Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JU068
Topic Author

LH Winter Downsizing

Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:06 pm

Good evening!

I am sorry if something like this was posted before, I did a search but nothing came up.

I was looking at some flights on Lufthansa.com and I was surprised to see that so many of their flights are being reduced or even cancelled this coming winter season.
So I did a small search online and I managed to find the following information:

Berlin Tegel – Bucharest Service increases from 4 weekly to 6 weekly
Berlin Tegel – Helsinki Service reduces from daily to 6 weekly
Berlin Tegel – Malaga Service maintained in Winter 2012/13, however it’ll operate 1 weekly instead of 2 (Previously planned to be summer-only flight)
Berlin Tegel – Moscow Vnukovo Service reduces from 12 to 6 weekly
Berlin Tegel – Valencia 2 weekly service maintained in Winter 2012/13 (Previously planned to be summer-only flight)
Berlin Tegel – Zagreb Service reduces from 4 to 3 weekly

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dusseldorf – Athens 4 weekly service cancelled in Winter season
Dusseldorf – Bilbao Weekdays service operated by Boeing 737-500 instead of CRJ900/Fokker 100
Dusseldorf – Geneva Service reduces from 4 to 3 daily
Dusseldorf – Katowice Service reduces from 6 to 5 weekly
Dusseldorf – Milan Malpensa Service reduces from 5 to 4 daily
Dusseldorf – Moscow Vnukovo Service reduces from 2 to 1 daily
Dusseldorf – Newcastle Service reduces from 12 to 6 weekly
Dusseldorf – Nice Service cancelled in Winter season

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frankfurt – Aberdeen 3 Daily flights operated by CRJ700, replace E190/195 in W11
Frankfurt – Amsterdam Service reduces from 7 to 6 daily
Frankfurt – Belgrade 2 Daily service operates with Embraer E190, replacing 737/CRJ700 in W11
Frankfurt – Bergen Service reduces from 3 to 2 daily
Frankfurt – Brussels Service reduces from 10 to 8 daily
Frankfurt – Bucharest Service reduces from 3 to 2 daily
Frankfurt – Copenhagen Service reduces from 5 to 4 daily
Frankfurt – Florence Service reduces from 6 to 5 daily
Frankfurt – Geneva Service reduces from 9 to 8 daily
Frankfurt – Graz Service maintains 4 daily. Operational aircraft is CRJ700/E190, compared to W11′s 737/CRJ700/E190
Frankfurt – Helsinki Service reduces from 4 to 3 daily
Frankfurt – Linz Service maintains 4 daily. Operational aircraft is CRJ700, compared to W11′s Boeing 737/E190
Frankfurt – Madrid Service reduces from 5 to 4 daily
Frankfurt – Milan Malpensa Service reduces from 5 to 4 daily
Frankfurt – Moscow Domodedovo Service reduces from 4 to 3 daily
Frankfurt – Nice Service reduces from 4 to 3 daily
Frankfurt – Palma Mallorca Service cancelled in Winter season
Frankfurt – Paris CDG Service reduces from 10 to 8 daily
Frankfurt – Porto Service reduces from 3 to 2 daily
Frankfurt – Poznan Service reduces from 1 daily to 6 weekly
Frankfurt – Rome Service reduces from 6 to 5 daily
Frankfurt – Sofia A319 operates 1 daily (W11 was 2 daily E190)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hamburg – Birmingham Service reduces from 12 to 6 weekly
Hamburg – Geneva Service reduces from 12 to 11 weekly
Hamburg – London Heathrow Service reduces from 21 to 19 weekly
Hamburg – Nice Service cancelled in Winter season
Hamburg – Oslo Service reduces from 17 to 12 weekly
Hamburg – Palma Mallorca Service cancelled in Winter season
Hamburg – Stockholm Service reduces from 19 to 16 weekly
Hamburg – Vienna Service reduces from 19 to 14 weekly

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Munich – Ancona Service reduces from 3 to 2 daily
Munich – Florence Service reduces from 4 to 3 daily
Munich – Paris CDG Service reduces from 8 to 7 daily
Munich – Pisa Service reduces from 2 to 1 daily
Munich – Rome Service reduces from 6 to 5 daily
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally I am in shock that they are downsizing this much. Can someone tell me what will happen with the planes which operated the now cancelled flights? Or are these the B737s that are being withdrawn and their flights are not replaced?

Thank you in advance.

All information can be found on www.lh.com

JU068

richardw

RE: LH Winter Downsizing

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:54 am

..........................compared to?

JU068
Topic Author

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:58 am

Quoting richardw (Reply 1):

Well compared to what they operated before. It seems like a lot of destinations have been reduced so I am just wondering what is happening with the extra capacity that is left unassigned.

yp6370

Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:29 am

Aren't there service reductions on many airlines during winter? So nothing special about it.

Concerning planes: It doesn't really matter for LH. They are all company owned. No leasing fees at all. So they can just park them if not needed or send them to heavy maintenance etc.

santos

Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:39 am

Quoting ju068 (Thread starter):
I am sorry if something like this was posted before, I did a search but nothing came up.

I was looking at some flights on Lufthansa.com and I was surprised to see that so many of their flights are being reduced or even cancelled this coming winter season.
So I did a small search online and I managed to find the following information:

Well, this update is exactly the same as another website online, so i'm not sure if you really did spend all of this time looking at routes.
No offense if you have, as the other website posted the same things about 4 days ago.

richardw

Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:00 pm

Compared to last winter or this summer?

JU068
Topic Author

Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:01 pm

Quoting yp6370 (Reply 3):
Aren't there service reductions on many airlines during winter? So nothing special about it.

Yes but this seemed like a lot of reduction that is why it surprised me.

Quoting santos (Reply 4):
No offense if you have, as the other website posted the same things about 4 days ago.

I actually did look at their flights because I am helping a friend with her thesis   And when I compared several routes in summer and winter I decided to google to see if someone did a report on it and someone did.

LJ

Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:38 am

LH never did it, and it's much in business markets like CPH, AMS, BRU and CDG.

W11

Joost

Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:20 pm

Quoting ju068 (Thread starter):
Can someone tell me what will happen with the planes which operated the now cancelled flights?

Typically, during winter downsizing:

- aircraft are simply used less frequent. So they might operate 5 legs during one day instead of 6. For maintenance purposes, keeping aircraft flying (just little less frequent), is often more cost-effective than parking them for a short period. - if possible, aircraft are scheduled for heavy (base) maintenance and modifications, so they spend time in the hangar
- when they are really not used, they might be leased out to other airlines. This is relatively uncommon, but for example HV does typically lease out a few frames during the winter season.

Concerning planes: It doesn't really matter for LH. They are all company owned. No leasing fees at all. So they can just park them if not needed or send them to heavy maintenance etc.

a) It doesn't really matters if air frames are leased or owned. If they are leased, you'll have to pay the terms anyhow, whether you use them or not. The only exception are the (very) short-term lease contracts or pay-per-hour lease contracts, but these aren't very common for current and desired air frames.

b) 'Owned' doesn't mean 'no monthly fees'. If an aircraft is bought using a loan or mortgage, the aircraft is formally owned by the airline, but might still require monthly deposit.

c) LH doesn't own all it's aircraft. Although at 83%, their fleet ownership ratio is relatively large, they still have 31 aircraft on finance lease and 86 on operating lease. (31 dec 2011). For the operating lease, these are among others 25x A319 and 11x 737. (source: http://reports.lufthansa.com/2011/ar...rch.php?q=fleet&pageID=15040&cat=b )

Quoting LJ (Reply 7):
LH never did it, and it's much in business markets like CPH, AMS, BRU and CDG.

Last year, LH has modified their complete short-haul fleet to the slimline seats, adding quite some capacity to the existing flights. Combined with the state of the economy, the reductions seem perfectly normal.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos