Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jeta380
Topic Author

Live Flight Cam

Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:09 am

I got thinking today how cool it would be if there was a website that could give you live streaming video from the cameras mounted on airliners, such as A380's. I think it would be great to log in and watch aircraft take off and land live from the actual plane, on your computer at home. I'm sure there are pro's and con's to this, thoughts....???

DeltaMD90

RE: Live Flight Cam

Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:36 am

Cons:

I'm sure it would be a security threat for some reason or another
Costs for little reason (it would be awesome, no doubt, but there is no reason for an airline to do it and waste a lot of money.)
Streaming live video would take a lot of bandwidth that could be used for wifi

DarkSnowyNight

Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:39 am

Quoting jeta380 (Thread starter):
I'm sure there are pro's and con's to this, thoughts....???

What the hell kind of cons exist for this in your universe,   To expand on your idea... How about a live streaming site that ties into a PC or mac in such a fashion that a randomly selected "view" becomes a screensaver after a length of inactivity?
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

s4popo

Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:40 am

What's the camera going to show the rest of the time? I'm not sure it's very practical. You also have the issue of using up bandwidth to stream the video.

bohica

Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:55 am

If there was an accident/incident involving one of these "streaming" flights, CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, etc would have a field day showing the footage seconds after it happens. This is the last thing an airline needs to deal with if anything bad ever happened.

ghifty

Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:31 am

Quoting bohica (Reply 4):
CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, etc would have a field day showing the footage seconds after it happens. This is the last thing an airline needs to deal with if anything bad ever happened.

This is true. Let's just let them (KCAL 9, NBC LA) continue to use re-cycled footage of Delta 727's and United airplanes in battleship gray livery!
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

Comments made here reflect only my personal opinions.

jeta380
Topic Author

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:47 am

Quoting s4popo (Reply 3):
What's the camera going to show the rest of the time? I'm not sure it's very practical.

I'm not too internet savy and I can see the security and media argument. I fiqure that there are live webcams at some airports and other non avaition sites around the world now, so what does it matter if you have a live streaming video of the planes taking off and landing?

I think the only video worthy bit would be taking off and landing, so maybe it could send the video back from the plane, within a designated distance of the airport, then it cuts off.

I would not expect the airlines to pay for this, but someone out there may like to set up a business to do this and run advertising on it to make money??? Maybe an existing avaition website???

dazbo5

Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:31 am

A lot of aircraft have various inflight camera fitted that make great viewing at various phases of flight. Apart from at take-off and landing though, I wouldn't have thought there'd be much to watch and could get rather boring.

Darren
Equipment: 2x Canon EOS 50D; Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM, 50-500 EX APO DG, Canon 24-105 f/4 L, Speedlite 430EX

Tbone354

Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:49 pm

I kind of like the idea but in reality, how many times and hours would a person actually spend sitting at the computer watching this? I mean takeoffs and landings are all pretty much the same. It would be like listening to a song over and over and over and over and... Do we not have enough of this sort of thing already on TV? I counted 49 straight hours of I Love Lucy on Hallmark this weekend past!

Horstroad

Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:34 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 1):

could you explain that? I don´t see why there would be a security risk...

FedExFlyerPHL

Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:12 pm

Quoting ghifty (Reply 5):
This is true. Let's just let them (KCAL 9, NBC LA) continue to use re-cycled footage of Delta 727's and United airplanes in battleship gray livery!

Haha, I saw this on NBC LA last night. Is that really the most recent footage they have?

Jeff
Home base: SNA, LGB, LAX

irelayer

Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:22 pm

Quoting FedExFlyerPHL (Reply 10):
Haha, I saw this on NBC LA last night. Is that really the most recent footage they have?

Jeff

In nightly TV news they have what's called "B-roll" which is basically background video that relates to the topic. There is a quick turnaround time for each story and they also can't take any old video off of YouTube (copyright, royalties, etc). That explains the inaccuracy. News sites also...they can only use preapproved pictures that they own or have the rights to use.

-IR

SEA

Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:59 pm

The main issue is that the bandwidth requirements for streaming video are much too high for it to work consistently on an airliner. It's an awesome idea to be sure, but it just wouldn't work right now. In the future though, I could certainly see something like this happening where you have live feeds from cameras on the exterior of the plane being streamed to an airline's operations center.

tockeyhockey

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:31 pm

one thing i've always wanted was the option to view out the front windows while flying -- perhaps as a channel on your PTV. it would be great to sort of see where you are going, like driving a car.

railker

Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:37 pm

Isn't that one of the things on board the A380's, one of the PTV channels views to the cameras the crews have access to for maneuvering, etc.? Like the ones in the tail, under the belly ...

i.e. This one, tail view of takeoff on Lufthansa A380 from Frankfurt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_320GLmP9hU

[Edited 2012-07-02 11:58:11]

tdscanuck

Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:01 pm

Quoting tockeyhockey (Reply 13):
one thing i've always wanted was the option to view out the front windows while flying -- perhaps as a channel on your PTV.

That exists on some aircraft now; it's not actually in the flight deck but on the nose, but the view is basically the same. I had it on an SAS A340 a few months ago.

Tom.

N62NA

Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:30 pm

Quoting s4popo (Reply 3):
What's the camera going to show the rest of the time? I'm not sure it's very practical. You also have the issue of using up bandwidth to stream the video.

Norwegian Cruise lines does this on their ships (not sure if any other cruise lines do it). It's a neat thing!

Beardown91737

Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:54 pm

Princess also does. I don't know if any of the other Carnival-owned lines do. Costa maybe????

Weight of the equipment isn't the same issue for the ships.
135 hrs PIC (mostly PA-28) - not current. Landings at MDW, PIA, JAN.

DeltaMD90

Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:45 pm

Quoting horstroad (Reply 9):
Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 1):

could you explain that? I don´t see why there would be a security risk...

I don't know I think flight trackers were under scrutiny at one point, and for a while a few years ago they stopped showing the in flight tracker on aircraft. Something to do with detonating the aircraft at the right point or something stupid. Didn't agree with it but that's what they said...

flyingdoc

Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:41 am

Wasn't streamed, of course, but I flew AF 28 CDG - IAD last week and they showed take off and landing from the tail camera on the inseat video screens. Pretty neat.

khpn

Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:49 am

sounds like something I would love to use, but if I was unfortunate enough to have a crazy girlfriend I would not want her to know about such a service

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos