Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

eaa3

RE: Norwegian Firms Up 100 A320neo Order

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:16 am

Quoting LN-KGL (Reply 49):
But what about their B788s then eaa3?

Like I said this is just a random idea that I have no reason to think might be reasonable. They´ll probably do something else. This is just what I think they should do.

With the B787 you could do a lot more from KEF. Add hub-and-spoke between North America and India and more places in Eurasia as well as destinations on the West Coast. Iceland is an unbeatable location for an LCC transatlantic hub-and-spoke system.

I've always found Norwegians 787 strategy to be strange. Let's keep in mind that SAS only has 11 long range planes (A330's and A340's) that operate from Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen. Norwegian plans to operate 8 787's from Oslo. Maybe they'll deploy them to Stockholm and Copenhagen as well but this is a huge fleet given today's long haul operations from these airports. And I don't see Oslo as a great place to connect if your going to mainland Europe. It's a bit out of the way. So I think that 8 planes is a bit much if your not planning to connect passengers to outside of Scandinavia.

I do however think that Norwegian is genuine in their intention to use their 787's from Oslo. I just think it's a little to optimistic. Keep in mind that most of SAS's losses come from their long haul operations.

Again with regard to KEF I'm just putting an idea out there that I have no reason to think that it's reasonable.

I don't wish, however, to hijack this thread with unrelated speculation.

[Edited 2012-06-11 17:17:15]

Mortyman

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:38 am

Quoting eaa3 (Reply 50):
I've always found Norwegians 787 strategy to be strange. Let's keep in mind that SAS only has 11 long range planes (A330's and A340's) that operate from Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen. Norwegian plans to operate 8 787's from Oslo. Maybe they'll deploy them to Stockholm and Copenhagen as well but this is a huge fleet given today's long haul operations from these airports. And I don't see Oslo as a great place to connect if your going to mainland Europe. It's a bit out of the way. So I think that 8 planes is a bit much if your not planning to connect passengers to outside of Scandinavia.

The 8 787 8's that they have on order is only what they have gotten their hands on at the moment. The CEO has indicated a number of 20 if everything is going well. The problem for Norwegian is that they have'nt been able to find enough 787's fast enough.

AirlineCritic

Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:10 am

Quoting eaa3 (Reply 50):
Let's keep in mind that SAS only has 11 long range planes (A330's and A340's) that operate from Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen. Norwegian plans to operate 8 787's from Oslo. Maybe they'll deploy them to Stockholm and Copenhagen as well but this is a huge fleet given today's long haul operations from these airports.

SK may not be the best comparison point. Most people flying long-haul out of Scandinavia select other carriers, BA, LH, AY. AY alone has 15 long-haul planes from one city. With a proper business plan, 8 aircraft is actually a very small number.

In any case, I love your Reykjavik idea. Lets hope they do it!

Burkhard

Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:24 am

Isn't Norwegian the low cost arm of the Air France group in Europe? Did I only dream this?

teme82

Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:48 am

Quoting Burkhard (Reply 53):
Isn't Norwegian the low cost arm of the Air France group in Europe? Did I only dream this?

Yeah you saw a dream... AY owns 5% of DY  
Flying high and low

LN-KGL

Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:28 am

Quoting Burkhard (Reply 53):

You must be dreaming. Norwegian's 10 largest shareholders can be seen here: http://www.norwegian.com/uk/about-no...-relations/the-share/shareholders/

I case you are interested - Transavia is the LCC that is closely connected to the Air France Group.

CPHFF

Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:00 pm

Will these new planes have better legroom ? ? ?

I flew DY 3580 CPH-PRG on a 738 this morning, and the legroom was really bad. I was lucky it was only a 1h 10 min flight, but I can't imagine spending + 5 hs ARN-DXB in than thing.

Loved the free Wi-Fi though   
If it weren't for UAW, Detroit would shine!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos