Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aztrainer

Phoenix Aviation Thread Part 1

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:12 pm

Quoting dlramp4life (Reply 248):
I don't think the airports will compete. F9 is only doing one flight a day on an A319. PHX-DEN is a flooded market with UA,F9,WN,and US flying the route. I think F9 will be successful on the route for just one flight a day. Maybe in the future they will run CUN charters, but only time will tell.

I am wondering if they are going to funnel the DEN flights to AZA to go into Mexico. There is probably more of a call for it in PHX than DEN and it is closer. Last time I was spotting at PHX, I saw an RJ by AM. I could also be that they want to get their foot in the door as a "founding" member.

What is the range of a A-319? Could they reach Central America or Belize from AZA?

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 247):
The thread's been quiet recently, How's everyone doing so far? Anything interesting circulating around the rumor table?

Welcome to the wonderful world of summer break being over. I am back at teaching, so I have little time during the week to keep up on internet items.

PHX787
Topic Author

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:25 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 249):
Was there a Russian plane at the ANG/Swift ramp on Tuesday? I saw something that looked like a Russian 757, but only had a quick glimpse as we took off.

I just dug through Flightaware but I couldn't find anything,

except for this:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N4121T

Apparently there's a Bagdad, Arizona.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

aztrainer

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:29 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 251):

Yes there is and it is a mining town like a lot of Arizona towns. There is also a Miami, AZ also. (BUT you better pronounce it Mi-am-A and not like the Florida place.....)

[Edited 2012-08-11 13:30:50]

4holer

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:52 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 249):
Was there a Russian plane at the ANG/Swift ramp on Tuesday? I saw something that looked like a Russian 757, but only had a quick glimpse as we took off.

That'd be a Tu-204 per http://www.visitingphx.com/charters.html
I was a little surprised no one here had mentioned it! I was personally wondering if it had anything to do with rumors of the Coyotes buyer finally lining up investor money!
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

PHX787
Topic Author

Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:02 am

Quoting 4holer (Reply 253):
I was a little surprised no one here had mentioned it! I was personally wondering if it had anything to do with rumors of the Coyotes buyer finally lining up investor money!

Wow that's shocking to see a 204 in the valley!

And the buyer is actually a guy who used to own San Jose

edit:

Looks like a haboob......again. How do these planes land in the dust? IFR?

[Edited 2012-08-11 18:00:37]

aztrainer

Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:39 pm

Tu-204 or also the 757ski.....

IFR landing when in a dust storm with a larger separation. I would think wind sheer would also be more prevalent. I feel sorry for the ground guys as they get covered in it and it gets everywhere. Then you have to finish your shift with the lovely gritty feeling. Get home to take a shower and see the water brown.

Maverick623

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:27 pm

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 251):

Along with a Bumble Bee, Nowhere, Why, Crown King, Surprise, and a few other oddball names.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

mach2is2slowaz

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:12 am

How much longer does anyone guess before IWA airspace goes from Class D to Class C. I am a hot air balloon pilot who flies in the Chandler area and this could change the locations where I fly from.

PHX787
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:28 am

Quoting mach2is2slowaz (Reply 257):
How much longer does anyone guess before IWA airspace goes from Class D to Class C. I am a hot air balloon pilot who flies in the Chandler area and this could change the locations where I fly from.

I would expect the change to happen maybe when F9 begins service. The more flights at AZA being added, obviously the sooner the airspace will change.

But that's all up to PHX center

Maverick623

Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:22 am

How much longer does anyone guess before IWA airspace goes from Class D to Class C
Quoting PHX787 (Reply 258):
I would expect the change to happen maybe when F9 begins service

I don't think one extra flight a day is enough to justify changing airspace class. If G4 and NK start adding frequencies, it'll happen sooner.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

runzel

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:03 am

Hope my query not too trivial, is there a good aircraft spotting place at Sky Harbour, that can be reached by car, to allow an almost (75%) disabled enthusiast? Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance!

wn676

Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:03 am

PHX center

PHX doesn't have an enroute facility, that function is handled by ZAB.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

PHX787
Topic Author

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Quoting runzel (Reply 260):
Hope my query not too trivial, is there a good aircraft spotting place at Sky Harbour, that can be reached by car, to allow an almost (75%) disabled enthusiast? Any advice appreciated, thanks in advance!

Well the terminal 4 garage is accessable by car. The only problem is there's about a 4 foot wall at the top of the garage preventing people from falling onto the tarmac.

I also frequent the Air Lane location but between the road and the fence there's a guardrail and a rough shoulder.

Quoting wn676 (Reply 261):
PHX doesn't have an enroute facility, that function is handled by ZAB.

My bad, sorry.

mach2is2slowaz

Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:54 am

I have heard rumors about the IWA airspace reclassification from Class D to Class C and that many pilots who fly into CHD are not very happy about it. I read something about it in the AZ republic but couldn't find the article.

PHX787
Topic Author

Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:32 pm

Hey guys in the tower I had a question: I was volunteering in terminal 3 and 4 yesterday and saw DL sent a charter from SNA to PHX. What was that about?

acjflyer

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:36 am

The storm that passed through the valley last night presented some very interesting diversions. Frontier diverted a flight to AZA and GYR. I've also got a picture of a DL 757 skirting around the dust storm a few days ago. Based off of the street sign in the picture you'll be able to see how it was a bit off track for approach. I'll post it on here in a few days.

seabiscuit

Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:46 am

Quoting runzel (Reply 260):

If you like corporate aircraft, try the south end off 24th street. 24th and i think old tower road.

If you like to see landings of large a/c and such I like airlane road on the north end. North side, east end of the runway is the best. Left seat food joint moved to i think scottsdale airport but you still might be able to go up the stairs to the roof area.
Seabiscuit

PHX787
Topic Author

Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:44 am

Quoting acjflyer (Reply 265):
The storm that passed through the valley last night presented some very interesting diversions. Frontier diverted a flight to AZA and GYR. I've also got a picture of a DL 757 skirting around the dust storm a few days ago. Based off of the street sign in the picture you'll be able to see how it was a bit off track for approach. I'll post it on here in a few days.

GYR?? That's strange. Upload the photo! I want to see it!

skywaymanaz

Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:21 pm

Quoting acjflyer (Reply 265):
The storm that passed through the valley last night presented some very interesting diversions. Frontier diverted a flight to AZA and GYR.

Looks like the AZA diversion was flight 861 DEN-PHX. Can't seem to find the GYR diversion. I see there was an F9 test flight of some sort to southeast Arizona from there though, probably from the maint shop there. I like seeing the planes all lined up when I drive to my tiedown. There have been a few Frontier planes there lately, wasn't sure if they were coming into the fleet or getting parted out like the 8 y/o Malev birds getting scrapped.

PHX787
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:19 am

Anybody wanna tell me why I saw an HA plane landing from OAK around 4:30PM today? I was rather surprised.

wn676

Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:47 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 269):

Anybody wanna tell me why I saw an HA plane landing from OAK around 4:30PM today? I was rather surprised.

Oakland Raiders charter.

PHX787
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:06 am

Quoting wn676 (Reply 270):
Oakland Raiders charter.

Dang I wish I heard about this earlier. When I'm not with people I usually am at the airport at that time filming the BA plane.

chrisair

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:25 am

Quoting PHX787 (Reply 271):
When I'm not with people I usually am at the airport at that time filming the BA plane.

Shouldn't you be in school by now?   You ASU kids are making my preferred Paradise Bakery at Tempe Marketplace very crowded.

PHX787
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:51 pm

Quoting chrisair (Reply 272):
Shouldn't you be in school by now? You ASU kids are making my preferred Paradise Bakery at Tempe Marketplace very crowded.

hahaha! I've been volunteering actually welcoming the new International students into ASU. We actually start classes on the 23rd  

cjpmaestro

Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:32 pm

I was just reading that the DOT denied Delta's application to move DTW-HND service to SEA-HND and a full review process must be followed. That being said, it seems like there is a HND route that is up for grabs. Could US successfully propose and operate PHX-HND?

wn676

Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:42 pm

Quoting cjpmaestro (Reply 274):
Could US successfully propose and operate PHX-HND?

Most likely not. The route would have to have good connectivity on both ends, something that the current slot restrictions at HND cannot accomodate. One of the many things that would work against US here. If they want to get their foot in the door in Japan or anywhere in Asia for that matter, NRT is a better option.

[Edited 2012-08-17 15:46:26]

PHX787
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:57 pm

Quoting cjpmaestro (Reply 274):
Could US successfully propose and operate PHX-HND?
Quoting wn676 (Reply 275):
Most likely not. The route would have to have good connectivity on both ends, something that the current slot restrictions at HND cannot accomodate. One of the many things that would work against US here. If they want to get their foot in the door in Japan or anywhere in Asia for that matter, NRT is a better option.

Unless US is operating a successful NRT operation they won't have any chance at making HND work well, especially given the restrictions at HND.

atcsundevil

Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:41 pm

There's no simple answer to that. Long story short, it's at least 4-5 years off. The airspace, as I'm sure you know, is very complex in the easy valley. Converting the airspace to a Charlie means navigating years of legal battles with AOPA and others. There's a reason there hasn't been a new Class C in something like 25 years.

The other complexity is that IWA ATCT is managed by Serco, not the FAA. The FAA has procedures for converting a tower from FAA to contract, but not the other way around (although the FAA never actually had IWA tower...it was USAF, then ANG, then contract). Its never been done before and no one really knows how to do it. IWA has been the only instance where it is apparent that the FAA will need to take control one of these days. Somehow. They'll want a new tower though, so it means Mesa would have to pony up more than just a new tower cab on the existing structure.

I would expect the change to happen maybe when F9 begins service. The more flights at AZA being added, obviously the sooner the airspace will change.

But that's all up to PHX center

You have much to learn, grasshopper. New airspace takes upwards of two years *minimum* to design and has to go through so many committees and reviews that the process typically takes at least three years. The airspace guys haven't done much of anything with it because they've been tied up with PRC for a long time now. The new PRC airspace was due to be implemented last May, but I guess has been held up by god only knows.. It will become radar controlled by P50 whenever it is implemented though, I think maybe in the next chart cycle. Its been in the works for close to four years now. After that, I think the plan is to work on bringing TUS into P50, then IWA. So, absolutely no chance of it happening any time soon.

PRC is relatively simple compared to the complexities of IWA. Creating new Class C or B airspace means everyone under the sun is going to sue. AOPA thinks the sky is falling (nothing new there), the residents are convinced their dogs will face psychological trauma from increased jet noise, and around here even the reservations get involved. Reservations getting involved is a tricky situation too, because they are in effect sovereign nations. *IF* it can be done, odds are it won't be implemented until nearly 2020.

And PHX center? Tisk tisk..

If you're an ASU student then why are you not in the aviation program? Saying "Poly is in the middle of nowhere" isn't a valid excuse anymore, although it was when I was a freshman.

SA7700

RE: Phoenix Aviation Thread Part 1

Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:09 pm

This thread has become quite long and difficult to follow for some users. The thread will therefore be locked and any posts added after the thread lock will be removed for housekeeping purposes only.

Please feel free to continue your discussion in part 2 which can be found here: Phoenix Aviation Thread Part 2

Enjoy the website!  

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos