Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dirtyfrankd
Topic Author

Took Off From Rwy 15 At DCA Yesterday

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:09 pm

Per the title, I was on a Delta Shuttle flight (E-170) yesterday and we took off from Rwy 15. When I noticed that we were on 15 and we started our takeoff roll, I definitely started having a huge panic attack...did NOT know that jets could take off from that runway and couldn't stop thinking about the 2006 OH 5191 crash in Lexington.

Is it normal for jets to take off from Rwy 15/33 at DCA? I have landed on that runway a few times but have always only taken off from Rwy 1/19...

[Edited 2012-07-13 11:09:53]

futureualpilot

RE: Took Off From Rwy 15 At DCA Yesterday

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:12 pm

When I was flying in and out of there it was not uncommon to see RJs using 15/33 when the winds were calm/favored it. It didn't happen terribly often but it did happen.
Life is better when you surf.

spiritair97

Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:47 pm

I took off from ISP a few weeks ago on runway 33L, which is 5186 feet on a WN 737 and we only use about 3500-4000 feet of the runway so I don't doubt that RJs at least can take off from runway 15at DCA. Plus, look at EYW. They fly E-175s into there and 737s.

IADCA

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:03 pm

I was on a UA 757 DCA-DEN a couple weeks ago that took off on 15. That was a fun one.

ERJ170

It's not that unusual for 15 to be used for both taking off and landing. It makes for a much more interesting take-off, but the landing on that runway is an experience in itself to. Personally, I am glad cause it does get a little tiring being number 7 or 8 in line to take off...
Aiming High and going far..

SWALUV

US has A319's take-off from 15/33.

TWAGuy

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:13 pm

I have departed 15 on the US Airways Shuttle to LGA. There were maybe 20 people on board so maybe that enabled them to use such a short runway.

dirtyfrankd
Topic Author

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:21 pm

Glad to hear...and very glad that I didn't assume the "brace" position, which I was about to do. I fly every single week and by no means am I a nervous flyer...but this one freaked me out.

Thenoflyzone

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:28 pm

Gentlemen,

nothing beats a UA 752 from SNA's 5700 ft runway to ORD.

You have to experience it at least once. What a feeling. Lineup on runway. Parking brake on......Full thrust. PACS off, so no air in the cabin......you're sweating in the summer heat....and then....when they release the parking brake, your head tilts back onto the headrest, and remains there until takeoff !

Nuff said.

Thenoflyzone

Edit: UA also operates the 752 from SNA to IAH and EWR. The latter is an early morning departure or a late evening one, to avoid the heat of the day. IAH and ORD are afternoon departures.

[Edited 2012-07-13 12:38:07]
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

Acey559

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:30 pm

I flew out of DCA a few weeks ago and used 15. We had to do a max thrust takeoff, but it can certainly be done as evidenced above.
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

mikect

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:37 pm

Quoting dirtyfrankd (Reply 7):
Glad to hear...and very glad that I didn't assume the "brace" position, which I was about to do. I fly every single week and by no means am I a nervous flyer...but this one freaked me out.

Sometimes being more knowledgeable than the average flier can work against you!

I was curious just what the E170 was capable of and according to Embraer's website, the E170 needs 5,394 feet of runway at max weight. Runway 15 at DCA is 5,204 feet. But I'm sure you were nowhere near max weight. It also said you would need 3,763 feet loaded for a 500nm flight, and LGA is just 214nm. It seems for the shuttle flights, that runway is well within the limits of the aircraft.

Quoting thenoflyzone (Reply 8):

I love that experience. I feel like I'm in the space shuttle. I know it's not the case, but it feels like we're climbing at a 60 degree angle!

SouthernDC9

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:46 pm

Yeah if you plane watch from Gravelly Point you'll see this little ballet almost of planes taking off from the two runways. I've taken off to the east and landed from the east but have never come in from the west over the GW Parkway on 15, which seems like it would be exciting.

I've definitely seen a 319 takeoff on the e/w runway but usually it's the regionals.

Quoting dirtyfrankd (Reply 7):
Glad to hear...and very glad that I didn't assume the "brace" position, which I was about to do.

You could also have assumed the crash position ala Airplane! and slumped over in your seat in a broken, crumbled heap.
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

spiritair97

Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:56 pm

Quoting MikeCT (Reply 10):

You never know, in a 757 you just might be.....  

I was at JFK once and saw n172aj taking off enroute to SXM and it used about 3000 feet of runway 22R! I'm not even exaggerating it was rotating by the time it reached T5!

onaclearday

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:13 pm

We took off on June 3 from Rwy 15. F9 DCA-DEN, full 320. Only realized it when I looked out the window after rotation and had a view of D.C. that I don't normally get after takeoff. I always sit on a/c left. Great view, too.

kpc777

Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:52 pm

I also flew out of DCA yesterday (7/12) and am pretty sure we took off from rwy 15.

Was fun!

SouthernDC9

Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:18 pm

Quoting Reply 13):
We took off on June 3 from Rwy 15. F9 DCA-DEN, full 320. Only realized it when I looked out the window after rotation and had a view of D.C. that I don't normally get after takeoff. I always sit on a/c left. Great view, too.

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a 320 take off that-a-way.

So kind of a sad story, but in 2010 my dad died somewhat unexpectedly and I had to book a day-of flight home... the best fare was on Continental through EWR, and DCA-EWR just happened to be on a Q400, which I had never flown on but wanted to... I felt bad letting my inner airline geek push his way through at such a sad time, but the heart wants what the heart wants or whatever. So I get to the airport, get on the plane, we taxi out... lo and behold, we're taking off from the freaky runway that I've seen in use but never had the pleasure of experiencing firsthand... it was a really neat takeoff with a great view of the city, and all I could think (while trying not to sob hysterically like the emotional basket case that I was) was that if there had to be a funeral and it had to be his, my dad would probably be pretty happy that I was able to enjoy all this cool-to-me stuff on my way down to it. (And he would, he was a good fellow.)

Flip side - don't fly through EWR if you're feeling sad and/or vulnerable, because this almost oppressive sense of "hey, nobody gives a ****, alright?" just really hangs like a fog over the place, it's insane (though the FA on the flight to LIT was outstanding and sat with me for a few minutes during the flight after I randomly burst into tears apropos of absolutely nothing).
What does AA/US merger mean for CLT/JFK/PHX/North America/Southern Hemisphere/God's Plan for the Universe

B777LRF

Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:42 pm

Of course it's not normal. The two guys, or girls for that matter, sitting up front really have a death wish and once they've chewed on all the numbers, found out a given runway is too short, they're going to choose just that one for their take-off!

Or, alternatively, you have a couple of professionals up front having a cool, calm and collected view of present conditions, and from a set of alternatives they choose one that's safe, efficient and in line with company procedures.
Signature. You just read one.

flyerboyek

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:28 pm

I've departed from runway 15 once: June 2010, in a PSA CR2. Was a super fast taxi from the 35A/B commuter parking area.

I once landed on 33 on a DL MD-90. It was late at night and 1-19 were closed for maintenance. It was a super hard landing and the captain made a PA to apologize for it. Have also landed on 15 on the Delta Shuttle E-175. Totally uneventful.

Rockinflyer

Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:35 pm

Gentlemen,

You have to experience it at least once. What a feeling. Lineup on runway. Parking brake on......Full thrust. PACS off, so no air in the cabin......you're sweating in the summer heat....and then....when they release the parking brake, your head tilts back onto the headrest, and remains there until takeoff !

It's amazing how little runway a 752 can get away with using! I have done SNA on it and although it shakes, rattles, and growls, it just catapults into the air and it's smooth flying. I do know pilot will bring the engines to pretty much full thrust before letting go of the breaks. Thus, the catapult effect! And YES, you really feel it!!!!
AA,AC,AF,BA,BN,BW,CO,DL,FL,F9,HA,KL,NA,PA,RW,TW,UA,WA,WN

tb727

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:10 am

15 is cool and all but one of the most memorable departures I have done in my career was off of 4 at DCA in a Falcon 20, you line up more or less pointing right at the Capitol building. Made an immediate right turn after takeoff and followed the Anacostia River to the NE, best view of the city ever. I think it's fairly rare, I always thought most operations used 1/19.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

AirCalSNA

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:22 am

Gentlemen,

Nuff said.

Perhaps the only experience that can top it is taking off from SNA facing backwards, which used to be possible when some WN planes still had them. Better than most amusement-park rides!

flyerboyek

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:49 am

Quoting tb727 (Reply 19):
Made an immediate right turn after takeoff and followed the Anacostia River to the NE, best view of the city ever.

And if you're headed to the N.Y. metro area, the 4 departure via the Anacostia easily cuts 10-15 minutes off your flying time. Especially if you're departing off 1 and have to follow the Potomac up past Bethesda before making the right turn to the SWANN/PALEO/AGARD area.

tb727

Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:05 am

Quoting flyerboyek (Reply 21):
And if you're headed to the N.Y. metro area, the 4 departure via the Anacostia easily cuts 10-15 minutes off your flying time. Especially if you're departing off 1 and have to follow the Potomac up past Bethesda before making the right turn to the SWANN/PALEO/AGARD area.

Yes, I was heading to Delaware and if we went off of 1 it would have doubled the flight time! I wonder what the advantage is going off 15 vesus 19.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Ps76

Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:56 am

Hi!

Sorry to hear of your going through the motions. Like someone else said above maybe ignorance is bliss. You have a common pilot mentality (from reading magazines written by pilots!). Maybe you should switch careers into aviation. Then you'd always be in control!

Many thanks.

Pierre

United_fan

Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:20 pm

I've done that one,before. Also,you must add B6 BUR-JFK . What a rush! Landing at BUR is fun,too!
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

peachair

Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:29 pm

I have both landed and taken off from RWY15. The winds were such that 15 made sense - I was on an E190 (USAirways Express). I dont think that any jet without leading edge devices should use this RWY.

The landing on RWY15 oon a US Airways Express CRJ200 was harrowing. There were Thunderstorms and we had to rather sharp and steep turns on final under high winds which made for a fun arrival.

flylku

Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:44 pm

Quoting IADCA (Reply 3):
I was on a UA 757 DCA-DEN a couple weeks ago that took off on 15. That was a fun one.

Are you absolutely certain because that really is shocking? This is my home airport and I've never seen a departure of anything that big on 15/33. What were the winds?

I did IAD-DUB in a 757 last week. At the time of the departure it was still 90 degrees and the captain went out of his way to taxi out to the very end of 1R: every inch can count. Of course we did not use anything close to the 11,500 available but then again we didn't lose an engine...
...are we there yet?

Alnicocunife

Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:21 pm

Quoting dirtyfrankd (Thread starter):
I definitely started having a huge panic attack..

Maybe you should rethink flying?

I have complete trust that the system (airline, ATC, etc) will get me where I want to go safely. (eventually, sometimes by bus)

smittyone

Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:27 pm

Quoting B777LRF (Reply 16):

Of course it's not normal. The two guys, or girls for that matter, sitting up front really have a death wish and once they've chewed on all the numbers, found out a given runway is too short, they're going to choose just that one for their take-off!

Haha - but I think the point was his fear that they brainfarted and taxied to the wrong runway by accident like the night of the Lexington crash. Can't really see how someone would make that mistake at DCA but you never know I guess.

cbphoto

Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:32 pm

Agree 100% I even have you beat at SNA! Riding jump seat on a UPS 757 SNA-SDF we rotated on the 1000 ft markers on the other side of the runway! What a rush and experience it was, wish the average Joe could witness a T/O like that from the flight deck! It would truly show we do more then just "push buttons"    
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos