737tdi

RE: AA Up To 30 Rows Of Seats On 757 Not Secured

Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:28 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 99):
It is quite possible that the previous shift put the seats into position, but didn´t lock the fasterners into the seat tracks (a nasty job with today´s seat pitches, because you have to lie between the seats and have barely space to move. Also it is often quite dirty down there). The next guy came, didn´t have time to do a physical check, saw the seats in place and closed the work card as "job done". Human factors at it´s best.

Jan

MD11/Engineer, Jan, if I may call you by your name? My name is Karl. I know exactly what you are speaking of when it comes to signing for other peoples work. In my years before SWA I spent several years doing exactly that, signing/performing/inspecting (but not an inspector, just the responsible mech.)

I do have to say though, seat installation is not very difficult. No matter the type of seat. It is actually very straight forward or back depending on the seat. LOL. We do seat row changes in under 15 minutes (and they are secure).

It's a matter of cleaning the mount areas in the track so the seat feet mount correctly and securely. It ain't so hard, really.

I'm 50 years old and I can still fall down with the young guys and lock a seat in. 

MD11Engineer

Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:29 pm

Quoting 737tdi (Reply 100):
I do have to say though, seat installation is not very difficult. No matter the type of seat. It is actually very straight forward or back depending on the seat. LOL. We do seat row changes in under 15 minutes (and they are secure).

It's a matter of cleaning the mount areas in the track so the seat feet mount correctly and securely. It ain't so hard, really.

I'm 50 years old and I can still fall down with the young guys and lock a seat in.

It is like lubing: A very important job, but one which doesn´t need much skills, just dilligence, and where you are likely to get yourself dirty. So such jobs are often delegated to the most junior or most stupid mechs, whom you don´t trust with other, more difficult jobs. Often these guys are also slackers, trying to get the job "done" without too much effort.
We once had one of the aft flap linkages on a 747 breaking off (fortunately there were three others on the flap, so that the flap stayed in place). On inspection I found that the joint in this linkage had seized because it was completely dry, which then overstressed it and caused it to break. I then had all the other flap joints checked and lubed and found that there were some grease fittings missing at some of them, so no lubing even possible, and most had very old grease in them, if they were not even dry, but somebody must have signed for the last lube job before (not at our station though).

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

737tdi

Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:56 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 101):
So such jobs are often delegated to the most junior or most stupid mechs, whom you don´t trust with other, more difficult jobs. Often these guys are also slackers, trying to get the job "done" without too much effort

Wow!!! See that's something that does not happen here. A mechanic gets an airplane and all of its faults whether its a lube or a MEC/HMU change???? We have NO seniority when it comes to aircraft assignment, it is what it is. Am I way off base here? We just don't worry about seniority when it comes to aircraft repair, granted if a dude has problems he will get help. I will help, *** will help, everyone/body will help. Its all about getting that/the aircraft ready for the first flight. Period. Just the way it is here at WN. Passengers come first, my sleep/rest comes second (up to a point of fatigue).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos