stapleton

RE: Airport Name Changes

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:39 pm

One of the more recent name changes was for the airport serving Bozeman, Montana (BZN). They changed their name last December from Gallatin Field to Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport. The Missoula International Airport (MSO) was originally Johnson Bell Field and in some references it is still used.

Boeing727

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:36 pm

Louisville Standiford Field was renamed to Louisville International Airport in 1995...

Boeing727

northstardc4m

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:38 pm

Well most recently around here, YTZ:

Hanlan's Point Airfield (1930s)
to
Islands Airport (1941)
to
RNAF Little Norway (42-45)
to
Toronto Island Airport (45-70s)
to
Toronto City Center Airport (70s-2009)
to
Toronto Billy Bishop City Center Airport (2009-present)
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

VC10DC10

Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Quoting deltaffindfw (Reply 26):
MSP used to be Wold-Chamberlain Field. Technically, today it is Minneapolis-St Paul/Wold-Chamberlain Intl Airport but no one seems to use it (except fly.faa.gov).

This is correct -- but, fun trivia: the site of Wold-Chamberlain was originally an auto racetrack that became an airfield known as Speedway Field.

Back on topic: Spokane (GEG) was originally Sunset Field but was renamed for one Major Henry Geiger in 1941. In 1946, commercial traffic began moving to GEG from the old Felts Field (I believe because Northwest had trouble flying DC-4s out of Felts), and in 1960 the airport became Spokane International.

FlyPIJets

Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:02 pm

ROA

ROA went from Woodrum Field to Roanoke Regional Airport. Locally, rather than officially, people really said they were head to Woodrum to pick up ..... now it is just the Roanoke Airport.

ae
Rex Kramer: Get that finger out of your ear! You don't know where that finger's been!

turk223

Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:48 pm

I think the Caribbean region has to be noted! I left off the words "airport" or "international airport" in the names... We sure love to honour those politicians, eh?

NAS: Nassau - Lynden Pindling
MBJ: Montego Bay - Sangster
KIN: Palisadoes - Norman Manley
PAP: Francois Duvalier - Toussaint Louverture
SJU: Isla Verde - Luis Muñoz Marín
STT: Harry S. Truman - Cyril E. King
STX: Alexander Hamilton - Henry E. Rohlsen
EIS: Beef Island - Terrance B. Lettsome
AXA: Wallblake - Clayton J. Lloyd
ANU: Coolidge - V. C. Bird
FDF: Le Lamentin - Aimé Césaire
SLU: Vigie - George F. L. Charles
BGI: Seawell - Grantley Adams
SVD: Arnos Vale - E.T. Joshua
GND: Point Salines - Maurice Bishop
TAB: Crown Point - A.N.R. Robinson

manu

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:39 pm

YYZ was originally Malton Airport. Malton Airport remained until October 18, 1960 when it changed to Toronto International Airport.

vatveng

Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:06 pm

RIC - Formerly known as Richard E. Byrd Airport, it opened in 1927 and was named in honor of the Virginia-born (and brother of then Virginia governor Harry F. Byrd) naval admiral and explorer who led early expeditions to both the North Pole and South Pole. In 1984 it was renamed Richmond International Airport. The address of the airport remains 1 Richard E Byrd Terminal Drive, Richmond, VA.
http://www.flyrichmond.com/index.php/about-us/history
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard...rd#Awards.2C_decorations.2C_honors

PHF - originally a WWII US Army base known as Camp Patrick Henry (named after the colonial Virginia statesman), in the post-war years it was converted to a commercial airport but kept the Patrick Henry name. It opened to commercial traffic in 1949 as Patrick Henry Airport, with the airfield named Patrick Henry Field (which is where the airport code PHF comes from).
In 1990 the airport was renamed Newport News/Williamsburg International Airport. The airfield retains the Patrick Henry Field name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Patrick_Henry
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newport...Williamsburg_International_Airport
http://www.flyphf.com/content/index.php/airport-history.html

RyDawg82

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:32 pm

ANC - In 2000, went from being Anchorage International Airport to the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport. The ANC VOR identifier was even recently changed when moved from ANC to TED.

BJC - Went from being the Jefferson County Airport or Jeffco Airport to the Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport on October 10, 2006.

RBD - Went from being the Redbird Airport to Dallas Executive Airport on May 1, 2002

MCI - Kansas City International used to be Mid-Continent International Airport until the early 70's. Wichita (ICT) has subsequently taken that name.

Ryan

greggariouspdx

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:58 pm

JAN Jackson, Mississippi is now Medgar Evers International, named after a slain Civil Rights Leader.

There was much talk in Dallas when Tom Landry passed away to rename DFW in his honor but it never happened.

gunsontheroof

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:53 pm

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 1):
With his death in office, the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport was initially renamed Henry M. Jackson International Airport, but political resistance to the change led to this being reversed in favor of Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. It wasn't that the public didn't want to honor the late Senator, but rather leaders in both Seattle and Tacoma (Tacoma, in particular), fearing the loss of convention business, demanded that their cities name be included in the name of the airport. The airport lies between the two cities in the municipality of SeaTac.

This actually had more to do with the fact that when the airport was built, Tacoma insisted on its name being included as a condition of their providing funding to the project. I suppose the "convention business" story might hold some water, but I've never heard it before.

There was also a push to rename the airport after Boeing's war-time president Philip G. Johnson soon after SEA opened in in 1946, but Tacoma nixed that one too.

Detailed articles for citations if you choose to use them:

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm...isplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=3718

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm...isplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=3718

Also, this:

http://crosscut.com/2009/08/27/cross...-NOT-do-when-beloved-Senator-dies/

[Edited 2012-09-25 15:55:55]
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

Viscount724

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:16 pm

Quoting manu (Reply 56):
YYZ was originally Malton Airport. Malton Airport remained until October 18, 1960 when it changed to Toronto International Airport.

According to a detailed history of YYZ airport dated 2006 (link below) on the 10th anniversary of the GTAA taking over the airport's operation, they say it was Toronto Municipal Airport until March 1, 1960 when the name changed to Malton International Airport, but due to complaints from the city of Toronto, that name only lasted a month when it changed to Toronto International Airport. And in 1984 it changed to Lester B. Pearson International Airport for the former Prime Minister, although it's usually referred to now as Toronto Pearson International Airport.
http://www.torontopearson.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=986

Viscount724

Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:02 am

YXD, the original airport serving Edmonton, and the first licensed airport in Canada when it opened in the 1920s, has had several names over the years.

Blatchford Field
Edmonton Municipal Airport
Edmonton Industrial Airport (used for a while in the '60s/'70s after YEG opened)
Edmonton Municipal Airport (again)
Edmonton City Centre Airport

Sadly, it's due to close for good in another year or two after close to 90 years of operation.

n901wa

Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:52 am

Sorry if this has been posted alredy
LAX - Mines Field
HNL- John Rogers Airport
ITO - General Lyman Field
KOA - Keahole Airport

KOA is kinda a strech, all they did was make it Keahole - Kona- Airport.

milesrich

Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:42 am

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 47):
Well, not exactly. The subject of the evolution of the name of Kennedy Airport in New York came up in another thread a couple of years ago:

Why Was Idlewild Chosen To Be Renamed After JFK? (by FlySSC Apr 28 2010 in Civil Aviation)

As it turns out, an article in the New York Times in December 1963 right after the airport was re-named for President Kennedy prominently highlighted the fact that the airport at Idlewild was already named after someone, i.e., Major General Alexander E. Anderson. The official name of the airport was New York International Airport-Anderson Field. The article has a sub-heading "Already a Memorial," the first paragraph of which reads "Actually, in changing the title of Idlewild Airport to Kennedy Airport, the city would be erasing a memorial to a little-remembered but once prominent veteran of two world wars, Maj. Gen. Alexander E. Anderson."

The "Idlewild" moniker apparently was unofficial. According to the New York Times, the area where the airport eventually was built once housed the Idlewild Hotel and Park. The name "Idlewild" is thought to have been inspired by the fact that the area originally had been wild (i.e., undeveloped) but was developed as a recreational area for the "idle" rich.

I discovered all this in an article that begins on page 1 of the December 5, 1963 issue of The New York Times which is continued on page 35 of the newspaper.

That is an interesting bit of trivia, but on November 21, 1963, if you asked people the name of the airport out in Queens where all the jet flights landed, they would have told you Idlewild. No one ever referred to that airport as Anderson or Anderson Airport, or Anderson Field. The IATA designator was IDL. The airline timetables referred to it as either N.Y. Intl, or Idlewild. I lived in NY at the time, and I am sure if you asked 10,000 air travelers where Anderson Airport was, they probably would have told you Guam, or Anderson, Indiana, if they ever heard of either place. They would not have told you the airport at the intersection of the Belt Parkway and the Van Wyck Expressway. I was sitting next the Arthur Ochs Sulzberger, Jr., the then son of the publisher, and the present publisher of the NY Times, when the fourth grade teacher at the Browning School on 62nd Street in Manhatan, came into our spelling class in the library and told us that JFK had been shot, and that they thought he was still alive, at about 1:15pm EST on 11/22/63, and I can assure you he didn't know the airport was named for Anderson either. That Christmas, I went to visit my dad in the Quad Cities, and departed from Idlewild, and returned to JFK.

PacNWjet

Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:03 am

Quoting milesrich (Reply 64):
That is an interesting bit of trivia, but on November 21, 1963, if you asked people the name of the airport out in Queens where all the jet flights landed, they would have told you Idlewild.

That was the point of the article. I went back and looked at the actual pages from the New York Times on which the article was printed. The tone of the article was one of "gosh, would you believe...?" It seems that when the mayor of New York proposed changing the name of "Idlewild" Airport, in the course of their research on the history of the airport reporters at no less than the New York Times—the "newspaper of record," the "Grey Lady"—were surprised to find that the word "Idlewild" was nowhere in the official name of the airport. It was kind of surprising to everyone involved that the official name of the airport was actually New York International Airport-Anderson Field because everyone knew it as "Idlewild." That was the whole point of the article.

uncgso

Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:11 am

GSO - began as Lindley Field in 1927, then was renamed Friendship Airport, then Greensboro-High Point Airport. This was later changed to Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem Regional Airport. It was then changed again in the late '80s to the current Piedmont Triad International Airport.  

odafz

Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:41 am

Beirut International Airport was re-named into Rafic Harriri Airport after its assassination in 2005

Tripoli International airport (Libya) had consecutive names : Castel Benito- Idriss al Awal-Tripoli Idriss International airport- Tripoli International airport.

Akiestar

Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:17 am

A number of airports in the Philippines have had their names changed, in both directions:

MNL - Manila International Airport was renamed by law as Ninoy Aquino International Airport (after Benigno "Ninoy" Aquino, Jr., who was assassinated at the airport in 1983) in 1986. This was one of the first acts approved by President Corazon Aquino, who happens to be Ninoy's wife.

CRK - Clark International Airport was renamed in 2003 as Diosdado Macapagal International Airport, honoring the sixth President of the Philippines. The rename was done by his daughter, then-President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. Earlier this year, the airport's name was reverted back to Clark International Airport (in part due to the efforts of the current administration to "erase" his predecessor's legacy), but the terminal will be named after Diosdado Macapagal.

BQA - Baler Airport was renamed Dr. Juan C. Angara Airport, the late patriarch of the Angara political clan in the province of Aurora. (This is one of many airports named after ruling politicians or their relatives for the benefit of the ruling family, a practice called epal in the Philippines.)

TAC - Tacloban Airport was renamed Daniel Z. Romualdez Airport, after the late Speaker of the House of Representatives of the Philippines, and father of the now-infamous (and current Ilocos Norte congresswoman) Imelda R. Marcos.

MXI - Mati National Airport was renamed as, quite surprisingly, Imelda R. Marcos Airport, after Imelda herself.

MPH - Caticlan Airport was renamed in 2001 as Godofredo P. Ramos Airport, after Godofredo P. Ramos, the congressman from Malay, Aklan (where the airport is) who is credited for being the "Father of Aklan". In 2011, Transaire Development Holdings Corporation (a unit of San Miguel Corporation), the current airport operator, renamed the airport "Boracay Airport" since the airport serves Boracay. However, they have been held back by legal challenges posed by the descendants of Godofredo P. Ramos, since the airport was renamed (from Caticlan to G.P. Ramos) by law.

EUQ - Antique Airport was renamed Evelio Javier Airport after Evelio Javier, the governor of Antique who was assassinated at the airport in early 1986, two weeks shy of the People Power Revolution which toppled Ferdinand Marcos.

MBT - Masbate Airport was renamed Moises R. Espinosa Airport after Moises R. Espinosa, the governor of Masbate who was assassinated at the airport in 1989.

Two airports in the Philippines are named after the donors who gave the land for airport construction:

DVO - named after Francisco Bangoy, the patriarch of an influential family in Davao City

USU - named after Francisco B. Reyes, mayor of Coron, Palawan at the time the airport was constructed (which was in the 1930s)

milesrich

Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:10 pm

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 65):
That was the point of the article. I went back and looked at the actual pages from the New York Times on which the article was printed. The tone of the article was one of "gosh, would you believe...?" It seems that when the mayor of New York proposed changing the name of "Idlewild" Airport, in the course of their research on the history of the airport reporters at no less than the New York Times—the "newspaper of record," the "Grey Lady"—were surprised to find that the word "Idlewild" was nowhere in the official name of the airport. It was kind of surprising to everyone involved that the official name of the airport was actually New York International Airport-Anderson Field because everyone knew it as "Idlewild." That was the whole point of the article.

I would never have posted my reply had your original post had this commentary. I read and have re-read it and no where in it did you express that finding the airport was named Anderson Field was a surprise to everyone including the Times.

WJ

Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:35 pm

They also have always enjoyed making new airport signs in BUR, which over the years was:

Angeles Mesa Drive Airport (1928–1930),[6] United Airport (1930–1934), Union Air Terminal (1934–1940), Lockheed Air Terminal (1940–1967), Hollywood-Burbank Airport (1967–1978), Burbank-Glendale-Pasadena Airport (1978–2003) and most recently Bob Hope Airport (2003–present).
146,727,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739,742,743,744,752,753,762,763,764,772,300,310,319,320,321,330,343,DC9,D10,MD11,M80,E17

TimRees

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:52 pm

As a Welshman, Cardiff Airport was known as Rhoose before chaining to Cardiff Wales International many years back.

AirframeAS

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:56 pm

Quoting rampart (Reply 31):
I have to ask, if you are doing a report, don't you have to cite some authoritative references? "Nerds on Airliners.net" may be authoritative

I was thinking the exact same thing, but more over seeing that the OP is doing a report, you guys realize that you are not helping him in any way by doing his research for him, right?
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

YYCSpotter

Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:57 pm

I believe that YYC was originally called McCall Field...

[Edited 2012-09-26 15:00:28]

Q

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:05 pm

I wondering. Why ACV code for Eureka, California? There is no AC or V name.

Q

PacNWjet

Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:27 pm

Quoting Q (Reply 74):
I wondering. Why ACV code for Eureka, California? There is no AC or V name.

Well, the airport is closer to Arcata than it is to Eureka which probably explains the AC part of the three-letter code. Actually, the official address of the airport is 3561 Boeing Avenue, McKinleyville, CA 95519, so I would just hazard that the V in the code has something to do with the airport's location in McKinleyville, but that's just a guess.

tsra
Topic Author

Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:12 pm

Thank you everyone for your input. I knew I had asked the right group for this type of information!

PanHAM

Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:41 pm

SXF Berlin Schoenefeld Airport

will become, in case they ever finish that new terminal

BER Berlin Willy-Brandt(schutz)-Airport

THF already has and TXL will become a symbol for wasting tax payers money by destroying valuable infrastructure.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

SLCUT2777

Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:50 am

SLC Salt Lake City International was once known as Woodward Field:

1920 ::

Salt Lake City purchased 100 acres surrounding the landing strip for $40.00 per acre. The resulting airfield was named "Woodward Field," after local pilot John P. Woodward. World heavyweight boxing champion Jack Dempsey was on hand to help christen the airfield, which was a mail service facility only.

http://www.slcairport.com/airport-history.asp
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

zippyjet

Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:05 pm

Wikipedia some of these but hope this helps to verify:

TLV was once Lod then Ben Gorian
Paris was Orly now Charles De Gaulle
The never to be build "Florida Jet Port" became Tamiami airport (non-commercial)
Hopefully I'll come up with more.

And of course Idlewild (NY.) became JFK
Washington National became Ronald REagan International
BWI added Thouroughgood Marshall.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

Viscount724

Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:16 pm

Quoting zippyjet (Reply 79):
Paris was Orly now Charles de Gaulle

ORY and CDG are two different airports. This thread is about aiports that changed their name.

breiz

Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:45 pm

LPL Liverpool: Liverpool Speke Airport > RAF Speke > Liverpool Airport > Liverpool John Lennon Airport (2002)

SGN Ho Chi Minh City (ex-Saigon): Base Aérienne de Tân Sơn Nhất > Tân Sơn Nhứt AB > Tân Sơn Nhất International Airport

NCE Nice: Nice - Le Var > Nice Côte d'Azur (1955)

MRS Marseille: Marseille Marignane > Marseille Provence

bmacleod

Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:40 pm

A few more to mention in Canada.

Montreal Dorval Airport to Pierre E. Trudeau in 2004.

Halifax International Airport to Robert Stanfield Int. (or Halifax Stanfield Int.) 2005
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

skyduster

Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:03 pm

Quoting milesrich (Reply 46):
Fiorello La Guardia was dead for six years before New York Municipal Airport was named for him, even though its development was the works of the Mayor. Prior to the airport being built, commercial flights all landed at Newark. Then during his term in office, La Guardia was flying back home and purchased a ticket that read "New York". When the flight landed at EWR, he pointed out his ticket said, New York and demanded to be flown there, the only airport in NYC being Floyd Bennett Field. This event was used by LaGuardia to push for the construction of what is now LGA, so naming the airport after him made good sense, as he got it built.

To add to this saga, EWR was then officially named -for several years- Newark International Airport until it was "changed" to Newark Liberty International Airport in 2002 (the word "Liberty" being added).

IMO, the airport's official name should include "New York" (something like New York-Newark Liberty), to reflect the fact that it serves the New York metropolitan area.

A similar "name change", if it counts, is GIG:

Rio de Janeiro-Galeão, in 1999 officially became Rio de Janeiro/Galeão – Antônio Carlos Jobim, with the name of the famous musician added to the airport's name.

The "Galeão" comes from Praia do Galeão ("Galleon Beach"), named so because of a famous galleon ship that was built there in 1663.

Quoting rampart (Reply 38):
Ellinikon is named for the city in which it's located. Somewhat like Heathrow or Orly. That airport did not actually change its name, it simply decomissioned. Naming the new airport Ellenikon would have been inaccurate, since it was not located in the city of Ellinikon. According to Wikipedia (which admits up front to some lack of verification on that specific entry), the Ellinikon (Hellenikon) airport did have different names dating from WW II and shortly after. I don't translate Greek and not familiar with Greek names, but perhaps some of those earlier names were personal, and later changing to the place name. But no references given to be definitive.

-Rampart

Correct. Hellinikon is the suburban municipality where the old airport was located. The new one is named Athens Eleftherios Venizelos, sometimes referred to as Spata which is its current location.
mostly lurker, very rare poster

fn1001

Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:05 pm

OTP former Otopeni, now Aeroportul Internațional Henri Coandă
BUH former Băneasa, now Aurel Vlaicu
WAW former Okęcie, now Lotnisko Frederika Chopina
Mai bine să-ţi fie rău decît să-ţi pară rău.

Viscount724

Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:39 pm

Quoting bmacleod (Reply 82):
A few more to mention in Canada.

Montreal Dorval Airport to Pierre E. Trudeau in 2004.

Halifax International Airport to Robert Stanfield Int. (or Halifax Stanfield Int.) 2005

A few other Canadian airports renamed for dead (mostly) politicians with local connections:

Ottawa (YOW) - Macdonald-Cartier (for Canada's first Prime Minister, Sir John A. Macdonald, and for one of the "Fathers of Confederation", Sir George Etienne-Cartier)
Saskatoon (YXE) - John G. Diefenbaker (former Prime Minister)
Hamilton (YHM) - John C. Munro (longtime federal cabinet minister from YHM)
Timmins (YTS) - Victor M. Power (former mayor; he's still alive)
Whitehorse (YXY) - Erik Nielsen (longtime member of parliament for the Yukon, and brother of the late actor Leslie Nielsen, star of probably the funniest aviation-related movie ever made, "Airplane!", in 1980. ("Surely you can't be serious." "I am serious...and don't call me Shirley.")

breiz

Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:11 pm

FCO Rome: Rome-Fiumicino > Rome - Leonardo da Vinci

BEY Beirut: Beirut International Airport > Beirut Rafiq Hariri Int. Airport

It looks like that a lot of airport names have changed from a reference to a geographical location to a reference to a personality.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos