spiritair97
Topic Author

WN CHS-Florida?

Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:20 am

I have been wondering since the announcment of B6's entrance into the CHS market, if it would be possible for WN to expand into Florida from Charleston. It seems very possible as there is virtually no competition to Florida from CHS, except American Eagle's daily E-145 to MIA. Plus, if NK is able to support 9x weekly a320s to FLL on what is mostly O&D, I think Florida would be a no-brainer for WN.

I know that people are going to say gate space is an issue, but WN has 8 daily flights currently out of B5. (3x BWI, 2x MDW, 1x each HOU and BNA) Knowing WN's quick turnarounds, they could proably fix one or two more flights into that gate each day. If not, B5 is conveniently located right next to a hardstand, with WN equipment (including airstairs) buzzing around all the time. This could be one option. Another is gate B4. It is only used by American Eagle for 2-3 flights a day, all of which turn in under an hour (all E-145s). This gate is not owned by American Eagle, so Wzn could use it if necessary and if it got approval from the airport.

As for service, I could definitely see a daily nonstop to FLL and/or MCO.

Any thoughts?

jetmatt777

RE: WN CHS-Florida?

Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:37 am

Anything is possible I guess.

But it seems WN's focus as of lately has been MDW and DEN. We haven't really seen a lot of Florida expansion in a while.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

brooklynchris13

Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:17 am

Honestly, I would think B6 would be a far more likely flyer on CHS to Florida, sometime after they start their initial service. After all, routing JFK-CHS-MCO or BOS-CHS-FLL would seem to be a pretty decent utilization of an aircraft. Further, FLL, MCO and TPA or even possibly SRQ would all be good for CHS and these match places B6 serves with an eye on growing, at least slowly. I agree with the idea that Southwest is focused more on the airtran integration at this point. Another reason why B6 is more likely (IMO) is their ability to use E190s on the route, not quite as high a bar as a 737 and perhaps a more likely to succeed starting point for CHS- Florida service.
"Be the change you want to see in the world" (mg)

LV

Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:56 am

How many people in CHS want to fly to MCO, FLL, TPA? I can't imagine there is that much O&D. One vacation/ snowbird haven to another.

clemsonaj

Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Quoting LV (Reply 3):
How many people in CHS want to fly to MCO, FLL, TPA? I can't imagine there is that much O&D. One vacation/ snowbird haven to another.

I think this might be the reason it wasn't started when WN entered the market, unlike GSP in the upstate. If there was enough O&D traffic I think you would have seen a flight by now. I think WN might try the market after the FL integration settles down, but they didn't see the business case when the station was opened and I doubt much has changed since.

spiritair97
Topic Author

Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:24 am

There may not be so much O&D traffic, but isn't much of WN's business connections? And no matter where you are, it always seems there are people who wanna go to Disneyworld. And I guarantee that WN could beat the prices DL wants to go to ATL.

Quoting brooklynchris13 (Reply 2):
Honestly, I would think B6 would be a far more likely flyer on CHS to Florida, sometime after they start their initial service. After all, routing JFK-CHS-MCO or BOS-CHS-FLL would seem to be a pretty decent utilization of an aircraft. Further, FLL, MCO and TPA or even possibly SRQ would all be good for CHS and these match places B6 serves with an eye on growing, at least slowly. I agree with the idea that Southwest is focused more on the airtran integration at this point. Another reason why B6 is more likely (IMO) is their ability to use E190s on the route, not quite as high a bar as a 737 and perhaps a more likely to succeed starting point for CHS- Florida service.

That is also a very good point. Maybe B6 could eventually have a similar setup to what they have at RIC?
By that, I mean one or two daily flights to MCO and/or FLL and a few to JFK and BOS? Given CHS doesn't have the D.C. traffic that RIC does, but it could still cater to the Disney and connecting traffic at MCO, and the Caribbean and other connections, as well as whatever O&D traffic at FLL.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos