Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SCL767
Topic Author

Latam Airlines Group Optimistic About Growth

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:00 am

CNN Business Traveller video focusing on LATAM Airlines and its growth plans:
LATAM optimistic about growth

LATAM is very optimistic about the B-787 Dreamliners and the role that the B-787s will play in opening new long-haul routes to Europe. It should be noted that LAN will receive three B-787s this year; not two as mentioned in the video.

LATAM plans to further strengthen its presence in the European market by opening new direct routes to more cities in Europe from South America:
Los responsables de la expansión de LATAM Airlines en el mercado Europa-Latinoamérica

Eltomzo

RE: Latam Airlines Group Optimistic About Growth

Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:20 am

So Richard Quest kept badgering the Latam guy for an alliance hint. Well he can discount Star because one of the conditions of the Latam merger was that the new entity cannot join the same alliance as Avianca-Taca, who have announced their intent to join Star. Anybody think it could be Skyteam, or is it pretty clear that it will be OW?

VC10er

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:18 am

I thought Star was out from the beginning because the governments said they could not split alliances?

I think that in the not so distant future we will see one brand across the continent. And a very big airline brand at that! Cross fleeting would give them amazing flexibility I would assume also. I'd love a 787, 777 or even a new 767 from the USA to Brazil!

Will Avianca ever come close to the routes LATAM will have?
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

SCL767
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:34 am

Quoting VC10er (Reply 2):
I thought Star was out from the beginning because the governments said they could not split alliances?

TAM is permitted to stay in the Star Alliance for up to 20 months after the completion of the merger with LAN; which occurred last June.

I'd love a 787, 777 or even a new 767 from the USA to Brazil!

TAM recently received two new B77Ws and will soon receive another two new B77Ws. TAM now operates GRU-MIA 2x daily with the B77W and will soon operate GRU-JFK 9x weekly with the B77W. TAM has additional B77Ws on order. Also, LAN recently applied with the ANAC to operate daily non-stop flights between GIG and MIA utilizing the B-767-316ERs.

Viscount724

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:16 pm

Quoting SCL767 (Reply 3):

TAM is permitted to stay in the Star Alliance for up to 20 months after the completion of the merger with LAN; which occurred last June.

There's quite a bit of speculation in the trade press that when TAM ends their Star Alliance membership that they may remain non-aligned. Not being an alliance member will give them more flexibility to make deals with other carriers. LAN is likely to stay in OW..

VC10er

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:31 am

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 4):

So TAM could still keep some code shares with United and LH?
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

Viscount724

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:01 pm

Quoting VC10er (Reply 5):

So TAM could still keep some code shares with United and LH?

See the 4th last paragraph in this recent Aviation Week article.
http://www.aviationweek.com/Article....e-xml/AW_10_08_2012_p24-502428.xml

acontador

Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:01 pm

There's quite a bit of speculation in the trade press that when TAM ends their Star Alliance membership that they may remain non-aligned. Not being an alliance member will give them more flexibility to make deals with other carriers. LAN is likely to stay in OW..

That is entirely possible. However, I would rather tend to think that TAM will actually switch to OW, knowing a bit how the LAN management has acted in the past. Please remember that OW is actually quite permissive when it comes to code-share or other agreements with airlines of other alliances, there are many very public examples of this lately. Accordingly, it looks like there is not much to gain for TAM remaining unaligned, but probably more potential to gain from switching to OW.

Anyhow, we will only know for sure when LAN sees fit that we do, and that may take awhile...

Cheers,
Andres
Just sit back, relax and have a glass of Merlot...enjoy your life!