Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fpetrutiu
Topic Author

Tarom (RO) Aircraft Orders - Upcoming?

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:08 pm

Hello all,

I had the pleasure to fly Tarom on FRA-OTP-FCO routes both on the venerable B737-300. Looking at airfleets statistics all of these frames are upwards of 18 years of age and probably have a lot of cycles on them as RO's fleet utilisation is pretty high. The two I was on were in remarkably good shape for their age and utilization.

Now the question comes up what's next for them? Will there be an order on the horizon to replace these birds? RO has currently 5 NG's and 4 A318 in the fleet as well. They were discussing about a year or so ago to standardize on one manufacturer, my guess would be Boeing, but have not heard anything since.

Their A310 is also up there in age, close to 20 years, however there is not need for a widebody in their fleet so I doubt this one will be replaced with another widebody. (they have 2 A310, one is used as the Romanian presidential transport and is in full VIP config), the other is being used on larger markets like TLV (which can easily be served with a B738).

Does anyone have any thoughts on these birds? It just seems that it would be high time for RO to consider replacements for these birds especially of they are thinking about the NEO or MAX as their backlogs are only getting longer.
Florin
Orlando, FL

JU068

RE: Tarom (RO) Aircraft Orders - Upcoming?

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:15 pm

How are they doing financially? I think it was mentioned here some time ago that the Romanian government is planning on stopping the subsidies (EU regulations), so I doubt they would be placing an order if the government can't secure the financial backing.

fpetrutiu
Topic Author

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:23 pm

Quoting ju068 (Reply 1):
How are they doing financially? I think it was mentioned here some time ago that the Romanian government is planning on stopping the subsidies (EU regulations), so I doubt they would be placing an order if the government can't secure the financial backing.

I think they are still loosing money as they had not made a profit in over a decade. I believe they estimate somewhere in the neighborhood of 46 mil EUR loss by the end of the year. However, that is a lot better than where they were 3 years ago (about 200 mil EUR).
Florin
Orlando, FL

PlymSpotter

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:33 pm

I have heard, and this is only a rumor, that Tarom were seriously considering the C Series.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

fpetrutiu
Topic Author

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:38 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 3):
I have heard, and this is only a rumor, that Tarom were seriously considering the C Series.

I think that would be a great choice for RO. I think it would acctualy be better than anything Airbus or Boeing has to offer. Keep the few NG's and replace everything else with the C series.  
Florin
Orlando, FL

krisyyz

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:39 pm

Quoting fpetrutiu (Thread starter):
4 A318 in the fleet as well

I thought RO was getting rid of their 318s?

Quoting ju068 (Reply 1):
I think it was mentioned here some time ago that the Romanian government is planning on stopping the subsidies (EU regulations), so I doubt they would be placing an order if the government can't secure the financial backing.

Sound like a familiar story  
Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 3):
Tarom were seriously considering the C Series

That would be significant, especially since the C-series would most likely replace the 737s in RO's fleet.

KrisYYZ

fpetrutiu
Topic Author

Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:51 pm

Quoting krisyyz (Reply 5):
I thought RO was getting rid of their 318s?

they want to, but I think that will come with the new order. If it is C-series as mentioned above, I would say it would be for about 10-15 airframes and convert the entire fleet to (B and A) to the C-series. However, I think they still need a few NG's for routes like Dubai, London, Madrid.

Acctually there was an order for a "new customer" for 15 C-series, 5 C100 and 10 C300. Although I doubt it was Tarom, but it would really fit: http://press.commercialaircraft.bombardier.com/en/20120708_news.jsp

[Edited 2012-07-22 08:53:20]
Florin
Orlando, FL

PlymSpotter

Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:00 pm

I expect much would depend on the status of the current fleet - owned or leased, I have no idea. If the A318s are owned and mostly paid for then keeping them running isn't such an issue despite the higher costs.

Dan  
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Burkhard

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:01 pm

The A310, A318 , 733 and ATR are owned, the 737 and 738 are leased. Since they won't get a lot for the A318 they better keep them another 12 years and dump the 73G.

dc9northwest

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Quoting Burkhard (Reply 8):
The A310, A318 , 733 and ATR are owned, the 737 and 738 are leased. Since they won't get a lot for the A318 they better keep them another 12 years and dump the 73G.

Are you sure the 73G's are leased? I was reasonably sure RO owned those. The 738 is definitely leased.

C-Series is a good match, but given ROs previous orders were all political, I somehow doubt it. But yeah, either C-Series or Embraer 190s would work best for RO.

JU068

Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:44 am

Quoting krisyyz (Reply 5):
Sound like a familiar story

Indeed it does, I just hope for a better ending  
Quoting fpetrutiu (Reply 2):
I think they are still loosing money as they had not made a profit in over a decade. I believe they estimate somewhere in the neighborhood of 46 mil EUR loss by the end of the year. However, that is a lot better than where they were 3 years ago (about 200 mil EUR).

Ouch... and I thought Jat Airways was bad with around 20 million loss. I really like Tarom, their service is really good, the crew is polite but doesn't smile too much (which I like) and their aircraft are in good shape. Well, all with the exception of their B737-800 which has 189 seats...

On a side note, isn't the A310 used by the Romanian government? I thought they were removed from Tarom's fleet.

dc9northwest

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:44 pm

Quoting ju068 (Reply 10):
On a side note, isn't the A310 used by the Romanian government? I thought they were removed from Tarom's fleet.

Nope, one of them still flies for RO... I think 4x weekly to TLV.

The other is used for the government.

fpetrutiu
Topic Author

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:21 pm

Quoting dc9northwest (Reply 9):
Are you sure the 73G's are leased? I was reasonably sure RO owned those. The 738 is definitely leased.

I think the only leased aircrafts are RO's fleet is the 737-800 and the 2 ATR72's.
Florin
Orlando, FL

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos