me"

"TRANSPORT MINISTER Devant Maharaj said he is not taking any advice from former Caribbean Airlines (CAL) chairman Arthur Lok Jack or using a report developed by the board which Lok Jack chaired, in order to determine which routes the airline will or will not be pursuing under its merger arrangement with Air Jamaica. Maharaj made this declaration when he spoke to reporters following the launch of CAL’s Trinidad to Gatwick, London service at Piarco International Airport last Thursday."

http://www.newsday.co.tt/businessday/0,162096.html

When you read this article, it's a real blessing that CAL is no longer under him and AWAY from the transport ministry.

Inbound

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:38 am

Quoting BW424 (Reply 121):
When you read this article, it's a real blessing that CAL is no longer under him and AWAY from the transport ministry.

Agreed. 100%
Good riddance!

A388

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:29 pm

I haven't read much of the Air Jamaica operation in Jamaica, what's the status of this? Will Caribbean Airlines stop their Jamaican operation alltogether or partially or not? It was a hot topic a few weeks/months ago?

A388

817Dreamliiner

Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:04 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 123):
I haven't read much of the Air Jamaica operation in Jamaica, what's the status of this? Will Caribbean Airlines stop their Jamaican operation alltogether or partially or not? It was a hot topic a few weeks/months ago?

I guess no news is good news? But like you, im curious on whats happening with the Jamaica operation.
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

westindian425

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:11 pm

Quoting BW424 (Reply 121):
Quoting Inbound (Reply 122):
Agreed. 100%
Good riddance!

What exactly is the job of the Transport Minister?

I'm going to be armchair CEO for a bit and propose an idea to you guys.
  • LI, BW, TX, 7I, and 9H form some type of Caribbean or West Indies Alliance (someone can come up with a nice name for it...) -- more so the first three, but the latter two would be a good addition. While it would be advantageous to join one of the larger, well-established alliances such as OneWorld, Star, and SkyTeam, this would at least allow the region to start somewhere.

• With this alliance in place, concentrate the routes of these carriers to best utilize the hubs already well-established: POS, ANU, KIN/MBJ, FDF, PTP, AUA, and CUR. The respective airlines can have the routes that best serve their home bases, and allow for code sharing and revenue sharing to best suit connections within the region. This provides for better utilization of these carriers' aircraft.

• Let LI serve the OECS, SJU, and the Virgin Islands from ANU, while getting feed from BW from KIN, United States, POS, as well as connecting feed in PTP from Europe by TX.

• On the Jamaica side of BW, flights can flow to/from the US, Mexico, Cuba, AUA/CUR (in partnership with 7I and 9H), Central America, etc., better utilizing MBJ/KIN (and thus the Jamaica brand doesn't have to die, but rather be revived).

• With this alliance, the respective carriers can also code share on routes they share, which potentially can (not saying it's likely) open the door for routes such as POS-KIN/MBJ, POS-CUR/AUA, PTP/FDF-KIN/MBJ, etc., to be flown by both carriers and be profitable.
  • Along with this alliance, form a comprehensive FF program, allowing for more incentive for many to use any/all of these carriers for their travel needs.

I can go on and on with the spoke of the hubs of the respective carriers, but I'll leave that for others to brainstorm (I don't have much time to post this...lol). My feeling is this can bring more cooperation and financial stability (at least on the business side) within the region, and increase competition with the foreign carriers.

I'm done with the armchair CEO hat. I'll hand it over to you guys.
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

A388

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:35 pm

Quoting westindian425 (Reply 125):
I'm going to be armchair CEO for a bit and propose an idea to you guys.

LI, BW, TX, 7I, and 9H form some type of Caribbean or West Indies Alliance (someone can come up with a nice name for it...) -- more so the first three, but the latter two would be a good addition. While it would be advantageous to join one of the larger, well-established alliances such as OneWorld, Star, and SkyTeam, this would at least allow the region to start somewhere.

With this alliance in place, concentrate the routes of these carriers to best utilize the hubs already well-established: POS, ANU, KIN/MBJ, FDF, PTP, AUA, and CUR. The respective airlines can have the routes that best serve their home bases, and allow for code sharing and revenue sharing to best suit connections within the region. This provides for better utilization of these carriers' aircraft.

Nice idea but to start, 7I and 9H are competitors and in my view will not be working together in any way, let alone in the same alliance. Secondly, the hubs you propose are too close to each other. Having a hub in both AUA and CUR doesn't make the coverage in the Caribbean any better, on the contrary it duplicates unnecessarily. Having hubs in KIN, POS and CUR is a much more effective and cost efficient way of covering the entire Caribbean as you will have a triangular network with covers all three corners of the Caribbean. This will mean consolidation of routes and probably airlines which will probably be translated to consolidating the participating airlines as well as we see happening all around us.

The French speaking islands can also form part of such an alliance so they can have their activities centered in FDF/PTP. The French Caribbean and English Caribbean islands are really two worlds apart in my experience and they serve their own markets, nothing more. Especially the airlines of the French speaking islands are mainly interested in growing their own markets and don't really care that much about what's happening outside their bubble so to speak. Due to this, they can however be a nice addition to covering a truly Caribbean network that will cover all areas of the Caribbean.

7I and 9H also have practically the same network (about 80-90 percent of their networks is similar to each other). I see a bigger problem with combining or making all the airlines of the English speaking islands work together as they mostly serve the same destinations. Based on what I read here in the forum, I see a lot of difficulties with LI and BW co-operating and/or sharing markets they both serve. It would be like asking LAN to join forces with AV.

A388

[Edited 2012-06-25 10:31:09]

guyanam

Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:20 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 100):

Doubt it. If AA doesnt service GEO, which has vastly more traffic to the USA, I hardly see them doing PBM. Especialy as the bulk of those traveling are Surinamers who I suspect are quite happy to use the 5x week PY service.

PY does 5x to MIA. 3X AUA where you clear US customs/immigration, and 2x via GEO. No need to change unless JFK is your destination, in which case BW offers easy connections via POS. AA is not interesting in speculative routes at this time, so PBM (and GEO) are off the table.

Dont see this working as both CUR and FDF/PTP are parts of the EU, arent sovereign and so it will get quite complicated from a legal/regulatory point of view. So which authority will regulate this mega carrier? If there are issues between BW/JM, BW/LI and BW/PY I hardly see this much more complex arrangement working, and indeed the French Antiles are part of France, not the Caribbean.

In any case these islands are poorly integrated with the CARICOM nations so I dontr see why it will work from a business point of view either. While airlines might like hubs passengers dont so there is no guarantee of success with multiple hubs straggled all over the Caribbean.

An alliance that will be better is BW/PY/LI. With BW and PY operating joint code on some sectors to minimize duplication of services.. LI of course remains a separate entity with an operaing alliance with BW. It makes no sense for LI to merge with BW.

BE77

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:32 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 127):
PY does 5x to MIA
No need to change

I travel to PBM quite a bit (say 10* per year), and probably use BW 65%, 7I and PY the rest of the time.
BW mostly because of the POS-YYZ connection northbound.
When that doesn't work, it becomes a selection of who can get me where soonest, with the highest probability of success (all have left me delayed or missing connections!).
A direct service, non-stop PBM-MIA would be of great interest to myself, and a lot of others as well. Timing is tight enough that a lot of onward connections from MIA are missed because of the extra couple hours lost with the stop, especially if you will need (like myself) at least two more flights after getting to MIA.

Pre-clearence in AUA has no value for me personally since my mean time in an immigration hall in Canada or the US is under 1 minute - I love my Nexus card, especially now that it works at all GOES locations.

So - I'm still hoping for a direct flight!

2travel2know2

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:43 pm

Quoting BE77 (Reply 128):
I travel to PBM quite a bit (say 10* per year), and probably use BW 65%, 7I and PY the rest of the time.

Lets wish CM to fly to PBM someday and you could have the choice of YYZ-PTY-PBM, earning miles with Air Canada or United because Star Alliance.

I'm not on CM's payroll.

yellowtail

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:04 pm

I love my Nexus card, especially now that it works at all GOES locations.

Amen to the nexus card!

BE77

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:18 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 129):
earning miles with Air Canada or United because Star Alliance

I usually max out the *A miles by using AC for YYZ-BGI on the way south as it's the same travel time as any other route, and more reliable than most to get that far. flights to airports with more than one option.

Going north the connections usually don't work - sadly, this is only due to the POS home team rules that make it impossible to connect from any of the PBM flights onto the UA POS>IAH flight which is really more in the direction I want to go...and would get me home about 4 hours earlier. Any other *A flights usually mean I get home later - and I don't need miles THAT bad  

YYZ-PTY-PBM would be easier if connection times worked for sure - a little longer, but a single connection at an airport with multiple options in case of a delay is worth a lot in my world! Only a little bit longer distance, but no island hopping, so time would balance probably.

CM direct would be good for lots of other reasons though - mostly so Surinamese citizens could get to the west coast without having to transit the US, or anywhere else they need visas. We have snet people to Panama, Peru, Chile, etc., from time to time, and depending on the nationality, it can be a challenge to line up all the papers. Transiting PTY would help since at least Surinamese don't need a visa to transit (although they do if intending to leave the airport). Only consideration would be if there was enough traffic - perhaps on a weekly to 3X weekly service.

guyanam

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:46 pm

The issue is that PBM can't guarantee viable nonstop MIA service year round. If that were viable PY would have done that long ago.

2travel2know2

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:45 am

Quoting guyanam (Reply 132):
The issue is that PBM can't guarantee viable nonstop MIA service year round. If that were viable PY would have done that long ago.

If PY had tried MIA with origin in BEL or FOR another would have been the performance.

Quoting BE77 (Reply 131):
CM direct would be good for lots of other reasons though - mostly so Surinamese citizens could get to the west coast without having to transit the US, or anywhere else they need visas. We have snet people to Panama, Peru, Chile, etc., from time to time, and depending on the nationality, it can be a challenge to line up all the papers. Transiting PTY would help since at least Surinamese don't need a visa to transit (although they do if intending to leave the airport). Only consideration would be if there was enough traffic - perhaps on a weekly to 3X weekly service.

As far as I know, Surinamese passport holders don't need visas to transit PTY and don't need visas to entry into Panama as long as they hold valid U.S., Canadian or Schengen visas.
In an event CM does fly to PBM, pretty sure Panama would ease a bit the entry requirements for Surinamese, as Panama has done with Trinidad & Tobago, Jamaica and even Haïti.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

BW424
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:12 am

what's the status of this? Will Caribbean Airlines stop their Jamaican operation alltogether or partially or not? It was a hot topic a few weeks/months ago?

Nothing has really changed. Pulling out of Jamaica is certainly out of the question as the GOJ has a 16% stake and well, if CAL really wants to gain at least some critical mass, Jamaica is integral to that objective. One thing that appears to be sure.......all JM painted a/c will be repainted. The stupid dual-brand nonsense imposed by Nicholas finally caught up with the authorities.....JM logos are being removed from CAL painted a/c as well.

What exactly is the job of the Transport Minister?

The original purpose was to let a spoiled child keep is job as chairman of CAL. Now, the ministry is rather superfluous. It was originally Works and Transport and should be returned to that amalgamation.

SJOtoLIR

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:24 am

KL AMS-HAV will rise their frequencies from 3x up to 4x weekly next year:

KL 723.......AMS 11:00...........HAV 15:15............Mo, Tu, Th, Sa........330
KL 724.......HAV 17:15...........AMS 08:30+1........Mo, Tu, Th, Sa........330
Effective: June 03, 2013.

Regards.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

A388

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:55 am

Quoting BW424 (Reply 134):

Nothing has really changed. Pulling out of Jamaica is certainly out of the question as the GOJ has a 16% stake and well, if CAL really wants to gain at least some critical mass, Jamaica is integral to that objective. One thing that appears to be sure.......all JM painted a/c will be repainted. The stupid dual-brand nonsense imposed by Nicholas finally caught up with the authorities.....JM logos are being removed from CAL painted a/c as well.

Thanks for the update BW424 but is it really wise for Caribbean Airlines to get rid of the Air Jamaica painted aircraft seeing how Jamaicans apparently despise Caribbean Airlines? Won't they lose even more ground by removing the Air Jamaica colors? A 16% stake really isn't that much by the way.

I still hope they will retain the Air Jamaica colors as I still want to photograph it!!!

A388

BE77

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:59 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 136):
seeing how Jamaicans apparently despise Caribbean Airlines?

Probably a true statement. Repainting the aircraft won't affect it though since people still know what the story is.
Despising BW is an international hobby - in fact, it might be doing more to unite the region than all of the Official Missions, Caricom, and so on by providing common ground between different people. Quick, what does the average Trini, Bajan, Jamaican, and Guyanese have in common? (2nd best answer is really good rum)

Also, despising BW doesn't stop people flying on them when they have to (I present me as proof of my viewpoint).

yellowtail

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:15 pm

Quoting BE77 (Reply 137):
Despising BW is an international hobby - in fact, it might be doing more to unite the region than all of the Official Missions, Caricom, and so on by providing common ground between different people. Quick, what does the average Trini, Bajan, Jamaican, and Guyanese have in common? (2nd best answer is really good rum)

And we should support them...just like we do with other pan-Caribbean companies.....

Incidentally, I always amuse myself with all the rah rah "I only support the Jamaican / Trini company talk" when I visit the islands, yet i see them streaming in and out of companies they think are Caribbean yet are held by big multinationals. (Eg. Courts Caribbean being owned by SAL based Siman)

westindian425

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:47 pm

Dont see this working as both CUR and FDF/PTP are parts of the EU, arent sovereign and so it will get quite complicated from a legal/regulatory point of view. So which authority will regulate this mega carrier? If there are issues between BW/JM, BW/LI and BW/PY I hardly see this much more complex arrangement working, and indeed the French Antiles are part of France, not the Caribbean.

I thought the ABC islands were granted full independence. I might have been mistaken.

I wasn't thinking of merging the carriers to form a mega carrier. Just merely an alliance.

Quoting A388 (Reply 126):
Having hubs in KIN, POS and CUR is a much more effective and cost efficient way of covering the entire Caribbean as you will have a triangular network with covers all three corners of the Caribbean. This will mean consolidation of routes and probably airlines which will probably be translated to consolidating the participating airlines as well as we see happening all around us.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I should have said AUA or CUR instead of both. However, your points echo mine.

Quoting A388 (Reply 126):
The French speaking islands can also form part of such an alliance so they can have their activities centered in FDF/PTP. The French Caribbean and English Caribbean islands are really two worlds apart in my experience and they serve their own markets, nothing more. Especially the airlines of the French speaking islands are mainly interested in growing their own markets and don't really care that much about what's happening outside their bubble so to speak. Due to this, they can however be a nice addition to covering a truly Caribbean network that will cover all areas of the Caribbean.

Point taken.
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

817Dreamliiner

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:54 pm

Was browsing the Caribbean Airlines facebook page and found these:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7240/7356129190_8b91ded945_b.jpg
Caribbean Airlines B767-300ER (CC-CDP) by AeroArturoZ, on Flickr

the second 767 for CAL

http://www.gacetaeronautica.com/gaceta/wp-101/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/IMG_4548.jpg
winglets painted CC-CEB

I also found this article posted numerous times:

http://newsday.co.tt/letters/0,162240.html

Quote:
CAL moves dread over ‘locks’?

THE EDITOR: If you have “locks”, forget about being a flight attendant with Caribbean Airlines.

They've responded that they will investigate the matter.
Life is encrypted, you are modified, Like a virus in a lullaby, Artificial till the day you die, silly programme, You're corrupted

A388

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:06 pm

Quoting BE77 (Reply 137):
Probably a true statement. Repainting the aircraft won't affect it though since people still know what the story is.
Despising BW is an international hobby - in fact, it might be doing more to unite the region than all of the Official Missions, Caricom, and so on by providing common ground between different people.
Quoting yellowtail (Reply 138):
And we should support them...just like we do with other pan-Caribbean companies.....

Good points, I was just repeating what I have read so far in the forum. The Trinidad/Jamaica discussions have amazed me but as I have said every time, I wish them both the best of luck and I hope I can still photograph those Air Jamaica 738's in a few years.

A388

guyanam

Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:00 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 133):

PY already has a MIA PBM BEL service. If there is not viable traffic to FOR from PBM then it makes no sense to service that city as there will not be enough thru service from MIA to fill the plane. I vaguely remember, though I might be wrong, that some airline tried MIA FOR service some time back. Apparently it didnt work. This carrier would have been either a brand name US or Brazilian carrier. If I am correct, clearly better able to develop this market than a tiny struggling Surinamese airline.

Quoting BW424 (Reply 134):

The KIN base has been cut as far as it can be, with much of its overheads now consolidated with BWs main operations. If this base continues to lose $30MM it is not sustainable. Even though the PPP is more CARICOM friendly than the JLP the Jcan govt has massive financial difficulties and has no money to subsidize these routes if they continue to be money losers. GORTT cant do it either as even T&T now has its budgetary issues and T&T taxpayers will be deeply hostile to $$$ being spent to subsidize another CARICOM nation.

And please dont attach any importance to the 16% holding. IF BW loses $ it has no value, and Jca is certainly not going to contribute 16% of any govt bail out that CAL might need.

In an case why waste $$$ to repaint the planes? How will this improve the financial performance of the KIN operations? What is done is done. And you do know that many Jcans have threatened to bolt once "Air Jamaica" has been removed. With Jetblue being quite aggressive to attract their patronage........what can I say. Given that BW does almost no marketing how is this dual brand financially draining? The reservations, ground and maintenance engineering has already been gutted so really where is the duplication in areas where costs are incurred?

And as to critical mass....well this is fast disappearing as the KIN base has been cut back.

BW has to regain its status as the largest carrier to Jamaica out of the USA by winning back those Jcans who have fled. As of now many only stay beause of the more liberal baggage allowance.

andrefranca

Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:50 pm

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 138):

Although I'm not caribbean I try to support caribbean goods! better BW than AA where most of employees can't even point your island on the map.

Quoting westindian425 (Reply 139):
I thought the ABC islands were granted full independence. I might have been mistaken.

I don't even like to think about it, full independence to certain dutch caribbean islands could be catastrophic, that's the why SAB EUX and BON had their doubts and after some time, have decided to pull out of Netherlands Antilles and return to "mother Holland"...

BTW guys was posted on a another forum, Bahamasair has received their second "new" 737

http://skyliner-aviation.de/regdb.main?LC=nav4&page=3

Inbound

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:07 pm

Quoting guyanam (Reply 142):
In an case why waste $$$ to repaint the planes? How will this improve the financial performance of the KIN operations?

I think this has to do with the audit. They cannot have 2 "brands" under one AOC. That's why they are removing the JM stickers from the original CAL planes.

A388

Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:54 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 143):
that's the why SAB EUX and BON had their doubts and after some time, have decided to pull out of Netherlands Antilles and return to "mother Holland"...

SAB, EUX and BON aren't exactly happy now either.

A388

andrefranca

Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:20 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 145):

at the moment they have many choices? I don't think so, unless they become Singapore-like islands!

A388

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:13 pm

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 146):
at the moment they have many choices? I don't think so, unless they become Singapore-like islands!

Yes, they have choices. That's what democracy is all about.

A388

guyanam

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:38 pm

Quoting Inbound (Reply 144):
CAL moves dread over ‘locks’?

Well which "intelligent" person under the Lok Jack regime didnt know about the AOC limitations. Before any one pretends as if the dual brand idea is new I will remind them of the tagline "On the way to one Caribbean Airline" with TWO brands clearly linked, and with a temporary Jamaican brand to temper the disappoint felt by many patriots that the "Little Piece of Jamaica which flies" had its wings clipped.

trintocan

Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:44 pm

Dont see this working as both CUR and FDF/PTP are parts of the EU, arent sovereign and so it will get quite complicated from a legal/regulatory point of view.

Slightly off aviation but relevant to the present discussions. CUR is not in the EU but FDF and PTP are. The last few years have seen a number of changes among the Dutch and French Islands. On the Dutch side, The Netherlands Antilles are no more. Aruba left back in 1986 and gained a separate status as an associated part of The Netherlands - i.e. it gained an individual status as a country of The Netherlands paralleling that of The Netherlands Antilles. More recently Curacao and St. Maarten became associated component countries of The Netherlands in their own rights while Bonaire, Saba and St. Eustatius together became part of The Netherlands proper, under the name The Netherlands Caribbean. It is thus ironic that this thread was dedicated to Anguilla and features a map at the start, a glimpse of the map should clarify things. Thus the Kingdom of the Netherlands comprises four countries - Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten and The Netherlands (including The Netherlands Caribbean). Only The Netherlands Caribbean is part of the EU, not CUR, AUA or SXM.

Over on the French side similar developments took place around 3 years ago with respect to Guadeloupe's dependencies. St. Barts and St. Martin became Overseas Collectivities of France, a status similar to that of St. Pierre & Miquelon or French Polynesia (Tahiti). They are thus French-owned territories with measures of autonomy but not integral parts of France. St. Martin remains in the EU though. Guadeloupe remains a Department d'Outre Mer and thus fully part of France and the EU. Again that map comes in useful - note the maritime border between St. Barts and St Martin which would not have existed prior to 2009.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!