Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mikect
Topic Author

Silver Airways (United)Flgt Lands At Wrong Airport

Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:58 pm

It looks like they mistook Fairmont for Clarksburg, WV. It seems the darkness and the fact that both fields were uncontrolled at the time probably played a role is this error.

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=453f2492&opt=0

[Edited 2012-08-08 14:01:35]

dcaviation

RE: Silver Airways (United)Flgt Lands At Wrong Airport

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:03 pm

Wow, who lets them fly the planes? This is inexcusable error.

Caspian27

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:10 pm

This is what happens when you see an airport in front of you that has a similar runway orientation to the airport you're supposed to land at, but don't back it up with your instruments. Bad situational awareness.
Meanwhile, somewhere 35,000 ft above your head...

xjet

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:18 pm

Quoting dcaviation (Reply 1):
Wow, who lets them fly the planes? This is inexcusable error

Seriously? That's a bit snarky, no? This happens from time to time. I remember NW landing at Ellsworth AFB instead of Rapid City Regional sometime back around 2001-02. And two weeks ago a Air Force C-17 landed at Peter O'Knight instead of McConnell in Tampa. TPF has a 4200 ft runway. CO landed on a taxiway in EWR in a 757.

Mistake? Yes. Humans at work? Yes? Pilots aren't perfect all the time. 

mikect
Topic Author

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:52 pm

Is this a new route for them as well? That would also contribute to something like this if that were the case.

bhmdiversion

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:55 pm

A buddy of mine at Silver said the Captain of this flight was an Ex-Colgan pilot who was just hired at Silver?

rwy04lga

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:57 pm

Quoting xjet (Reply 3):
Peter O'Knight instead of McConnell

Keep it real. Peter O. Knight and MacDill AFB.  
Just accept that some days, you're the pigeon, and other days the statue

xjet

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:04 pm

Quoting rwy04lga (Reply 6):
Keep it real. Peter O. Knight and MacDill AFB

My sincerest apologies.

Rdh3e

Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:04 pm

Quoting MikeCT (Reply 4):
Is this a new route for them as well? That would also contribute to something like this if that were the case.

Yes it is a new route for Silver.

Quoting bhmdiversion (Reply 5):
A buddy of mine at Silver said the Captain of this flight was an Ex-Colgan pilot who was just hired at Silver?

May have been, Colgan SF3 pilots are flooding out the gates and Silver is expanding their SF3 fleet.

Quoting dcaviation (Reply 8):
give then another chance to kill people. Why not.

How is landing safely on a runway A) posing serious danger to peoples lives, and B) Anything like landing on an elementary school?

Let's take this for what it is. Remember the guys that overflew MSP by an hour last year? Yes, they are still flying.

Here are some examples:

AF C17:
http://militarytimes.com/blogs/fligh...07/23/c-17-lands-at-wrong-airport/

RyanAir:
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Pilot+...+jet+at+wrong+airport.-a0143843234

USAir Express:
http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?d...8f7f08-d99f-40d5-a8d3-39e1585639a6

CO Connection:
http://findajetjob.com/news/2011/09/...-lands-at-wrong-louisiana-airport/

CO Express:
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...ield-jackson-international-airport

Northwest:
http://www.compilots.com/news/article517.html

Continental:
http://thecabin.net/stories/051297/pilot.html

Turkish:
http://www.defence.pk/forums/members...rong-airport-turkish-arilines.html

Northwest again:
http://combatace.com/topic/5588-airline-crew-lands-at-wrong-airport/

Need I go on? No one was injured in any of these instances, so I understand that's not six sigma confidence, but I'd say it's a fairly low probably that they were putting peoples lives in any real danger in this instance.

gigneil

Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:26 am

Clearly, mistakes do happen, and nobody is perfect. I'm certainly not, ask anyone.

And when one makes a mistake as a professional of this magnitude, one gets fired.

Don't give me anything about "how much night flying have you done". It doesn't matter. In any industry, a serious preventable mistake that is a basic 101 of your job is grounds for termination.

If I did something like this, I would fire myself. Because I am a professional, and I have pride in what I do.

NS

futureualpilot

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:00 am

No, the Capt. is ex Biz Ex and Eagle I believe.

For those of you crucifying the crew, it was a mistake. It wasnt the first time and it wont be the last, regional, major and military pilots have all done it. I would venture all professional pilots have mistaken one airport for another to some degree at some point during our careers. Fortunately through good CRM, situational awareness, ATC or dumb luck something like this was avoided in our experience. Fortunately in this one, nobody was injured or worse. I'm sure the pilots will either be retrained to the same standard we're all held to as professional aviators or relieved of their positions if it is deemed appropriate. We don't know what sort of schedule they were on, what the circumstances were or what the situation was. We weren't in the flight deck. When the investigation concludes we will know the story.

Landing at a different airport at night, on an unfamiliar route and landing on a school are two very different things. GMAFB.

Unbelievable, some of you, particularly those who do not fly or hold a pilot certificate demand absolute perfection out of us in one thread, the lambast us in another for turning down a sh*t contract or asking for better than we've gotten in the last decade plus. If you want us to be perfect then support us when we try to better our quality of life through a contract that sets a new bar for pilots everywhere. If not then be prepared to get what you pay for. Before anyone starts in, no, I, nor do any of my colleagues consider a bad contract an excuse to perform at anything less than our absolute best. We owe it to our customers, our crews and our employers to bring our A game each and every time we fly and we strive to do just that.

[Edited 2012-08-08 18:06:37]

[Edited 2012-08-08 18:08:33]

[Edited 2012-08-08 18:10:11]
Life is better when you surf.

xjet

Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:17 am

Quoting futureualpilot (Reply 16):
Don't give me anything about "how much night flying have you done". It doesn't matter. In any industry, a serious preventable mistake that is a basic 101 of your job is grounds for termination.

If I did something like this, I would fire myself. Because I am a professional, and I have pride in what I do.

Do you not believe in a safety culture that prefers learning from mistakes rather than punishing them?

That is the standard at almost every major airline in the world these days. Aviation used to be an industry where if you screwed up you were either dead or fired. Well, now you are either dead or smarter. We take people that make large and errors and re-train and re-train to find the path to the error and remedy it. Arguably, the pilot less likely to land at the wrong airport, is the one who has done it. The pilot who has inadvertently entered a thunderstorm is less likely to make that mistake again, etc etc.

Your assertion that a professional should "fire himself" is ineffective in my view. But that's your opinion and you are entitled to it. But I for one, am not going to sit on the sidelines and judge these pilots. There's plenty of that going on already.

-- edit.... this post is in reply to Gignel, not future united pilot.

[Edited 2012-08-08 18:18:40]

stratosphere

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:13 am

Quoting xjet (Reply 3):
Seriously? That's a bit snarky, no? This happens from time to time. I remember NW landing at Ellsworth AFB instead of Rapid City Regional sometime back around 2001-02. And two weeks ago a Air Force C-17 landed at Peter O'Knight instead of McConnell in Tampa. TPF has a 4200 ft runway. CO landed on a taxiway in EWR in a 757.

Yep NW also landed a DC-10 at Brussels instead of Frankfurt Germany. I guess it happens to the best.

jc2354

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:14 am

I know this may sound simple minded, but, does any airline have "check for the right airport" as part of their approach of landing checklist?

As an aside, I'm surprised there were 11 passengers on the flight.

jack
If not now, then when?

KBJCpilot

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:47 am

I am a pilot with 25 years experience and I can tell you that this does happen from time to time. It happened to me. I was flying a night time cross country with paying passengers and was flying into an area with two airports 8 miles apart. Both airports had runways arranged in a similar compass heading and were of similar lengths. In addition, both were on the eastern edge of their respective towns.

I was in contact with ATC throughout the duration of my flight and when approach told me that my destination was 10 miles at 1 o'clock I spotted the runway, cancelled flilght following, and followed all standard protocols including my call-outs on the CTAF. I landed and noticed that the taxiway was on the wrong side of the runway and it was then that I realized that I had landed at the wrong airport.

I pulled out the trusty sectional to figure out where the hell I was and figured out that I was 8 miles away from my intended target. I took off and called ATC and explained what had happened and they apologized about the mistake and gave me the "Prepare to copy number to call". I landed at my original destination, unloaded my guests, and called the ATC number and had a good conversation with the supervisor. No harm, no foul. They assumed that I was landing at the correct airport and I assumed that they gave me the right information.

I returned to my aircraft, took off, and asked for flight following to my home airport, and was happy that the controllers were very attentive to my location and made sure that I had my destination airport in sight, and confirmed my position, prior to my landing.

It was an honest mistake made by both parties and I made sure that I never made that mistake ever again. It was a good learning experience.
Samsonite, I was way off!

Maverick623

Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:09 am

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 9):
Remember the guys that overflew MSP by an hour last year? Yes, they are still flying.

You mean the incident in 2009? Not only did DL fire them, the FAA revoked their certificates.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

Rdh3e

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:06 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 17):
You mean the incident in 2009? Not only did DL fire them, the FAA revoked their certificates.

For 10 months. Then they were elibible to reapply. Given that they are probably not highly trained in another discipline that will let them make 100k, I'm guessing they reapplied and are probably at a regional somewhere. I couldn't find it in a quick google search.

Also, great job picking one thing out of my post  Yeah sure I guess you really didn't get the point.

[Edited 2012-08-09 07:07:40]

xjet

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:22 pm

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 17):

On the face of it these events appear to be differently. In the NW overflight, the pilot's were found to be distracted and negligent in their duties. That isn't the same as making an honest mistake.

Cubsrule

Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Quoting xjet (Reply 12):
That is the standard at almost every major airline in the world these days. Aviation used to be an industry where if you screwed up you were either dead or fired. Well, now you are either dead or smarter. We take people that make large and errors and re-train and re-train to find the path to the error and remedy it. Arguably, the pilot less likely to land at the wrong airport, is the one who has done it. The pilot who has inadvertently entered a thunderstorm is less likely to make that mistake again, etc etc.

I understand what you are saying. As an enthusiast and a frequent passenger, I'm not sure it's completely satisfactory. It works for things like landing at the wrong airport, which as many have pointed out is not, in most cases, dangerous but rather is more of an inconvenience (but see the OH crash in LEX). I'm not sure that it works for mistakes or poor choices that lead to loss of the airplane (9L/BUF or 9E/JEF or 3C/IRK or OW/SJU or AA/JFK).
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

v1valarob

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Quoting jc2354 (Reply 14):

In my years of doing the redneck triangle (IAD-MGW-CKB-IAD) that route was often packed full, especially when WVU is in session.

We would often have to leave passengers behind in MGW due to the short runway.

xjet

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:51 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 21):

I certainly understand your point. Those are the most extreme examples of accidents in aircraft. And those accidents have led to the culture that we have today. In training we look at bad decisions made throughout the history of aviation. No loss of life is worth it, but the mistakes of the past have led us to become increasingly safer. I remember in new hire class studying the UA DC-8 crash in PDX to learn about a bad example of crew resource management. Then studying the Sioux City crash to see the opposite. New York air for deicing, the UA flight into terrain on arrival into Dulles for situational awareness.

My only point is that we take this extremely unfortunate examples and learn lessons. We make policy changes. The FAA enacts rules. In lexington the runways no longer intersect and my company added runway verification as one of the last items on our takeoff checklist.

I feel that I am losing my thesis. But basically I'm just trying to convey that we don't punish error in some situations, but choose to learn from them. If negligence is at play, then by all means take the pilots out of the cockpit.

I certainly respect your opinion and recognize that maybe the public feels like the airline is handling business if it rolls the bus over the pilots, but as an industry with a mature safety culture, it isn't always the best idea.

[Edited 2012-08-09 08:52:24]

Cubsrule

Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:04 pm

Quoting xjet (Reply 23):
But basically I'm just trying to convey that we don't punish error in some situations, but choose to learn from them. If negligence is at play, then by all means take the pilots out of the cockpit.

I agree with that. The trouble is that sometimes it's not easy to draw the line. To tweak an actual accident a little bit, what if the OH guys in LEX had tried to take off from a LONGER runway? One way to read that is "no harm no foul," but another way to read that is to look at what actually did happen in LEX and see how that easily could have been very bad.

We can probably make a similar argument about landing at the wrong airport. This incident - like many - is probably "no harm no foul," but the TPF/MCF incident a month ago or so could have ended much more messily.

futureualpilot

Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:17 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 24):

It is tough, but why does a line have to be drawn? There can't be a blanket solution for incidents like this or a line drawn because there are too many variables, each incident is too unique. If you want to play the "what if" game you could do that with all flights, everywhere and start violating pilots left and right. We will progress, learn and become safer if we choose to do so.
Life is better when you surf.

ATCtower

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:12 pm

I want to know why Clarksburg Approach didnt notice. If you can vector a plane for a particular runway, realizing they are lined up for the wrong airport should be rather noticable....

I cant find anything on their hours of operation, were they closed at the time? If so, definitely a big screw up on the pilots since it looks like both have pilot controlled lighting on completely different freqs.
By reading the above post you waive all rights to be offended. If you do not like what you read, forget it.

Cubsrule

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:19 pm

Quoting futureualpilot (Reply 24):
It is tough, but why does a line have to be drawn?

Line drawing might be the wrong term. What I'm driving at is whether we assess what the results of any particular foul-up were or what the results could have been.

xjet

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:34 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 26):

I think results matter... And most of all intention. However, my problem's origin is people accusing these pilots of being unprofessional or stupid because of this error. It is possible to make mistakes while being a professional.

You have not slandered the pilots, Cubsrule. My remarks were sparked by others and their reactions.

hiflyer

Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:56 pm

Gulfsteam=Silver Do they still make the copilots pay to fly under the new owners? Given the rapid inclusion of SAAB into their Beech fleet and now expansion into new areas and with their hanger now relocated to Gainesville appears to have been a lot of changes fairly quickly for the Flight Ops department to keep up with.

[Edited 2012-08-09 10:59:46]

robsaw

Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:23 pm

Quoting xjet (Reply 12):
Quoting futureualpilot (Reply 16):

Do you not believe in a safety culture that prefers learning from mistakes rather than punishing them?

I agree - A culture of complete intolerance of mistakes actually contributes to a higher rate of mistakes. Employees will avoid admission of ANY error in such a culture and fail to openly discuss and generate constructive criticism amongst fellow employees and supervisors. Such workplaces also tend to have higher stress levels and a lack of trust that also contributes to a greater rate of errors.

Sure, some discipline may be required and termination may be justified in cases of willful neglect, but a blanket termination policy can easily lead to a consequences exactly the opposite of these desired and assumed.

N766UA

Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:35 pm

Ex-Colgan pilot

Uh oh!!  
Quoting RDH3E (Reply 8):
Yes it is a new route for Silver.

Yes and no, Gulfstream/Silver have been flying to Clarksburg and Morgantown for quite a while from Cleveland. Presumably the crew has been there before, unless all their Saab crews are from down south?

That said, Gulfstream's website back in January had minimums as 250TT/0ME for hiring. I dunno if they ever hired anyone with that kind of time, but inexperience can certainly add to mistakes. I guess that's what you get when your airplane has hot pink engines.

kgaiflyer

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:03 pm

To this discussion, I'll add that I know a great spot for Bismark Burgers in Fairmont and a great rib joint in Clarksburg. Although two small towns, they both have their assets  

Rdh3e

Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:34 pm

Quoting N766UA (Reply 30):
Yes and no, Gulfstream/Silver have been flying to Clarksburg and Morgantown for quite a while from Cleveland. Presumably the crew has been there before, unless all their Saab crews are from down south?

Technically it's a new route even if they flew their from CLE. But I believe that previously all their Saab crews were based in FL.

jtamu97

Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:27 pm

I am sure most pilots, myself included, have at one time in their flying career (including the early years) have either aimed for the wrong airport or wrong runway. The difference between most of us and the rest is most of us recognize the mistake and make the appropriate corrections and admit our error if need be. The rest land without recognizing the error.

[Edited 2012-08-09 13:29:26]
Propeller, we don't need no stinkin propeller

kcrwflyer

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:59 pm

Yes and no, Gulfstream/Silver have been flying to Clarksburg and Morgantown for quite a while from Cleveland.

Neither of those cities have had CLE or gulfstream service. They've had IAD for years.

N766UA

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:04 pm

Quoting Kcrwflyer (Reply 34):
Neither of those cities have had CLE or gulfstream service. They've had IAD for years.

Really? Did Regions Air go there at one point? I swear somebody flew there from CLE.

kgaiflyer

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:21 pm

Gulfstream/Silver have been flying to Clarksburg and Morgantown for quite a while from Cleveland.

Okay -- the last time I actually *flew* out of Morgantown was on a Piedmont Aviation NAMC YS-11. But the route was to CMH and not to CLE.

N766UA

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:41 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 36):
Okay -- the last time I actually *flew* out of Morgantown was on a Piedmont Aviation NAMC YS-11. But the route was to CMH and not to CLE.

Regions Air must be what I was thinking of, I just came across an article that said Morgantown, Clarksburg and Parkersburg were losing their CLE service… I guess I'm a few years behind.

Then again, who knows the difference between the 3 unless you live there?

Type-Rated

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:51 pm

The biggest problem I see with landing at the wrong airport is that the airport you are actually landing at doesn't know you are coming in. So a controller is giving you a clearance to land at your intended airport, but doesn't see you. The airport you are actually landing at doesn't see you. Could result in a possible midair.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

bjorn14

Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:11 am

I remember a few years back some CO pilots landed a jet at their intended airport but on the taxiway. They were retrained not fired.
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

Thomas_Jaeger

Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:24 am

Slightly off topic, but does anyone have a list of all Saab 340s now already in operation for Silver?
Swiss aviation news junkie living all over the place

RWA380

Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:46 am

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 18):

Also, great job picking one thing out of my post I guess you really didn't get the point.

That is the A.net way of proving you can be right about something by twisting intent or words, It's been done to us all. Below you will find a perfect example of just that.

Quoting xjet (Reply 22):
the UA DC-8 crash in PDX to learn about a bad example of crew resource management

You mean pay attention to the gas gauge.....

Quoting bjorn14 (Reply 39):
I remember a few years back some CO pilots landed a jet at their intended airport but on the taxiway. They were retrained not fired.

A much better way of dealing with a mistake, I bet their peers won't ever let them forget it though.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

Maverick623

Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:07 am

Quoting jtamu97 (Reply 33):
I am sure most pilots, myself included, have at one time in their flying career (including the early years) have either aimed for the wrong airport or wrong runway.

Once nearly lined up with LUF instead of GEU after a night cross country. The LUF light was flashing a single white instead of two whites on the airport beacon.

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 41):
That is the A.net way of proving you can be right about something by twisting intent or words

I was correcting inaccurate information. While they may be flying again, it's certainly not with DL. Chill.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

xjet

Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:01 am

Quoting RWA380 (Reply 41):
You mean pay attention to the gas gauge.....

No, actually I mean crew resource management. The 1st and 2nd officers were trying to alert the captain to the upcoming fuel issue, but the captain wasn't in the mood for his underlings to speak up. This crash is often credited with the end of the "captain is god" and "Captain's way or the highway" mentality.

So yes, it is about not running out of gas, but it is more about listening to your crew and working together instead of trying to single pilot diagnose a landing gear problem.

GolfBravoRomeo

Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:30 pm

Was the Clarksburg localizer in service?

miguel0881

Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:18 pm

I flew the Colgan route from IAD-CKB-IAD a couple of months ago. When departing CKB, we sat for probably 10 minutes or so with the door open. Finally it was determined that the ramp agent was waiting for the flight attendant to close the door, and the flight attendant was waiting for the ramp agent to close the door. That misunderstanding resolved, the door was closed, the pilots were informed and we took off. Never seen that before.

OB1504

Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:08 am

Quoting hiflyer (Reply 28):
Gulfsteam=Silver Do they still make the copilots pay to fly under the new owners?

No. That part of the company is gone, as is Thomas Cooper. He now sells the copilot seats on Sun Air flights, which use Piper Navajos.

That said, Gulfstream's website back in January had minimums as 250TT/0ME for hiring. I dunno if they ever hired anyone with that kind of time, but inexperience can certainly add to mistakes. I guess that's what you get when your airplane has hot pink engines.

According to Silver's website, the current hiring minimums are 1200TT/500ME.

spiritair97

Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:42 am

Quoting ATCtower (Reply 25):

Yes, I believe at that time at night, both airports were uncotrolled, which definitely aided in the situation..

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos