Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jmc1975
Topic Author

Background Question About WestJet's C-FUWS

Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:42 am

Does anybody know the background on what transpired when WestJet inducted C-FUWS into its fleet. Clearly, someone at WS had a twisted since of humor when registering it. I could imagine WS taking jabs at the competition, but certainly not at themselves. Can anyone shed any light on this particular aircraft's bizarre registration number?

tguman

Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:50 am

I think WestJet was handed a block of registrations, and this was included in the block.

I have heard that tail 201 - C-FWAD's registration was chosen by the WestJet maintenance head because that aircraft was apparently very difficult to get into service.

TGUman
Life is a Mine Field.

railker

Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:49 pm

The TC Civil Aircraft Register lists a lot of regs of C-F*WS, including ...

C-FBWS
C-FIWS
C-FJWS
C-FKWS
C-FUWS
C-FZWS

Definitely funny, though probably just pure chance of the draw. I've seen a couple ones that seem like self-jabs on Air Canada Jazz Dash 8's, including C-GONR and C-FAIL -- though amusing, probably also just coincidence.

longhauler

Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:15 pm

Quoting jmc1975 (Thread starter):
I could imagine WS taking jabs at the competition, but certainly not at themselves

Exactly, this would be far more appropriate on an Air Canada aircraft.

I suppose someone, somewhere within the airline makes an assessment on how appropriate these registrations are. Air Canada's DC-8-63s had CF- TIL, TIM, TIN, etc, all the way to TIX, but no TIT. (I did see CF-TIT on a Piper Cherokee once though)

It's like AC's B767 ship 622 had registration C-FUCL. Ship 621 actually came later by a few months, I was anxious to see what registration she would carry. Luckily it was not what everyone feared!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

RobK

Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:29 pm

Just coincidental. Westjet ask for registrations with WJ or WS in them. If none of those are available then they make do with a single W.

tribird1011

RE: Background Question About WestJet's C-FUWS

Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:52 pm

Quoting RobK (Reply 4):
Just coincidental. Westjet ask for registrations with WJ or WS in them. If none of those are available then they make do with a single W.

That is very true -- every single registration in the WS fleet has a W in it somewhere... on the same note, every TS registration has either TS or AT combinations (there's only about 20 planes or so, so i guess it's easier to do...)

HorizonGirl

RE: Background Question About WestJet's C-FUWS

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:39 pm

I thought I was the only one who noticed this gem! Actually, C-FUWS was the first WS aircraft I had ever flown on. I couldn't help but crack up a little when I saw it. Though it is just a coincidence, I do find it humorous.

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos