Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AVLAirlineFreq
Topic Author

New Airline Planned For Naples, FL (APF)

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:27 pm

A new carrier, Naples Connection, is planning "virtually scheduled" flights beginning this fall between APF and Orlando, EYW, FLL, and MIA. Flights would begin October 22 using Cessna Grand Caravan equipment. The carrier is a subsidiary of Twin Air Calypso Limited.

http://www.winknews.com/Local-Florid...ving-into-Naples-Municipal-Airport

http://worldairlinenews.com/2012/07/...duled-flight-to-four-destinations/

ZaphodB

RE: New Airline Planned For Naples, FL (APF)

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:02 pm

"A person would be able to board an airplane in Naples at 8 a.m. in the morning, and be on the beach in Marsh Harbour or Harbor Island by 3 or 3:30 in the afternoon," Naples Connection CEO Clayton Gamber said Monday."

This sounds nuts.

You can get in a car in Naples at 8am, drive to FLL and be on the beach in the Bahamas by 3pm (probably sooner) already.

jmbweeboy

Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:30 pm

Been a Naples resident for 28 years. This idea won't last one month past the end of the next peak season (jan-apr).

JMBWEEBOY

doulasc

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:23 am

Is there any airline service to APF these days or must Naples residence drive to RSW for airline service. Wasn't JetBlue looking at APF?

SkyTeam7488

Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:08 am

Having grown up in Naples, I have seen many airlines come and go. Nothing has been able to sustain itself with RSW only a 30-40 min drive. As far as jetBlue is concerned, there is no way an A320 or even an E190 could take off from the runway at APF (approx. 5000ft?). It just sounds like another rich investors pipe dream.
You only live once... So live the high life.

B6JFKH81

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:58 pm

Quoting SkyTeam7488 (Reply 4):
As far as jetBlue is concerned, there is no way an A320 or even an E190 could take off from the runway at APF (approx. 5000ft?).

Please see discussion thread from a few weeks ago:

JetBlue Eyeing Naples (APF) (by airportugal310 Jun 26 2012 in Civil Aviation)
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

Ps76

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:35 pm

Hi!

That was a nice report thanks. Not only was the journalist lady good looking but she got her aviation fact right I think. She called it a jet-prop which is pretty much what a Cessna Caravan is I think. Not sure why they kept filming that Piaggio Avanti (if it was that?) but it looked pretty cool.

I've never been to Naples, the closest I ever got was Sanibel/Captiva but I reckon if they kept costs down as much as possible and offered low fares they might be able to attract customers away from Ft.Myers or other places. Their fares would have to be better than the competetion though I think.

More importantly what does their planned livery look like!

Many thanks.

Pierre

NASCARAirforce

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:47 pm

"virtually scheduled?" I know it is only a Grand Caravan but I don't know if they can run a constant schedule - some days might fill a plane, others no. This sounds more like another air taxi. These little "virtual schedule" airlines remind me of that little airline trying to start Beech 1900 service out of DAB about ten years ago to various locations in Florida - I forgot what they were called. They had one plane painted, never took delivery of a second and never got off the ground - think the Beech 1900 ended up with Vintage Props and Jets, which also went belly up a couple years later.

OB1504

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:38 am

I seem to recall a company by the name of Exec Air flying a 1956 Cessna 182 (!) on "scheduled" flights between APF and MIA. Are they still flying?

FI642

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:48 pm

APF is such a limited market. RSW is not that far away, and certainly has better amenities.
737MAX, Cool Planes for the Worlds Coolest Airline.

GolfBravoRomeo

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:15 pm

I have fond memories of APF. My first log book entry is a local flight from APF in a C-152. And my only flight in a DC-3 was APF-MIA on PBA. Before RSW was built I preferred a connection in MIA over Page nonstop, not any more but I wish them well.

Q

Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:47 am

Many years ago, Piedmont used to be jet mainline from MIA to APF. It was a Fokker 28 jet.

Q

AirbusA6

Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:25 am

Am I the only person who thought this topic was about Naples Italy...flights to Orlando sort of made sense as well (holiday flights to Florida for southern Italians) until i saw the use of Cessnas  
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos