Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rotating14
Topic Author

QR CEO: No New Orders At Farnbourogh

Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:06 am

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE85N06Z20120624?irpc=932

Good day all,

In this article QR says that they will not place any orders at the upcoming Air Show in the UK. Seems normal but he is quoted to say "we have too many planes". Does this signify a slow or cap in its growth plans and/or could we see some orders from both OEM'S slowly falling off the table. Thoughts?

Stitch

Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:11 am

From Boeing they have 10 777s and 30 787s due. From Airbus they have 10 A380s and 60 A350s along with 50 A320neos so maybe they have enough for now.

[Edited 2012-06-24 20:14:44]

chiad

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:08 am

Quoting rotating14 (Thread starter):
In this article QR says that they will not place any orders at the upcoming Air Show in the UK

Thanks for the info.
But .. it's a strange topic.
Imagine if we would start a topic about every airline that WONT place an order at an airshow.

Then again .. Qatar is a bit special.

migair54

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:54 pm

Quoting Chiad (Reply 2):
Thanks for the info.
But .. it's a strange topic.
Imagine if we would start a topic about every airline that WONT place an order at an airshow.

It is. But we love strange topics...  )))))

I think it´s quite normal not to place any new order they have such a backlog that they have planes for the next few years.... 160 plans in order and another 100 in the fleet or so... do they still have A330 and A320 on order??

Quoting Stitch (Reply 1):
From Boeing they have 10 777s and 30 787s due. From Airbus they have 10 A380s and 60 A350s along with 50 A320neos so maybe they have enough for now.

If i´m not mistaken they will get the first B787 very soon... so i´m sure we will have some few topics about them soon again...

Qatara340

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:35 pm

Does this signify a slow or cap in its growth plans and/or could we see some orders from both OEM'S slowly falling off the table. Thoughts?

I think he means they have ordered a lot of planes, not too much (ie. overcapacity).

Quoting Stitch (Reply 1):

True, AND... It will retire eventually the 29 A330 from pax Service (keeping 15 for Cargo), Several old A320s, 4 A340s, which means that it will have to be retired "soon"

Quoting migair54 (Reply 3):
160 plans in order and another 100 in the fleet or so... do they still have A330 and A320 on order??

They have 170 odd planes on order including 50 A320NEOs, 10 777s, 30 787, 80 A350s.

[email protected]

Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:37 pm

Farbourogh

Just to be accurate, and so others don't think that is how it's spelt, it's spelt Farnborough.

BE77

Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:44 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 5):
it's spelt Farnborough.

spelled Farnborough
spelt Farnboro
spelled Farnboro

Oh darnit - how do I get all these versions of Eng-CanUSOzzieCaribIndKiwi-lish straightened out.

I agree through, in English and in England, I believe they refer to the place as Farnborough,

kdhurst380

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:15 pm

Quoting BE77 (Reply 6):
spelled Farnborough
spelt Farnboro
spelled Farnboro

Oh darnit - how do I get all these versions of Eng-CanUSOzzieCaribIndKiwi-lish straightened out.

I agree through, in English and in England, I believe they refer to the place as Farnborough,

It's not referred to, it is IS Farnborough! it's a name, not a word! I've never seen it spelt any differently anywhere I've been in the country (except where it's shortened to Farnboro' on some smaller roadsigns)

Pronounced: Farn-bu-rah

It is my home town and where I live!

[Edited 2012-06-25 13:19:35]

lightsaber

Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:18 pm

Seems normal but he is quoted to say "we have too many planes".

Did he really say that? I would be surprised if anything more than 'we have sufficient orders" would be spoken.

That phrasing implies a strategic blunder.

Quoting Chiad (Reply 2):

How will they outgrow EK and TK without more orders?  
Quoting BE77 (Reply 6):
spelled Farnborough
spelt Farnboro
spelled Farnboro

LIghtsaber

BE77

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:19 pm

No offence KD - please! I'm a bit of a grammer cop myself - but like people in aviation, my profession has me working in a lot of different places, and being picky it can lead to trouble with all the different usages in the world. Quite often I have had to translate English to English for two native English speakers (Australia and the Caribbean are usually involved in those conversations).

Quoting kdhurst380 (Reply 7):
it is IS Farnborough!

Do you mean you live in a place call IS Farnborough? Is IS Farnborough near the place they have an airshow?

Farnboro'

OMG - I had no idea there were signs that abbreviated it to Farnboro - I was just making that up to Americanise (or is that Americanize) how it is spelled. You really should not have told us about that spelling being actually used there!!!

spelt

Classic example of a word hardly used outside the UK AFAIK. Still hear it occasionally in Canada, but I don't think ever in the US - not sure about some of the other countries. Dictionaries suggest it is a UK thing.

FWIW, I still sit on a Chesterfield - but most of my friends have a sofa.

kdhurst380

Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:48 pm

Quoting BE77 (Reply 9):
Do you mean you live in a place call IS Farnborough? Is IS Farnborough near the place they have an airshow?

My error!

Quoting BE77 (Reply 9):
OMG - I had no idea there were signs that abbreviated it to Farnboro - I was just making that up to Americanise (or is that Americanize) how it is spelled. You really should not have told us about that spelling being actually used there!!!

You'll notice I wrote Farnboro', as opposed to Farnboro, which is how the Americans would have you spell it if they had it their way. This is how it is written on roadsigns.

Quoting BE77 (Reply 9):
Classic example of a word hardly used outside the UK AFAIK. Still hear it occasionally in Canada, but I don't think ever in the US - not sure about some of the other countries. Dictionaries suggest it is a UK thing.

It is a UK thing, it is the standard taught in schools. I hear it being criticised for being too old hat, but I disagree, we have more and more Americanisations entering our vocabulary, so I think it's good that some words remain more traditional, if that's the right word.

'International English' as it's dubbed is largely based on US English, so we like our 'original' version.

BE77

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:19 am

So just to try to get back on track, assuming QR can find Farnborough with all the road signs leading to Farnboro', it shouldn't be a big shock if they don't order anything, considering the substantial, and impressive, fleet they have on order already. There is probably not much point in ordering more right now anyway since they won't get them for years, and the sales are not greatly outrunning deliveries so there isn't much incentive to order in a hurry...similar to the C Series situation you may as well wait if it isn't costing you anyway.

RubberJungle

RE: QR CEO: No New Orders At Farnbourogh

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:36 pm

Quoting BE77 (Reply 9):
I'm a bit of a grammer cop myself

Canadian "grammer" or English grammar?  

BE77

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:13 pm

Quoting RubberJungle (Reply 12):
Canadian "grammer" or English grammar?

Oops, that wasn't so much a question of grammar, more like a typo since I spelt / spelled it wrong.....   

aerokiwi

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:17 pm

it's a name, not a word!

And Germans call Germany "Deutschland", Ivory Coasters call Ivory Coast "Cote d'Ivoire", Japanese call Japan "Nippon" (or "Nihon") but that doesn't seem to stop us anglophiles.

ON TOPIC - does this mean the C-Series is effectively a no-goer for QR? All these years of apparently well-founded speculation and still nothing.

BD500

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:32 pm

Quoting aerokiwi (Reply 14):
ON TOPIC - does this mean the C-Series is effectively a no-goer for QR? All these years of apparently well-founded speculation and still nothing.

It was already announced in May at EBACE in Geneva, when Qatar annouced the purchase of 10 Global 7000/8000, that they would re-open the negotiations with Bombardier in 6-12 months because they are very busy at the moment.

Al Baker also mentionned that they were looking to operate the CSeries but also "we are interested in buying them for our leasing company" as well.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...eries-talks-in-6-12-months-371835/

lightsaber

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:45 pm

Quoting BD500 (Reply 15):
that they would re-open the negotiations with Bombardier in 6-12 months because they are very busy at the moment.

I wonder if they will reopen negotiations. Sigh...
That would be a nice 'shot in the arm' for the program.

Lightsaber

Stitch

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:15 pm

Quoting lightsaber (Reply 16):
I wonder if they will reopen negotiations. Sigh...
That would be a nice 'shot in the arm' for the program.

They probably want to see BBD get the test planes into the air, first. They've been burned three times now - the A380, A350 and 787 have all been late and all have probably had an impact on their business plan.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos