Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N766UA

RE: Virgin America Debuts Its Banana Republic Uniforms

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:22 pm

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 48):
No one is comparing them to genocide

I am. I literally am saying that these new uniforms are AS BAD as the holocaust.

Of course I'm not, jesus some of you people are obtuse.

Quoting falkerker (Reply 45):
If you don´t like it, perfect, but don´t compare them to genocide or wish it´s demise....

Hey speaking of Nazis, they were pretty keen on telling people what and what not to say and think. Just saying.

[Edited 2012-07-12 16:23:57]

Type-Rated

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:32 pm

Well, would you all rather have them dress as Hooters Girls?

Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

TeamintheSky

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:35 pm

The FA's uniforms are attractive but are by no means groundbreaking. Lacriox's AF still is my preference. But I tend to agree on the captains uniform. EasyJet and Ryanair's captains look far more distinguished. Also, like others have said, VX's problems stem from lack of focus on making money while turning their attention to fashion and SRB events.

Regards,

Team
Since 2010: DL, KL, AF, WX, IG, FR , FL, U2, AK, BA, OK, UX, VS, VN, K6, AT, US, AY, BE, EI, LG, AZ, 9W, SG, AA, JL, W6

N766UA

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:38 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 52):
Well, would you all rather have them dress as Hooters Girls?

Ya know, I was perfectly happy forgetting such a concept ever existed…  

ikramerica

Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:55 pm

Quoting type-rated (Reply 39):
It's like they have earned the right to wear it. And the uniform also represents authority. Take it away and they feel like they have "lost the authority".

A. They HAVE earned the right.
B. It's important to be a clear symbol of authority in times of crisis. In an emergency, you want the ignorant passenger to know that TOM and MARY, dressed like everyone else, are really the cockpit crew and what they say is gospel. But I assume the small amount of brass they wear will be enough? And they will wear wings, no? Will a hat be optional?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

VXCabinCrew

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:07 am

Quoting ROSWELL41 (Reply 29):
Frankly, the management at VX just wants their pilots to feel no different than the FA or the ramper. This is a technique designed to get them to accept less when it comes to compensation. VX isn't the first airline to go down this path. I think the uniform looks silly. I feel sorry for their pilots.

We all decided on what uniform concept to go with for ourselves. We have uniform commitees that spent over a year finding a designer, picking pieces that we liked and doing fittings. The pilots chose what uniform to wear. They turned down other proposed ideas to decide on the final concept that will be used. No one had uniforms decided for them by the company.

Quoting EASTERN747 (Reply 46):
One word...Boring".....As said in one comment, there are very few model F/A's and Cockpit crew.We normal people in shape and size would look ridicules. This company goes after a specific client and in the world of airline folk it's all shapes and sizes. I also didn't see any wings or name tags............WTF...."At Eastern, we have to earn our wings everyday"

Our wings weren't included in the photos because our wings are currently being redesigned to debut on August 8. The wings we have now would not be in line with the new uniforms. Also, I have nothing to do with marketing, but I assume they wanted these pics to be more of a "fashion spread" and focus on the clothes instead of what the wings look like.

Quoting mcdu (Reply 33):
The sooner you guys go the way of the dodo bird the better. It is a shame what this industry has devolved into thanks to operations like VX.

It's a little troubling and sad that you wish for the demise of a company that employs over 2,000 people. We all have families to support and mortgages to pay, as do you. If you're happy where you work - wonderful! We like where we work, too. So please don't beat up on us and wish that we lose our jobs. I normally don't respond to negative comments on here, but yours crossed the line.

Where are other VX employees on here? I feel like the company representative all of a sudden - and getting beaten up at it, too lol Regardless, I like hearing all the feedback on our uniforms - both good and bad. We've been really excited about this for a long time, so it's interesting to hear what others outside of the company think.

SkyPriorityDTW

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:07 am

The VX culture is fantastic! It harbors a "true" team atmosphere and motivates team members to be the best they can be. This uniform signifies that. It reflects their culture perfectly, and gives team members another reason why to be happy to have the job they have!

Many on here have noted that it's too casual and/or doesn't give pilots an authoritative look. More than likely, that's not what VX was looking to do. Again, they are looking to incorporate their culture into their uniform... not the interests of guests. Although that may be a factor, the larger, and more important, factor was having their uniform reflect their culture. This did that. Look at companies like Google and Facebook... what do they require their employees to wear? Well, they can come in a t-shirt and flip flops to work. Are they less authoritative or productive because of what they wear? No. By all means, I'm not implying that VX team members should wear THAT casual of a uniform. However, it's perfectly fine for a guy not to wear a tie and/or a pilot to not be in what most would call an "official" looking uniform.

The uniforms are very sharp... nicely done VX and Banana Republic!!!!
Keep Climbing...

ZKSUJ

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:11 am

Quoting VXCabinCrew (Reply 12):
You're missing my point. We're not trying to show authority at VX. We work as a team. And our teammates and guests appreciate that =)

I know what you mean and yes it is good to have everyone working in the team as a team, however there will always be authority on an aircraft. The Captain will have final say, followed by the First Officer, then the Cabin crew. I see your point but disagree with the VX philosophy of no authority. It is great when everything is going well, but in an emergency you cannot have too many chiefs and not enough indians so to speak. Especially when you have 2 or more people in a crew who 'know alot', you will suddenly have clashes if opinions differ

I think that there should be authority on a plane, every place needs a manager/boss. But the difference is in the culture where people are treated with respect and dignity regardless of who you are (I think some get mixed up with aurthority vs being a good leader for your team). Where I am, everyone is on a first name basis, flight and cabin crew, ramps staff, ops staff etc... Even the senior managment are on first name basis. The authority gradient is quite shallow on board, but there is still an authority gradient. Flight and cabin crew do things together much like at VX, stay at the same hotels, hang out together etc. (I've known of some of the guys helping the cabin crew on trun arounds etc)But when push comes to shove, the guy up the front with 4 stripes and the extra feather thing on his hat peak has final say, and thats how it should work.

The uniform in my opinion should reflect that.

Quoting mcdu (Reply 33):
Much like the "were all equals" spiel you keep broadcasting. The hard facts are the Captain needs to be the leader and while you can call him "Pete" or "Tom" he is still the Captain and is the person that signs for the flight with all the legal ramifications. As a teammate are you called to the cockpit to decide which direction the teammates should divert around a line of thunderstorms? Do the teammates have a get together to discuss the Windshear recovery maneuver prior to entering conditions ripe for an encounter? The FA's are not co-captains or even co-co-pilots.

Thats the point I'm making. The responsibility the flight crew face (In particularily the captain) is different to that of the cabin crew. That already states that ther is an authority gap

Quoting type-rated (Reply 39):
Another thing I have found. While pilots seem to like black and navy blue uniforms most of them hate brown uniforms. Anyone know the reason why?

Easy, it looks more professional IMHO, more corporate. I don't want to look like I'm from the army or work at UPS  

Anyway back to the original post. I think the female F/A uniform looks good, very sharp. The males could do with a nice jacket or something with a different colour/pattern. And I like many on here feel the flight crew should be in a traditional uniform with suit and hat

hiflyeras

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:19 am

Quoting nws2002 (Reply 43):
I've worked as a FA at both a regional carrier (DH) and now a mainline carrier (CO/UA) and at both I've always called the pilots by their first names. Is this not the industry norm in the US?

Of course....we call them by their first name in most instances. But if someone wishes to pop into the cockpit during boarding I'd likely say "Captain, do you have time for a visitor?". Or if making a P.A. I wouldn't say "Bob would like you to fasten your seat belts." It's what's appropriate at the time. Perhaps at VX they all address each other as "comrade".

Quoting flyiguy (Reply 47):
This makes me laugh...It's VX saying " Hey, we haven't made a penny in profit yet so lets spend more money to prove it "

Yes, new uniforms, a multi-million dollar flight training center and A320 flight simulator....a sweet $11.7 million just for that. Must be nice to have other people's money to burn.

luv2fly

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:28 am

Let me ask this were these actual VX employees in this photo shoot?
You can cut the irony with a knife

eastern747

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:32 am

Ever since I became involved in the industry, there has also been alot of feedback about uniform changes. I remember we went from blue suits and white gloves to hot hot pants and nasty plastic boots.....Times change, but so to the customers we serve. SW has a good idea.....polo shirts, tan pants and/or tennis shoes or whatever. Most inflight staff look pretty good regardless of shape/size LOLOLOLOLOLs After all they fit into the customer base. An Air France long haul F/A would be way out of place on a SW flight. As for the flight crew upfront, those ties are silly. Looks like you work for Disney. Can you imagine the Captain of one of those Disney ships dressed like PLUTO.

VXCabinCrew

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:32 am

Quoting luv2fly (Reply 60):
Let me ask this were these actual VX employees in this photo shoot?

Yes, they are all actual cabin crew and pilots

ikramerica

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:43 am

Quoting EASTERN747 (Reply 61):
Looks like you work for Disney. Can you imagine the Captain of one of those Disney ships dressed like PLUTO.

No, ever see the monorail pilot uniforms? THOSE are silly.

I don't think pilots need to dress so formally they could pass for leaders of the Church of Scientology, but going über caz isn't that great an image either. Makes it look like it's the pilot's hobby, not her career...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

gigneil

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:44 am

Most pilots look like hell in their current uniforms.

They're ill fitting, poorly pressed, and make them look forced.

I want them to fly me where I'm going. I don't give a shit what they wear.

NS

hiflyeras

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:50 am

Quoting ikramerica (Reply 63):
No, ever see the monorail pilot uniforms? THOSE are silly.

Bright yellow and blue, right? I love the Disney monorail!! Let's face it....it's pretty hard to find a uniform that everyone likes and is flattering to everyone that has to wear it. Kudos to VX for trying...those black uniforms are pretty awful.

commavia

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:03 am

I agree with many others - the pilot uniform looks ridiculous. I must say - having flown Virgin America several times - that while it is a good (if not-yet-profitable) airline that offers a solid product and exceptional service, they have to be very careful not too become too trendy. Some level of trendiness and hipness is good for an airline brand, but there's a limit - there is some certain level of timelessness that an airline brand needs if it wants to retain its relevancy, as strange as that sounds.

I think, for example, that Delta is probably doing the best job today of finding "it" - whatever that timeless-yet-contemporary, classic-yet-trendy balance is. As another example, I think BA also does a fairly good job of this with their branding.

I actually think a very good example of an airline that has suffered from this over-trendiness is actually Virgin Atlantic, whose image and branding seems to be so exceedingly current as to actually look, at least to me, very dated and stale.

Again - "it" is hard to describe, but it's there - and Virgin America's Marketing people need to watch out for it, in my opinion.

luv2fly

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:04 am

They really don't grab me personally. Stretch fabric have a tend to snag and run so that will be a problem. Also they are trying to look hip and cool and they can and will look dated soon. Time will tell though.
You can cut the irony with a knife

BMI727

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:10 am

Quoting AirPacific747 (Reply 3):
I don't like the pilots' uniform.. way to laissez faire for my taste..

It doesn't look bad, just not like a pilot's uniform. There are plenty of ways to look distinctive and still like a pilot.

Quoting VXCabinCrew (Reply 12):
We're not trying to show authority at VX. We work as a team.

That's nice and all, but the team needs a leader. And the person in charge should look like they're in charge.

Quoting AirCalSNA (Reply 16):
But VX pilots seem to be required to be "accessible." On a recent LAS-SFO flight we were held in LAS for several hours due to SFO fog, and the pilots hung around at the gate and conducted a trivia contest for the passengers, with free drinks awarded to winners

That matters a hell of a lot more than any uniform.

Quoting sq_ek_freak (Reply 26):
They have a lambskin jacket as part of their uniform set!??

I like the idea of giving pilots something akin to an old style bomber jacket. Distinguished, professional, and functional so it's basically all you can ask for in a uniform.

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 48):
Difference is that the Nazis did have some cool looking uniforms (*not condoning their actions of course*) and VX's pilot uniforms are not as cool

Of course Nazi uniforms have been copied by quite a few groups over the years, some to create a connection, sometimes out of necessity. The helmets were used by several militaries around the world. And Star Wars, where the empire basically is the Nazis.

Actually some American police uniforms look a lot like Nazis, but predated them. Somewhere I read that they were modeled on eastern European armies to present a more authoritative look to immigrants.

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 58):
I don't want to look like I'm from the army or work at UPS

UPS in particular is known for being very strict about the uniforms and appearance of their workers.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

Jetmarc

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:12 am

I feel these may be a little too Banana Republic. I sold sweaters just like the gray zip-up with arm stripes at The Gap in 1997. I also feel that most of these won't wear well unless they are tailored/fitted nor are they completely age or size appropriate - albeit they tend to only hire a certain type (I've only seen a few mature F/As). I think it may be a little too desperate an attempt at trying to be different and "not like the other guys." The heels are a little too "cha-cha," hem lines are a little short. Those red trench coats are going to be useless during the winter in Boston, Chicago, and New York.
"Sucka, I'm gonna send you out on Knuckle Airlines. Fist Class!!" ~ Mr. T

flyfitch

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:24 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 50):

Way to back track. You said it, I just repeated you. If you didn't want someone to take you literally, then why did you post it? How do you know that there aren't nazis walking around in skinny jeans and flannel shirts with big unkept hair and nerd glasses that refer to themselves as douchebags? I'm just saying... You never know.

Back to the topic, I can't wait for these uniforms. They are an improvement over the current ones. If you don't agree that they are an improvement on style, they are surely an improvement for the comfort and function for the employees, which is what matters most. Comfortable and confident team members equal happy and friendly team members. (usually). As the company grows, they needed to do something to keep their image current and fresh. Pretty much every team member was complaining about their uniform not being comfortable and not being functional. Not to mention they are very frumpy and tailored to fit the big kids. New uniforms for team members is in line with one of Virgin's core values, which is to elevate people. Specifically, the Virgins. Team members ask, and management listens.

N766UA

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:28 am

Quoting flyfitch (Reply 70):
If you didn't want someone to take you literally, then why did you post it?

I would say "please tell me you're joking," but it's pretty obvious you don't 'do' that.

jetblast

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:06 am

Quoting HiFlyerAS (Reply 59):
Yes, new uniforms, a multi-million dollar flight training center and A320 flight simulator....a sweet $11.7 million just for that. Must be nice to have other people's money to burn.

When you're burning $76 million a quarter what's another million for uniforms?

Pilot's uniform looks ridiculous. The older, more 'portly' pilots will look stupid in them while the rest will look like trendy Ken dolls. Oh well.
Speedbird Concorde One

laca773

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:17 am

Quoting VXCabinCrew (Reply 10):

Thanks for your compliments! We are really excited. After the unpleasantness of the union's attempt to get involved with us last year, and some not-so-exciting financial results, we are really looking forward to the nice morale boost these uniforms are going to provide us. I know it's just clothes, but it feels so much better going to work when you look good. We're all excited to take to the skies on August 8! And I know our guests will respond very favorably. We did the fittings for these from Jan - Apr this year and it was such a tease not to get them until August! To answer your question, there is no brown. It is all based off of a charcoal - steele color palette.

You're welcome! I don't see anything wrong with the uniforms, though the Men's could be given a little excitement. I'd like to see the sweaters and vests they came up with. Do you guys have any ties VXCabinCrew?

Quoting VXCabinCrew (Reply 56):
Quoting mcdu (Reply 33):
The sooner you guys go the way of the dodo bird the better. It is a shame what this industry has devolved into thanks to operations like VX.

It's a little troubling and sad that you wish for the demise of a company that employs over 2,000 people. We all have families to support and mortgages to pay, as do you. If you're happy where you work - wonderful! We like where we work, too. So please don't beat up on us and wish that we lose our jobs. I normally don't respond to negative comments on here, but yours crossed the line.

I completely agree with you here again. It's very sad such people have to think in such a manner.

Quoting commavia (Reply 66):
I agree with many others - the pilot uniform looks ridiculous. I must say - having flown Virgin America several times - that while it is a good (if not-yet-profitable) airline that offers a solid product and exceptional service, they have to be very careful not too become too trendy. Some level of trendiness and hipness is good for an airline brand, but there's a limit - there is some certain level of timelessness that an airline brand needs if it wants to retain its relevancy, as strange as that sounds.

Would it look better commavia, if they did it like B6's cockpit crew? They're not the very formal either. In fact they use dark blue dress shirts and pants. The airline you're most known to be associated with, really could use a clean up your act lesson. Or are they allowed to dress like slobs, idiots and the such because of the union?

Quoting commavia (Reply 66):
I think, for example, that Delta is probably doing the best job today of finding "it" - whatever that timeless-yet-contemporary, classic-yet-trendy balance is. As another example, I think BA also does a fairly good job of this with their branding.

I do agree with you here. Richard Tyler really took into consideration the entire picture and also considered they're a worldwide airline. AF and BA also do a nice job! In general, the European & Far East Airlines do a remarkable job looking professional and classy.

It's a shame I'm the only one here who complemented VX for choosing an American Based company, also based in their hometown to design their uniforms. Hats off to them for doing that!

In many respects, I'm quite shocked regarding the negative reactions to the uniforms VX will be introducing. Not all of them, but many.
Times have changed in the airline industry. I can see why they would go with these looks. Flying definitely isn't what it used to be. Myself, I still like to put on some nice clothes and shoes when I fly, albeit, I'm among the minority. Frankly, the way people travel now, is a bad joke. Flip flops, cut off shorts which show one might not being underwear, torn shirts, pants that show off their boxers, or as if they rolled out of bed. Completely tasteless, sloppy and in some cases just sleazy pigs! If people were much more formal and took flying the way many used too, I think we'd see much more formal uniforms between introduced, but that's not the case.

I've seen flight attendants on UA and AA in particular, who look so bad, and poorly dressed, they should be sent home to change. They are not a good representivitive of the company in which they work for. If these flight crews showed up to work dressed like they do @ NH, SQ, CX, AF, BA, LX, I wouldn't be surprised if they were sent home.
I'll never forget a flight attendant on a late afternoon LAX-ORD flight. Her jacket had many lint balls on it along with all her pendants. It looked as though she was going to a beer convention, etc.. When I got up to use the lav in the rear, instead of working, she was sitting in her jump seat on the 75 with one of those lint rollerball brushes that are basically masking tape to clean up the sad, pathetic state of her jacket!

c680

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:22 am

Say what you want about the uniforms - it really doesn't matter.

Everyone in my office takes VX transcon as their first choice. These are guys who can afford to fly on airline they choose, and they pay for their own tickets.

Why? The service is better.

Based on some of these comments from employees of VX competitors, I can understand why people avoid flying with you when they can.
My happy place is FL470 - what's yours?

commavia

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:27 am

Quoting laca773 (Reply 73):
Times have changed in the airline industry. I can see why they would go with these looks.

Times change, but some things remain timeless. These uniforms are not timeless. In fact, while they may be ostensibly brand new, they actually already look dated to me.

Flying definitely isn't what it used to be. Myself, I still like to put on some nice clothes and shoes when I fly, albeit, I'm among the minority. Frankly, the way people travel now, is a bad joke. Flip flops, cut off shorts which show one might not being underwear, torn shirts, pants that show off their boxers, or as if they rolled out of bed. Completely tasteless, sloppy and in some cases just sleazy pigs!

Well then Virgin better reevaluate their business plan, because I've got news for them (and you): us huddled, unwashed masses are the ones they're gonna have to attract once they get done expanding to the "cool" cities in this country. And, of course, that goes to the broader issue Virgin has to confront: their entire business model and product offering is based on continued growth, and catering to trendy, "hip" urban travelers. The problem with that strategy is that the amount of places with a sufficient amount of trendy, "hip" urban travelers that Virgin can hope to capture is not enough to sustain their level of growth to-date.

If people were much more formal and took flying the way many used too, I think we'd see much more formal uniforms between introduced, but that's not the case.

There's a difference between formal and ridiculous. Nobody is expecting pilots to fly in tuxedos. There's a balance. But that pilot uniform looks ridiculous. I actually find it rather ironic that you are bemoaning how supposedly inappropriately many travelers dress when flying, and yet you seem to have no problem with a "uniform" that, at least to me, seems rather inappropriate for a position of importance and responsibility that once commanded a great deal of respect.

laca773

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:37 am

Quoting commavia (Reply 75):

If you don't like how they present themselves, commavia, you don't have to give them your business. The same can be said for the likes of WN, B6....

commavia

Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:44 am

Quoting laca773 (Reply 76):
If you don't like how they present themselves, commavia, you don't have to give them your business. The same can be said for the likes of WN, B6....

That's self-evident. The opinion myself and others are expressing about some of these uniform designs are obviously separate from the discussion of whether we are or are not able to spend money with whichever airline we choose.

futureualpilot

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:00 am

I'll echo the sentiment that the pilots uniforms are crap. There is a lot to be said for building a team atmosphere, and good CRM between pilots and FAs, in-flight team, cabin crew, whatever you want to address them by. I have the utmost respect for my fellow crew on the other side of the bullet-resistant door and consider them a very importent asset but, and I know this is a big stick in a lot of a.netter's craw around here, the pilots or more specifically the Captains are in command of the flight. As such, they should be easily distinguishable and look the part, not as if they just finished an overpriced name brand clothing store shopping spree.

Further, what happens if it really hits the fan and crash/rescue personnel need to quickly find the Captain or FO? The traditional uniform is easy to distinguish. These? Not hardly. You average joe won't know to look for epaulets, much less during a stressful, sensory overload situation.

[Edited 2012-07-12 20:04:53]

[Edited 2012-07-12 20:15:34]
Life is better when you surf.

VXCabinCrew

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:03 am

You're welcome! I don't see anything wrong with the uniforms, though the Men's could be given a little excitement. I'd like to see the sweaters and vests they came up with. Do you guys have any ties VXCabinCrew?

Thanks for your compliments! There are sweaters for us guys. Here's the link where you can see it. We voted no on ties. I think ties are sharp - I love DL and VS uniforms! But ties don't fit well with our overall image at VX, in my opinion. And with all the bag lifting I do during boarding and all the on-demand food and drink ordering, I feel like the fewer accessories, the better.

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2012/7/...esent+to+Itself%3A+NEW+UNIFORMS%21

Curiousflyer

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:30 am

Frankly, these uniforms, though nice, are not exactly bold, or different. Ok they are not blue.

Overall I like them. I like the change. But it is a small change. It won't do much for me. I could have dealt with a bigger change.

The last thing I miss is the ties. To me a guy with a tie is not more professional. On the contrary he may just be hiding his incompetence behind the formality of a tie.

Well done VX, and BR, but keep working on it!

idphilli

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:45 am

I personally don't like the new pilot uniforms. I don't know if it's just me, but with the exception of the slight difference in pant color and the almost non-noticeable rank on the shoulder, the pilot uniform looks almost exactly like the male F/A uniform. I'd be fine with trying something new with the pilot uniform, but they should still be able to be recognized as a pilot and not, as someone else has said, just another guy in the airport.
Airports I've been to: ATL, AVL, CLT, CVG, DEN, GSP, IAD, ORD, PHL, PEK, PVG, RDU, SFB

AMWRACRH

Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:49 am

Well I figured some thread would draw me out to get a membership and post an opinion. I am a pilot with Virgin America, so hopefully I can provide a little insight into the pilot perspective about our uniforms and culture.

I have to disagree with VXCabinCrew, these ARE NOT the uniforms designed and approved by our pilot committee. They were changed significantly by someone outside of the pilot group after the design had been signed off by the pilot team. While there is a lot of debate as to whether we should have ties, hats, blazers, white shirts and the like, I can tell you that the initial impression of these uniforms among the pilot group is VERY negative.

But at least we make a lot of money and our company is on solid financial ground...

bioyuki

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:11 am

I think all the uniforms look great and props to VX for working with another Bay Area company (Gap) on the uniforms.

Also, I find it hilariously amusing reading all the disgusted/disdainful comments from the pilots about the pilot's uniform...the amount of ego in here is ridiculous.
Next flight: LX 39/564: SFO-ZRH-NCE

hiflyeras

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:33 am

After a second, closer look I think these uniforms are going to look terrible on anyone other than a waif. They appear to contain some sort of stretch material. I pity anyone even a few pounds overweight that has to wear it. It also looks like it won't last long...that spandex will start to loose it's elasticity and they'll be a saggy lot.

VXCabinCrew

Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:54 am

Quoting HiFlyerAS (Reply 84):
After a second, closer look I think these uniforms are going to look terrible on anyone other than a waif. They appear to contain some sort of stretch material. I pity anyone even a few pounds overweight that has to wear it. It also looks like it won't last long...that spandex will start to loose it's elasticity and they'll be a saggy lot.

That's why we've been starving ourselves since we got fitted for the uniforms in February! lol

I've never eaten so healthy and worked out as much in my life  

rwessel

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:15 am

Quoting laca773 (Reply 5):
A really important thing to mention here is Banana Republic is based in San Francisco, along with the Gap!

They are the same company, after all (along with Old Navy, and some others).

DocLightning

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:21 am

Quoting laca773 (Reply 76):

I like everything else about VX. I have a right to have that opinion without boycotting them. In fact, they are my preferred airline when they fly where I am going.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

AMWRACRH

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:26 am

Quoting bioyuki (Reply 83):
"Also, I find it hilariously amusing reading all the disgusted/disdainful comments from the pilots about the pilot's uniform...the amount of ego in here is ridiculous."

Spend tens of thousands of dollars on flight training, spend years flying a worn out turboprop in terrible weather for minimum wage, be responsible for the lives everyone on board the airplane, be legally responsible for the actions of everyone who works in and around the airplane, and know your entire career and lively hood are on the line every six months when you visit the simulator and doctor. After you do that, I will then value your opinion about my ego.

[Edited 2012-07-12 22:27:45]

aeroblogger

Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:47 am

I thought the pilot uniform was the male FA uniform at first.. Had to go back and look at the pictures again before I realized that it was the pilot's uniform after all.
#AvGeek

SEA

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:26 am

I think the new uniforms look good and I can see how they fit in with Virgin America's image as a brand. The only place that they don't fit in is with the stuffy legacy carriers' uniforms, IMO.

slinky09

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:44 am

Great sharp uniforms.

Shame about the negative comments, perhaps the dodos are really here.

bioyuki

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:44 am

Quoting AMWRACRH (Reply 88):
Spend tens of thousands of dollars on flight training, spend years flying a worn out turboprop in terrible weather for minimum wage, be responsible for the lives everyone on board the airplane, be legally responsible for the actions of everyone who works in and around the airplane, and know your entire career and lively hood are on the line every six months when you visit the simulator and doctor. After you do that, I will then value your opinion about my ego.

You're entitled to your own opinion of what a pilot should look like, but at the end of the day, you're flying somebody else's airplane, so you'll wear the uniform they tell you to wear. When you buy your own fuel, airplane, etc., then you can decide on what you wear that's 'pilot-y' enough that your ego thinks it's appropriate for the occupation.  
Next flight: LX 39/564: SFO-ZRH-NCE

virgincrew

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:38 am

Well I LOVE THE UNIFORM - Another great uniform, from another great Virgin Airline !!!

Quoting VXCabinCrew (Reply 79):
I love DL and VS uniforms!

Thanks VXCabinCrew  
Hello Beautiful !!!

AirPacific747

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:49 am

Quoting bioyuki (Reply 92):
You're entitled to your own opinion of what a pilot should look like, but at the end of the day, you're flying somebody else's airplane, so you'll wear the uniform they tell you to wear. When you buy your own fuel, airplane, etc., then you can decide on what you wear that's 'pilot-y' enough that your ego thinks it's appropriate for the occupation

And at the end of the day, none of us said we would refuse to wear it if requested to do so, but I just don't think this uniform stands out enough. It should reflect the years of training that we've been going through.

virgincrew

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:56 am

I personally think The Virgin Group of Airlines uniforms are amongst the best in the aviation industry ....

Hello Beautiful !!!

virgincrew

Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:19 am

Even in the past Virgin have delivered great uniforms .....

Big version: Width: 1215 Height: 588 File size: 221kb

[Edited 2012-07-13 02:34:42]
Hello Beautiful !!!

babybus

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:22 am

There should be a version for Muslim ladies to wear. They can't be showing their legs off like that.

Apart from the pilot uniform I think the rest look pretty snazzy. I wonder what a 16 stone crew member will look like in them?
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

usdcaguy

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:46 am

The skinny little red belt reminds me so much of the early 80's. I swear I remember seeing something similar on an AA uniform from that period. Meanwhile, the guys need more color and structure; their look is a little too dark and casual for my taste. They also need to be in ties. Sorry, but ties give dignity to uniforms as do dresses for the women (which are a part of this uniform set). Bottom line is that they should think about replacing the charcoal shirt with another color and then requiring a tie. I'm pretty happy with the overall cut of the uniforms, although the men's belt looks as though it could potentially disappear under a gut pretty easily and would be best replaced by one that is thicker with a regular buckle.

cbphoto

Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:00 pm

Quoting N757ST (Reply 4):
As a pilot, I can say without doubt that those pilot uniforms are disgraceful.
Quoting DocLightning (Reply 8):
I have to agree. VX currently has their pilots wear black trousers and a black button-down shirt, no tie. I understand that VX wants to be "different," and more "relaxed/hip," but I, as a passenger don't want them to be "different" in the cockpit. Now, please understand that I'm NOT saying that VX pilots are less professional than any other airline's pilots. I'm saying that their uniform doesn't LOOK as professional. I also don't like their policy of the pilots introducing themselves by first name over the PA and seeming to avoid the terms "pilot" or "captain." It seems as if VX wants me to think that this is just another dude in the cockpit.

They are not that different from the current uniforms they wear now! Just because it is not traditional, does not mean it is not professional. Frankly, I would rather have a couple of guys/gals who know what they are doing up their, then have a clean pressed, spit shined hot head who doesn't get along with anyone and can't fly to save their life! Then again, that's just me though! Also, Southwest F/A have been wearing those ugly shorts and polos for ever and please don;t tell me you guys think those look professional?

Quoting AirCalSNA (Reply 16):
But VX pilots seem to be required to be "accessible." On a recent LAS-SFO flight we were held in LAS for several hours due to SFO fog, and the pilots hung around at the gate and conducted a trivia contest for the passengers, with free drinks awarded to winners.

Things like this are great for the company and it's image! Most guys will hide out in the flightdeck and have little to no interaction with the passengers!

Either way, I think the uniforms are sharp, and I believe they still project a professional image! I will say however, I'm not sure how sharp they will look on the 250 lbs+ people out there  
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

flybyguy

Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Excellent uniforms. I think they reflect the fun and youthful culture of VX. I find the only problem with the VX uniforms is that they may not look all that great on people of size. I especially see the uniform being a problem for many pilots and male cabin crew with beer bellies.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos