Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MGASJO

RE: Central American Aviation Thread. Part 50

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:07 pm

There's been some rumours wondering around about Avianca caring little about Taca's involvement in regional airlines. Aeroperlas was in trouble and it was left to die. Now there are rumours about Sansa having issues and most likely shutting down soon. I flew the other day to SJO and there were 3 Sansa's Caravans painted all white as if they were ready for sale. Anyone??
Endless Reserve

andrefranca

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:09 pm

Quoting MGASJO (Reply 50):
Sansa having issues and most likely shutting down soon. I flew the other day to SJO and there were 3 Sansa's Caravans painted all white as if they were ready for sale. Anyone??

Charging 200 USD from SJO to LIR oneway , what do they think? by bus you pay 10 usd only and it takes 4 hours, it won't hurt!

I had the chance to fly Aeroperlas, found their service very professional and at the time 114 USD each way from PAC to BDT, now with them gone don't even want to think how much Air panama is charging!  

shaq

Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:36 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 45):

The problem is not Copa, neither TACA.
The problem, is that they don't have any competition in the CentAm or PTY-Colombia market!
Ex.Last time I check, PTY-JFK was 470$ on Nov.
But, PTY-MDE was 461$, and it is a very short flight.
Between PTY and NYC, you have many options, but between PTY and MDE you only have AV&CM
I really love CM, but this is insane!
Studying hard, for flying right!

viaggiare

Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:45 pm

there are rumours about Sansa having issues and most likely shutting down soon

Been hearing those same rumors myself.. unlikely the Colombians will throw money at RZ if it's bleeding that bad.

Quoting andrefranca (Reply 51):
200 USD from SJO to LIR oneway

Check natureair.com for non–resident one–way fares out of SYQ from US$78 restricted to US$120 unrestricted.

[Edited 2012-10-09 17:04:46]
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

viaggiare

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:01 am

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 37):
Tropic Air announced a daily BZE-CUN effective November 12, and a daily SPR-MYF and BZE-MYF (San Ignacio, Belize) effective Dec 10
there were 3 Sansa's Caravans painted all white as if they were ready for sale

I wonder if PM might be interested in any of these birds despite being neither brand–new nor G1000–equipped.

[Edited 2012-10-09 17:12:55]

MGASJO

Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:50 am

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 54):

I wonder if PM might be interested in any of these birds despite being neither brand–new nor G1000–equipped.

They are G1000 equipped. It's been a year or so since RZ had all G1000 fleet.
I think Costeña might catch one of those. Recently brought one brand new one from ICT. They still have 2 non-G1000 Caravans there
Endless Reserve

viaggiare

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:11 am

Quoting MGASJO (Reply 55):
They are G1000 equipped. It's been a year or so since RZ had all G1000 fleet

Well then finding the birds a new home shouldn't be much of a problem.  

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:06 am

Quoting mt99 (Reply 45):
I thought CM was airline of low-prices and good service. I thought TACA was the only one that pillages Central America. Could we have been wrong?

How is that possible?
Madrid - Paris: US 140, round trip in November by Air France.
San Jose - San Salvador: US 380, lowest round trip in November.

Quoting mt99 (Reply 48):
CM rep said that the reason that the Central America flights were so high was due to "High Season".

This statement is doubtful.
Central American inner ticketed flights are usually the same throughout the year either by TACA or COPA.

by bus you pay 10 usd only and it takes 4 hours

Sure. I took last year a trip comfortably from San Jose to Liberia through "Pullmitan" bus lines.  

Regards.
"Goin' up to the spirit in the sky"

viaggiare

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:47 am

Quoting MGASJO (Reply 55):
Costeña

Can you please tell me what type aircraft they use on MGA–RNI flights and whether a stopover in BEF is involved?

viaggiare

Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:05 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 57):
San Jose to Liberia through "Pullmitan" bus lines

Pulmitan has a double–decker bus doing the run since late 2010 — is that the one you took?

andrefranca

Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:45 am

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 59):

I appreciate the natureair site, But i'll take pullmintan on january, as I don't if my inbound flight will be on time and I have some kilos with me 

2travel2know2

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:37 pm

Quoting SHAQ (Reply 52):
The problem, is that they don't have any competition in the CentAm or PTY-Colombia market!

The only competition CM has is: Air Panama thrice weekly between PAC and SJO one stop (immigration/customs) DAV and AV between PTY and BOG thrice daily plus TA PTY-MDE thrice weekly as AV doesn't fly to PTY from other Colombian airports.

The Panamanian regime is spending lots of $$$ in new airports, sure they'd love to have the LAN group as ONX major user.. thus a good way to have a competitor on the Panama City - Central America/Colombia/Peru/U.S. markets.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

mt99

Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:11 pm

Quoting SHAQ (Reply 52):
I really love CM, but this is insane!
Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 57):
This statement is doubtful.
Central American inner ticketed flights are usually the same throughout the year either by TACA or COP

I know. how can a flight that is twice; as long cost half the price!

VIaggaire - you missed me so much before, now you don't even comment on my posts?   Don't you think CM is being awful to Central America? You are impartial person aren't you?
Step into my office, baby

viaggiare

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:07 pm

Quoting mt99 (Reply 62):
VIaggaire - you missed me so much before, now you don't even comment on my posts?

Stayed short of saying I missed you "so much" — let's get that straight.  

Quoting mt99 (Reply 62):
Don't you think CM is being awful to Central America?

They seem to be going down a dangerous path by emulating the rape and pillage part of that failed business model conceived by señor Kriete and friends.. so by all means Copa should immediately repent and give up those evil ways, or the same fate could befall them.

We may have to start advocating intra–CentAm bus travel.. Tica Bus | King Quality | Pullmantur | Línea Dorada.

[Edited 2012-10-10 09:12:39]

2travel2know2

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:29 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 63):
They seem to be going down a dangerous path by emulating the rape and pillage part of that failed business model conceived by señor Kriete and friends.. so by all means Copa should immediately repent and give up those evil ways, or the same fate could befall them.

TA history and its ways (pre- and post- taking over all their Central American competitors) and CM's are quite different.
And CM is a one-hub operation. Yes we complain about CM outrageously high fares for short routes, but lets face it, its major business isn't those passengers flying in/out PTY or within Central America.

From sometime on, there have been suggestions made to CM top-people that it's about time to start using those planes spending the night at some airports around Panama and start a middle-of-the-night-hub bank for (almost) no-frill lower fare flights.
IMHO, late night (or too early morning) flights are something many passengers could tolerate if saving account for lots of $$ when flying regionally.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

viaggiare

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:41 pm

Avianca has now pronounced the friggin' parrots *officially dead* along with what little else remained of that infamous brand.. read more.

[Edited 2012-10-10 14:08:17]

MGASJO

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:34 am

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 58):
Can you please tell me what type aircraft they use on MGA–RNI flights and whether a stopover in BEF is involved?

There is no sure way of knowing. Not even us pilots know what aircraft or route will fly to RNI until the day before the departure. Depending on the loads either the ATR42 or a C208B will take you there; 80% of the times the ATR42 will fly you there. Wether you stop in Bluefields or not is a matter of chance also.
Endless Reserve

viaggiare

Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:21 am

Quoting MGASJO (Reply 66):
There is no sure way of knowing. Not even us pilots know

No wonder I keep getting conflicting information every time. Thanks!

yellowtail

Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:27 am

Charging 200 USD from SJO to LIR oneway , what do they think? by bus you pay 10 usd only and it takes 4 hours, it won't hurt!

Running 208s is not cheap....with the cost of fuel and the cost of those airplanes, fares have to be high. One thing they don't have is good CASM!

Quoting SHAQ (Reply 52):
The problem is not Copa, neither TACA.

Exactly, they will charge waht the market will bear, jsut like any other business

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 54):

I highly doubt it
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:50 am

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 61):
Air Panama thrice weekly between PAC and SJO one stop (immigration/customs) DAV

Speaking about Air Panama into PAC-DAV-SJO thrice a week, we still haven't seen any progress in terms of their frequencies lately.

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 59):
Pulmitan has a double%u2013decker bus doing the run since late 2010 %u2014 is that the one you took?

I rather did my ride in a standard bus.  
The worth point here is about how much is the difference between one single ticket traveling by either bus or small plane from San Jose to Liberia.
We've just found how the ground ticket is ten times cheaper. Probably this situation couldn't be compared with the US or European scenario.

Regards.

juanchito

Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:06 pm

A little quite here.
On October 12, 2012 an Iberia A340 destroyed part of the aproaching light on runway 01 in La Aurora.
Here is a photo. The airplane have to make a go around and then landed safely.

http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/31025_440526909316376_1456233813_n.jpg

Juanchito
Fotografos de Aviacion de Guatemala. Spotter.
https://www.facebook.com/Fot%C3%B3grafo ... 661476921/

AA767LOVER

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:44 am

Quoting mt99 (Reply 45):

I think even I was wrong in my estimation. Price wise, both airlines are basically the same unless something like SPIRIT comes in with an aggressive Latin American strategy to build a base and lower prices. That would be a salvation to our wallets.
Now, I find that COPA's service is kind of dwindling even at the airport, but TACA/LACSA does impress me and making me change my mind about TACA. COPA is now "just fine" while TACA is excelling and really turning tables. Not only is their new livery fresh, but also the interior cabin is very comfy with the new leather seats in econ.
J.I. Tsui, American Advantage Member, United Mileage Plus (Premier)

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:03 am

Quoting AA767LOVER (Reply 71):
Price wise, both airlines are basically the same

I agreed with, in case we're talking about the TACA and COPA inner models in Central America.

Quoting AA767LOVER (Reply 71):
something like SPIRIT comes in with an aggressive Latin American strategy to build a base and lower prices

When NK entered into Central America back in 2007, both TA and AA matched their South Florida fares.
At least in Costa Rica, tickets aren't cheap anymore: NK, TA and AA have risen and matched their South Florida fares.

Regards.

AA767LOVER

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:29 am

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 72):

Not simply within Centroamerica, but systemwide, you cannot equate low fares with any of the two airlines. But, TACA does give you a better run for your money because the service is improving. Even my friend who is a Panameno told me that Copa's service is not that great now. Glad that we have another choice in Star Alliance. I experienced less than mediocre service in Lima. They refused to acknowledge I was a United Premier Silver and was booked in business from LIM-PTY-SJO-PTY-LIM. They let others into the business class line but held me back and made me and my wife stand in the regular line because i had not had the vaccines. Within Centroamerica, they are okay. Short flights are better. Also, out from Lima, don't expect any good service from COPA.
J.I. Tsui, American Advantage Member, United Mileage Plus (Premier)

viaggiare

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:26 am

Quoting AA767LOVER (Reply 73):
TACA does give you a better run for your money because the service is improving

Out with the old.. their entire operation was rebranded as AVIANCA and all feathered creatures were exterminated shortly thereafter.. not only did people associate the old brand with poor service, marketing gurus in Bogotá realized it was paronymous with the spanish word for poop.

viaggiare

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:39 am

Quoting AA767LOVER (Reply 73):
Copa's service is not that great now

I agree in that their service is slipping.. and it seems to be hurting their business somewhat.

shaq

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:50 am

Well, last time I flew on Copa on September, PTY-JFK-PTY
On the first leg I was flying in J, and I was happy with the service really, no complaints.
The food was good, and after that I went to sleep. My FA was courteous and professional.
On the second leg, JFK-PTY, I nearly loose my flight, but I took it.
The check-in was quick and efficient. The gate agent on JFK is very gorgeous, a nice colombian girl.
In this flight I did not got an upgrade, so I was on Y, in the bulkhead.
After the service, the crew dissapeared, but they gave me sundae from J so I was happy.
COPA flies you, on time, nearly without any disruptions, and with a professional crew.
So, on my future flghts, I will continue flying COPA, or UA.
Studying hard, for flying right!

viaggiare

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:22 am

Quoting SHAQ (Reply 76):
the crew dissapeared, but they gave me sundae from J so I was happy

'nough said.. Copa is most deserving of your continued patronage then.  

2travel2know2

Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:26 pm

I've notice CM a bit disorganised when it comes to getting passengers on-board the aircraft.
They're afraid to really enforce the Business Class/Elite and Coach lines policy.
And I've even seen how a gate personnel lets a loud mouth can get an upgrade over those who really qualify for the last minute upgrade.
I'd not blame CM entirely, because the passengers education (or lack of it) have lots to do with their behaviour when flying.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

viaggiare

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:14 pm

Folks traveling on AA this month will find the inflight magazine cover story article (pages 44–54) has been dedicated to Ciudad de Panamá and surrounding areas.

[Edited 2012-10-18 14:23:56]

yellowtail

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:54 pm

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 79):
Folks traveling on AA this month will find the inflight magazine cover story article (pages 44–54) has been dedicated to Ciudad de Panamá and surrounding areas.

And check out AA's Nexos next month for a special on my favorite country.  

viaggiare

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:24 pm

Earlier this afternoon an Avianca (AV/TA) A321 reportedly hydroplaned and veered to the right side of the runway (07) while attempting to land at SJO.

viaggiare

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:01 am

Apparently it was a blown tire (or up to three according to some sources) that caused LR621 (nonstop SALSJO) to skid partially off the runway and into the adjacent grassy area, at approximately 21:50UTC.. preliminary reports of mud ingestion in the #2 engine, and a fire department spokesman quoted as saying "hay hule por toda la pista de aterrizaje" — meaning there's rubber scattered all over the runway.

Avión de TACA pierde el control al aterrizar en aeropuerto Juan Santamaría

Pasajeros se encuentran fuera del avión accidentado

Percance de avión de TACA en el Santamaría atrasa 12 vuelos

[Edited 2012-10-18 17:34:20]

tomascubero

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:08 am

Hey Guys,

Been I think a few years since I checked the forum, actually missed talking about aviation on here! So I'm back with a couple of comments!

Quoting yellowtail (Reply 21):

It's quite old but just wanted to say that Jose Habie owned a LJ45XR, TG-ABY, which he flew himself and had been spotted all the way in TLV once.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © André Inácio

Quoting juanchito (Reply 70):

What happened here? Was it during a G/A and the thrust from the engines damaged them or did it actually touch the lights... doesn't look like it was a good approach in any of the cases...

Apart from that, been quite "away" from the scene, I still do the occasional spotting @ SJO but only into business jets now. Just last week we had Sir Richard Branson come in for less than a day on a FA50 M-VGIN, just a shame he had just sold his "Galatic Girl" G-GALX...

Also had a couple of interesting visits in the last few months:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tomas Cubero Maingot - SJO Spotter

View Large View Medium

View Large View Medium

And apparently for the Lady Gaga concert 4, that's right, FOUR 747-400s are expected on the 1st Nov but reading news articles lately only the last 25 containers (out of 40) will be arriving just before the concert. I'd say 4 is an exaggerated number but we'll definitely see at least one or two. The info is from a very trustworthy source but I still think its not going to happen.

She will be flying on this 757-200 apparently:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Karl K.

Will post more info as soon as I have it!

Regards,
Tomas @ SJO

juanchito

Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:27 pm

Quoting tomascubero (Reply 83):
Been I think a few years since I checked the forum, actually missed talking about aviation on here! So I'm back with a couple of comments!

Welcome back

What happened here? Was it during a G/A and the thrust from the engines damaged them or did it actually touch the lights... doesn't look like it was a good approach in any of the cases...

It actually touch it with the landing gear, it was a bad approach. They make a go-around check if everything was OK then landed.

And apparently for the Lady Gaga concert 4, that's right, FOUR 747-400s are expected on the 1st Nov but reading news articles lately only the last 25 containers (out of 40) will be arriving just before the concert. I'd say 4 is an exaggerated number but we'll definitely see at least one or two. The info is from a very trustworthy source but I still think its not going to happen.

Really interesting I am assuming this are cargo 747 all of them. Hope you can catch some pictures of them.
On question does SJO can handle 4 747 cargo planes at the same time?

Juanchito

2travel2know2

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:21 pm

Today our president gave a report on a TV network about his trip to Germany and said that next year or 2014 LH will be fling to PTY.
I believe it when I see an official release from LH and only LH.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

yellowtail

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:24 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 85):
Today our president gave a report on a TV network about his trip to Germany and said that next year or 2014 LH will be fling to PTY.

Politicians love a good talk....but with Salo and Co. One never knows.

peterinlisbon

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:35 pm

I was just wondering how things were going in Central America now that Avianca has bought TACA and there is even less competition than there was before. So I made this comparison of two return flights of about the same length on the same dates in November (8-22nd)

LON-MAD-LON 61€
SJO-BOG-SJO 511€

This is what happens when there's no competition. I'm so glad I moved back to Europe!

2travel2know2

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:38 pm

Today the Panamanian Presidential Palace Palacio de las Garzas handed out a press release on our president trip to Japan and Vietnam. According to the press release our president will meet NH president Shinichiro Ito.
Given all what the Panama Tourist Authority have been saying about a B787 NRT-PTY non-stop flight, most likely our president will personally try to get that flight to operate soon.
I wrote about that a while ago, IMHO, NH has other priorities for B787 than to use a brand new one to open an ultra-long-haul route to PTY.
I for sure (and I bet CM too) would be very pleased only if NH was to fly NRT-ANC-PTY thrice weekly with B767-300ER instead of having to wait years to get a B787 NRT non-stop flight.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:17 pm

Lady Gaga concert

I'll be there ! 

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 88):
the Panama Tourist Authority have been saying about a B787 NRT-PTY non-stop flight, most likely our president will personally try to get that flight to operate soon.

We have commented about this intended plan before. The recent expansion at PTY and the possible code-share cooperation between CM-NH makes sense into Star Alliance network.

Regards.

2travel2know2

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:05 pm

Quoting SJOtoLIR (Reply 89):
The recent expansion at PTY and the possible code-share cooperation between CM-NH makes sense into Star Alliance network.

CM got to code-share already with OZ, perhaps with NH too but I don't have reliable sources. Not sure there'll be code-share w/CA, SQ and TG but it wouldn't surprise anyone.
One thing is to start to code-share and another start a ultra-long-haul flight with brand new aircraft to an obscure kind of off the beaten path destination, no matter how nice numbers PTY shows NH or how much the Panamanian government want to finance the non-stop flight.
Does NH really have the aircraft and ready to spend disposable resources $$$ to venture into a non-stop service several times per week between NRT and PTY? I don't think so.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

viaggiare

Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:16 pm

Quoting 2travel2know2 (Reply 90):
an obscure kind of off the beaten path destination

Japanese exporters and shipping companies alone would disagree.. and well–educated Japanese leisure travelers would probably find Panamá to be an exotic destination, which is by no means a bad thing.

SJOtoLIR
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:10 am

The Central American airlines are now appearing in places as far as Hawaii by means of code-share services operated by United:

UA 1142.....HNL 07:01.....LAX 15:34.......Code-sharing CM 8148
UA 1047.....HNL 12:30.....LAX 21:03.......Code-sharing CM 8118
UA 1579.....HNL 13:26.....LAX 21:59.......Code-sharing CM 1087 and TA 2012
UA 1048.....HNL 21:00.....LAX 05:20+1...Code-sharing CM 8189
UA 1159.....HNL 23:01.....LAX 07:46+1...Code-sharing CM 1088

Regards.

2travel2know2

Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:49 pm

PTY runways at risk from www.prensa.com in Spanish
Panama National Environment Authority has advised that if the mangroves and swamps close to PTY runways are filled there will be problems with water retention and the runway could be prone to floods.
Lately there has been news of real-estate developments south-west of the "new" runway and there are currently some other projects on their way close to that area towards the Santa María / Costa Del Este areas.
PTY having to operate with one runway because one is close because of floods would be awful for CM hub operations.
I'm not on CM's payroll.

juanchito

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:40 pm

Taca A330-200 is ready to go to LIM to make some test and certifications.
This is a picture of the plane in BOG.

Juanchito

viaggiare

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:52 pm

Local business daily La República ran a somewhat nostalgic piece (subscription required) today on the TACA/LACSA/AVIANCA brand unification. And although 41% of those surveyed said they won't be affected —whether that means they'll adjust favorably or couldn't care less remains unclear— remarks made by two prominent and respected Costa Rican businessmen stand out as explicitly critical of the idea.

The president/CEO of a major consumer electronics, household appliances and furniture retailer with business interests across CentAm said: "No me gusta la idea, pues por los temas de guerrilla y terrorismo, creo que volar bajo una marca colombiana no es lo más recomendable, y además por temas de narcotráfico me parece que hace los vuelos hacia Estados Unidos más problemáticos". —— "I do not like the idea, because of guerrilla and terrorism issues, I believe flying under a Colombian brand is not recommended, and also because of drug issues I think it makes flights to the United States more problematic."

Meanwhile, the man in charge of local operations for a well–known multinational public opinion and market research company was quoted as saying: "Es una lástima. En los primeros ajustes que realizó la empresa colombiana demuestra que no le interesa Centroamérica. Cancelaron el vuelo directo a Santo Domingo y ahora se debe volar por Panamá y Miami, que tarda seis o siete horas. Además, la comida en clase ejecutiva ha desmejorado". —— "It's unfortunate. With its first (route) adjustments, ​​the Colombian company shows no interest in Central America. They canceled the nonstop flight to Santo Domingo and now one must fly through Panama and Miami, which takes six or seven hours. Also, food quality has deteriorated in business class."

Seems AVIANCA's marketing and public relations teams have their work cut out in SJO for now.

RCS763AV

Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:47 am

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 95):
I do not like the idea, because of guerrilla and terrorism issues, I believe flying under a Colombian brand is not recommended, and also because of drug issues I think it makes flights to the United States more problematic."

Well not only is that commentary xenophobic and ignorant, it doesn't acknowledge the many tonnes of colombian and peruvian cocaine that goes through Costa Rica on it's way to the US without major hassle. I can't believe the words of this man. Very pathetic. Drugs are a world problem, and no society has paid a price higher that Colombia's for it, and no other society has fought harder against drug related crime than us. Also, no society in latin america has made more economic progress despite it's internal conflict that Colombia. And it's not like the brand isn't one of the most iconic brands in Colombia or has a 93 year long history of many aviation achievements for Latin America. What a douche.

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 95):
"Es una lástima. En los primeros ajustes que realizó la empresa colombiana demuestra que no le interesa Centroamérica. Cancelaron el vuelo directo a Santo Domingo y ahora se debe volar por Panamá y Miami, que tarda seis o siete horas. Además, la comida en clase ejecutiva ha desmejorado".

Is he for real? So his argument to say they don't care about the region is some flight that got cut and a bad meal he had? What about the many additions of frequency and destinations at both the central american hubs since the merger? Also, don't decades of TACA's astronomic pricing which deprived the central american public from travel count as "not caring for central america"? Who is this guy?

Are these two morons really prominent businessmen in Costa Rica? Couldn't they find someone a little bit less ignorant or close minded than them?

It's sad to see a brand go, and there are many valid arguments against things like these happening. But the article we're seeing here is just an example of poor journalism which limits itself to interviewing some a+holes that will tell stories that can add value to the point they are trying to make with this should be Pulitzer nominee. I must say it's very disappointing to read this newspaper.

viaggiare

Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:55 am

Quoting RCS763AV (Reply 96):
Are these two morons really prominent businessmen in Costa Rica?

One of them was listed by Revista Summa among the 100 most successful CentAm businessmen and the other is a former longtime president of the Costa Rican–American Chamber of Commerce aka AMCHAM.

Quoting RCS763AV (Reply 96):
Couldn't they find someone a little bit less ignorant or close minded than them?

I was stunned by such candid remarks attributed to Mr. Monge.. methinks he may have been speaking off the record.

RCS763AV

Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:39 am

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 97):
I was stunned by such candid remarks attributed to Mr. Monge.. methinks he may have been speaking off the record.

On or off the record, his remarks are retarded and absolutely incorrect. What a character.

Quoting viaggiare (Reply 97):
One of them was listed by Revista Summa among the 100 most successful CentAm businessmen and the other is a former longtime president of the Costa Rican–American Chamber of Commerce aka AMCHAM.

Well then clearly they have some studying, traveling and reading to do in their lives. One speaks from the point of view of a person who flies once a year and treats experiences subjectively, and the other is just a plain xenophobic moron. I hope Mr. Monge comes under fire fro those remarks, as a business leader he has to have social responsibilities too.

Anyway, as the article states, most of the people either don't care or think this is a positive change. I think brighter times are coming to central america's skies on the hands of Avianca and with Don Efro on board. You'll see, what he did for colombian aviation was amazing.

Summa767

Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:52 am

Quoting juanchito (Reply 94):
Taca A330-200 is ready to go to LIM to make some test and certifications.
This is a picture of the plane in BOG.

First a correction: The picture is not in BOG, but in MDE, where the group's widebodies tend to go for mx.
Great to see an A330 with the Taca logo, even if it is in a small version, among the Star Alliance scheme.
This is the second newest A330 of the group, having being delivered in January of this year.

We'll have to see what routes it will cover. We had heard EZE, MIA, and somebody mentioned LIM-SAL-LAX.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos