Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Chicagoflight
Topic Author

United/Continental New FA Uniforms

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:37 am

The sketches are out ! What'cha think ???

Chicagoflight
Topic Author

RE: United/Continental New FA Uniforms

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:47 am

Also which incarnation of wings will survive ? United ? Contintental ? or a hybrid design ?

UNITED AIRLINES

CONTINENTAL AIRLINES

PHX787

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:51 am

Quoting Chicagoflight (Reply 1):
Also which incarnation of wings will survive ? United ? Contintental ? or a hybrid design ?

I'm assuming the globe is gonna be the survivor, but a hybrid would be awesome.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

aznmadsci

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:11 am

I'd assume the tie and scarf are from sCO. I'm intrigued with the dresses and that one "patterned" apron. Also I hope this will end the skort/shorts I could not stand PMCO days, esp on the short 737 hops.

Who's the designer? Did they still use Cynthia Rowley?
The journey of life is not based on the accomplishments, but the experience.

UA933

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:14 am

Very boring and dull uniforms. If that's the way they are going they can also keep the hideous current ones at UA and save money.
united - It's time to fly!

VXCabinCrew

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:23 am

Wow! I think the men's uniforms are very sharp! I especially like the tie/sweater combos. I didn't know new uniforms were planned, but it's past time and will help the front line employees feel and look better. I hope the actual pieces reflect these sketches. Good job  

RIXrat

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:30 am

On the first page, Darth Vader, anyone?

Aeri28

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:52 am

I like them, sharp. I love the mens half coat and full coat, and what is that on the 2nd row, first male? Is that a waist jacket? I love it. A sweater selection is always nice. Too bad one of the mens selection of sweaters wasn't patterned too, maybe a blue and gray pinstrip? I like the range they get to select in any case For the women, the patterned apron is nice and the selection of dresses. I've never been a huge fan of pantsuits for women IMO, but that s my opinion.

All that is missing IMO is a splash of color somewhere. But I guess Red is not very United...

virgincrew

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:57 am

I think they're great !!

About time the airline got a re-freshed look for it's staff since the merger....

What are the crew wearing at the moment, are some in United & some in Continental uniforms ???
Hello Beautiful !!!

Chicagoflight
Topic Author

Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:31 am

Quoting virgincrew (Reply 8):
What are the crew wearing at the moment, are some in United & some in Continental uniforms ???

They are still wearing their old United and old Continental uniforms. With the individual ratified new CBAs for both groups they are allowed to wear the others' wings and/or scarves as a show of solidarity as they move toward a joint CBA for both groups.

The one thing missing from the new uniforms is the Continental gold accents. Not sure why they left them out.

Senchingo

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:52 pm

I really like them. Good combo of fresh but still business.

Quoting VXCabinCrew (Reply 5):
I especially like the tie/sweater combos

Me too! Just the blue sweater combo for me looks a little bit too "casual".

Can anybody explain which uniform is for which department?

First row: Flight crew jackets
Second row: Looks like left side is check-in/gate staff, right side CA with apron
Third row: CA? What's the middle one (black sweater)?
Fourth row: Is that cargo? What's the blue ones?

chepos

Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:07 pm

Quoting senchingo (Reply 10):
Can anybody explain which uniform is for which department?

First row: Flight crew jackets
Second row: Looks like left side is check-in/gate staff, right side CA with apron
Third row: CA? What's the middle one (black sweater)?
Fourth row: Is that cargo? What's the blue ones?

Per the title I believe these are all F/A uniforms. Anything is an improvement over the horrible UAL uniform.

Regards,

Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

shamrock604

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:12 pm

Wow. A US airline dressing its crew in navy and grey.

Who'd have thunk it?

flyerboy1990

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:14 pm

These do look pretty good. I wonder if that really is the blue they will use for the dresses and sweater. It's a bit more teal which I like! Or is it supposed to be drab navy?

Anyone else think they could have had a signature piece like DL's red dress?
Flown in: 712, 722, 73G, 738, 752, DC10, CR2, CR9, A319, A320 Want to fly in: A330, 767, 777, MD80, E170 series

SkyTeamTriStar

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:33 pm

It's the same 'ole style --- NO style!

Furthermore, the cut of the female jackets is a throwback to the 80s because DL F/A didn't really care for this very same style of cut, either. They felt as though it showed too much of the waist line & hips. Does anyone else see what I'm seeing?

einsteinboricua

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:42 pm

The second sketch kinda looks like US's FA uniforms.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

krisyyz

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:49 pm

They look pretty bland and generic, I guess UA wants the new uniforms to be inline with their a/c colour scheme  

KrisYYZ

kgaiflyer

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:52 pm

Quoting einsteinboricua (Reply 15):
The second sketch kinda looks like US's FA uniforms.

Actually, several do (You'd see that if you flew "West" more).

Quoting shamrock604 (Reply 12):
Wow. A US airline dressing its crew in navy and grey.

Who'd have thunk it?

I've been on UA planes with jumpseating VX crew (a few live in northern Virginia) and can honestly say UA's crew uniforms trump VX's crew uniform.

EWRCabincrew

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:05 pm

It's a uniform. Not my every day wear. I wear the uniform that is given to me well. It is clean, professional and in line with company standards for wearing it. I am not walking a fashion catwalk, I am not wearing my uniform for others, I am wearing it as part of my job. I don't want something trendy, or hip. I want something that is comfortable to wear in hot climates and cold. Summer and winter. Rain, snow and shine. And lasts.

I am here to perform my job well and to make sure you have a great trip and experience and more importantly, come back. If, somehow, what I wear influences that , so be it.
You can't cure stupid

codc10

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:21 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 18):

I am here to perform my job well and to make sure you have a great trip and experience and more importantly, come back. If, somehow, what I wear influences that , so be it.

That's a professional attitude. Tip of the hat to you, my friend...

sr117

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:46 pm

Cynthia Rowley bailed on the project a long time ago, this uniform was done in house by one of the uniform companies. Yeah you can tell right ? : )

Anyhow, well, anything is better right now than having two different kinds of aging uniforms, the UA airport customer service uniform is particularly horrid. Having a cohesive image is an improvement.

Now, UA isn't pushing the envelope by any means, but I don't think anyone around here expected UA to push any envelopes in the style department like DL or VX did.

roseflyer

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:54 pm

I sslay not bad. Plenty of options for different body types but all seem to work together well enough. Not as trendy as the DL uniforms but more professional than the US uniforms.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

MadameConcorde

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:06 pm

Quoting UA933 (Reply 4):
Very boring and dull uniforms. If that's the way they are going they can also keep the hideous current ones at UA and save money.

I can't remember United flight attendants wearing nice uniforms in ages. I am a pre-merger Million + Miler with them with almost 1,5MM in the "bank".

They should really spend that money feeding their economy and business class passengers better/healthier food on their international flights. The food quality/quantity are terrible!!! Repainting the planes and giving new outfits to the cabin crew aren't really of the utmost importance.

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

FlyHossD

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:12 pm

Black and blue! Somehow - given how things are going at UA - that seems appropriate!
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

UA772IAD

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:34 pm

They're OK- but not much more than that. Specifically,

- The men's looks fine, but there's only so much that you can do with a suit anyways
- I like the print on the apron
- I think white is a terrible idea for the shirt colour and I would imagine that feedback will probably be negative in the long run. Not only does white show dirt and stains, but also undergarments and sweat. Why not retain the light blue???

-Perhaps the portfolio artist just didn't include a sketch, but is the button down blouse and skirt combo not an option anymore?

- Most flight attendants don't wear scarfs anyways, so the uniform will look pretty generic without them.

Quoting SR117 (Reply 20):
Cynthia Rowley bailed on the project a long time ago, this uniform was done in house by one of the uniform companies. Yeah you can tell right ? : )

Yep, it looks like something right out of the Cintas catalog....

Quoting Chicagoflight (Reply 1):

I think the matted metal and small shield looks timeless. The golden box, nice at the time, should have stayed in the 90s.

Quoting Chicagoflight (Reply 9):
The one thing missing from the new uniforms is the Continental gold accents. Not sure why they left them out.

Gold/brass accents are tacky and look cheap on ANY uniform (minus the stripes signifying purser/FO/Captain).

The uniforms are in line with the current marketing/branding scheme- bland, with little creativity, so they get an 'A' for consistency.

If SW enforced stricter regulations with grooming standards and appearance, these uniforms would probably look decent. LH has a pretty bland uniform too, yet their crews always look polished and wear them with this exemplary attitude:

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 18):

codc10

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:48 pm

this uniform was done in house by one of the uniform companies. Yeah you can tell right ? : )

Yes, by Cintas. Incidentally, Cintas advertises Cynthia Rowley as one of their in-house design consultants.

Italianflyer

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:50 pm

All I can say is that those dark unis will not be fun in IAH, DC or even ORD in July/August. Its gonna be a brutal haul from the employee parikng lot to the terminal  

Chicagoflight
Topic Author

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:54 pm

These are the new FA wings. BLAH

b727fa

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:57 pm

I'm intrigued as to how similar they look to the USAirways basic styles.
My comments/opinions are my own and are not to be construed as the opinion(s) of my employer.

MadameConcorde

Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:58 pm

Quoting UA772IAD (Reply 24):
LH has a pretty bland uniform too, yet their crews always look polished and wear them with this exemplary attitude:

The flowered apron we see on the first set of United drawings looks totally out of place.

I miss the days when the girls working on the planes were called Air Hostesses and the men were called Stewards. There was something glamorous about the profession that now no longer exists.

Air France uniforms (Concorde and subsonics) were always classic and stylish. There was always a little plus going with the uniforms to add a touch of class to them.

http://www.uniformfreak.com/1airfrance.html

I love how the ANA cabin crew are groomed and how they are dressed. They are absolutely wonderful.
http://worldscrews.blogspot.fr/2011/11/ana-movie-happy-flight.html

JAL's look nice too but I still prefer ANA
http://worldscrews.blogspot.fr/2011/...attendants-from-ground-to-air.html

There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

tommy767

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:15 pm

I like them a lot. They look different than the demos they had out last summer. I think men wore a navy blue shirt instead, and the stripes were gold instead of silver. As a matter of fact if you notice from the two silver stripes on the jackets, this would be something they took from Legacy United on the current uniforms. Very surprised to see so little gold coloring on the uniforms.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

technobie

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:18 pm

I'm sitting here thinking "ok, the pictures aren't too bad --- the uniforms are a bit boring and same-ol-same-ol". But what is the problem with these pictures? What....is......it......hmmmmmm..... OH!! Now I know! In real life, there are so few flight attendants that are actually young and hip and in shape like those depicted in the pictures! So, the new uniforms that are looking rather bland and boring in the pictures are going to look even more so in real life.

Sorry, I went there, but seriously. The US airline industry really needs to take a look at the people who are representing their airline and make them presentable, hip yet comfortable, professional without looking so "corporate"..... come on guys!

laca773

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:18 pm

Quoting aznmadsci (Reply 3):

Who's the designer? Did they still use Cynthia Rowley?

She pulled out when UA wanted to sub certain textiles for less expensive ones. She spent a lot of time with both ground and aircrews to come up with something that was practical, yet, something they would have pride in wearing.

Quoting chepos (Reply 11):

Per the title I believe these are all F/A uniforms. Anything is an improvement over the horrible UAL uniform.

. If Ms. Rowley was still the principal designer, she would have used more blocks of color and added more gold, to liven these looks up.

UA772IAD

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:19 pm

Quoting Chicagoflight (Reply 27):

Thanks for the update- and I agree. Bland and tacky looking.

[quote=MadameConcorde,reply=29]

While out of place, I think the print ads some much needed color to the uniform - but it could have been incorporated better.

You are right, NH always has professional looking crews. I like their uniforms too, though I don't see too many FAs adopting the bow-tie scarf in the US. Even without it, the navy and pinstripe looks sharp, authoritative and business stylish.

I like the color black a lot, but I don't think it wears well as a uniform color- much like pure white.

retrolivery

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:36 pm

Could the patterned blue and white option possibly be something similar to what AF use on their Polynesia sectors? UA inherited quite the Pacific Island network from CO, it could very well be a nod towards that.
A3, AA, AC, AI, AK, AM, AP, AZ, B6, BA, CO, DL, EK, EY, FL, FI, FR, KL, KM, LH, MA, MH, MS, OA, OK, OS, SR, TA, TG, U2,

DeltaMD90

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:38 pm

Didn't know UA/CO FAs were 9 feet tall    

They're ok, kinda boring

FlyingSicilian

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:38 pm

Doesn't really look like wings to me. More like the chrome on a late 50s American automobile
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

flyerboy1990

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:51 pm

Also, The one female flight attendant toward the center looks to be a plus sized model...interesting. Anyone else see it?
Flown in: 712, 722, 73G, 738, 752, DC10, CR2, CR9, A319, A320 Want to fly in: A330, 767, 777, MD80, E170 series

kgaiflyer

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:06 pm

Quoting flyerboy1990 (Reply 37):
Also, The one female flight attendant toward the center looks to be a plus sized model...interesting. Anyone else see it?

Most female CO/UA flight attendants are real women as opposed to anorexic/bulimic supermodels. I don't understand your point.

FWAERJ

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:09 pm

Quoting UA772IAD (Reply 24):
Yep, it looks like something right out of the Cintas catalog....

Funny you should say this, because Cintas is the lead company in this project.
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

PHX787

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:29 pm

Eh They're ok, i think. Kinda too modern if you ask me.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

N766UA

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:42 pm

I know we dropped the gogo boots 40 years ago but, still, those are the most uninteresting, unflattering uniforms ever. Yawn.

N766UA

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:43 pm

No kidding. Are these for flight attendants or Chrysler 300s?

b757aus

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:54 pm

The new wings look very classy!

flyerboy1990

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:08 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 38):

Maybe that came across wrong. It's cool that they did include the "thicker" woman. Most illustrations we see like this or other releases of uniforms have twig thin models wearing the uniforms. I thought it was cool that they showed a woman like that in the presentation.

rwy04lga

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:13 pm

Quoting flyerboy1990 (Reply 37):
Anyone else see it?

Yes, there's another one as well.

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 38):
I don't understand your point.

You don't? Some drawings depict slightly larger (read 'wider') sized women than the usual 9 foot tall skinny drawings. More clear?

Quoting b757aus (Reply 43):
The new wings look very classy!

The new wings look like crap.
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

laxboeingman

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:19 pm

I prefer to the second sketch to the first, but that is just my opinion. I like the new uniform sketches, but I was hoping to something better and more colorful. I like both wings, but I think that the globe will be the winner for that is the logo the airline uses. However, I could see them adding the UA seal as a tribute to the airline's history. They could put the seal on top of the globe, or something of that nature.

Thank you,

laxboeingman
The opinions I post are mine and not of any organization I am affiliated with.

kgaiflyer

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:26 pm

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 45):
You don't? Some drawings depict slightly larger (read 'wider') sized women than the usual 9 foot tall skinny drawings. More clear?

My query was already responded to by its writer.

So your off-base sarcasm serves no point.

You really should read all the posts  

gigneil

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:01 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 17):
I've been on UA planes with jumpseating VX crew (a few live in northern Virginia) and can honestly say UA's crew uniforms trump VX's crew uniform

You must be blind, sir.  

NS

UA772IAD

Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:36 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 39):
Funny you should say this, because Cintas is the lead company in this project.

shocking. They, up in Chicago, must have closed their eyes, opened to a page of the catalog at random and pointed blindly to a concept. And I'm only half joking. Why are there navy AND black variations?

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 45):
The new wings look like crap.

I agree. As others have said, this looks like a tacky reincarnation of a classic hood ornament.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos