Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

factsonly
Topic Author

KLM Opens Reservations For AMS-FUK-AMS

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:18 pm

KLM's reservations systems are listing a new flight AMS-Fukuoka-AMS for Summer 2013:

- dep. 14.40 Amsterdam - arr. 08.20 Fukuoka - non-stop 10h40 - KL0869 B772 Sun, Wed, Fri
- dep. 10:25 Fukuoka - arr. 15:05 Amsterdam - non-stop 11h40 - KL0870 B772 Mon, Thu, Sat

KLM will also operate AMS-NRT (11x week) and AMS-KIX (7x week)

Fukuoka is located on Japan's Southern Island Kyushu.

KLM has operated to Sapporo and Nagoya in the past.

www.klm.com

[Edited 2012-10-17 12:20:39]

[Edited 2012-10-17 12:28:38]

kaitak

RE: KLM Opens Reservations For AMS-FUK-AMS

Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:21 pm

Interesting! This makes KL the only European airline to serve Fukuoka (though not the first - BA served FUK very briefly with 742s in the 1980s)

They operated to NGO via CTS with MD11s.

Carpethead

Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:05 am

What a shock considering the longest destination currently served from FUK is HNL.
I would have expected NGO since its a bigger city, but nonetheless welcome addition.
I would have picked LH as the first European airline to operate from FUK in over a decade. But then again LH doesn't really have suitable aircraft to operate long-haul out of 2,700m runway. KL's 772s would be perfect.
Though its going to get crowded at those times. Many regional flights arrive and depart around that time period for a six gate int'l facility. They only have to avail a handful more remote stands, so they might have to start adding more remote stands.

Quoting kaitak (Reply 1):
BA served FUK very briefly with 742s in the 1980s

I believe it was with 744s during the 1990s.

SCQ83

Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:13 am

Quoting carpethead (Reply 2):

It seems that KL likes to try "niche" Asian markets with little to no competition from Europe. Chengdu, Hangzhou, Xiamen, Jakarta and Manila come to my mind. Are there any other Japanese airports with direct service to Europe/Middle East in addition to NRT/HND, KIX and NGO?

Carpethead

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:27 am

Quoting SCQ83 (Reply 3):
Are there any other Japanese airports with direct service to Europe/Middle East in addition to NRT/HND, KIX and NGO?

Nope. No other Japanese city have intercontinental service other than the slated HA flight to Sapporo (CTS) from HNL.

sr117

Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:46 am

Wow, interesting to hear, Fukuoka really is getting some love lately. They went from no long hauls to two daily HNL flights and now an AMS flight.

It's a nice city, would be nice to see a link to North America again. Also, when it comes to major Japanese airports, it's by far the most conveniently located, a couple of subway stops (literally) and you're at the main train station with easy access to anywhere in Kyushu and Southwestern Honshu.

infinit

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:24 am

Fukuoka seems to be bustling. SQ has a 5-weekly direct SIN-FUK which is going to become a daily.

I've traveled extensively arouund Japan except Hokkaido and Kyushu so I haven't been to Fukuoka. Does anyone know what's going on in Fukuoka? Here in Singapore it seems to be getting more attention than Tokyo and Osaka lately!

B747-4U3

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:39 am

Quoting infinit (Reply 6):

Not sure exactly what is going on in Fukuoka, but I would hazard a guess that it is becoming an increasingly popular hub for tourism. Kagoshima ( and Sakurajima), Nagasaki, Hiroshima, Mt Aso and various hot spring towns are all within 1-2hr train ride from Hakata Station - which makes it especially attractive for those with the rail pass. What's more, Fukuoka itself has quite a few things to see and do ( lots of shopping, interesting buildings, parks, beach) and is a really nice place to be - I think it was rated as one of the most liveable cities in the world.

FlySSC

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:05 am

Beside FUK started by KLM, Air France should announce NGO nonstop from CDG soon

ben175

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:32 am

I have travelled through Japan and Fukuoka was my least favourite city, but it does have a certain quality that would appeal to some travellers. However, Kagoshima and other cities on Kyuushu are absolutely gorgeous.

Great to see KL venturing out into more niche markets.

Carpethead

Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:40 am

Quoting infinit (Reply 6):
Fukuoka seems to be bustling. SQ has a 5-weekly direct SIN-FUK which is going to become a daily.

Actually, the SIN-FUK route has been switching back and forth between 5-weekly & daily for the past ten years.
Besides, it used to be operated by regionally configured 772 before the current A333, so it is still nevertheless a capacity downgauge.

gardermoen

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:38 am

I'm surprised that Finnair dont fly here, considering they seem to have a strong presence in North Asia.
Come to think of it, none of the big 3 gulf airlines do either.
I am sure KLM will do well.

teme82

Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:37 am

Quoting gardermoen (Reply 11):
I'm surprised that Finnair dont fly here, considering they seem to have a strong presence in North Asia.

AY currently don't have the planes for it. They are waiting for the A350 to able to expand and get rid of the old A343's  

TC957

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:34 am

This is a welcome surprise. I love spotting at FUK on my annual Japan visits, great airport and only two stops on the metro to the central Hakata rail terminal for bullet train and regional service all over western Japan. As Carpethead pointed out, currently there's only 6 stands on the international terminal and already some aircraft get towed off to remotes as soon as they have unloaded during the morning asian peak. I'm sure KLM will get maximum stand priority though, as it'll be FUK's most prestigious service now.
I would have thought KL might try and serve FUK as an add-on to CTS, a city served before.

Nicoeddf

Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:52 pm

Quoting carpethead (Reply 2):
But then again LH doesn't really have suitable aircraft to operate long-haul out of 2,700m runway. KL's 772s would be perfect.

Don't you think, a quad would be even better suited for a shorter runway?!

Carpethead

Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:55 pm

Quoting TC957 (Reply 13):
I would have thought KL might try and serve FUK as an add-on to CTS

KLM only had service to CTS because of the runway length at NGO (old). It was only 2,500m. Not exactly long for hauls to Europe though LH did it with A343 until the new airport, Centrair opened. Still today, not sure what kind of weight penalties that flight had on the outbound flight.

Quoting teme82 (Reply 12):
AY currently don't have the planes for it. They are waiting for the A350 to able to expand and get rid of the old A343's

Old, LQA is one of the oldest A343s still operating but I am sure a certain airline in France is willing to part with more A340s.

YULWinterSkies

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:07 pm

Quoting SR117 (Reply 5):
It's a nice city, would be nice to see a link to North America again. Also, when it comes to major Japanese airports, it's by far the most conveniently located, a couple of subway stops (literally) and you're at the main train station with easy access to anywhere in Kyushu and Southwestern Honshu.

I hope DL is hearing you. An A332 or a (revamped) 763 service to SEA could work out just fine. DTW would be better in terms of connections, but being much further, it forces the use of a larger aircraft which might be a problem in terms of over-capacity. And DL only has a very limited number of 777s and some heavy use for them. Less use of their 747s but these would be overly big for FUK.

Quoting teme82 (Reply 12):
They are waiting for the A350 to able to expand and get rid of the old A343's

AY also has among the newest A343s, and these are certainly much upgraded from the original -311s that are certainly starting to show their age.

Quoting nicoeddf (Reply 14):
Don't you think, a quad would be even better suited for a shorter runway?!

A quad in general yes, but I think the issue may be with older A343s, some that LH operates, for instance. The A346 is probably fine but might be too large for a new destination such as FUK, and the A333X is borderline in terms of range (or might be fine but payload would be hurt severely). So, it may not be economically feasible for LH (I can hear you mumbling, you 777 fanboys!!!)
AF has no problems with A340 at SXM, but we are talking about a shorter t-atl flight.

kl911

Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:15 pm

Great news. I am still waiting for the first airline to start Fukuoka - Innsbruck - Helsinki..  

standby87

Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:09 pm

I flew the BA route LHR-OSA-FUK several times in the 1990s. It was a bit of a pain because it wasn't allowed to go Transiberian due to Russian slot restrictions and my flight log tells me one LHR-OSA was 14 hours 30 minutes airbourne!
But this is:

Great news for enthusiasts: clean well designed airport and excellent viewing facilities. A walk round the perimeter is highly recommended.

Great news for flyers: if the winds are right, you get a steep banked left hand approach over the city before a very short final. It's not quite HKG Kai Tak, but it's not bad.

Great news for business and pleasure: lot of exciting nightlife in FUK, but I'm afraid the stories are not suitable for a family website  

Well done KLM and good luck with the route.

ktachiya

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:13 pm

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 8):
Beside FUK started by KLM, Air France should announce NGO nonstop from CDG soon

Do you have any source for this?

Carpethead

Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:52 pm

Quoting SR117 (Reply 5):
It's a nice city, would be nice to see a link to North America again.

I'd say the best bet would be UA 787 to SFO. Star Alliance connections at each end. Though with Fukuoka at the far-western end of Japan really limits the number of air connections without backtracking.

Quoting YULWinterSkies (Reply 16):
I hope DL is hearing you. An A332 or a (revamped) 763 service to SEA could work out just fine. DTW would be better in terms of connections, but being much further,

FUK-SEA with DL 763 would be my second pick. DL isn't going to take delivery of a 787 for years, so they really don't have any airplane that can economically fly FUK-DTW in the near future.

teme82

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:28 am

Quoting YULWinterSkies (Reply 16):
AY also has among the newest A343s, and these are certainly much upgraded from the original -311s that are certainly starting to show their age.

Yeah they do have the -300E's and they are doing fine. I was referring to the oldest planes OH-LQA and OH-LQF  
Quoting carpethead (Reply 15):

Old, LQA is one of the oldest A343s still operating but I am sure a certain airline in France is willing to part with more A340s.

Yeah I know how much AY crew likes those "older" frames... They got some nice nicknames ... If I would tell you those FBI and CIA's monitoring systems would start to glow red...  

FlySSC

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:18 pm

Quoting ktachiya (Reply 19):

AF Cabin Crew Unions are currently negociating new rules with the AF Managers as part of AF "Transform 2015" cost cut plan. NGO was recently mentionned in this occasion as they were not agree on how long Crews will stay over, as flights will not be daily ...

ktachiya

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:39 am

Quoting FlySSC (Reply 22):
AF Cabin Crew Unions are currently negociating new rules with the AF Managers as part of AF "Transform 2015" cost cut plan. NGO was recently mentionned in this occasion as they were not agree on how long Crews will stay over, as flights will not be daily ...

Thanks for the info!!! I'll be looking forward to working with AF personnel in the future!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos