Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aacun

New AA Color Scheme Confirmed...painted - Part 1

Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:14 pm

Maybe they unveil the new image using both the 77w and a new 738. That would be cool.

Inbound

Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:18 pm

Quoting Airport (Reply 207):
This is NOT the new livery, to clear up any confusion on the matter. This is just a student piece I did back in April-May of this year. Unless I'm about to get a huge surprise, it's nothing more than coincidence that the lines on the design currently on the 777-300 bears resemblance to mine.

I do appreciate the feedback though!

This design is simply bada$$. I love it.
Fingers crossed!
Maintain own separation with terrain!

PHX787

Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:54 pm

OK so back to the topic at hand, guys   

Anyone got more intel on what's going on with this AA plane? Any more pictures from Matt Cawby or anyone?
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

airjamaica

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:01 pm

Quoting Airport (Reply 207):
This is NOT the new livery, to clear up any

confusion on the matter. This is just a student piece I did back in

April-May of this year. Unless I'm about to get a huge surprise, it's

nothing more than coincidence that the lines on the design currently on the

777-300 bears resemblance to mine.

I do appreciate the feedback though!

Not a bad design, but it reminds me alot of AM. Personally I hope they don't

change up the current AA livery too much. Maybe a little tweak yes, but not

a change to the extent where they end up spoiling this classic and iconic

one.
airjamaica

Viscount724

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:43 pm

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 253):
Personally I hope they don't

change up the current AA livery too much. Maybe a little tweak yes, but not

a change to the extent where they end up spoiling this classic and iconic

one.

Agree. I hope it's just a minor change, much like AF did to update their classic livery from the 1970s, with a new more modern typeface, the name in a darker shade of blue, one less stripe on the tail, and adding the red "swirl".

Old and new.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © William Verguet
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Alex Sandro Vicente Barbosa

DocLightning

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:11 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 254):
Agree. I hope it's just a minor change, much like AF did to update their classic livery from the 1970s,

AF did not need an entire new brand identity. In fact, I don't know why they even bothered changing their livery at all, since the change was so minimal.

AA does need an entire new brand identity.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Viscount724

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Quoting DocLightning (Reply 255):
Agree. I hope it's just a minor change, much like AF did to update their classic livery from the 1970s,

AF did not need an entire new brand identity. In fact, I don't know why they even bothered changing their livery at all, since the change was so minimal.

It coincided with a significant branding change with a redesigned website and other communication materials. The new typeface and swirl is much more modern than the old. The darker blue is also quite noticeable if you compare the old and new side by side, not in photos.

airjamaica

Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:49 pm

Agree. I hope it's just a minor change, much like AF did to update their classic livery from the 1970s, with a new more modern typeface, the name in a darker shade of blue, one less stripe on the tail, and adding the red "swirl".

Old and new.

Agree as well. AF was the first carrier that came to my mind. I like how they just did minor tweaks to the original livery. Apart from the '' euro white '' ( that so many of them sport nowadays, I like what they have done with the AF font and tail design.

In fact, I don't know why they even bothered changing their livery at all, since the change was so minimal.

Change was minimal, but it looks great in my opinion.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 256):
The new typeface and swirl is much more modern than the old. The darker blue is also quite noticeable if you compare the old and new side by side, not in photos.

Agree.

AA does need an entire new brand identity.

My only concern is that they may change it for the worst where appearance is concerned. Have to admit, I still like the existing one.
airjamaica

DoubleDelta

Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:07 pm

Quoting airjamaica (Reply 257):
My only concern is that they may change it for the worst where appearance is concerned. Have to admit, I still like the existing one.

Well, scruffy unpolished bare metal with a cheatline straight out the 70s... can't get too much worse than that! The only way AA's livery can get worse than the current, is if they eliminate the cheatline and just have bare metal like a typical cargo airline. I can't WAIT for the rebranding. I've been waiting for this for over 20 years!
Northwest Airlines — my very first flight aboard a Boeing 727-251ADV.

sstsomeday

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:27 am

Quoting sancho99504 (Reply 5):
Just north of L2 door is an American flag, nothing close to the Chilean flag.

Aren't A/C sometimes ferried with temporary American registration, to be painted and further outfitted by their foreign owners?
I come in peace

Viscount724

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:33 am

Quoting SSTsomeday (Reply 261):
Quoting sancho99504 (Reply 5):
Just north of L2 door is an American flag, nothing close to the Chilean flag.

Aren't A/C sometimes ferried with temporary American registration, to be painted and further outfitted by their foreign owners?

Read the rest of the thread. It was clarified a couple of hundred replies ago that the flag was an actual flag on a flagpole. Nothing to do with the aircraft.

AA767400

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:42 pm

Quoting DoubleDelta (Reply 244):

LOL. I always chuckle when I hear people saying absurd things to the effect of "AA's polished bare metal is timeless." It almost seems like a poorly written SNL joke that was poorly written, purposefully, to evoke a larger laugh. Bare metal aircraft that are usually poorly maintained which result in a washed out, dull, smudged aluminum body ... then you add a thick red/white/blue cheatline that looks straight out the late-70s ... and then a old halvetica font spelling out "American"—again, looking straight out the 70s—don't register as "timeless" to me. I honestly don't know how anyone can say AA's livery is (chuckle) "timeless," with a straight face.

It's a matter of opinion. You can chuckle all you want, but the truth is that the vast majority of people find AA's current livery appealing. Timeless, elegant, and classic are a variety of ways people view it. Not to mention it sets them apart from the boring and dull all white liveries out there.

Opinions and tastes aside - I do think AA needs to revamp it's image. They need to refresh themselves into a new company post bankruptcy. Looking at the aircraft in question, it seems like they're not going with all white which is great.
"The low fares airline."

PHX787

Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:49 pm

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 261):
I do think AA needs to revamp it's image. They need to refresh themselves into a new company post bankruptcy

That's what DL did and look where they are now. They redid their image, acquired NW, and became this giant successful airline.
Follow me on twitter: www.twitter.com/phx787

SA7700

RE: New AA Color Scheme Confirmed...painted - Part 1

Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:14 pm

This thread has become quite long and will be locked in favor of part 2, which can be found here: New AA Color Scheme Confirmed...painted - Part 2

Enjoy the forums!  

Rgds,

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos