floridaflyboy

RE: The Delta Mainline Saga Continues..

Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:28 pm

Quoting burnsie28 (Reply 40):
Have either of you flown into ATL since Concourse F opened now doubling the size of available customs?

Yep, 2 weeks ago. It was arguably less pleasant than clearing in E before. There are lots of unpleasant airports to clear in (and lots of pleasant ones, MEM, CLT and DTW come to mind), but I have still found ATL to be the worst.

Quoting BigSaabowski (Reply 41):
but I would guess 30-60 minutes for U.S. citizens

Spot on. It took me 60 minutes to clear and I was at the front of the plane. The people behind me were in even worse shape.
Good goes around!

HVNandrew

Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:21 pm

Quoting Captainstefan (Reply 42):

This is one of DL's big hub-and-spoke points of emphasis. The last (or close to it) flight out of the day from ATL to airport XYZ is usually one of the bigger ones, or on routes like these, it's the mainline. That way they can accommodate many more passengers who connect through Atlanta on their way to XYZ. This also works for the inbound leg the next morning (usually the first flight out) - DL wants to make the most connections available to the passengers so a large amount of seats is scheduled to arrive early enough for passengers to catch said connecting flights. Consider that about 80-90% of traffic through Atlanta is connecting.

Frequently I notice that at stations where DL has many daily flights to ATL (8+), DL will run a very early flight out on regional metal (6 am), and then have the mainline plane run the second morning flight (around 7:15). Coming back at night, the CRJ is the last flight in from ATL, while the mainline place is the second-to-last flight in. Some of these stations get a second mainline frequency with a turn from ATL for the evening rush.

DTWPurserBoy

Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:35 pm

Quoting Kcrwflyer (Reply 39):
Delta isnt going to lower fares just to fly a bigger plane there.

Perhaps I should clarify myself. My point was that Air Tran carried a lot of people out of PHF, particuarly northbound. BOS was a very popular destination. If half a million people have simply stopped flying there is potential for an increased market share and DL could set the fares however they wanted. It's all about giving the community options. Feeding the hubs at JFK ,LGA and DTW would be logical. Frontier is doing a great job to DEN with ongoing connections--very popular with the community.

People does not seem to be going anywhere fast. Nothing said of them lately in the local papers and the website shows no open positions. I wonder if they are having trouble raising capital.

For those of us that live on the peninsula most would prefer the drive to RIC rather than ORF. The tunnels under the James River can turn into a nightmare in seconds and while I-64 is not great at least it runs smoothly unless there is an accident. Especially on weekends traffic through the tunnels is bad with all the road traffic heading to Virginia Beach and the Outter Banks.

PHF has a lot going for it--easy access of I-64, a very nice terminal and parking is not at extortionary rates. Sometimes it gets a little interesting when Air Force One does their "touch and go's" but it's always awesome to watch.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

FlyASAGuy2005
Topic Author

Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:31 pm

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 36):
Because you'd obviously appreciate a much higher chance of a middle seat?
Quoting usdcaguy (Reply 45):
For all the talk of "gutting the CR2s", I heard that DL still plans to keep about half of them.

If they exercise the "maxed out" current plan of adding 70 more 70-76 seaters then yes, the 50 seater fleet will drop to 125 or less (can't be any more than 125). That's a HUGE decrease from where it stands today. To put things into perspective, Pinnacle alone has 120 CR2s...
What gets measured gets done.

freakyrat

Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:11 pm

Delta occasionally operates mainline jets on the SBN-DTW runs on the day after Notre Dame Home Football Games. in the past these have usually been on DC9-40 and DC9-50 series aircraft. On Sept 23rd Delta is operating Flight 1594 using an MD88.

tooluther

Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:24 am

ROA Facebook page has a few (not great) pics of the 319 at the gate this morning for the first ever mainline DL flight to ATL :

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...6375223.896068.317553150222&type=1

clemsonaj

Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:14 pm

DL seems to be upgauging several other stations for fall as well. When I was searching some fares last night out of GSP I noticed they are running a mix of 73W, 738, 319, M88, M90, D95, through the airport with up to four daily mainline flights (may be more I didn't find). This is a substantial increase from the occasional one mainline flight just a year or so ago. Definitely not complaining!

This begs the question, (asked above and I didn't find an answer), where are they finding the planes for these flights? Increased utilization? Drawdown in other areas?

All in all this seems like good marketing for DL in these markets. When WN entered GSP they were running commercials touting their large planes compared to the others in the market. Being able to avoid a cramped RJ and not drive hours to reach a bigger airport will definitely be a draw for some folks.
AJ

catiii

Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:46 pm

Quoting burnsie28 (Reply 40):

Have either of you flown into ATL since Concourse F opened now doubling the size of available customs?

I have. The F concourse FIS is only for terminating pax at ATL. If you come into E and are routed to the FIS at F, the walk can be up to a quarter of a mile. The waits aren't as bad, but the issue still remains at E with connecting traffic.

Quoting DTWPurserBoy (Reply 52):
If half a million people have simply stopped flying there is potential for an increased market share and DL could set the fares however they wanted.

Right, and since they're in the money-making business you think they're going to lower fares in a captured and non-competitive market?

TrijetsRMissed

Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:53 am

Quoting clemsonaj (Reply 56):
where are they finding the planes for these flights? Increased utilization? Drawdown in other areas?

The MD-90 deliveries from the past couple years have been replacing the DC-9's capacity. But as the DC-9 was given a reprieve, more MD-90s continued to enter service. Thus, by design, DL has more mainline fleet now than they had originally planned for one year ago, (prior to the reprieve).

This is one factor. The widgets can chime internal shuffling.
There's nothing quite like a trijet.

Buddys747

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:20 pm

DL mainline just ended here in Harrisburg to Atlanta this past Wednesday for the summer season. Much to my surprise, DL continued summer mainline service despite FL no longer flying the route ( FL flew it in 2009 and 2010 for the summer) It was an MD88 everyday except Tuesdays, they flew A319. It was a RON flight. It was nice to have now it's back to a CRJ. Come on DL, at least make it something a little better! I would think with US and UA having Mainline in the morning to there respective hubs, DL would do the same. I know, not every city is entitled to mainline service.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:37 pm

These RONs - first flight out in

Quoting clemsonaj (Reply 56):
This begs the question, (asked above and I didn't find an answer), where are they finding the planes for these flights? Increased utilization? Drawdown in other areas?

A few reasons:

1. Rebalancing the post-merger network and fleet
- ATL has seen a significant increase in mainline flying and a reduction in RJ flying post-merger. Some of the aircraft came out of places like MEM, CVG, and DTW

2. Increased utilization of existing fleet
- DL is getting more flying time out of existing aircraft by changing how they schedule aircraft

3. Remaining DC-9s kept until 2013 as the 717s start to arrive
- DL was originally going to get rid of the remaining DC-9-50s in 2012, and has now pushed that out until late 2013 if not early 2014.

freakyrat

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:12 pm

Delta is already starting to get rid of the DC9's for the mainline flying SBN-DTW-SBN on Notre Dame Football weekends instead they are using MD-88 and CRJ-900 aircraft for the flights.

freakyrat

Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:17 pm

Good News: Delta is adding mainline SBN-ATL in October on DC9-50 aircraft the Sunday after the Notre Dame-Stanford game and the Brigham Young game. This is a first for Delta.

milesrich

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:10 am

Quoting metjetCEO (Reply 43):
Im not sure I have ever seen a BAE146 in DL colors. The closest I have ever seen are the 328s from ACA.

ASA flew them in Delta Connection livery that was similar to the Widget scheme with the cheat lines that was used in some form or another from 1962 until 2001 with the retirement of the L-1011's. (Yes, I know there were some other aircraft that had not yet been painted in the wavy gravy at that time.

http://images3.jetphotos.net/img/1/6/2/5/41993_1078627526.jpg

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...RYdPwOfrV5R6ZW4vz6zB_ltDhMN46UlPaU

I know they replaced mainline service on the ATL-CHA route. I don't remember how long they were around.

[Edited 2012-09-20 23:16:06]

DTWPurserBoy

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:26 pm

Quoting TrijetsRMissed (Reply 58):
This is one factor. The widgets can chime internal shuffling.

This is entirely correct. DL loves the flexibility of changing gauge of equipment on a dime depending on bookings.
Qualified on Concorde/B707/B720/B727/B737/B747/B757/B767/B777/DC-8/DC-9/DC-10/A319/A320/A330/MD-88-90

yyz717

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:18 pm

YYZ just regained mainline service a few-year gap. 2 of the 6x daily CR9 YYZ-ATL were upgraded after labour day to M88.

It appears one of the M88 dailies will revert to CR9 in Oct, and the other M88 will downgrade to A319 eqt. Nice to see DL mainline back in YYZ. Would be nicer to see the D95 in YYZ......

Quoting PSU.DTW.SCE (Reply 60):
3. Remaining DC-9s kept until 2013 as the 717s start to arrive
- DL was originally going to get rid of the remaining DC-9-50s in 2012, and has now pushed that out until late 2013 if not early 2014.

aerotransport.org is now reporting initial 717 deliveries to DL in 2014.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos