Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

G500
Topic Author

Why Did Aeromexico Drop Its' Chrome Livery?

Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:00 pm

Is that georgeus livery gone for good?? chances of them getting any new airplanes in the chrome livery? (maybe 787s)

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Jet City Aviation Photography

EK413

Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:03 pm

They ordered the B787 and can't apply the chrome color scheme....

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

G500
Topic Author

Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:08 pm

Quoting EK413 (Reply 1):
They ordered the B787 and can't apply the chrome color scheme....

I'm aware about the aircraft order, but the 787 cannot wear a chrome livery?? I didn't know that one

still can't believe they droped the chrome for that boring white. who's idea was that?

BMI727

Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:31 pm

Quoting g500 (Reply 2):

I'm aware about the aircraft order, but the 787 cannot wear a chrome livery?? I didn't know that one

still can't believe they droped the chrome for that boring white. who's idea was that?

The chrome isn't chrome, it's polished aluminum. And the 787 cannot do that because where there is no aluminum, there can be no polished aluminum.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

PacNWjet

Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:10 am

Quoting BMI727 (Reply 3):
The chrome isn't chrome, it's polished aluminum. And the 787 cannot do that because where there is no aluminum, there can be no polished aluminum.

I have asked this question before but frankly don't remember the answer: What would be the drawback for airlines such as Aeromexico and American that have used or currently use a polished aluminum livery substituting the polished aluminum with the type of paint Aeroflot uses which simulates polished aluminum when they adopt composite frame aircraft such as the 787?:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jorge Vicente - Spotters Barcelona - El Prat

Or is this a stupid question? (at which point I will cease and desist from asking it).

EddieDude

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:24 am

I really, really hope that AM will introduce a new livery soon. I think the arrival of the first 788s in 2013 affords AM the opportunity to roll out a brand new livery that is attractive and modern, and that would set AM apart from its competitors. Whether they will do it, I don't know. The current livery is not hideous, but compared to the polished aluminum finish, it is very, very bland.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

N766UA

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:26 am

Quoting g500 (Reply 2):

The 787 isn't a metal airplane, so you can't very well polish it.

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 4):
I have asked this question before but frankly don't remember the answer: What would be the drawback for airlines such as Aeromexico and American that have used or currently use a polished aluminum livery substituting the polished aluminum with the type of paint Aeroflot uses which simulates polished aluminum when they adopt composite frame aircraft such as the 787?:

Short answer is it looks like crap. Aeroflot has a relatively small fleet and so far they seem to be doing okay, but over time the paint fades or different shades are applied to replacement parts that are mis-matched and the airplane ends up looking patchy and awful. Think NWA's DC-9s.

[Edited 2012-08-26 20:28:17]

AR385

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:56 am

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 5):
I really, really hope that AM will introduce a new livery soon. I think the arrival of the first 788s in 2013 affords AM the opportunity to roll out a brand new livery that is attractive and modern, and that would set AM apart from its competitors.

Yes. I understand the issue with the 787s, but frankly, the current livery with the swooooshing red looks like s..t

Quoting N766UA (Reply 6):
Short answer is it looks like crap.

Agreed.

mabadia71

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:10 am

It is possible to have something like chrome metal in composite airframes, remember the American Airlines A300
mabadia71

LimaFoxTango

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:17 am

Quoting mabadia71 (Reply 8):
It is possible to have something like chrome metal in composite airframes, remember the American Airlines A300

Was it chrome anything or just simply grey paint?

View Large View Medium

Photo © Carlos Aleman - SJU Aviation Photography

You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

BMI727

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:19 am

Quoting LimaFoxTango (Reply 9):

They were originally painted and then stripped and polished.
Why do Aerospace Engineering students have to turn things in on time?

LTC8K6

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:55 am

http://www.akzonobel.com/system/imag...llpaper_8_1280x1024_tcm9-61071.jpg

Super shiny chrome paint on carbon fiber...it is also an ultra light weight coating.

It might not be suitable for an airliner, though.

totesen

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:56 am

Quoting g500 (Reply 2):

Actually it was Boeing´s idae, because of the 787, AeroMexico wanted a rebranding and they did a miserable one. it seems that not only their livery was great and got awfull but also their service did   anyway they are making a lot of investments, all of their nex 737MAX and 787 will have AVOD nose to tail. Back to the point... It really sucks that the chrome livery is gone. even i love how the new one looks in the Embraer 190´s with the BIG connect titles.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/totesen

totesen

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:02 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 7):
Yes. I understand the issue with the 787s, but frankly, the current livery with the swooooshing red looks like s..t

Haha couldnt agree more, it does look like S%%t. they have improved their corporate image though, we are looking at a lot more blue now. there was a time when the new livery was introduced, where they did an awfull planing on branding, and you could only see the Aeromexico Connect brand, since they only placed the AeroMexico Connect logo. what where they thinking they are not Aeromexico and connect, it is AeroMexico. the good fix is they fixed that.

I originaly hated the new AMX livery, but ive kinda grown to like it on the 738 and the Embraer´s. it looks like an abomination on the 73NG and the 777. but on the other planes it kinda looks ok. actually on the 738 looks really nice, and even nicer on the 737MAX Renders: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHcXiaSCysE

[Edited 2012-08-26 23:02:58]
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/totesen

Clydenairways

Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:17 am

Quoting mabadia71 (Reply 8):

The A300 is not a composite airframe.

aloges

Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:59 am

Quoting N766UA (Reply 6):
Short answer is it looks like crap. Aeroflot has a relatively small fleet and so far they seem to be doing okay, but over time the paint fades or different shades are applied to replacement parts that are mis-matched and the airplane ends up looking patchy and awful. Think NWA's DC-9s.

Ummm... point taken:

View Large View Medium

Photo © John E. Jauchler - New England Airports

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

G500
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:28 am

Quoting totesen (Reply 12):
Actually it was Boeing´s idae, because of the 787, AeroMexico wanted a rebranding and they did a miserable one

So Boeing came up with that white livery? inetersting

Quoting AR385 (Reply 7):

I respectfully diagree with you. To me the silver is beautifull

View Large View Medium

Photo © Royal S King

the white is adequate at best

View Large View Medium

Photo © Royal S King

baldwin471

Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:52 am

You must be joking! The chrome is a horrible livery. Looks tacky. The white with red stripe looks far more elegant.

ghifty

Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:23 am

Quoting baldwin471 (Reply 17):

You must be joking! The chrome is a horrible livery. Looks tacky. The white with red stripe looks far more elegant.

I think if AM simply changed the polished aluminum to white they would have had a winner..

The current one just looks.. blah. Too playful, but boring at the same time.

Actually it was Boeing´s idae, because of the 787, AeroMexico wanted a rebranding and they did a miserable one.

Are you saying Boeing designed the new livery, or that Boeing merely suggested that AeroMexico should re-brand? I didn't know Boeing did in-house branding work.
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

Comments made here reflect only my personal opinions.

ogshelly

Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:11 pm

Aeromexico has changed its livery as we change socks, so it doesn't surprise me its dropping of the clean metal livery. If the new composite material of which the 787 consists of, I'd say it would be nice to see it, but it's going to take a little while before it is 100% reliable so Aeromexico or any other airliner cannfly with the composite naked. Good day everyone

gdg9

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:21 pm

Quoting ogshelly (Reply 19):
Aeromexico has changed its livery as we change socks

Delta may still have the record though!
@dfwtower

PRAirbus

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:58 pm

The chrome livery was AM's most attractive by far!!!   Too bad they now have a generic one!  

N766UA

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:07 pm

Quoting aloges (Reply 15):
Ummm... point taken:

Haha yep, exactly. There are so many shades of grey on that -9 it could be an erotic novel. Don't get me wrong, I do like the silver paint, but it goes so disastrously wrong so fast that it doesn't seem worth it.

B6JFKH81

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:06 pm

In the beginning it was grey paint from nose-to-tail:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Schaefer

...then later on they were able to go with the polished aluminum.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

spiritair97

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:16 pm

Quoting N766UA (Reply 22):

HAHA! JUST MADE MY DAY!

In short, I LOOOOVE the chrome livery, but I also love the new one. It has a understated elegance to it, much like US Airways' colorscheme. I would have done without the red-swoosh, but maybe a red or blue cheatline or something like that.

AR385

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:00 pm

Quoting g500 (Reply 16):
I respectfully diagree with you. To me the silver is beautifull

You need to re-read my posts.

ebj1248650

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:00 pm

Quoting g500 (Reply 2):

I don't know that you'd want to paint a chrome finish on a carbon composite airplane. Even if it was possible and could be made to last, I'm pretty sure the cost would be prohibitive.
Dare to dream; dream big!

Viscount724

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:42 pm

Quoting B6JFKH81 (Reply 23):

In the beginning it was grey paint from nose-to-tail:

...then later on they were able to go with the polished aluminum.

Didn't they have to wait for the Airbus warranty to expire before they removed the paint? I've forgotten the history but it was my understanding that the paint on all Airbus aircraft is an important part of the anti-corrosion treatment, which is why (unless I'm overlooking something) there have never been any bare metal Airbus fuselages other than the AA A300-600s.

EddieDude

RE: Why Did Aeromexico Drop Its' Chrome Livery?

Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:48 pm

also their service did

That is true. Meal-wise, AM is not what it used to be. The catering ex-JFK is really terrible for lunch or dinner (brekkie is just average). I was outraged that there was no offering whatsoever for the red-eye in business class when I took that flight in December. In terms of knowledge about the AM/DL alliance upgrade privileges, AM is also dismal. Only few employees know what it's going on with that. Phone reservations are also hit or miss. Luckily, there is a tiny light shining... I recently got very good service and better than expected catering in Y on a MEX-JFK flight. Hope AM will continue to improve things.

all of their nex 737MAX and 787 will have AVOD nose to tail.

Actually, will soon start receiving a few non-MAX 738s with AVOD in both clases (and the Boeing Sky interior). I doubt the current 73Ws and 738s will be retrofitted though. Oh, and the due date for the 788s is approaching fast!

Quoting baldwin471 (Reply 17):

To each their own I suppose.

Quoting ghifty (Reply 18):
I think if AM simply changed the polished aluminum to white they would have had a winner..

To white or to silver metallic.

Are you saying Boeing designed the new livery, or that Boeing merely suggested that AeroMexico should re-brand?

I remember I read something that AM asked Boeing to come up with a new livery instead of retaining an agency or design firm, but don't quote me on this.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

B6JFKH81

Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:05 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 27):
Didn't they have to wait for the Airbus warranty to expire before they removed the paint?

I would have to dig through some of the old threads, but I believe that was how the story went if my memory serves me correctly.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

G500
Topic Author

Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:02 pm

The current one just looks.. blah. Too playful, but boring at the same time.

agree

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 28):
To white or to silver metallic.

Maybe he means this one (which i actually like)

View Large View Medium

Photo © Diego Armando Sánchez

spiritair97

Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:42 am

Quoting g500 (Reply 30):
Maybe he means this one (which i actually like)

View Large View Medium

I like that, too.

I know that a million and one people are going to say I'm crazy, but I think one of the best combinations for a good livery is white with billboard lettering. Not on all, but on some the liveries that everybody thinks are great just look outdated and the smallest of changes can make all the difference. For instance, the Finnair rebranding was absolutely perfect. I love the new colorscheme. More modern and sleek, while others hate it. The AM rebranding wasn't the best, but it wasn't the worst. The chrome was starting to look a bit outdated, as is AA's. The only aircraft that it actually looks good on is the 737-700.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos