Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyBlue777
Topic Author

Enforcing Boarding Procedures?

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:26 pm

The most annoying thing to me:
People boarding before their suppose to. Will this ever get better??

Which carrier is the best, and who's the worst?

Does anyone here "cheat?"

Does anyone "speak-up" at the gate, when you see others clearly boarding out of order???

phxa340

RE: Enforcing Boarding Procedures?

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:35 pm

This will and always be will controlled by the gate agent. I find no airlines is better than others. Sometimes the agent just doesn't care and some make a Federal issue of it if you try to board out of order.

[Edited 2012-10-07 16:36:04]

jetmatt777

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:36 pm

Quoting FlyBlue777 (Thread starter):
Will this ever get better??

Probably not in the near future.

It comes down to the individual gate agent. Probably not carrier specific.

Does anyone here "cheat?"

I board when my group/row is called.

Does anyone "speak-up" at the gate, when you see others clearly boarding out of order???

I'm not a tattle-tale. It's annoying.

foppishbum

Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:50 pm

I tend to agree with the previous comments. This will probably never get better as there are "new travelers" every day. Boarding process is also highly depending on traveler's perceived authority of the gate agents.

One time I upgraded myself to First on US Airways JFK - PHX - BUR. When First Class was called to board, I approached the gate. The gate agent took a look at me without seeing or asking for my boarding pass and immediately said "Sir, we're boarding First Class ONLY" in a snippy, haughty tone. It was a bit rude, IMO, granted it was around 6:15 AM and people are probably still grouchy. I didn't get an apology after I presented my boarding pass either...not that I was looking for one. Oh well.
TPE X LAX X NYC :airplane:

BC77008

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:02 am

I've seen the UA agents doing a very good job of enforcing the group boarding.
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

BasilFawlty

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:25 am

Will this ever get better??

Probably not, most people prefer to behave like stupid, dumb and ignorant idiots when travelling. Very strange if you ask me, because in other daily life situations the majority of them will manage very well, so why can't they when on a journey?  

I always like Ryanair with the two queues; one for Priority Boarding, one for the rest. Very simple but very effective at most airports.

Quoting Jetmatt777 (Reply 2):
It comes down to the individual gate agent. Probably not carrier specific.

As well as the airport infrastructure like how the boarding gate is set up and how many space is available.

[Edited 2012-10-07 18:41:41]
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

spudsmac

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:07 am

Just to get this straight, you all are worried about people getting on the plane before their zones are called?

Sheeze, I always wait till last call to board. I don't want to be on a cramped metal tube with strangers any longer than I have to.

[Edited 2012-10-07 20:10:00]

foppishbum

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:23 am

Quoting spudsmac (Reply 6):

Just to get this straight, you all are worried about people getting on the plane before their zones are called?

Not that I lose any sleep thinking about people attempting to board when their zone/row isn't called but there are legitimate reason to think about it.

I sometimes care about it if I only travel with carry-on bags and need that bin space. I'd hate to be the last to board and find out there's no more spaces in the overhead bins for my carry-on roller and have to check my luggage...and wait at the baggage reclaim.
TPE X LAX X NYC :airplane:

AirIndia

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:55 am

Garuda has adopted the color code policy for boarding, They acknowledge that some people may not follow English Alphabets, so they give a color code on the boarding pass. When their color flashes on the screen, pax can start to board. Now only the color blind may face a challange. However, costs for installation of new infrastructure to print color coded boarding passes might be too high for the airlines in the current scenario.

NWADTWE16

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:58 am

A good gate Agent or 'team' of agents can control this... and it can be done without pissing off passengers. I remember boarding planes with the simple announcement (now this was prior to zones). "We are now boarding rows 30-42, which does NOT include rows 10-30" This simple statement is true, makes 'cheaters' feel like they shouldnt try and cheat and creates laughter amongst the other passengers. Boarding was always orderly and 99 out of 100 planes left early =)
I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list!

seabosdca

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:46 am

Agreed that it very much depends on the particular gate agent(s) involved, and the kind of day they are having.

But I wish boarding order would be enforced more strictly. It is always *so* annoying to do everything right, to get on as one of the first passengers in my group or row area, and still have to wait for my carry-on to appear at the baggage claim at the other end because people snuck on early.

CPHFF

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:30 am

Most "Cheaters" have large carry-ons. If they get on the flight to late, there will be no room in the overhead bins.

In Europe, a lot of airports are switching to self-service gates. Very common in FRA for example. So no one is checking if your row number is correct for the zone currently boarding.

Quoting BasilFawlty (Reply 5):
Probably not, most people prefer to behave like stupid, dumb and ignorant idiots when travelling.

¨
Yes, and selfish. Block the whole isle and completely ignoring the 50 people waiting for them to get out of the way.
If it weren't for UAW, Detroit would shine!

migair54

Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:51 am

for me Easyjet is one of the best, last time i flew them out of LGW they have the A320 divided in 4 sections and the boarding was done from the back to the front, but this was like 3-4 years ago. Sometimes I see people boarding planes like there´re no enough seat for everybody.

The problem with the carry on bags never happens in Ryanair for example, you can always find plenty of space to store your bags in the overhead lockers.

FlyDeltaJets

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:37 pm

Quoting AirIndia (Reply 8):

Cathay also does that but they use a color coded plastic sleeves to accomplish it though.
The only valid opinions are those based in facts

qf002

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:17 pm

This would be one big benefit to automatic gates replacing gate agents -- the system could know which rows/zones had been called for boarding and simply refuse to let anybody else through until they had been called. Or, ideally, force cheaters into a holding pen where they have to awkwardly wait as everybody else walks past, only letting them onto the plane after everyone else has boarded...

eaglepower83

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm

Here's a few oddities this former UA flyer noticed on my recent AA trip from BDL to TPA (with connections in Chicago and Miami).

- There was plenty of space in the overhead bins....do AA flyers just accept the fees and check their stuff. It was always a battle for overhead space on UA.

- On my AA flights, nobody used the "Priority AAcess lane." I have P.AA with my credit card, and jumped into the lane....presumably cutting in front of the other P.AA members in the General lane. The GA ignored me for a good couple mintues, then took my pass.
Weird! I felt like such a jerk.

- People generally baorded with their group numbers. There were a few hovering gate lice.....but no mob scene like on every UA flight I've been on, since ever.

IDK, everything at AA so far just seems smoother and more civil, with the oddity of nobody using the P.AA lane. Not even First Class passengers (on the 4 segments I flew).

Unflug

Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:13 pm

Quoting foppishbum (Reply 3):
This will probably never get better as there are "new travelers" every day. Boarding process is also highly depending on traveler's perceived authority of the gate agents.

I don't think the new travellers are the problem, but rather those frequent travellers with too much hand luggage.

Quoting CPHFF (Reply 11):
In Europe, a lot of airports are switching to self-service gates. Very common in FRA for example. So no one is checking if your row number is correct for the zone currently boarding.

But the system could do this, if it was wanted by the airline:

Quoting qf002 (Reply 14):
This would be one big benefit to automatic gates replacing gate agents -- the system could know which rows/zones had been called for boarding and simply refuse to let anybody else through until they had been called.

That would solve the problem.

CRJ900

Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:28 pm

Quoting NWADTWE16 (Reply 9):
We are now boarding rows 30-42, which does NOT include rows 10-30" This simple statement is true, makes 'cheaters' feel like they shouldnt try and cheat and creates laughter amongst the other passengers.

What a clever announcement, I'll tip our gate agents about this   They usually just say "we're now boarding rows 16-31." - and then everyone else queue up too...
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

RyanairGuru

Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:33 pm

Quoting Unflug (Reply 16):
That would solve the problem.

I love the idea in theory, but I'm not sure it would work in practice. If the scanner refuses to accept the boarding pass and the doors don't open, you average "cheater" is less likely to meekly stand aside with their head down than shout at the agent a good 10 metres away that there is a problem. When informed that it is them that is the problem for boarding out of sequence, they probably still wouldn't move but rather just try and scan their boarding pass again. They will only get out of the way when the agent has stopped what they're doing, walked over and forcefully instructed the passenger to move, possibly with a bit of back-chat first. This would hold up the boarding lane for well over a minute meaning that nodoby else could board.

My personal solution is to do what QF do for domestic flights: open boarding. Business Class? Tough. Platinum Frequent Flyer? Ditto. You don't get a special page to come up and grace the gate area before the riff raff are able to. It is a complete free for all. And you know what? It works! QF board all domestic mainline flights (regardless of whether it is a 737 through A330) 20 minutes before departure, and in my experience it has only ever taken more than that once (25 minutes boarding a 737 - mostly because 5 passengers couldn't be bothered getting their ass to the gate while we all sat on board). I know from having seen it multiple times that it is perfectly easy to load a full 767 in under 20 minutes, with no need for fancy zones.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

GolfBravoRomeo

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:25 pm

Quoting BC77008 (Reply 4):
I've seen the UA agents doing a very good job of enforcing the group boarding.

Because it seems everyone is in the first group.

traveler_7

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:45 pm

Obviously it is much more pleasurable experience to board when Agent enforce and pax follows boarding procedure. But then it is very disappointing to find out that some one seating "far away" placed their luggage on the overhead compartment above your seat. In other words some one has stolen you luggage space! So perhaps cabin crew should pay more attention where luggage is stored.

Regards,
Sven

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos