Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Someone83

RE: SAS Ends Bangkok - After 63-years

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:16 am

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 47):
SAS you pay for a premium airline but get LCC service, especially on short haul flights

That is quite debatable, the only difference between SAS and Lufthansa (as an example) on shorthaul is really the buy-on-board...and consider the amount of crap food I have got on Lufthansa recently, is much prefere SK's buy-on-board where i can choose what to order. So then it all comes down to free drinks or not....and that's is not really what diffrentiate LCC-service or not, in my oppinion.

nethkt

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:33 pm

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 47):
You get what you pay for with Ryanair and that was due to a last minute trip I had to make to Norway.

With SAS you pay for a premium airline but get LCC service, especially on short haul flights. That doesn't seem fair to me, especially if you are a code share customer from say Lufthansa or SIA.

I can tell you all my intra-Europe SAS flights are darn cheap. As cheap as low-cost carries' and I don't have to fly to smaller out-of-nowhere airports. And I can book just one-way!
Luckily I am a *A gold, so there are even lounges for me.
I don't get what I pay for, I've got a lot more than what I've paid for.....well, good for me!  
Let's just blame it on yields.

bjorn14

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:22 pm

Quoting Revelation (Reply 33):
since most of the times sex is a leisure activity.

Well not in BKK.   
"I want to know the voice of God the rest is just details" --A. Einstein

CPHFF

Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:48 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Thread starter):
you are restricted to just two alcoholic drinks and SAS are just a horrible airline.

You must have pissed the cabin crew off, I got 4 Bloody Marys (free) flying ATH-CPH last spring in Y ......

Quoting LAXintl (Thread starter):
SAS do block the middle seats in business class

Except for OSL-CPH 
If it weren't for UAW, Detroit would shine!

sweair

Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:37 pm

Why even drink alcohol in that dry climate in a cabin, at or below 10% humidity, it wont help the jet lag at all. Humans like between 40 and 60% best.

Someone83

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:59 am

Quoting CPHFF (Reply 53):
Except for OSL-CPH

SAS doesn't offer business class cabin intra-Scandinavia. Only Economy and Economy Extra.....and yes, I know you can buy "business class" tickets, but this has more to do with the rules regarding flexibility

And consider how full those flight are with poeple in Y+, there is no way possible to block of seats as they need the capacity

planewasted

Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:54 am

Closing BKK would be wise. SK can't compete on cost with the charter airlines and should focus on business destinations, like Shanghai.

Am I the only one who like SAS? I fly to China a lot and prefer them over Air China. Sure, you get unlimited beer and wine on Air China, disgusting Chinese brands that taste like ****, but NO liquor...
And I always get some extra for free if I ask nicely on SAS.
And when I have had the luck to fly business class on SAS I have been impressed. Sure, the hardware is not the best but the service is nice and personal. And I always arrive hungover because of all the nice drinks.  Smile
SAS new policy that you always get bonus 100% points when flying SAS metal, even on discount tickes, means I now get huge amount of points when flying SAS longhaul a lot. One trip is often enough for an upgrade to economy extra.

It also feels like they are improving the Europe service now. When I flew domestic in Denmark a few days ago there where free juice, coffee and other stuff at boarding, too short flight to serve anything.

And yeah, I love the MD-80. I always sit in the back and listen to the wonderful engine noise.  

[Edited 2012-09-22 02:56:45]

Superfly

Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:39 pm

Funny, I moved from San Francisco to Bangkok. I guess SAS doesn't like me.

Hard to imagine SAS having difficulty on their flights to BKK considering the large Scandinavian population that visits and many that have a 2nd. home here in Thailand.

Quoting something (Reply 34):
the old A345?

Since when did a 7 year old aircraft with low cycles become "old"?
Bring back the Concorde

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:44 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 57):
Hard to imagine SAS having difficulty on their flights to BKK considering the large Scandinavian population that visits and many that have a 2nd. home here in Thailand.

Thats the problem.

While large, its primarily a leisure market. SAS says BKK generates relative low premium traffic, so with its high cost base, and collecting low tourist fares is a bad mix for the carrier. Air France had the same problem, while Lufthansa also recently also complained about its BKK performance.

Thailand is more apt for Scandinavian charter operator, or LCC such as Norwegian that have lower cost base.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

simonisjf

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:53 pm

This is so sad! Malaysia Airlines also stopped flying to South Africa recently. They have also been flying here from KUL for ages!
@simonisjf is where I am at. I love thunderstorms, but only from the ground!

HELyes

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:36 pm

Quoting LAXintl (Reply 58):
While large, its primarily a leisure market. SAS says BKK generates relative low premium traffic, so with its high cost base, and collecting low tourist fares is a bad mix for the carrier. Air France had the same problem, while Lufthansa also recently also complained about its BKK performance.

Thailand is more apt for Scandinavian charter operator, or LCC such as Norwegian that have lower cost base.

It seems Bangkok works for Finnair, they keep on serving BKK 2x daily in winter. One reason is they also carry package holiday customers on their scheduled flights.

[Edited 2012-09-25 12:43:01]

anstar

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:18 pm

Quoting nethkt (Reply 37):

330's cockpit crew stays with 330s and 340's cockpit crew stays with 340-600, 340-500.

I believe Virgin Atlantic are one of the few airlines that mixfleet 330 and 340 flight crews.

Quoting nethkt (Reply 37):
And it has been so long that the B747 cockpit crew last had a trip over Australia, so they need to go there!
A great deal is made, 340's cockpit crew gets LHR and B747's get to visit Australia! Great move!!

So their operational planning is based on where flight crews get to visit? No wonder they are loosing cash!

goldorak

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:52 pm

Quoting anstar (Reply 61):
I believe Virgin Atlantic are one of the few airlines that mixfleet 330 and 340 flight crews.r

AF also.

aviateur

Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:33 am

Wow, this is somewhat startling when you consider the long-time connections between SAS and Thai -- and the connections between Thailand and Denmark in general. There are a lot of Thais in Denmark, and lots of Danes visit Thailand. Not enough premium pax, I guess.

PS
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

LAXintl
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:07 pm

By chance saw a paper story about continued growth and success of Gulf carriers, and had quote from VP of Intercontinental network at SAS about this BKK route.

He said BKK was producing the lowest yields of any longhaul route flown by SAS with very few business passengers particularly during summer months. So even with 60-years history SAS could not sustain the route after years of continued losses, and he blamed much of the decline on the massive increase in capacity and low fare offerings in Europe by Gulf carriers.

He further stated in his view, as legacy European carriers continue to suffer under high costs and declining yields, Bangkok is a awaking sign for the potential in continued reduction in the number markets carriers like SAS viably serve in the face of mounting competition.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

kyrone

Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:35 pm

And how do they plan to turn things around in the face of such competition?

How can they differentiate their product and pull ahead?

Do they still intend to open up SFO??

legacyins

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:25 am

Quoting kyrone (Reply 65):
Do they still intend to open up SFO??

Yes. April 8, 2013.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos