Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SCL767
Topic Author

WestJet Expands Services To ANU, CUR, LIR And ZLO

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:41 pm

WestJet will launch 4 new destinations and 12 routes during the Winter 2012 Season. Highlights include new services to ANU, CUR, LIR, and ZLO! Also, certain routes will operate as year-round services.

Sun-sational winter ahead!

Noise

RE: WestJet Expands Services To ANU, CUR, LIR And ZLO

Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:02 pm

Funny to see the addition of YLW-LAX just a few weeks after UA announced the new route.

avi8

Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:48 pm

Wow. An 8th daily to LGA. Looks like they are doing well there. Does anyone know the exact frequency adjustments? They did not specify all of them in the news article.
avi8

yegbey01

Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:53 pm

WJ wants ti protect its turf by announcing YLW-LAX. But come on....Can't they use the aircraft for a more high yield route?

Viscount724

Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:16 pm

Quoting avi8 (Reply 2):
Wow. An 8th daily to LGA. Looks like they are doing well there.

They announced the 8th flight a couple of months ago.
http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/...05/photorelease/q1/pr_050126h.html

I've heard reports that some WS flights YYZ-LGA have had very poor loads. They're still a minor player in the overall Toronto-New York market which currently has about 70 daily flights in each direction (all airports combined).

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:11 pm

I find the foreign airline agents who have never flown in a plane to be the worst on confusing the different airports. I have had more than once they want to book me xxx-IAD-DCA-yyy with like a hour and half stopover etc when changing tickets after weather problems. I had a relative that got booked xxx-jfk-lga-yyy and they clearly missed their connection sitting in traffic and they only knew the transfer they had to do because i told them. I think people get booked to land in LGA and fly out of JFK and just dont travel alot so they dont notice like we would. i imagine alot of people dont even know NYC itself has more than one airport they are not regulars on a.net like we are

Noise

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:25 am

Quoting slcdeltarumd11 (Reply 5):
I find the foreign airline agents who have never flown in a plane to be the worst on confusing the different airports.

Not just foreign airline agents, but some flight attendants too! I was on a flight from YUL-DCA and the gentleman sitting in back of me was told my the flight attendant that he needed to change terminals for his continuing flight to CDG...which clearly doesn't make sense as we were landing in DCA, so I had to turn around and tell him that he actually had to change airport and not just terminal. The FA didn't know he had to do that.

kiramakora

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:34 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 4):
I've heard reports that some WS flights YYZ-LGA have had very poor loads. They're still a minor player in the overall Toronto-New York market which currently has about 70 daily flights in each direction (all airports combined).

So shocking to see your usual WS bashing / AC supporting comment. Let us set aside the facts though. In the NYC-YTO market, WS uses standard jet service while the rest of the airlines use a mix of Jets, TP's, and Regional aircraft. So the correct metric to use is seat capacity which breaks down as follows for a typical weekday:

AA 5492 15%
AC 12806 36%
DL 1350 4%
PD 5810 16%
UA 4256 12%
WS 5899 17%

So instead of thinking WS is a "minor" player, it actually has the 2nd most amount of seats in the market. More importantly, given DL (to JFK) and UA (to EWR) are primarily hub-feeders, the share of actual local demand by WS is far more. Finally, remember, if WS struggles, EVERYONE struggles. As the airline whose cost is 25%-30% less than AC, if it is bleeding, AC is bleeding. Given AC's financial performance and margins, I don't think this is being made up with yield.

They have a brilliant new guy managing network planning and I am not surprised with these adds. Though, I hear that he is leaving for a large Asian airline.

Overall, great adds by WS. I am surprised to see ZLO however. I thought they would go to HUX personally.

RWA380

Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:30 am

Quoting Noise (Reply 1):
Funny to see the addition of YLW-LAX just a few weeks after UA announced the new route

AS has been providing an easy link for passengers between these points via SEA for quite a while, I wonder how these non-stops will affect the loads on AS. Anyone think if it could cause AS/QX to react in some way?
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

Hawaiian763

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:42 am

Glad to see a weekly YYC-Manzanillo flight added this year, YYC has lots of choices when it comes to picking a vacation spot in Mexico. I know its probably not likely, but I'd like to see YYC-OGG go daily, but that will require leasing more 757's I would think. I also see that CUN continues to have more flights added this year with the addition of a weekly YQT-CUN flight.

abrelosojos

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:02 pm

Great to see WS keep expanding. I am a little surprised with ANU and it will be interesting to see if the market can handle both WS and AC. If anything, it will hurt AC again. Also interesting to note that unlike other airlines in the YYZ-NYC market, WS keeps frequency the same between summer and winter. It will be good to see preliminary DOT traffic numbers - but anything above 50%, and WS has had a good start to the first season.

Quoting kiramakora (Reply 7):
They have a brilliant new guy managing network planning and I am not surprised with these adds. Though, I hear that he is leaving for a large Asian airline.

= Haha. I think I know who you are speaking of  . He has shook things over the past year I hear.

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 8):
AS has been providing an easy link for passengers between these points via SEA for quite a while, I wonder how these non-stops will affect the loads on AS. Anyone think if it could cause AS/QX to react in some way?

= AS is going to keep feeling the pressure - between WS, Allegiant, and the impending WN attack on HI.

Quoting Hawaiian763 (Reply 9):
I also see that CUN continues to have more flights added this year with the addition of a weekly YQT-CUN flight.

= I keep on getting surprised by the CUN adds. Is WS the largest international airline there?

Saludos,
A.
Live, and let live.

SANFan

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:25 pm

Interestingly, to me, this was also said in the article:

Quote:
WestJet will also expand service from various Canadian cities to Hawaii, California, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Mexico, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic.

Yet there were no details at all given about which routes were being expanded.

If anyone else is curious, this week's OAG thread
OAG Changes 7/27/2012: B6/DL/F9/LH/WN (by enilria Jul 24 2012 in Civil Aviation)
offers information on which of those routes are gaining frequencies this winter.

bb

wadadli

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:10 pm

Quoting abrelosojos (Reply 10):
Great to see WS keep expanding. I am a little surprised with ANU and it will be interesting to see if the market can handle both WS and AC. If anything, it will hurt AC again

Why are you surprised as there is sufficient demand? AC has always had good loads off this route and excellent yeilds for years with their outrageous fares. At peack AC does 3X weekly A320 from YYZ and 1X A319 from YUL. WS entry will certainly hurt AC yeilds but I would expect it to stimulate increased travel with expected lower fares.

These flights will compliment usual Transat Holidays weekly flights out of YYZ and YUL for Winter.

SCL767
Topic Author

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:33 pm

Quoting avi8 (Reply 2):

Wow. An 8th daily to LGA. Looks like they are doing well there. Does anyone know the exact frequency adjustments?

WS operates YYZ-LGA 8x daily Monday-Friday and 4x daily on Saturdays and Sundays.

Viscount724

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:35 pm

Quoting wadadli (Reply 12):
Quoting abrelosojos (Reply 10):
Great to see WS keep expanding. I am a little surprised with ANU and it will be interesting to see if the market can handle both WS and AC. If anything, it will hurt AC again

Why are you surprised as there is sufficient demand? AC has always had good loads off this route and excellent yields for years

AC has been serving ANU for more than 50 years. I think service started in either 1959 or 1960.

c172akula

Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:09 pm

Quoting Hawaiian763 (Reply 9):
but I'd like to see YYC-OGG go daily, but that will require leasing more 757's I would think.

Until they get their own metal on that route I will continue to use AC. No way I am gambling losing vacation time if a plane goes mechanical. At least with AC there are lots of options to get to OGG in a scenario like that.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos