Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mayor

RE: Delta Trying To Buy AA?

Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:51 pm

Quoting flyby519 (Reply 49):
They could, but there would be difficulties finding good infrastructure like gates/terminal areas. Also every time DL tried to add MIA capacity AA moves onto the route with overcapacity and destroys the fares. DL buying the AA MIA hub would eliminate any real competition in the MIA airport, so that is were the value comes.

And it's probably cheaper in the long run to buy a ready made hub rather than trying to build it piecemeal.
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

peanuts

Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:57 pm

Quoting kl911 (Reply 47):
I dont get it.

Sure you will. Can you say: Brazil? And more specifically: Sao Paulo
It's controlled, meaning, DL can't just grow Brazil organically from MIA without shrinking Brazil frequencies elsewhere.

DL wants what AA has in MIA. There's no denying that.

[Edited 2012-08-13 11:59:15]

DeltaMD90

Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:23 am

I very highly doubt DL wants all of AA. Just look at how dysfunctional they are, DL is doing pretty well these days. Angry unions are they last thing DL needs. I'm sure DL is trying to push the bid price up but I think they are genuinely interested to see what they can get. DL would love MIA, DFW would be nice, getting some more NYC action would be nice as well (even if they couldn't secure all NYC assets due to competition laws,) LAX could finally make DL a bigger player in that area, and ORD is completely useless to them IMO.

So besides ORD, almost anything DL can somehow snatch up would be beneficial to them. Can't blame DL for trying, why wouldn't they, even if odds were as low as 5% or something?

questions

Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:35 am

Seems like there is a lot of posts about DL cherry picking assets in a AA/US merger, presumably to enhance DL route structure and assets and provide the "new AA" with a cash infusion.

What would a swap look like, a la the route/slot swap DL and US completed in LGA and DCA?

NYCAdvantage

Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:13 am

I just wonder if they have had secret negotiations between DL/AA and BA if we remember back a few months ago W.W.
Said that in case DL bought AA Delta would leave SkyTeam in Favor of OneWorld, maybe that is not working the way W.W. wanted, and that is why he now backs the US/AA merger.
Delta most likely wants the most obvious hubs that we have read and not the whole spice enchilada, meaning that if DL ever gets as unlikely as it sounds what they want OneWorld could be in trouble, Who knows if that is the reason QF is wondering with EK just in case the other shoe drops.

hereandthere41

Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:03 am

If AA ever got to the point where they had to jettison their crown jewels, i.e, MIA...don't think for a minute that DL would be the only one bidding for it. My hunch is that UA is watching closely to see how it plays out. DL won't get MIA without a fight. UA still needs better feed to LATAM from South Florida. IAH and EWR can't do it all. There were strong rumors that UA would be building up MCO this year. Nothing has happened as of yet. I believe they're waiting to see what happens with MIA before they commit to major growth at MCO. Just my opinion.

bobnwa

Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:05 pm

Quoting hereandthere41 (Reply 55):
There were strong rumors that UA would be building up MCO this year. Nothing

How do you define a strong rumor from an ordinary rumor?

AAIL86

Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:51 pm

Quoting peanuts (Reply 51):
DL wants what AA has in MIA. There's no denying that.

(sarcasm on)

Canada probably wouldn't mind purchasing their mostly bankrupt, sometimes dysfunctional southern neighbor. Word on the street is that they only want the East Coast, Texas, and the Pacific Northwest.

(sarcasm off)

C'mon guys. History does teach us that anything is possible (see Hitler and Stalin doing business together for a while), but doesn't this idea really rank in the extremely speculative, very low probability column?
" Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness ... Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. ” - Mark Twain, 1869

flyby519

Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:32 pm

Quoting bobnwa (Reply 56):
How do you define a strong rumor from an ordinary rumor?

Depends on how many people laugh at it  

enilria

Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:39 pm

Quoting AAIL86 (Reply 57):
C'mon guys. History does teach us that anything is possible (see Hitler and Stalin doing business together for a while), but doesn't this idea really rank in the extremely speculative, very low probability column?

Well, we know that DL hired a strategic adviser for M&A related to the AMR Ch11, so this thread is not baseless. DL has definitely spent management time on this. Do I think it will happen? No, but maybe that's just hope. Until the DOT/DOJ grow some and start drawing a line in the national market share sand, we are going to keep merging down toward two airlines.

GSPSPOT

Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:33 pm

Quoting enilria (Reply 59):
Until the DOT/DOJ grow some and start drawing a line in the national market share sand, we are going to keep merging down toward two airlines.

Indeed. As a passenger it's frightening to see happening... "Ameriflot".
Great Lakes, great life.

HPRamper

Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:44 pm

We are nowhere close to Ameriflot nor will it ever happen. We still have what, 13 trunk airlines in the country plus regionals that can be booked separately in some cases. A heck of a lot more than what most other countries have.

[Edited 2012-08-14 09:44:57]

AADC10

Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:56 pm

I think DL mentioned that they would be interested in MIA and DFW but not AA as a whole. It is also widely believed that a purchase or merger would never be approved. The only way that DL could get MIA and DFW would be something similar to TW when AA purchased their assets as TW was about to liquidate. AA would not survive independently without those hubs, so I suspect that DL is circling for assets that may be cast off or forced divestiture in a merger.

ckfred

Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:18 pm

Quoting GSPSPOT (Reply 60):
Indeed. As a passenger it's frightening to see happening... "Ameriflot".

I remember some time ago on CNBC, someone was complaining that the airline industry had low barriers to entry and high barriers to exit. So long as that trend continues, we were going to see people willing to spend money (or lenders willing to loan money) to start an airline that fills some kind of niche that is being overlooked.

By the same token, the U.S. Bankruptcy Code makes it easy for a bankrupt carrier to keep flying.

This was around the time that United kept getting extensions on the filing of its reorganization plans. Some airline analysts just wanted to see United liquidate, so that every other carrier could get some pricing power.

AAIL86

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:59 pm

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 62):
I think DL mentioned that they would be interested in MIA and DFW but not AA as a whole.

Like I said, Canada would prefer to purchase the east coast, texas, and the pacific northwest.....  
Quoting enilria (Reply 59):
Well, we know that DL hired a strategic adviser for M&A related to the AMR Ch11, so this thread is not baseless

Yes - I know. Delta did indeed issue that press release. I wasn't being critical of the thread - it was more of a gentle attempt at sarcasm  
" Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness ... Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. ” - Mark Twain, 1869

GSPSPOT

Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:29 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 61):
A heck of a lot more than what most other countries have.

...But nothing near what many of us over-40 year olds remember fondly! The future.... YECH!
Great Lakes, great life.

BDL757

Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:55 am

Is Delta Grounding Comair to take off with American Airlines?

Another "interesting" article about a DL/AA combo. It's funny how they take Delta shutting down Comair as a potential sign they are interested in something with American. I had never thought of that...kinda makes me chuckle.

mayor

Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:16 am

Quoting BDL757 (Reply 66):
Is Delta Grounding Comair to take off with American Airlines?

Another "interesting" article about a DL/AA combo. It's funny how they take Delta shutting down Comair as a potential sign they are interested in something with American. I had never thought of that...kinda makes me chuckle.

Especially since DL has been trying to sell Comair for HOW many years, now?
"A committee is a group of the unprepared, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary"----Fred Allen

BDL757

Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:47 am

Quoting mayor (Reply 67):
Especially since DL has been trying to sell Comair for HOW many years, now?

Exactly!! It must have been a slow news day or something; I have to admit that it is quite creative. The aggressive pay down of debt plus the pretty much unheard of early/quick contract with the pilots makes me think DL is up to something but I'm not sure what at this point.

EricR

Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:43 pm

Quoting BDL757 (Reply 66):

In typical media fashion, they take two separate actions (AA in BK and DL selling Comair) and try to link them to create a sensationalized story with the objective of increasing ratings. The Sun is setting....uh oh that must mean the world is ending....let's write a story about that.

jfk777

Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:49 pm

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 62):
I think DL mentioned that they would be interested in MIA and DFW but not AA as a whole. It is also widely believed that a purchase or merger would never be approved. The only way that DL could get MIA and DFW would be something similar to TW when AA purchased their assets as TW was about to liquidate. AA would not survive independently without those hubs, so I suspect that DL is circling for assets that may be cast off or forced divestiture in a merger.

AA also has about 17 LHR slots which could be worth a billion dollars.

macsog6

Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:03 pm

I strongly suspect that DL's interest in AA is based upon escalating the price that would be paid by any potential purchaser. The higher the capital structure is, the more money will have to go to debt service and the less profitable the competitor will be as they will have less money to invest.

DL is not dumb and yes, they are looking at purchasing AA; but the chances of getting regulatory approval are quite slim; but the chance of making the competition weaker is quite real and a legitimate business purpose.

Thus, I suspect we will see DL sniffing about the edges and even making an offer - but it will solely designed to drive the price up.
Sixty Plus Years of Flying! "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Saint Ex

mayor

Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:49 pm

Quoting macsog6 (Reply 71):
I strongly suspect that DL's interest in AA is based upon escalating the price that would be paid by any potential purchaser. The higher the capital structure is, the more money will have to go to debt service and the less profitable the competitor will be as they will have less money to invest.

DL is not dumb and yes, they are looking at purchasing AA; but the chances of getting regulatory approval are quite slim; but the chance of making the competition weaker is quite real and a legitimate business purpose.

Thus, I suspect we will see DL sniffing about the edges and even making an offer - but it will solely designed to drive the price up.

As I mentioned earlier, this was done to DL by Carl Icahn of TWA and Bob Crandall of AA during the bidding for PA's assets in the early 90s.

klkla

Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Quoting macsog6 (Reply 71):

That is the most likely scenario IMO.

But, another option is that DL uses it's strong balance sheet and cah position to make an offer for the entire company that beats US' offer knowing that in order for the merger to be approved they would have to divest some assets and then they would get to keep what they really want (MIA operations and maybe JFK terminal, LHR slots, some 737/777's, e.t.c...).

questions

Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:31 pm

Quoting klkla (Reply 73):

But, another option is that DL uses it's strong balance sheet and cah position to make an offer for the entire company that beats US' offer knowing that in order for the merger to be approved they would have to divest some assets and then they would get to keep what they really want (MIA operations and maybe JFK terminal, LHR slots, some 737/777's, e.t.c...).

Or...
We know what DL wants from AA (e.g., MIA, DFW, JFK facilities) would make an AA-US merger less attractive. However, could an AA-US merger need the cash that could be raised from divesting some part of AA to offset the potential debt? If so, what might that scenario look like, i.e., without diluting the potential value of an AA-US merger?

jfk777

Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:02 pm

Delta wants Miami then DFW hub and 777 perhaps some LHR slots and routes. Delta has never flown LAX to LHR.

HPRamper

Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:06 pm

Quoting questions (Reply 74):
We know what DL wants from AA (e.g., MIA, DFW, JFK facilities) would make an AA-US merger less attractive. However, could an AA-US merger need the cash that could be raised from divesting some part of AA to offset the potential debt? If so, what might that scenario look like, i.e., without diluting the potential value of an AA-US merger?

Anything that is easily divestible would dilute the value. Specifically, slots at LGA, JFK, DCA and LHR. Maybe they would choose to continue the US pattern of divesting at LGA - airlines would certainly be lined up with cash on hand if those slots were made available.

commavia

Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:24 pm

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 76):
Anything that is easily divestible would dilute the value. Specifically, slots at LGA, JFK, DCA and LHR. Maybe they would choose to continue the US pattern of divesting at LGA - airlines would certainly be lined up with cash on hand if those slots were made available.

Precisely. The things that Delta would obviously want are also, not coincidentally, the same things that AA - and Parker - want, because of course those are the things that are the most valuable to AA. Thus, the only plausible scenario under which those would end up with Delta would be if Delta so bought up the price as to overpay, or if AA liquidates and is broken up, and neither is at all likely.

greenwichsud

Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:35 pm

Quoting klkla (Reply 73):

I was also under the impression that, when an entity is bankrupt, a potential acquiring entity can generally access a level of proprietary information in the bankrupt entities books that would normally be considered collusive. Can any lawyers or other knowledgeable folks chime in?

avek00

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:00 pm

Quoting greenwichsud (Reply 78):
I was also under the impression that, when an entity is bankrupt, a potential acquiring entity can generally access a level of proprietary information in the bankrupt entities books that would normally be considered collusive. Can any lawyers or other knowledgeable folks chime in?

In general, a company is bankruptcy is forced to be much more "transparent" with respect to its finances and strategic plans than a company not in bankruptcy - at minimum, the creditors' committees and their lawyers get to access everything, meaning that corporate decisions that would ordinarily involve 20 people at the table outside of bankruptcy now involve 200 people during restructuring. And yes, any competent third party who expresses a significant interest in a transaction with a bankrupt company can usually get some access to the bankrupt company's books.
Live life to the fullest.

greenwichsud

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:44 pm

Quoting avek00 (Reply 79):
And yes, any competent third party who expresses a significant interest in a transaction with a bankrupt company can usually get some access to the bankrupt company's books.

So, it's quite possible that DL has no real interest whatsoever and is simply being opportunistic - gaining detailed access to yields, revenue, business plans, etc. Escalating the price for an eventual merger partner is just icing on the cake. It will be that much harder for a merged entity to succeed while DL uses the "look into the books" to chase the same opportunities organically.

FWAERJ

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:56 pm

Quoting jfk777 (Reply 75):
Delta has never flown LAX to LHR.

AF did fly LAX-LHR for a while, which was codeshared with DL. It didn't last.
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

tommy767

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:31 pm

If AA was ever up for an auction, I'd forsee it to go this way:

UA/DL split MIA
US gets ORD
DL/US/NK split DFW
UA/DL ramp up LAX ops
JFK T-8 becomes another international terminal

But of course there is only a .05% chance of this ever happening.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos