Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

plateman
Topic Author

United 'Groundbreaking' At Dulles (IAD)

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:22 pm

MWAA - the airport operator just teased a photo on Twitter about a groundbreaking. Any idea what is going to be built? Are we finally getting a real terminal there?

From @DCAirports
Good things happen when planes and podiums show up together! @united Groundbreaking today at #IAD Dulles pic.twitter.com/JVGILqZT
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

STT757

RE: United 'Groundbreaking' At Dulles (IAD)

Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:38 pm

Quoting plateman (Thread starter):
Any idea what is going to be built

It's most likely the new widebody hangar, last year UA announced they would build a new hangar at IAD (their first there) and a fifth hangar at EWR.

https://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...eneral_aviation/read.main/5376787/

All these years UA never had a maintenance facility at IAD, the new hangar and new flights like IAD-HNL show UA is committed to IAD for the long haul.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

plateman
Topic Author

Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:53 pm

Yep, you hit it on head ...

Groundbreaking completed at #IAD Dulles for a new @united widebody aircraft maintenance hangar pic.twitter.com/eoOj5LS1

Too bad, they really, really need a new terminal at Dulles. If/when I fly UA outta IAD, I;'ll always relax on A/B pre-flight and transfer as late as possible to their trailers
"Explore. Dream. Discover." -Mark Twain

LAXintl

Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:04 pm

Here was the press release:

$45mil, 125,000 square foot (hold 2 large planes), 1-year to complete.

United Airlines Begins Construction Of New Widebody Hangar At Washington Dulles
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/united...nstruction-widebody-143500256.html

=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

neveragain

Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:30 pm

Out of curiosity, is this hangar intended to replace widebody maintenance handled at other major maintenance facilities in UA's system? It does not seem that they are growing the widebody fleet in aggregate, as 787 acquisitions are largely being offset by 762 retirements, at least for the near-future. Additionally, my crude understanding is that subsequent 787 and A350 deliveries will allow for the phasing out of the three-cabin 767 aircraft from the fleet, again keeping overall expansion relatively modest. Will SFO/ORD/IAH/etc. see reduced maintenance activities once the IAD facility is brought online?

Separately, the press release says "United Airlines today broke ground on its first widebody aircraft maintenance hangar at Washington Dulles International Airport, a major United hub and the airline's principal gateway to the Middle East." Is IAD really the principal gateway?

By my crude mental calculations, UA operates 2x 772s from IAD to the Middle East (DXB, KWI) and 2x 772s from EWR to TLV per day. In terms of frequencies, the two hubs appear to tied for flights to the Middle East. If seats are used, EWR would be a larger gateway given the denser cabin configuration used on the TLV routes. It seems dubious, at best, to claim that IAD is the principal Middle East gateway...unless this is a forward-looking press release. (note: I have no personal bias against IAD...just seemed a strange statement to make in a press release given the relatively few existing Middle East services ex-IAD)

lhcvg

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:00 pm

Quoting neveragain (Reply 4):

There will probably be some shifting around of mx, but I'd say the most important impact is the extra capacity (not to mention new at IAD) giving you that much more flexibility. Having a heavy mx capability at a major international gateway makes a lot of sense and can eliminate a lot of headaches, so it can be a great help on the operations side and help a/c flows across the system.

LAXintl

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:08 pm

The driving need for the hangar was to provide a sheltered location for things like engine changes, or structural repairs.
Its not very pretty to be doing out in the rain or snow.

Intent is not to open a heavier maintenance check line, but instead to provide better facilities for the line work already being performed. Hence the relative small size for the new facility.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Rdh3e

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:20 pm

It seems dubious, at best, to claim that IAD is the principal Middle East gateway...unless this is a forward-looking press release.

EWR is one destination, IAD is effectively 4. DXB, DOH, KWI, BAH.

prchan

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:02 pm

There is the IAD-GRU daily flight, operated by a 772 (usually non IPTE).

hiflyer

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:10 pm

Going in right next to the existing UAX barn...originally ACA...then Indy..then Colgan....story is UA takes that over as well for parts....

kgaiflyer

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 7):
It seems dubious, at best, to claim that IAD is the principal Middle East gateway...unless this is a forward-looking press release.

EWR is one destination, IAD is effectively 4. DXB, DOH, KWI, BAH.

Probably based on military deployment.

Nevertheless, not even a 763 to TLV from Dulles?

Rdh3e

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:10 pm

Quoting kgaiflyer (Reply 10):

Probably based on military deployment.

Nevertheless, not even a 763 to TLV from Dulles?

As we've seen with MAN/DUB/SNN, any TATL flying that is 2x daily is subject to moving the second frequency somewhere else, so we'll see if EWRTLV stays where it is or if it moves to IAD at some point.

shaq

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:32 pm

Quoting RDH3E (Reply 11):

EWR-TLV is a very special case.
This is a big O/D route, and MAN/DUB/SNN was had a lot of connecting traffic.
The connecting traffic is moving to IAD, but EWRTLV is mainly high-yield O/D.
Studying hard, for flying right!

United1

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:47 pm

Quoting SHAQ (Reply 12):
EWRTLV is mainly high-yield O/D.

EWR-TLV is a huge O/D route but its not high yielding....lots of VFR traffic.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

strfyr51

Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:09 am

the IAD hangar is not to remove maintenance from other stations but to make IADMM more self sufficient. Dulles has handled most everything ever put to it with he exception of scheduled Engine changes and gear swings where the airplane has needed jacking. (unless it's an emergency.) Now they'll have the facilities to handle everything in house and we'll never need to ferry aircraft to ORD, DEN or SFO for further work. This should have happened MANY years ago when they announced that IAD was going to be a hub. We've been flying transcon service in there for all of MY 29 years at United but in all honesty I'm SURE glad we're doing it at all. I've worked out in the cold and even though you do what you need to do?
It's Much easier to get a big job done in a nice warm hangar in the winter time.

bohica

Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:06 am

Quoting hiflyer (Reply 9):
Going in right next to the existing UAX barn...originally ACA...then Indy..then Colgan.

It doesn't look there's enough room between the old Flyi hangar and Landmark Aviation to fit a hangar big enough for two widebodies. The only area along 19C I can see would be the location of the old Red economy lot.

Quoting hiflyer (Reply 9):
.story is UA takes that over as well for parts....

That is a lot of area just for parts in my opinion. That hangar is 80,000 square feet if I recall correctly. I guess they have plans for the rest of the hangar maybe?

ramprat74

Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:54 am

From the pic on the Employee's website. It will be just another boring gray building at Dulles. It's about time they built hangar at IAD. Now, how about a real concourse?

deltal1011man

Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:20 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 1):
pic.twitter.com/JVGILqZT

just want to note....if hangars mean anything then UAL would have a good bit of employees at IND and OAK......

all it takes is the "need to cut cost" and its just another empty building.

COSPN

Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:48 am

It makes sense to have a hanger where the Widebodies operate HNL, LAX,SFO,DEN,ORD,IAH,EWR,IAD "offline" hangers just dont make sense like IND,OAK, HOU (Houston Hobby).... MCO, GUM, CLE also have hangers GUM and CLE are hubs MCO has lots of traffic and is "warm"

xjramper

Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:53 am

Last I checked, IND and OAK aren't UA hubs. Just a note.....  

I agree with the poster who said that they need to replace the current C/D buildings well before they invest in a MX product.
Look ma' no hands!

LOWS

Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:07 am

Quoting xjramper (Reply 19):
I agree with the poster who said that they need to replace the current C/D buildings well before they invest in a MX product.

I remember when I used 4Square, there is a checkin for C/D called „Dulles Detention Center, Homeless Shelter, & Flight Attendant Domicile“ which describes my feelings about that retched place entirely all too well.

If UA really wants to be the United States' premier international airline, than would it hurt so much as to have decent facilities? I'm looking at you too, Newark „Global Gateway.“

VC10er

Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:47 pm

I think anything United does at IAD is great. I do wonder when such an already huge hub for UA has such sub-par customer experience needs. The Global First Club is SO OLD it still has furniture from when credit card phones were on the end tables...we all used these phones before cell phones, same in the ex RCC. Some cosmetic changes to the concourses have improved, and the trains are great.

If United splits its widebody long hauls between EWR and IAD, then WHY do they use only old and small RJ's as shuttles between the 2 hubs? Not even E170's.

So I'm very happy UA can fix equipment indoors at IAD, but they also need a lot more.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

msp747

Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:11 pm

A new C/D concourse - similar to the newer A/B concourse - would truly make Dulles a world class airport. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening any time soon. IAD's operating costs are already sky high, which is killing domestic flight options out of the airport. Add the cost of a new concourse, which I'm sure would push a billion dollars (considering how MWAA spends their money), and you are going to have costs rivaling Miami.

hiflyer

Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:13 pm

The new barn is going west off the end of the existing UAX barn towards the runway....not between the UAX barn and the general aviation crown......

AADC10

Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:43 pm

The new maintenance facilities will allow UA to cut the domestic turns that the widebodies have been making, possibly a harbinger of the end of the LAX-IAD 772 flights and other domestic widebody routes.

xjramper

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:46 am

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 24):
The new maintenance facilities will allow UA to cut the domestic turns that the widebodies have been making, possibly a harbinger of the end of the LAX-IAD 772 flights and other domestic widebody routes.

Hmm...i haven't been able to find the 777 on the IAD-LAX run for a month now.
Look ma' no hands!

COSPN

Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:17 am

Quoting xjramper (Reply 19):
Last I checked, IND and OAK aren't UA hubs. Just a note.....

IND and OAK are "for lease" thats the point..

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos