tioloko100
Topic Author

Internet Airfare Prices Based On IP Addresses?

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:46 am

Its understandable that airlines and travel agents have many ways or maximising their profits but for certain travellers paying more than the rest of the world isn't a good way to go as its been discovered that we pay more than European passengers on same types of airfares due to our geographical location: Australia
Why is that?
http://flyingactive.com/content/41-great-aussie-airfare-rip-off.html

[Edited 2012-10-18 18:47:23]

BoeingVista

RE: Internet Airfare Prices Based On IP Addresses?

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:53 am

I checked this out the other day having read this article and I call BS on this. Did searches through US and UK VPN's and the prices were more or less the same. Point of origin is the determining factor in price; ie it is cheaper LHR-SYD-LHR than SYD-LHR-SYD but the location you booked the ticket from was irrelevant.
BV

aeroblogger

Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:01 am

Airlines make different fares available based on Sales City, Point of origin, and many other factors. This is no secret...

I'm not quite getting where the IP address part comes in?
Airports 2012: IXE HYD DEL BLR BOM CCU KNU KTM BKK SIN ICN LAX BUR SFO PHX IAH ORD EWR PHL PVD BOS FRA MUC IST

StuckInCA

Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:08 am

Amazon and other retailers do it. I think it will happen until maybe there's a law prohibiting it.

tioloko100
Topic Author

Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:12 am

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 3):
Amazon and other retailers do it. I think it will happen until maybe there's a law prohibiting it.

I am glad someone has seen that before

Mr AirNZ

Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:21 am

Different markets = different fares. The technology might have changed but the basic crunch of things has always existed and I'm surprised people are surprised about it. I live in a similar part of the world to the op and the same thing occurs here. Does it annoy me? Not really. I'm able to look through the topic rationally and see it's just business and the free market at work.

Gr8Circle

Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:42 am

Quoting BoeingVista (Reply 1):
checked this out the other day having read this article and I call BS on this. Did searches through US and UK VPN's and the prices were more or less the same. Point of origin is the determining factor in price; ie it is cheaper LHR-SYD-LHR than SYD-LHR-SYD but the location you booked the ticket from was irrelevant.

I don't think it's so much BS.....online ticketing sites probably do differentiate using your IP address and cookies that are downloaded to your PC.....I don't have hard evidence but I wouldn't rule it out so easily.....

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 2):

As most tickets are purchsed online these days, as against from a travel agent, the IP address is all important.....it enables the website to determine where the buyer is located.....

StuckInCA

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:35 am

I'm surprised at some of the responses so far. This sort of pricing in e-business has been coming to light lately. Wasn't Amazon or someone pricing things higher for people running iOS? Similarly, location can (and I believe is) used. We're not talking about an airfare being lower originating on one end than if it originated on the other. This is the way online pricing has been headed.

I think if algorithms calculate that you are likely to buy something at a higher price then you get the higher price. Otherwise you might get a lower price.

aklrno

Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:21 am

NZ does it. If I am in NZ, I get the NZ booking site. In the US, I get the US site, but in either case I can change to any of the international sites.

Booking AKL-CHC in the US, I get a much more limited set of offerings than I do on the NZ site. If I am in the US and planning an internal NZ flight while I'm there, I may switch to the NZ site and use a grab a seat fare that doesn't seem to be offered to me in the US.

There are also differences in long haul fares. For years AKL-LAX-AKL cost less than LAX-AKL-LAX. That seems to be reversed at the moment, but that one is harder to prove because you can't compare exactly the same dates. RIght now the difference is small, but a couple of years ago flying my round trips out of Auckland in business class could be more than $1000 less than doing it out of LAX (counting exchange rates).

In most cases for the long haul flights people would be stuck with booking from their country of residence because most countries require a return ticket (or onward travel of some kind) as a requirement for visitors. I can get away with it because I am a legal resident of both countries. When I leave LAX with the second half of a round trip ticket on a US passport I get some close scrutiny. I usually point out my residence permit in the passport.

LAXDESI

Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:38 am

A few months back while in India, I got a better deal on Expedia India site than on Expedia US site for MAA-LAX sector(one-way). Most airlines had higher fares on Expedia US site. I was surprised.

As to IP address, I have read somewhere that it is an issue and it is advisable to clear the cookies before doing another search.

[Edited 2012-10-18 23:06:05]

blueflyer

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:39 am

I repeat aeroblogger's question. What's got the buyer's IP address to do with this?

The article is complaining that a roundtrip ticket from London to Sydney is cheaper than a ticket from Sydney to London or that clothes sold in the US cost less than the same clothes sold in Australia.

There's absolutely nothing new there, and would remain true whether purchases were made online or offline.

There's also, I might add, nothing specific to Australia about that. The same Big Mac doesn't cost the same everywhere in the world, the same Camry doesn't cost the same either.

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 6):
As most tickets are purchsed online these days, as against from a travel agent, the IP address is all important.....it enables the website to determine where the buyer is located.....

True, but read the article referenced by the OP. IP address, or indeed online vs offline purchase, have nothing to do with the complaint expressed in the article. IP addresses are only mentioned in the last paragraph for no discernible reason.

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 9):
As to IP address, I have read somewhere that it is an issue and it is advisable to clear the cookies before doing another search.

IP addresses and cookies are not related.
All Hail King Donald

PlaneInsomniac

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:26 am

Not related to IP addresses, but I have often experienced that by simply selecting a different country of residence, language or currency, travel websites will show different prices. As a matter of fact, "playing" with these settings now has become one of my standard approaches to finding the lowest price. This is true for both air travel (e.g., Kayak comes to mind) and hotels, among others. Often, once you have found that specially low price and go through with the booking process, the website will then accept customer addresses / credit cards from any country - even if a certain discount was originally aimed at residents of a certain country only.
Am I cured? Slept 5 hours on last long-haul flight...

LAXDESI

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:55 am

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 10):
IP addresses and cookies are not related.

Are you sure? From wiki entry on cookies:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie

Quote:
A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is usually a small piece of data sent from a website and stored in a user's web browser while a user is browsing a website. When the user browses the same website in the future, the data stored in the cookie can be retrieved by the website to notify the website of the user's previous activity.[1] Cookies were designed to be a reliable mechanism for websites to remember the state of the website or activity the user had taken in the past. This can include clicking particular buttons, logging in, or a record of which pages were visited by the user even months or years ago.

Another link that discusses IP and cookies:
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...w-to-surf-the-web-anonymously1.htm

PlaneInsomniac

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:24 am

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 12):
Are you sure? From wiki entry on cookies

Both of your sources actually state that IP addresses and cookies are not related. (E.g., "Cookies are another way for an outside source to track your Web surfing habits.") What's your point?

[Edited 2012-10-19 02:28:25]
Am I cured? Slept 5 hours on last long-haul flight...

blueflyer

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:26 am

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 12):
Are you sure?

Yes. Professional experience tells me so.

An IP address identifies your computer on the internet, mostly for data exchange purposes (think of it as your address on the internet).

A cookie identifies you, not your computer, on a specific web site. A cookie is based on the user (in case several users can log on to the same computer) and the browser. Use two different browsers on the same computer and you have two unrelated set of cookies.

A semi-decent analogy goes like this: Your IP address is your home address and cookies are the ATM cards you have with different banks. Banks may use your address to send you statements, but if you want to withdraw money, you need an ATM card rather than just your address because you might not be the only one at that address, or you may have moved, or someone else may know your address...

As the wiki entry explains, cookies were created because tracking users online by their IP address is very unreliable, mostly because IP addresses were not designed to be used for tracking purposes, and for most users, they change very frequently, whereas tracking cookies are supposed to remain the same from session to session.

An IP address is assigned to a computer, it is the same irrespective of the browser or the user. A cookie is assigned to a specific user on a specific browser, doesn't change if/when the IP address changes, and isn't shared by other browsers or users on the same computer.

[Edited 2012-10-19 02:30:24]
All Hail King Donald

flyingturtle

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:44 am

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 14):

In addition to IP addresses and/or cookies, there is also a third way of identifying internet users: Browser characteristics, like fonts installed, plugins installed, default language, System version...

There's a test here: http://panopticlick.eff.org

My laptop:

Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 2,463,367 tested so far.

Currently, we estimate that your browser has a fingerprint that conveys at least 21.23 bits of identifying information.

David

[Edited 2012-10-19 03:44:40]
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

moo

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:04 am

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 7):
Wasn't Amazon or someone pricing things higher for people running iOS?

Amazon have in the past implemented a system whereby the price of an item fluctuates based on how often you view it, when in the day you view it and where the mouse pointer is often resting on the screen on the last view (ie, did you hover over the "add to basket" button for a period of time).

This has then been seen on many LCC websites since.

Its not illegal, nor should it be - a price is an invitation to treat and not a contract, and a seller should be allowed to use price discrimination so long as it doesn't breach equality law (and your physical location does not breach equality law).

tdscanuck

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:08 pm

Quoting tioloko100 (Thread starter):
for certain travellers paying more than the rest of the world isn't a good way to go

That's the way the whole industry works. If airlines didn't price discriminate, almost all of us would be paying a lot more to travel.

Why is that?

Because you're willing to pay more.

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 7):
Wasn't Amazon or someone pricing things higher for people running iOS?

Amazon got a bunch of bad PR for doing price discrimination based on how often people looked at an item, among other things, as listed in a prior post. As far as I know, Amazon hasn't been hit up for price discrimination on iOS. That said, several e-tailers do price discriminate based on if the request is coming from a Mac vs. a PC (Mac users have a higher willingness to pay for several classes of goods).

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 9):

Clearing the cookies will defeat any user-specific or history/pattern price discrimiation. It will not protect you from OS or IP (regional) price discrimination.

I repeat aeroblogger's question. What's got the buyer's IP address to do with this?

If an airline (or anyone else) can find a positive correlation between any data they have and your willingness to pay, they will use that to tailor the price they present you (this is a big reason why airlines would rather you book through their website than through a third party). IP is a proxy for geography, so they're attempting to correlate where you are with your willingness to pay.

Tom.

KFlyer

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:24 pm

There may be some airlines do this, but as far as I am aware it is not the majority. The IP based redirection is used to direct the visitor to the country specific site which is mainly to orientate the suitable promos/deals. (No point promoting a JFK-LHR deal to an AKL based visitor) Based on this, you get whatever the fare bucket(s) applicable to your origin (PoS). This could be what has been perceived as an IP based fare changing. In reality, such an IP based fare differentiation is simply too hard with the majority of current systems and booking engines.
The opinions above are solely my own and do not express those of my employers or clients.

StuckInCA

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:27 pm

Quoting tdscanuck (Reply 17):
As far as I know, Amazon hasn't been hit up for price discrimination on iOS.

You're right, it was Orbitz displaying higher airfares to people running Apple devices.

blueflyer

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:33 pm

IP is a proxy for geography, so they're attempting to correlate where you are with your willingness to pay.

Who is "they?" Again, IP addresses have nothing to do with the OP's complaint or the article he uses to support it. The article bemoans the fact that the same goods bought in different places have different prices, online or offline!

While it technically is possible, I'm still waiting for evidence that an airline is using a customer's IP address for price differentiation.

Quoting StuckInCA (Reply 19):
You're right, it was Orbitz displaying higher airfares to people running Apple devices.

Apple users weren't shown higher fares, they were shown pricier hotels first compared to non-Apple users. The prices were the same for all customers, what changed depending on the operating system was the order in which hotels were displayed.
All Hail King Donald

FWAERJ

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:37 pm

Amazon and other retailers do it.
That said, several e-tailers do price discriminate based on if the request is coming from a Mac vs. a PC (Mac users have a higher willingness to pay for several classes of goods).

And also based on what web browser you use. Back in the first browser war, some saw Amazon charge lower prices to Internet Explorer users than to Netscape users. Netscape may be gone, but I'm sure there are some sites that offer lower prices to Chrome or Firefox users than IE users and the other way around.
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

StuckInCA

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:41 pm

Quoting blueflyer (Reply 20):
Apple users weren't shown higher fares, they were shown pricier hotels first compared to non-Apple users. The prices were the same for all customers, what changed depending on the operating system was the order in which hotels were displayed.

OK.

My only point is that companies use all sorts of information to set pricing and, in this case, present options to customers to try to maximize their money. It is naive of anyone to think that this doesn't happen and that the only factor that could come into play is the origin of travel.

usa330300

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:00 pm

Its understandable that airlines and travel agents have many ways or maximising their profits but for certain travellers paying more than the rest of the world isn't a good way to go

For the mere fact that airlines are in the business to make money. Do all brick and mortar stores of the same ilk charge the same price for similar products in all districts? The executives of the airlines have an obligation to all stakeholders, including the customers, to maximize their profits in an effort to have a financially solvent entity. But I suppose you're one of the 'evil airline' types that resent if they make even a penny, but still expect filet mignon served. Get real.

cschleic

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:26 pm

I know from experience that if I hunt around a certain route for different dates and times, on the same computer, airfares may increase during the day. If I clear cookies and memory, the next search sometimes produces a lower fare for a given route, as if I started searching from scratch. Interesting.

Bobloblaw

Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:38 pm

I could see how a record would be kept of past purchases and would be able to judge the purchasers demand curve or price elasticity.

The article is complaining that a roundtrip ticket from London to Sydney is cheaper than a ticket from Sydney to London or that clothes sold in the US cost less than the same clothes sold in Australia.

There's absolutely nothing new there, and would remain true whether purchases were made online or offline.

This actually well predates the internet. Euro-USA fares arent the same as USA-Euro fares and havent been for decades.

n797mx

Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:05 pm

IIRC, wasn't there a post about this a year ago or two?

Edit found it:
Do Airlines Cheat Us By Saving Our IP Address? (by Eugegall Jan 9 2010 in Civil Aviation)
Clear skies and strong tail winds.

aeroblogger

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:17 pm

The fare quoted depends on the location of the sales agent, not the location of the customer. If I go to Expedia.co.in, it might give me a price lower than Expedia.com. That's because Expedia.co.in has an Indian location as sales city.

However, IP address has nothing to do with this.
Airports 2012: IXE HYD DEL BLR BOM CCU KNU KTM BKK SIN ICN LAX BUR SFO PHX IAH ORD EWR PHL PVD BOS FRA MUC IST

Plane Holland

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:06 pm

Always check multiple booking sites when searching for a ticket. Who cares if some site tries to charge a higher fare.. They could go quickly out of business wouldn't you think?

LAXDESI

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:14 pm

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 27):
The fare quoted depends on the location of the sales agent, not the location of the customer. If I go to Expedia.co.in, it might give me a price lower than Expedia.com. That's because Expedia.co.in has an Indian location as sales city.

I just did a mock search on both Expedia US and Expedia India for LAX-MAA(one way) on Oct 23, 2012. Expedia US is 30% cheaper than Expedia India on Singapore Airlines. Looks like airlines do have a different price structure based on the location of online sales agent.

scramjetter

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:59 pm

This forum affords us the opportunity to conduct a little experiment to test the premise. Why doesn't someone pick an itinerary and each participant attempts to book a flight using that itinerary. List your city and country at the time of research, and what airfare you were given. It shouldn't be too hard.

aklrno

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:13 pm

Quoting scramjetter (Reply 30):
This forum affords us the opportunity to conduct a little experiment to test the premise. Why doesn't someone pick an itinerary and each participant attempts to book a flight using that itinerary. List your city and country at the time of research, and what airfare you were given. It shouldn't be too hard.

As I pointed out in reply 8, I did that for NZ. I overrode the airline's selection of home page (which was based on my ip address) and used another country's home page. Different offerings.

QualityDr

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:13 pm

Quoting flyingturtle (Reply 15):
Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 2,463,367 tested so far.

One reason (others have surfaced in this thread) why I use anonymous browsing when looking for prices and other sensitive, customizable information, and I clear the cache and cookies religiously.

(I'm not paranoid; I KNOW they're out to get me.)
All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure. -- Mark Twain

scramjetter

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:46 pm

Quoting aklrno (Reply 31):

As I pointed out in reply 8, I did that for NZ. I overrode the airline's selection of home page (which was based on my ip address) and used another country's home page. Different offerings.

Okay, let's use your example.

Here is what I got:

Booked from: Providence, RI, USA
Airline: Air New Zealand
One way: Los Angeles - Auckland
Depart: 2012-Dec-10
Age Group: 1 Adult
Service Class: Economy - lowest
No Promo Code

Result: $833 US Dollars

Anybody else?

aeroblogger

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:52 pm

Guys, don't waste your time with this. Just go to http://matrix.itasoftware.com , and you can see the available fares from any sales city in the world.

flyingturtle

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:28 pm

Quoting scramjetter (Reply 33):
No Promo Code

Booked from: BSL (Switzerland)
No Promo Code

US$ 919

On airnewzealand.de, no flights are bookable from LAX to AKL. On the specified date (+/- 3 days), there are no flights AKL - LAX...

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

LAXDESI

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:38 pm

Here is what I got:

Booked from: Los angeles
No Promo Code

Kayak gave me lowest fare of $847 on Air New Zealand along with Orbitz and others. But it is $833 when I click the link for Air New Zealand, and $847 on Orbitz link.

Viscount724

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:10 pm

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 2):

I don't see the IP address as being relevant to the example citied in the OP which only involved fares different in each direction depending on the point of origin. That's been the case forever where two different markets and two different currencies are involved. Fares are often twice as high A-B-A than B-A-B. It's often becase demand is much higher from one point of origin than the other, or because one currency has appreciated or depreciated. Different taxes are also sometimes a factor. But usually it's just the fact that market and competitive conditions are different at each end of the route.

To determine whether the IP address was relevant in that example you would have to check to see whether the fare quoted LHR-SYD-LHR (for sale in SYD) was the same as the fare quoted in LHR (and vice versa for SYD-LHR-SYD sold in LHR rather than SYD).

Quoting aeroblogger (Reply 34):
Guys, don't waste your time with this. Just go to http://matrix.itasoftware.com , and you can see the available fares from any sales city in the world.

Don't always rely on the itasoftware site. I have often found lower fares available on an airline's own website that never appear in the itasoftware site.

[Edited 2012-10-19 16:31:05]

scramjetter

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:15 pm

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 36):
Kayak gave me lowest fare of $847 on Air New Zealand along with Orbitz and others. But it is $833 when I click the link for Air New Zealand, and $847 on Orbitz link.

So there are two different IP addresses, (from two US cities in different regions) booking the same flight, getting the same fares. So far, so good!

FWAERJ

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:37 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 37):

Don't always rely on the itasoftware site. I have often found lower fares available on an airline's own website that never appear in the itasoftware site.

There is also a newer-technology, more consumer-focused version of the ITA site called Google Flight Search: http://www.google.com/flights

Not sure if the results from there are more accurate or not.
B721/722/731/732/733/735/73G/738/739/742/752/753/762/763, A300/319/320, DC-9/10, MD-82/83/88/90, ERJ-140/145, CRJ-200/700, Q200, SF340, AS350

aeroblogger

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:40 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 39):
There is also a newer-technology, more consumer-focused version of the ITA site called Google Flight Search: http://www.google.com/flights

I don't believe you can select sales city through Google Flight Search.

tdscanuck

Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:19 am

That will give you whatever fare the airline is suppling to ITA via their CRS's. That is not necessarily the same as the fare that the airline will show you if you go directly to their site.

There seems to be this pervasive myth that there is *one* fare (per fare class)...there isn't. The airline will adjust the fare based on whatever data they can get to try to match it better to each customer's willingness to pay. Any one particular source that appears "the same" to the airline will show the same fare (that's why ITA will show the same thing) but different sources can show different fares.

Tom.

darkroast

Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:26 am

Happened to me on Air Canada once. I kept looking up fares from YYZ-YYC over the course of a few days and the prices seemed to be increasing, quite dramatically on the last day. However, using a different browser yielded lower fares. I then cleared out cookies and (voila!) got the lower fares on my primary browser. At that point I was pretty convinced that AC was upto something and resolved to clear cookies whenever I went to aircanada.ca. However, I never saw a repeat of that behaviour. Most people I tell this to don't believe this could have happened.

Oh well......

aklrno

Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:33 am

Quoting aklrno (Reply 31):

Okay, let's use your example.

Here is what I got:

No Promo Code

Anybody else?

That is not a good example of what I meant. NZ will not let you book an itinerary originating in NZ from the US website or a US origin from NZ. The better case is to book a domestic flight from various places. That is allowed. When I did that I got similar prices for the same service, but not all service levels were available from the US site. I could get a very cheap grab-a-seat fare in NZ, but not in the US. You can try comparing AKL-LAX-AKL with LAX-AKL-LAX on the same days, but those are different flights. Even though is is similar, there is no reason for the fares to be identical. That's why I used domestic.

Plane Holland

Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:43 am

Quoting LAXDESI (Reply 29):

Which is also the case offline. I think what many here mistake is that travel agents get different prices. When a travel agent sells many tickets for a specific airline he will get better prices from the airline. It's not different when you are a travel agent online. At least that's how it works in The Netherlands and Germany for as far as I know.

SQ22

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:01 am

Here is what I got:

No Promo Code

Anybody else?

I'm getting the same, the German NZ site seems not to accept to make bookings for flights from the States to Auckland. The price with kayak.de is the same, there is only a small difference due to RoE issues.

tioloko100
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:37 am

I am not surprised as another user said the same things about amazon doing the same thing to its customers

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos