Semaex

RE: Lufthansa Plans To Start New Low Cost Airline

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:43 am

Quoting lhrnue (Reply 25):
Germanwings is the wrong name for an Europen LCC.

And Southwest is the wrong name for an all-US LCC ... ?  
Quoting jc2354 (Reply 37):
They have already tried this with Lufthansa Italia.

Lufthansa Italia wasn't an LCC at all. It was a company which had good service and closed the vacuum another legacy carrier had left in Milano. The reason LH IT was shut down was because it was interfering with the well-established service of EN, which is also a wholly owned LH subsidiary.
// You know you're an aviation enthusiast if you look at your neighbour's cars and think about fleet commonality.

aeroflop

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:14 am

Great! Another thing that the world does not need..... another low cost carrier. Where the only low cost thing is the crew.

DALCE

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:32 am

Although I have doubts that LH will succeed, I believe we should look at a more long term strategy. LH surely recognizes the threats of Norwegian, Easyjet ( bigger airports ) and to a lesser extend Ryanair and Wizzair ( smaller airports ) and eyes for a manner to compete with these airlines to make sure they have to fight for their earns. If they start a LCC with a decent network and servicelevel they can eat parts of the pie currently eaten by the LCC's and making sure the money goes back into LH's pocket. I could see them taking up the fight directly with route pairs similar to the competitions just to make their live harder. In the end the strongest will win, and IF they do it right LH will be the winner and perhaps some of the LCC's will even be terminated, albeit the smaller ones going down first then.

Just my $ 0.02 to the matter
flown: F50,F70,CR1,CR2,CR9,CS3,E75,E90,143,AR8,AR1,733,735,736,73G,738,
753,763,744,77W,788,319,320,321,333,AB6.

skipness1E

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:39 am

Let's have short memories and call it Lufthansa Express!

PanHAM

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:43 am

Are the LCCs really the target?

Take STR-LHR, or HAM-LHR, for LH that is spoke to star hub, in other words not really something which is a primary focus. LH wants to feed their hubs and not other carriers. there are other routes from focus cities which are spoke to spoke and thenm take BER, where LH opnes a basket of new spoke to spoke routes to develop the market-.

Some of these routes are, for carriers like BA and AF/KL hub to spoke feeder routes. Now, a carrier can give up the tertiary marlkets, like BA did, or have some fresh isdeas to stay and even grow.

That seems to be the goal. It won'tr be an LCC, it will be a business unit with lower costs.

Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

GT4EZY

Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:57 pm

Quoting aeroflop (Reply 51):
Great! Another thing that the world does not need..... another low cost carrier. Where the only low cost thing is the crew.

I speak from a cabin crew perspective here now. For a new recruit starting out at a UK airline tomorrow, the best paid carrier these days is Easyjet. Junior ranking crew take home between £23K-£24K (30,000 Euro) a year actually flying 10-12 days each month. Crew at the continental bases earn more than that. So whilst overall labour costs can be reduced, it doesn't always mean low pay.
Proud to fly from Manchester!

DeltaMD90

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:48 pm

Quoting chootie (Reply 44):

Quoting DeltaMD90 (Reply 33):
But there is a flip side, people can now fly for cheap (not because they choose to be cheap, because they're poor)

....And have you taken notice to the rif-raf on board aircraft lately?????
And to top it off, they pay rock bottom--but EXPECT to have the same high quality product. LCC and quality seem to be the OXY-MORON of the times ----like I said, plain sad.....       

Oh well yeah if they're gonna whine about higher service then they should pay more. If I didn't have such a strong DL bias I'd be travelling on the cheapest fare I could get... I wouldn't care less if I was sitting on a rock as long as I got from A to B without the airline (not outside forces) sucking and causing delay. Maybe for slightly more I'd pay to not sit on a rock, but you'll never see me paying a $49 fare and complaining about small pitch/bad food/etc

PezySPU

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:57 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 17):
watching EU (and Asian) carriers make the same mistakes US carriers made 10-15 years ago.

10-15 years is an extremely long time, especially in this industry. And US market is different than European and Asian markets.

Quoting laolao (Reply 21):
Maybe we should collect a track record of legacies founding/running a LCC:

Sorry, but this is also too generalized. Some of these have been failures due to their respective reasons, not issues with the model. I would not draw conclusions so quickly.

And to be fair, since you mentioned four LCC subsidiaries that didn't work out, here are four that did: Vueling, Transavia, Mango, Nok Air. This just stands to illustrate that ventures of this kind can work. There is no need to point out that there are, truth to be told, more failures than success stories.

Also, I think you would agree that something was learnt from LCC failures, something that could make future ones successful.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 30):
Quoting Polot (Reply 29): Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 24): LH owns 49% of Eurowings.

Eurowings is now wholly owned by LH.

Then they should update their website. It

As sad as it is, an airline's own website is often a poor source for this type of info.  

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos